Seol... on Yahoo news

158 posts

by 1960 » 04 Jun 2007 16:06

Adding up various spells I have spent about a year of my life living in France, some of the time with French people. I have only once ever eaten snails there. And the only time I have eaten frogs' legs was once at a French restaurant in England. Doesn't exactly reinforce the frog stereotype does it?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 16:07

1960 Adding up various spells I have spent about a year of my life living in France, some of the time with French people. I have only once ever eaten snails there. And the only time I have eaten frogs' legs was once at a French restaurant in England. Doesn't exactly reinforce the frog stereotype does it?

Doesn't mean that they don't eat them.

Not every single restaurant in England do roast beef.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jun 2007 16:08

WTRoyal
zac naloen
it would be like other nationalities laughing at us for only ever eating roast beef.........

There's another way to cook beef???

:shock:

<spod alert>
Technically of course what most of us would traditionally call "roast beef" in this country is actually "baked beef" because it is cooked in an enclosed oven.

For beef to be roasted it needs to be cooked over an open fire, generally on a spit.

This is why other countries do actually laugh at us because of our beef-eating inaccuracies and why the French derogatory nickname for us is "Les Rosbif" because they think it's funny that not only do we perceptually eat nothing but "roast" beef, it's not even actually roast beef we're eating but baked beef.
</spod alert>

There, that's better. HTH!

Considering no one has an open fire anymore and Baked Beef just sounds ridiculous i think it's a perfectly acceptable omission.

*add to that*

Until the advent of the modern age the meal was traditionally roasted as expected, it's just a name for a traditional meal thats stuck.

If the French were forced to change the name of a meal because of a change in technology there would be a riot of old people.
Last edited by zac naloen on 04 Jun 2007 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 16:10

zac naloen
WTRoyal
zac naloen
it would be like other nationalities laughing at us for only ever eating roast beef.........

<spod alert>
Technically of course what most of us would traditionally call "roast beef" in this country is actually "baked beef" because it is cooked in an enclosed oven.

For beef to be roasted it needs to be cooked over an open fire, generally on a spit.

This is why other countries do actually laugh at us because of our beef-eating inaccuracies and why the French derogatory nickname for us is "Les Rosbif" because they think it's funny that not only do we perceptually eat nothing but "roast" beef, it's not even actually roast beef we're eating but baked beef.
</spod alert>

Considering no one has an open fire anymore and Baked Beef just sounds ridiculous i think it's a perfectly acceptable omission.

Mmmmm. Roast potatoes are done in ovens, aren't they. Baked beans are boiled in pans.

:?

by 1960 » 04 Jun 2007 16:22

SpaceCruiser Doesn't mean that they don't eat them.

I might have known Spacey would complain. I did state that some of the time was with French people - and they would have been sure to treat me to frogs' legs if they ate them at all. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of a nice old piece of racial prejudice, eh?

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 16:34

SpaceCruiser
zac naloen
WTRoyal
zac naloen

<spod alert>

</spod alert>

Mmmmm. Roast potatoes are done in ovens, aren't they. Baked beans are boiled in pans.

:?

It's all very confusing, isn't it, especially if we consider that the very same oven that is producing those roast potatoes could in fact be used for producing baked potatoes - perhaps even at the same time.

I think the issues with cookery nomenclature in this country are all Steve McLaren's fault and if he could just bring himself to select some players from "lesser" teams to play for their country we'd see Nicky Shorey in a number 3 shirt.

In any case I think riots of old people should be made into a compulsory spectator sport, I can just hear the whine of the armour-plated mobility scooters and the clash of the zimmer frame now - it could be televised - a bit like robot wars but with the operators in the arena. They could use football stadia in the closed season - perfect!

PS I agree that baked beef sounds ridiculous and have removed my name from the official Downing Street petition to get its name changed

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 16:38

I might have known Spacey would complain. I did state that some of the time was with French people - and they would have been sure to treat me to frogs' legs if they ate them at all. Still, don't let the facts get in the way of a nice old piece of racial prejudice, eh?

Yes, but you didn't exactly stay with every single Frenchman, did you? Then how do you know that this sterotype doesn't exist?

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jun 2007 16:38

It's all very confusing, isn't it, especially if we consider that the very same oven that is producing those roast potatoes could in fact be used for producing baked potatoes - perhaps even at the same time.

In my house we appear to put our Baked Potatoes under the Grill :shock:

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jun 2007 16:39

SpaceCruiser

Yes, but you didn't exactly stay with every single Frenchman, did you? Then how do you know that this sterotype doesn't exist?

Frogs legs and snail eating is a speciality you get at up-market French restaurants (just like in the UK) and not eaten by the average French person.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 16:40

zac naloen

Translation for our colleagues across the pond: Broiler

...oh and in our house we used to do "Baked" potatoes in the microwave...

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jun 2007 16:42

WTRoyal
zac naloen

Translation for our colleagues across the pond: Broiler

...oh and in our house we used to do "Baked" potatoes in the microwave...

*Cue a group of French aristocrats laughing at the simple englishman*
Last edited by zac naloen on 04 Jun 2007 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 04 Jun 2007 16:46

Lazy c**t!

Cheerio then, no loss!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2007 16:52

whilst i agree with most on the whole potato roast/baked discussion

the addition of baked beans to the list is plain wrong

whilst indeed we cook the beans in the pot, or microwave(making them boiled beans)
they are already pre-baked prior to entering the tin

so really they should be called baked beans when cold
and boiled baked beans after warming through

thank you

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 16:55

brendywendy whilst i agree with most on the whole potato roast/baked discussion

whilst indeed we cook the beans in the pot, or microwave(making them boiled beans)

thank you

...which brings us to the tricky question of the other traditional English staple fare favoured by cockneys, boiled beef and carrots...

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 04 Jun 2007 16:56

thank you

If you're boiling them you've gone too far. Simmered beans maybe.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jun 2007 16:57

...which brings us to the tricky question of the other traditional English staple fare favoured by cockneys, boiled beef and carrots...

I thought boiling carrots was fairly standard fare?

Boiling beef doesn't really make sense to me, much the same as boiling a Ham before Roasting it.. Although I did do that as Christmas as the instructions told me too.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2007 16:59

donface

thank you

no no no

simmering only occurs once the heat is turned down after reaching boiling point. simmering is maintaining boiling point without over heating

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 17:04

zac naloen

I thought boiling carrots was fairly standard fare?

Boiling beef doesn't really make sense to me, much the same as boiling a Ham before Roasting it.. Although I did do that as Christmas as the instructions told me too.

BOILING carrots? Dear oh dear no, you'll lose all the nutrients. Steam them, for goodness' sake!

As for boiled beef, well, it's just another way of cooking it - produces that lovely pink, crumbly texture beloved of those without any teeth.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 17:07

brendywendy
donface

thank you

no no no

simmering only occurs once the heat is turned down after reaching boiling point. simmering is maintaining boiling point without over heating

...was going to take issue with that but am very glad I checked at least one source before doing so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simmering

brendywendy I remove my headwear in acknowledgement of your cookery-term knowledge superiority - as I am not a professional chef I have no desire to debate the appropriate temperature and appearance of liquids simmering constantly

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jun 2007 17:13

BOILING carrots? Dear oh dear no, you'll lose all the nutrients. Steam them, for goodness' sake!

Heat the water till it boils chuck em in for a couple of minutes. None of that Poncey Steaming crap. :P

158 posts