Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 14:07

Ray Hiron

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 08 Jun 2007 14:11

Franchise FC Ray Hiron

I thought that he was a centre forward who was just too old and knackered to get far enough up the pitch to get to the proper position ( although he did score a few important goals, and a had a fair stab at emergency centre back if I remember correctly)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 14:26

wolsey
Franchise FC Ray Hiron

I thought that he was a centre forward who was just too old and knackered to get far enough up the pitch to get to the proper position ( although he did score a few important goals, and a had a fair stab at emergency centre back if I remember correctly)

Actually, I think he started up front, but as you say, a lot of the game passed him by. Maybe that's a good enough reason to be included in the midfield.

By the way ----- Wayne oxf*rd.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 08 Jun 2007 14:28

Franchise FC
wolsey
Franchise FC Ray Hiron

Actually, I think he started up front, but as you say, a lot of the game passed him by. Maybe that's a good enough reason to be included in the midfield.

Now you're being silly....

I raise you Wayne Tutty

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 14:30

wolsey
Franchise FC
wolsey
Franchise FC Ray Hiron

I raise you Wayne Tutty

I'll match your Tutty and raise you Malcolm Swain (if you're old enough)

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 08 Jun 2007 14:33

Franchise FC
wolsey
Franchise FC
wolsey
Franchise FC Ray Hiron

I raise you Wayne Tutty

I am but I thought I had expunged the memory! Frank Parsons, John Pratt, Denis Butler (jnr)......Doctor!!!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 14:41

wolsey
Franchise FC
wolsey
Franchise FC
wolsey
Franchise FC Ray Hiron

I raise you Wayne Tutty

I am but I thought I had expunged the memory! Frank Parsons, John Pratt, Denis Butler (jnr)......Doctor!!!

You need to take your medication .... and quick.

I thought when we got this old that the memory started to go. When it comes to a few of those I wish it had.

And I raise ..... Denis Wagstaff & Barry Wagstaff

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 08 Jun 2007 14:52

Was Denis Wagstaff the less talented brother of Tony (and therefore didnt play for Reading) or is my memory going after all?

btw I always thought that Barry was a half decent midfielder - although I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to whether he was defensive, attacking, holding etc.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 14:55

wolsey Was Denis Wagstaff the less talented brother of Tony (and therefore didnt play for Reading) or is my memory going after all?

btw I always thought that Barry was a half decent midfielder - although I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to whether he was defensive, attacking, holding etc.

No - it's me :oops: I got myself confused by the Butlers. It was Tony.

I remember Barry being a bit (how can I put this kindly) well, stout.

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 08 Jun 2007 15:04

AbovetheI Without including the most likely entrants, i'll go for Ricky Newman. Couldn't shoot, pass or run, but he could sure tackle well!

Same could be said for Parky.

Yes, full of passion, a tough tackler and commanding captain but was he really one of the greatest midfielders to have played for Reading? I don't think so. Too many rose-tinted spectacles, I think.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 08 Jun 2007 15:07

Berkshire Born
AbovetheI Without including the most likely entrants, i'll go for Ricky Newman. Couldn't shoot, pass or run, but he could sure tackle well!

Same could be said for Parky.

Yes, full of passion, a tough tackler and commanding captain but was he really one of the greatest midfielders to have played for Reading? I don't think so. Too many rose-tinted spectacles, I think.

and your suggestions are?.. when all's said and done, it's all about opinions and memories.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 15:08

wolsey Was Denis Wagstaff the less talented brother of Tony (and therefore didnt play for Reading) or is my memory going after all?

By the way, in the desperate hope of restoring some credibility, wasn't Frank Parsons a goalkeeper, rather than a midfielder.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 08 Jun 2007 15:13

Franchise FC

By the way, in the desperate hope of restoring some credibility, wasn't Frank Parsons a goalkeeper, rather than a midfielder.

Yes (so was John Pratt) - I was just trying to think of the most frightening performances I had seen in a Reading shirt. (3 - 0 down to Stockport, bottom of the league after about 10 minutes). I could also have added Michael Barnes (a recurring nightmare at centre back) but I really didnt want to have to

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 15:19

wolsey Yes (so was John Pratt) - I was just trying to think of the most frightening performances I had seen in a Reading shirt. (3 - 0 down to Stockport, bottom of the league after about 10 minutes). I could also have added Michael Barnes (a recurring nightmare at centre back) but I really didnt want to have to

Two notable things about Michael Barnes.

1. He scored an equalizer at Wigan in the last minute when I was back on the coach feeling sick.

2. He couldn't prevent me from scoring when I played against him !!!! :lol: :lol: (He must've been really, really, $h!t)

p.s. Why were you TRYING to think of the most frightening performances !!!

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 08 Jun 2007 15:41

Franchise FC
wolsey Yes (so was John Pratt) - I was just trying to think of the most frightening performances I had seen in a Reading shirt. (3 - 0 down to Stockport, bottom of the league after about 10 minutes). I could also have added Michael Barnes (a recurring nightmare at centre back) but I really didnt want to have to

Two notable things about Michael Barnes.

1. He scored an equalizer at Wigan in the last minute when I was back on the coach feeling sick.

2. He couldn't prevent me from scoring when I played against him !!!! :lol: :lol: (He must've been really, really, $h!t)

p.s. Why were you TRYING to think of the most frightening performances !!!

Just trying to counter the sense of joy and disbelief of the last seven years in general and the last two in particular ( must have a Puritan streak in me)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 15:47

wolsey Just trying to counter the sense of joy and disbelief of the last seven years in general and the last two in particular ( must have a Puritan streak in me)

I still think I'm going to wake up on the morning after a home defeat to Plymouth.

Doesn't make me want to remember the bad times TOO much, though.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 08 Jun 2007 16:13

Hurlock was top entertainment, what an animal and he could play abit just as long as he stayed on the pitch.

Beavon; another great servant of RFC.

All this has me thinking about EP again and all those fond memories.

hellopremiership

by hellopremiership » 08 Jun 2007 16:16

Upson :wink: