New Season Fixtures 2007/2008

153 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 14 Jun 2007 15:26

Wigan lost their best player and their top scorer and faile dto adequately replace them. Even then, they started out looking as good as they had the previous year, but lost momentum about a third of the way through, partly because of injuries but mostly because they couldn't score. all this could happen to us. Maybe the loss of Sidwell will impact us like Wigan's loss of Bullard, but the fixture list will not make it happen. As for West ham, their sutuation was very different. There were obviously desperate dressing room problems that could not be handled by a man who is more of a surfer than a manager.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Jun 2007 15:29

Daniella
Vision
This time we are in a far more favourable position that we know the majority of our first team can cut it at Premiership level unlike last season when we had no idea.

This mentality saw west ham and wigan nearly go down. One successful season in the prem does not mean your players are established premiership class players. We have got to be careful and I hope coppell reminds the players of where they have come from and how they need to keep proving it. We will have learnt a lot from last season but I still think its going to be far tougher than people expect. I think sidwell's absence is going to hurt us a lot more than people think.

Not much i'd disagree with there but the major plus we have is that Coppell doesn't have the raging ego of Pardew and is a far shrewder cookie than Jewell. Also our success is based on the fact that the team is far more important than the individual elements in it. It's precisely for this reason we won't (and shouldn't) chuck money at the likes of Emile Heskey for example just to make it look superficially like we're being positive.

Either way, the fact we have Man Utd & Chelsea in the first 2 games makes no difference in my view.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 14 Jun 2007 15:32

Daniella at this stage we have no signings and we are weaker than last season, .

Yes we do...

'at this stage' is irrelevant.

I'll be worried if we've not signed a creative midfielder before we go to Korea though...

Other than that we know we don't need major surgery on the team.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 14 Jun 2007 15:39

Remember we'll have a fully fit Convey and Kitson hwo will be like two new signings for free.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 14 Jun 2007 15:41

ScottishRoyal Remember we'll have a fully fit Convey and Kitson hwo will be like two new signings for free.

Not to mention a fit Seol, Sonko not far off, Murts back, Little playing and John Halls available (OK, not to mention John Halls....)

Downside could be Marcus not there for Day 1 (or 2).

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 14 Jun 2007 15:41

2 midweeks all season? :x
Midweek games are the best games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Jun 2007 15:48

Readingfanman 2 midweeks all season? :x
Midweek games are the best games.

We only had 3 scheduled last season with the exception of games then moved to Monday nights.

You just don't get them in the PL. You get more in the FL because they have 8 more games to fit in, in the same time period.

OHFTP2006

by OHFTP2006 » 14 Jun 2007 17:11

How many royalty points will be needed for Man utd away? anyone know the formula for calculating in advance?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Jun 2007 17:13

OHFTP2006 How many royalty points will be needed for Man utd away? anyone know the formula for calculating in advance?

You'd probably need 1000 points.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 14 Jun 2007 17:15

OHFTP2006 How many royalty points will be needed for Man utd away? anyone know the formula for calculating in advance?

Number of tickets in allocation - number of ASTH = number for general sale

Depending in number for sale they will look at how many point sit would need to be in the top x and do first day sales accordingly.

So say there are 2500 for general sale and 5000 people have 850 points then 850 might be day 1 sales.

So basically you can't 'calculate' it but given Old Trafford is a venue most 'hard core' fans will have been to, and it's smack in mid holiday season I'd imagine tickets will be quite easily available.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 14 Jun 2007 21:02

is anyone doing a fixture list wallpaper again like last year

if they can thanks very much

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 14 Jun 2007 22:04

Behindu
ScottishRoyal Remember we'll have a fully fit Convey and Kitson hwo will be like two new signings for free.

Not to mention a fit Seol, Sonko not far off, Murts back, Little playing and John Halls available (OK, not to mention John Halls....)

Downside could be Marcus not there for Day 1 (or 2).

Federici had a stormer at OT in the FA Cup, won player of the round, I bet he can't wait to go back.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 15 Jun 2007 04:25

My glass is half full when i look at the opening month.

Man U - Opening day, may be best time to catch them.

Chelsea - Wasn't convinced either time we played them last season. Sure Jose will have one eye on the following game against Liverpool.

Everton - If Johnson doesn't dive and we turn up then we're capable of at least a point.

Bolton - Won up there in April. We'll have to see if Sammy Lee has got them organised by then.

If we play the same way way we did last season, we'll have nothing to worry about.

Also nice to see we haven't got long journeys in December or January when people save their pennies for Christmas.

Pleased with Liverpool away on my birthday also.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 Jun 2007 09:08

Compo's Hat My glass is half full when i look at the opening month.

Chelsea - Wasn't convinced either time we played them last season. Sure Jose will have one eye on the following game against Liverpool.

Everton - If Johnson doesn't dive and we turn up then we're capable of at least a point.

Bolton - Won up there in April. We'll have to see if Sammy Lee has got them organised by then.

If we play the same way way we did last season, we'll have nothing to worry about.

Also nice to see we haven't got long journeys in December or January when people save their pennies for Christmas.

I'm wondering after how many games will they be saying "and Reading are finding it tougher this season".

Given of the corresponding games last season, we'd have posted 3 losses and then a win against Bolton, any points in the first three games would be an improvement on last season, surely?

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 15 Jun 2007 09:21

Compo's Hat My glass is half full when i look at the opening month.

Are you seeing our away performance against Bolton through rose tinted specs! The performance was if I remember absolutely shocking but the result was in the top 3 of last season.

IMO if we play the same as last season we will be toast and there will be no comeback in the last 10 mins.

ps I feel good.........

by 1960 » 15 Jun 2007 12:41

So let's see. FA/Prem think Reading are little upstarts who should know their place. How can we arrange this. I know:

Give them the two best teams in England first, so they will get no points and will start to worry.

Give them two tricky games next and, with their self-confidence shot, they might get no points and they will be struggling for the rest of the season.

Oh yes, don't forget them starting and finishing away.

And, assuming our plans have worked and they are struggling at the end of the season let's give them three away games out of the last four.

Sorted!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jun 2007 12:44

1960 So let's see. FA/Prem think Reading are little upstarts who should know their place. How can we arrange this. I know:

Give them the two best teams in England first, so they will get no points and will start to worry.

Give them two tricky games next and, with their self-confidence shot, they might get no points and they will be struggling for the rest of the season.

And, assuming our plans have worked and they are struggling at the end of the season let's give them three away games out of the last four.

Sorted!

Except it's absolute bollox! If you knew the process by which fixtures were decided you'd understand that.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 15 Jun 2007 13:01

Dirk Gently
1960 So let's see. FA/Prem think Reading are little upstarts who should know their place. How can we arrange this. I know:

Sorted!

Except it's absolute bollox! If you knew the process by which fixtures were decided you'd understand that.

Is that fixture process available to all and sundry, DG? Can you post a link on the FA website or similar? I think this myth, if it is one, should be dispelled ASAP to stop Reading fans making tits of themselves on 606.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jun 2007 13:05

Row Z Royal
Dirk Gently

Sorted!

Is that fixture process available to all and sundry, DG? Can you post a link on the FA website or similar? I think this myth, if it is one, should be dispelled ASAP to stop Reading fans making tits of themselves on 606.

I'll see what I can find that's in the puiblic domain. If not I'll summarise what I know about it.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 15 Jun 2007 13:06

Dirk Gently
Row Z Royal
Dirk Gently

Sorted!

I'll see what I can find that's in the puiblic domain. If not I'll summarise what I know about it.

As always, DG, you rule.

153 posts