what the papers say... Nicky Shorey

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 02 Jun 2007 14:26

Got a cracking pic of Kaka, Ronaldinho, Gerrard and our Shorey which Ill upload later!! :)

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 02 Jun 2007 14:47

Rev Algenon Stickleback H Shorey for England!

Thanks for a new wallpaper!

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 02 Jun 2007 15:05

Cracking pic, Rev'und.

Shame on the FA for not recruiting volunteer seat-fillers for Club Wembley sections --embarrassing empty red ponds visible on-screen throughout... :roll:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Jun 2007 16:43

football365.com Only sentiment can spare Shorey a proper critique. As a Reading player, he was competent. Judged as an England player, or at least on the basis of what it is reasonable to expect from an England player, Shorey was mediocre.

Mediocre - yes because he really looked out of place amongst all the other 'star quality' on display in a tepid match didn't he :roll:

FootbaLOLLOL 365

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Jun 2007 16:58

RoyalChicagoFC Cracking pic, Rev'und.

Shame on the FA for not recruiting volunteer seat-fillers for Club Wembley sections --embarrassing empty red ponds visible on-screen throughout... :roll:
it might not have been quite as bad as it looked on tv (I guess, having not seen the tv pictures) as that section was about half-full, and naturally those down the front took the chance to move back to better seats.

Mind you, I went to the League 2 play-off final there last week, and club wembley was an embarrassing red hoop around the stadium, as only about 500 of the 15000 seat holders bothered turning up. Quite why that particular section was only half full when all the other club seats looked full is something of a mystery.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 02 Jun 2007 17:52

I'm not those empy seats were Club Wembley were they ?
I had assumed they were VIP seats / sponsor seats etc as they weren;t part of the middle tier but a section of the lower tier.
Although you'd think VIPs would fancy a trip to about the most glamourous non competitive international fixture !

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 02 Jun 2007 18:36

i don't recall either lineker or hansen mentioning shorey by name once in the build up, half time or closing comments (not even after pressing the red button).

I don't mean to get all blue tinted specs but surely a young lad making his debut on such a big stage merited at least a word.

Poor!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jun 2007 18:41

Overshadowed by Beckham's return... otherwise I expect he would have had more than a word about him.

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 02 Jun 2007 18:43

oh yeah, i realise it was the becks effect but they had a half hour build up, surely a 30 second, "And a word on Nicky Shorey's surprise call up Alan(s)"

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 02 Jun 2007 18:43

Most of the articles and comments about him focused his wedding the next day rather than his England debut :roll:

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 02 Jun 2007 18:46

Katie Marsden Most of the articles and comments about him focused his wedding the next day rather than his England debut :roll:

but not even a lineker 'some stag do for the lad' quip.

at least crooks did the boy proud. :wink:

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 02 Jun 2007 19:30

Poor lad's married now.

:roll:

Good luck fella.

Actually his missus was interviewed on BBCRB on Friday morning and I have to say she sounded an absolute diamond. Not the slightest bit bothered about the wedding just completely excited him about playing for England.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 02 Jun 2007 19:40

Tails Shorey played to the plans of McClaren. Surely this is a clear observation. Last night was much about sticking to the basics and avoiding a moral destructive defeat. This would require the defence to be conservative and not 'buccunearing', what was shorey? exactly this, solid and conservative. When the option to overlap was the appropriate choice, he did so. It was Cole arrogance that was to the detriment of Englands quest for a victory, not Shoreys, perhaps Shorey should have showed a little more punch and DEMANDED the ball and if not, bollck Cole for being a selfish cnut.

But for what Shorey did, against the opposition, and what he probably was asked to do..

I would rate him a 7.

Exactly right, I agree 100% with this. Shorey was told what to do and he did it perfectly.

We know of his attacking capabilities because we are Reading fans but he was never going to be given that latitude in his debut against Brazil.

The main thing is that he has established himself as an option at left back when Bridge and Cole are not available. The bonus is that we will never see Philip Neville play for England in that position again!

Well done Nicky!

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 03 Jun 2007 01:01

igoe agogo i don't recall either lineker or hansen mentioning shorey by name once in the build up, half time or closing comments (not even after pressing the red button).

I don't mean to get all blue tinted specs but surely a young lad making his debut on such a big stage merited at least a word.

Poor!!

They did LOL (kind of affectionately) at Shorey briefly pre match - saying he was unlucky to have to stake his claim for the shirt in a match where he would probably be having to deal with Kaka for 90 mins. I think.

And he did very well. BRAZIL! :D Well done Nicky.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Jun 2007 08:06

From DAILY TELEGRAPH:
2/6/7

Nicky Shorey
Rating - 7

"An England debut the night before his wedding, but if he was nervous he did not show it. Confident in possession, but had to check the attacking qualities he shows at club level."

Pretty much spot on. One of the only papers to acknowledge him having to check the attacking qualities we know he has. A bit of a no-brainer bearing in mind we were playing Brazil but a good show by the daily telegraph.

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 03 Jun 2007 09:16

2 world wars, 1 world cup From DAILY TELEGRAPH:
2/6/7

Nicky Shorey
Rating - 7

"An England debut the night before his wedding, but if he was nervous he did not show it. Confident in possession, but had to check the attacking qualities he shows at club level."

Pretty much spot on. One of the only papers to acknowledge him having to check the attacking qualities we know he has. A bit of a no-brainer bearing in mind we were playing Brazil but a good show by the daily telegraph.

Not only that, but the only players given a score of above 6 were: Gerrard 8, Terry 7, and Shorey 7.

I am inclined to agree with the poster who thought that Joe Cole was inclined to ignore him when it same to doing one-twos. I think he wanted to show off his skills at passing people, or maybe he was obeying orders.

Gordon Cumming's right ho

by Gordon Cumming's right ho » 03 Jun 2007 10:09

Joe Cole - the fat runt might be able to skip past three or four players in the Prem but against a Brazil team that are just streets ahead on the ball and work so damned hard for each other, too, he just looked slow and ponderous in possession. Nicky gave him the wide "out" ball option loads of times and he never took it....

Alan Smith - was poor because his first touch - even when the ball from Nicky was played to feet - was so, so wretched...

Solid performance from England's number three - and didn't you just love the juggling in the penalty area prior to clearing. Assured and calm in possession.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 03 Jun 2007 10:40

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
RoyalChicagoFC Cracking pic, Rev'und.

it might not have been quite as bad as it looked on tv (I guess, having not seen the tv pictures) as that section was about half-full, and naturally those down the front took the chance to move back to better seats.

Mind you, I went to the League 2 play-off final there last week, and club wembley was an embarrassing red hoop around the stadium, as only about 500 of the 15000 seat holders bothered turning up. Quite why that particular section was only half full when all the other club seats looked full is something of a mystery.

The Club Wembley seats don't cover for the Play Off finals.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Jun 2007 10:48

I noticed one or two little errors, a bad cross here, a second of possession wasted there (the latter put him in quite a tight spot).

What did annoy was that Cole would go inside, Shorey would start to move onto the overlap but there was no attempt to really use the overlap. Maybe that's game plan, maybe that's Cole being Cole.

I'd say 6 would be accurate - slow, steady, not pushing himself but also not really caught out.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jun 2007 11:56

Was incredible to see him get caught in tight positions down at the side of the pitch being pressed by the likes of Kaka, and just tie them up in knots until he could make the space to play an easy and simple pass to a white shirt, rather than humping it up field or into touch.

Did it 3 or 4 times.

I think we'd see a more familiar Shorey against a lesser team.

I think Joe Cole is one of the few players we have who can turn a game, but sadly he tries to do too much too often in too showy a way.

Personally my England team given all fit would be:

Robinson
G Neville(sadly) Carragher Terry Cole
Beckham Gerrard Hargreaves Downing
Owen Rooney

Ferdinand, Shorey, Carrick, Cole, Lampard, Lennon/SWP, Foster, Crouch.

Not neccessarily all world beaters, but it's a formation with a consistant approach and a team taht is likely to play for each other rather than a bunch of superstars out to earn more sponsorship money. Plenty of impact players on the bench.