Shorey contract talks - Doesn't sound promising

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Jun 2007 17:14

working class hero He might want to win things and there are many clubs more likely to win things than RFC.

He's already won a Championship medal with us.....

Royal Soupanoodle
Location: at the bottom of the Ocean called life, looking for a pearl of wisdom!

by Royal Soupanoodle » 28 Jun 2007 18:20

Shorey has been interviewed on SSN - He says the same as reported in the papers, although he did come accross as " what will be will be"

Royal1983

by Royal1983 » 28 Jun 2007 18:59

At the end of the day the club were never hopeful over Sidwell otherwise Cops wouldn't of dropped him. We don't really need Sidders anyway got enough players who are good enough without him. Neither Shoery or Lita will be going anywhere and there is noway the club would let them go without a fight as they already have signed contracts these are IMPROVED contracts that they are talking about! If RFC really wanted Sidwell to stay then they would of done their upmost to keep him so something must of been going on there that we don't know about or he would still be here. I hope Chelski play him so he can see what it's like to leave the club as Pardew did!

working class hero

by working class hero » 28 Jun 2007 22:05

SpaceCruiser
working class hero He might want to win things and there are many clubs more likely to win things than RFC.

And if we were relegated he might win another. Whilst I could see us winning top silverware in the next 20 years he will not benefit. Frankly the Championship was great - but it is not really a top prize is it?

working class hero

by working class hero » 28 Jun 2007 22:08

Newcastle and West Ham aren;t going to win the league and probably aren;t much better cup bets than us.

Hmmmm. How many cup finals have we been in recently? They at least set out their stall as being 'cup teams' which sort of implies there is a greater culture of cup desire.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 28 Jun 2007 22:25

working class hero
Newcastle and West Ham aren;t going to win the league and probably aren;t much better cup bets than us.

Hmmmm. How many cup finals have we been in recently? They at least set out their stall as being 'cup teams' which sort of implies there is a greater culture of cup desire.

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns...

However given that these days it is only the top 4 who seem to have a chance of winning even the cups it's a bit irrelevant whether you call yourself a 'cup side'. The top 4 have by far the best chance of cup glory, everyone else shares a slim chance, and our share of that is bigger than it's been for 80 years !

working class hero

by working class hero » 29 Jun 2007 00:38

A 'cup side' is one that tries in all cup competitions. I believe that the past 2 seasons we could have had a real go for cup glory - instead of which we have gone out partly as a result of squad rotation.

The top 4 may well monopolise the wins... but if I were not good enough to play for one of them then playing for a club that might reach the final at least gets a medal....

Our chances are higher than they have been - or would be if we did not rest key players.... Anyone else think that if we had played our first team agin MU we might have won????

And the season before Brum were surely there for the taking.....

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 29 Jun 2007 09:23

We'll get into the inevitable circular arguement I fear !

We did better in the cups then we have done generally, at the same time as having our 2 best ever league seasons.

Who knows what the effect of picking different players for particular games would have been. Would Marcus have pulled off the saves at OT that Fed did ? Would he have been more solid in the first 5 mins if the replay ? Speculation and a debate that has polarised opinion already.

I think it's highly unlikely that a player would move clubs on the basis that a club may have a very slightly higher chance of losing in a cup final than another. They'll either move for money, vanity or personal reasons ( the desire to play for a specific manager, or with a specific player).

I actually think we have a decent chance of a cup final in the near future. Our misrepresented 'reserve' side were unlucky not to make the last 8 this year and it only takes a couple of bits of luck(which we haven;t generally had in the cups for years) and we'll be there. The squad is good enough.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Jun 2007 10:06

working class hero
SpaceCruiser

And if we were relegated he might win another. Whilst I could see us winning top silverware in the next 20 years he will not benefit. Frankly the Championship was great - but it is not really a top prize is it?

It's better than nothing. :roll:

A fair few players go through their careers without winning a single medal. :roll:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Jun 2007 10:14

working class hero

In the last 20 years, Newcastle have appeared in 2 FA Cup Finals (losing both), West Ham 1 (losing it), and neither have appeared in a League Cup Final in that period.

Hardly the pedigree of "Cup Teams" is it?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 29 Jun 2007 10:24

working class hero

Oustide the "BIG" 4 the team to have won the most domestic trophies "recently" is Leicester City. Kinda suggests we have as much chance of winning a trophy as anyone else.

Premiership Winners

2006-07 Manchester United
2005-06 Chelsea
2004-05 Chelsea
2003-04 Arsenal
2002-03 Manchester United
2001-02 Arsenal
2000-01 Manchester United
1999-00 Manchester United
1998-99 Manchester United
1997-98 Arsenal
1996-97 Manchester United
1995-96 Manchester United

FA Cup Winners

1995 Everton
1996 Manchester United
1997 Chelsea
1998 Arsenal
1999 Manchester United
2000 Chelsea
2001 Liverpool
2002 Arsenal
2003 Arsenal
2004 Manchester United
2005 Arsenal
2006 Liverpool
2007 Chelsea

League Cup Winners

Carling Cup
2006/07 Chelsea
2005/06 Manchester Utd
2004/05 Chelsea
2003/04 Middlesbrough

The Worthington Cup
2002/03 Liverpool
2001/02 Blackburn
2000/01 Liverpool
1999/00 Leicester
1998/99 Tottenham

The Coca-Cola Cup
1997/98 Chelsea
1996/97 Leicester
1995/96 Aston Villa

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 29 Jun 2007 10:33

Nice knowing you Nicky and I hope you enjoy returning to the mad in West Ham colours.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jun 2007 10:36

Not really - only 3 trophies have been won by clubs outside the big 4 in the last 7 years.

So perhaps once we might have had a chance, but it's becoming harder every day, and only the luck of the draw would probably help us - like the freaky draws in the FA Cup a few years ago that let Millwall get to the final.

Harold

by Harold » 29 Jun 2007 12:29

From the interview on SSN yesterday, I think you can sefely say Shorey is on his way.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Jun 2007 12:52

Yes, Harold, in the same way that you can safelysay that Lampard, Makele, Drogba and Schevchenko are on their way out of Chelsea or Ronaldo is on his way out of Man U, or (a year or so ago) Gerrard was on his way out of Liverpool, or Henry is on his way out of Arsenal ......... Oh, hang on a minute!

Media rumours are just that, rumours. Occasionally one comes true of course (like fat Frank), but generally they don't.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 Jun 2007 13:04

Harold From the interview on SSN yesterday, I think you can sefely say Shorey is on his way.

You must have a SPECIAL version of sky being that the one that I have had Nicky Shorey saying that he was not going to say what is happenign as he wants to have his contract sorted out followed by Coppell saying that we wont be selling anyone else as there are no more players in the same situation as $teve $idwell

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1079012235?cpid=8&channel=&clid=108

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 29 Jun 2007 13:21

Royal1983 At the end of the day the club were never hopeful over Sidwell otherwise Cops wouldn't of dropped him. We don't really need Sidders anyway got enough players who are good enough without him. Neither Shoery or Lita will be going anywhere and there is noway the club would let them go without a fight as they already have signed contracts these are IMPROVED contracts that they are talking about! If RFC really wanted Sidwell to stay then they would of done their upmost to keep him so something must of been going on there that we don't know about or he would still be here. I hope Chelski play him so he can see what it's like to leave the club as Pardew did!

I wish I could be as confident as you that "we don't really need Sidders".
I think we will only know after a dozen or so games of the new season if this is the case-hopefully you are right.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 29 Jun 2007 13:23

Harold From the interview on SSN yesterday, I think you can sefely say Shorey is on his way.

What has this thread got to do with Harold?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 Jun 2007 13:33

RobRoyal

What has this thread got to do with Harold?

I think he is

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 29 Jun 2007 14:07

Sidwell is a top quality player. It won't take Mourinho long to realise that he is a better player than Fat Frank and will get picked before him. Lying, cheating arrogant git that he is, Mourinho is still a very good manager.

I don't think that anything we could have offered Sidwell would have been enough to keep him. With Shorey, though, things should be different. While I applaud the club's stance on wages ceilings and the like, we must soon wake up to the fact that we are now in a different league (so to speak) and if we want to succed, or even just stand still, we must match the sort of wages that other clubs in our position are paying in order to both keep our best players, or to attract players of a similar or better quality. With the extra TV revenue coming into the game, each Prem club will use the money to attract decent players, if we don't we will be left behind. The policy of signing good hungry young talent from the lower leagues will only work for a short time. As far as keeping the team together and developing the team spirit we have, that is now being eroded what with Sidwell and possibly Hunt and Shorey going, we are getting into a position where we will have to develop a whole new team spirit.