The frustration and obsession of pre-season

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

The frustration and obsession of pre-season

by Only one Trevor Morley » 03 Jul 2007 17:03

The blackburn game ends and whilst we miss out on Europe by a point we end up feeling good. Optimistic. Proud about a good job, well done. Other fans no longer see us as following some quaint 'local team' ritual. We are major players now. Our confidence is sky high

and then the overwhleming obsession of pre season transfer targets takes over.

The general intertia in football news means, like a man spotting an oasis in a desert, we want to drink deep from the well of information and gossip. The problem is there isnt any - and if there is any its stagnant. Am I the only one who suffers this year on year........

An hour passes. Can I prevent myself from double checking Sky sports website? of course I cant. Whats the latest rumour on HNA? Why do I even bother to open the link on the football rumours sight? I know, like Santa, that they are made up - but still that part of you wants to believe.

The evening post website updates, hints from Hammond that a transfer may well be forthcoming although 'nothing major this week'. Your eyes raise to heavens. Nothing major this week....... when will things move on.. will we sign anyone, will we sign anyone. I know our team is good, i believe Coppell when he says there isnt an obvious position that we want to strenghten. But still I want the excitement of the new. Todays Kalifa Cisse may well end up being tomorrows John Halls. But still I naively expect that the greatest reading player ever will be our next new signing. And that signing must surely be forthcoming soon. but when.......

Fundamentally I know that Emerse Fae will probably never sign for Reading. But the remergence of that rumour is like a comfort blanket - somethign to get me through the dark days of pre season.

Bring on 1 September. Then I can stop worrying about sqauds about rumours, about frustration.

But for now its only two days until the reading Chronicle appears with more rumours. And then the NOW on Sunday will get me through next week.

If only I had patience. if only I didnt want something different. Why can't I be content with what we have.....

Does anyone else feel like this?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 03 Jul 2007 17:15

Yes

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jul 2007 17:21

Yes,
That pretty well sums up this close season and all others except that we know there are millions of pounds waiting to be spent.
My latest fear is that we could lose some of our better players if some of the big boys come knocking.
Agree with Trevor-roll on September when we might be bottom of the league but have no transfer worries for 4 months.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Jul 2007 17:25

I couldn't care less about the close season to be honest. I barely check the Team Board and care not a jot for transfer speculation.

Whatever will happen, will happen, and it's just a waste of time to wind yourself up about it. Chill out, play some football, read a book, steal a trellis, laugh at some terrorists. The summer is fill of distraction for the discerning gentleman.

See you all in August.

TVPRoyal

by TVPRoyal » 03 Jul 2007 17:27

OOTM you've got it right - exactly what I waste my time doing!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jul 2007 17:29

Maguire Whatever will happen, will happen, and it's just a waste of time to wind yourself up about it.

You're absolutely right. It's the manager's job to be concerned and do something about the situation - we can't do anything about it, so why bother being concerned about it?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 03 Jul 2007 17:32

SpaceCruiser
Maguire Whatever will happen, will happen, and it's just a waste of time to wind yourself up about it.

You're absolutely right. It's the manager's job to be concerned and do something about the situation - we can't do anything about it, so why bother being concerned about it?

Thats my point - I know that its the managers responsibility. I cant do anything about it. I just can't let the obsession go.......

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The frustration and obsession of pre-season

by brendywendy » 03 Jul 2007 17:34

Only one Trevor Morley The blackburn game ends and whilst we miss out on Europe by a point we end up feeling good. Optimistic. Proud about a good job, well done. Other fans no longer see us as following some quaint 'local team' ritual. We are major players now. Our confidence is sky high

and then the overwhleming obsession of pre season transfer targets takes over.

The general intertia in football news means, like a man spotting an oasis in a desert, we want to drink deep from the well of information and gossip. The problem is there isnt any - and if there is any its stagnant. Am I the only one who suffers this year on year........

An hour passes. Can I prevent myself from double checking Sky sports website? of course I cant. Whats the latest rumour on HNA? Why do I even bother to open the link on the football rumours sight? I know, like Santa, that they are made up - but still that part of you wants to believe.

The evening post website updates, hints from Hammond that a transfer may well be forthcoming although 'nothing major this week'. Your eyes raise to heavens. Nothing major this week....... when will things move on.. will we sign anyone, will we sign anyone. I know our team is good, i believe Coppell when he says there isnt an obvious position that we want to strenghten. But still I want the excitement of the new. Todays Kalifa Cisse may well end up being tomorrows John Halls. But still I naively expect that the greatest reading player ever will be our next new signing. And that signing must surely be forthcoming soon. but when.......

Fundamentally I know that Emerse Fae will probably never sign for Reading. But the remergence of that rumour is like a comfort blanket - somethign to get me through the dark days of pre season.

Bring on 1 September. Then I can stop worrying about sqauds about rumours, about frustration.

But for now its only two days until the reading Chronicle appears with more rumours. And then the NOW on Sunday will get me through next week.

If only I had patience. if only I didnt want something different. Why can't I be content with what we have.....

Does anyone else feel like this?

perfect post, sums up my pre/post season to a tee

and you were joking about santa, right? :wink:

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 03 Jul 2007 17:39

Excellent post, OOTM.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 03 Jul 2007 18:27

Late to this - been scanning UR&G, oh! you may have a point

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 03 Jul 2007 19:16

I remember being on holiday in Ibiza when exciting news filtered through to me that we had just signed Phil Parkinson from Bury for £37,500, great days !

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jul 2007 20:42

I remember being on holiday and heard that we had sold Simon Osborn to QPR for £1million-it ruined the holiday but you have to know don't you?
It's one of the prices of being a fan.

Fezza

by Fezza » 04 Jul 2007 09:11

Sitting at a computer at a hostel in Brisbane hoping for some sort of activity on the transfer scene!

I keep getting looks from the fiancee who obviously thinks that looking for a reception venue for next year is more important... that and wondering why we came over here so I could fail to see the sights due to my obsession!!!!

That said SC reckons we're the Mounties so I guess something is in the pipeline. I can't help but think it won't be Fae due to the ANC (not the bank in Australia!).

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1