Do we need to sign anybody else?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Do we need to sign anybody else?

by BR2 » 08 Jun 2007 14:23

I was out of the country last week and when I got back expected to see the names of all the players that we have signed,especially with Coppell and Hammond having both said that they intended and hoped to get the major signings done and dusted early in the close season.
With no news I then started to think again about what we need.
Assuming everybody is fit we have 3 keepers,3 full backs plus Halford,about 7 centre-backs,5 wide men,3 central midfielders and 4 strikers.
I suppose "fit" is the key word.
With everyone fit and available I would suggest that we need another target striker (Zamora or somebody) so that Long can be loaned out and get some competitive games under his belt.

So having spent £1million out of the massive budget for next season do we need to spend any more or wait until the new year and splash out if necessary?
Will signing of better players mean that we have a chance of 6th or 7th place and a place in Europe that the club probably still doesn't want?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 14:28

Yes !

Thanks for the thread - albeit a short one :wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Do we need to sign anybody else?

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jun 2007 14:31

BR2 So having spent £1million out of the massive budget for next season

[Pedant]approx £650,000[/Pedant]

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 08 Jun 2007 14:36

Yes

End of thread

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jun 2007 14:38

to survive i think we can do without any more aquisitions just
to finish top half we have to move on and progress like all the other teams are doing
i would like to see one more midfielder,plus a winger, and a centre back of better quality than what we have now in order to do this.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 08 Jun 2007 14:45

brendywendy to survive i think we can do without any more aquisitions just
to finish top half we have to move on and progress like all the other teams are doing
i would like to see one more midfielder,plus a winger, and a centre back of better quality than what we have now in order to do this.

When you say "midfielder" what do you mean?
A ball-player like Koumas or a running machine like Ben Watson.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 08 Jun 2007 14:46

I want to see a young holding midfielder arrive who can be moulded into the team across the season.

But other than that... no positions where we desperately need a signing come to mind..

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 08 Jun 2007 14:55

By the sounds of things, that is what Cisse is...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jun 2007 14:59

I'd like to see us bring in two wingers and a central midfielder to add to Cisse. Think we're more than fine for centre backs now, Golbourne will be a year older to cover for Shorey, Halford's more than good enough cover for Murty and our strikers are fine

Daniella

by Daniella » 08 Jun 2007 15:01

zac naloen I want to see a young holding midfielder arrive who can be moulded into the team across the season.

But other than that... no positions where we desperately need a signing come to mind..

Agree, centre mid is a must. I believe we need at least two additions there.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Jun 2007 15:04

Keeper if Stack goes, striker, one more centre mid, a winger with pace. That'll do.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 08 Jun 2007 15:10

Daniella
zac naloen I want to see a young holding midfielder arrive who can be moulded into the team across the season.

Cisse strikes me as a squad player, perhaps a Gunnarsson replacement as he's getting on a bit, from their earlier comments.

Someone I'd really like is Huddlestone. Let Harper run around and make a nuisance of himself attacking whilst Huddlestone sends balls out to the wingers and helps out the defense.

We can probably wait until January or even end of next season to start thinking about a new winger. But it's not desperate as we have a couple of academy players who are close to making the grade there.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 08 Jun 2007 15:15

I would say we NEED 1 further player - the obvious Sidwell replacement.

Beyond that I would IDEALLY like another striker to compete with / cover for Kitson.

Depending on other factors we MAY need left back cover (which would depend on how the club see Goldbourne's progress / readiness) and left wing cover (depending on how Bobby recovers).

We could sign anyone anywhere if they improved what we have already.

I see no reason to worry about the keeper, centre back or right back positions as we have enough first choice and cover in all those.

Right wing is fine if Seol stays.

If De La Cruz / Oster move then we'd probably need to either replace them to keep squad depth or accept that Osano / Henry must step up and become contedners for the first team.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 08 Jun 2007 15:17

zac naloen
Daniella

Cisse strikes me as a squad player, perhaps a Gunnarsson replacement as he's getting on a bit, from their earlier comments.

Someone I'd really like is Huddlestone. Let Harper run around and make a nuisance of himself attacking whilst Huddlestone sends balls out to the wingers and helps out the defense.

We can probably wait until January or even end of next season to start thinking about a new winger. But it's not desperate as we have a couple of academy players who are close to making the grade there.

Don't fool yourself. Seeing that our most promising academy winger could not break into a poor Forest side at the end of the season, I very much doubt we have the players ready to jump from Academy to Preiership (Golbourne included). It's a huge jump to make.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jun 2007 15:25

BR2
brendywendy to survive i think we can do without any more aquisitions just

When you say "midfielder" what do you mean?
A ball-player like Koumas or a running machine like Ben Watson.

id like to see koumas here to be fair

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 08 Jun 2007 15:26

Don't fool yourself. Seeing that our most promising academy winger could not break into a poor Forest side at the end of the season, I very much doubt we have the players ready to jump from Academy to Preiership (Golbourne included). It's a huge jump to make.

I'd have said Bozanic was actually our most promising winger.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 08 Jun 2007 15:30

zac naloen

Not based on what I've seen in the reserves...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jun 2007 15:31

zac naloen

:lol: When did you see him play?

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 08 Jun 2007 15:32

Behindu
zac naloen

He was one of the best players on the pitch vs Bolton.

And you must remember Henry is still 17 (last I checked) most players don't start breaking into first teams until they are in their early 20's.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jun 2007 15:34

zac naloen
Behindu
zac naloen

He was one of the best players on the pitch vs Bolton.

And you must remember Henry is still 17 (last I checked) most players don't start breaking into first teams until they are in their early 20's.

We could be in League 1 by the time he breaks into the first team then. :roll: