Where will Reading finish in the Premiership 2007/8?

127 posts

Where will Reading finish in the Premiership 2007/8?

1st - 2nd
3%
3rd - 4th
0%
5th - 6th
2%
7th - 8th
3%
9th - 10th
8%
11th - 12th
16%
13th - 14th
24%
15th - 16th
27%
17th - 18th
13%
19th - 20th
5%

Total votes: 260
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Aug 2007 13:44

Royal Rother You fool, are you incapable of reading anything properly?

At last. 10.

I was just commenting on why there seems to be a lot of votes in for the lower reaches of the division.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Aug 2007 13:53

Took Spacky longer than I thought it would.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Aug 2007 14:05

If we finish below Fulham or Wigan we'll have had a disappointing season. If we are below any of the promoted teams then we'll deserve to go down.

Kind of funny watching Sunderland's friendlies in Ireland on Setanta, in particular the complete slating that Greg Halford has been getting. After watching him for a few games, Paul Parker commented that "if you had to ask me about his qualities, all I could say would be "long throw".

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Aug 2007 14:07

papereyes Took Spacky longer than I thought it would.

I was on a course yesterday, that's why. ;)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Aug 2007 14:16

10 what?

Hook Royal

by Hook Royal » 02 Aug 2007 14:18

SpaceCruiser I was on a course yesterday. ;)

Golf or penicillin?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Aug 2007 14:19

Hook Royal

Golf or penicillin?

H&S

Hook Royal

by Hook Royal » 02 Aug 2007 14:20

SpaceCruiser
Hook Royal

Golf or penicillin?

H&S

Sounds nasty.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Aug 2007 14:46

Schards#2 17th - 18th

We start with a weaker squad than last year and one that is carrying several long term injuries. In addition, several key members of the squad are past their peak and we are no longer a surprise package to the opposition.

Many other sides in th bottom half have strengthened significantly and, if we do get in trouble, we won't try and spend our way out of it.

It is impossible to know where to start with that post except to perhaps ask the question: "Have you seen Reading play at all over the last couple of years?"

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Aug 2007 15:01

sheshnu
Schards#2 17th - 18th

We start with a weaker squad than last year and one that is carrying several long term injuries. In addition, several key members of the squad are past their peak and we are no longer a surprise package to the opposition.

Many other sides in th bottom half have strengthened significantly and, if we do get in trouble, we won't try and spend our way out of it.

It is impossible to know where to start with that post except to perhaps ask the question: "Have you seen Reading play at all over the last couple of years?"

Yes, i've seen over 80% of the league fixtures in the past two years. What part don't you agree with and why?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Aug 2007 15:08

Schards, you always seem to be pessimistic! I can only think of one who is carrying a long term injury and that's Sonko. Which member of the squad are you referring to as past their peak? And as for "surprise package", that's just a cliche you're trotting out. Surely last year, most managers would have done their homework on us!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Aug 2007 15:14

SpaceCruiser Schards, you always seem to be pessimistic! I can only think of one who is carrying a long term injury and that's Sonko. Which member of the squad are you referring to as past their peak? And as for "surprise package", that's just a cliche you're trotting out. Surely last year, most managers would have done their homework on us!

Long Term Injuries - Sonko, Convey, Little

Past peak - Murty, Little, Ingemarsson, Hahnemann, Gunnarsson, all good players but will get slower and more injury prone from here on in.

Squad - Sidwell, Seol (seemingly) OUT, Cisse Duberry IN

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Aug 2007 15:16

Royal Rother 10 what?

insults

he's been counting

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Aug 2007 15:17

Schards#2 Long Term Injuries - Sonko, Convey, Little

Past peak - Murty, Little, Ingemarsson, Hahnemann, Gunnarsson, all good players but will get slower and more injury prone from here on in.

We didn't have Convey for large parts of last season either, nor Kitson who I would say is an important player for us. I would hardly call Murty and Ingi past their peak, and Hahnemann's a keeper so can go on forever (unless someone breaks his hands). Gunnarsson's been getting plenty of rest for the last couple of seasons..!

If you're counting Seol as OUT then you need to count any rumoured signings as IN, such as Rosenior and Fae. And Possibly one more winger.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Aug 2007 15:20

sheshnu

We didn't have Convey for large parts of last season either, nor Kitson who I would say is an important player for us. I would hardly call Murty and Ingi past their peak, and Hahnemann's a keeper so can go on forever (unless someone breaks his hands). Gunnarsson's been getting plenty of rest for the last couple of seasons..!

If you're counting Seol as OUT then you need to count any rumoured signings as IN, such as Rosenior and Fae. And Possibly one more winger.
So you'd agree that Convey is a LONG TERM injury then, just as he said. I doubt Murty and Ingi will play every game this season as, like it or not, they're getting older and any injuries will take longer to get over, as Murty has already proved in the past. Hahnemann has looked dodgy a few times last season, he may go on longer than outfield players, but not if his form is suffering.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 02 Aug 2007 15:21

Convey is on the way back though, he's apparently recently played 45 minutes this pre-season. Sonko will be back in October/November and we do have good cover in defence anyway.

Schards#2 Past peak - Murty, Little, Ingemarsson, Hahnemann, Gunnarsson, all good players but will get slower and more injury prone from here on in.

Ummm, sorry, did you miss the little fact that Ingimarsson won the player of the season last season? And whenever I've seen Little play during last season he has played well. He didn't have much pace to begin with, so I don't see him having a problem with it! They may be older, but experience is usually useful and probably can last another season or so before we need to replace them.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Aug 2007 15:23

As for the bottom half (where we didn't finish) strengthening their squads - well...

Wigan have in theory but I'm not impressed with their signings at all
Ditto Fulham
West Ham take two steps back, two steps forward (and no Tevez this year)
Man City are splashing the cash, it remains to be seen whether the signings bed in but they will probably do alright
Newcastle are probably slightly stronger (but sold their captain)
Middlesbrough :lol:
Villa maybe slightly stronger but have sold a load of squad players too
Blackburn I haven't paid much attention to but they're normally pretty strong
Portsmouth have signed loads of players like they do every year
Bolton will be much weaker without Fat Sam

The top 6 I don't mind finishing behind, which leaves the promoted clubs.

And Reading - well I don't think I'd swap with many teams outside the top 6.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Aug 2007 15:26

Royal Lady So you'd agree that Convey is a LONG TERM injury then, just as he said. I doubt Murty and Ingi will play every game this season as, like it or not, they're getting older and any injuries will take longer to get over, as Murty has already proved in the past. Hahnemann has looked dodgy a few times last season, he may go on longer than outfield players, but not if his form is suffering.

I didn't say he wasn't, did I? Just that we 'coped' without him last season. I'll worry about Murty and Ingimarsson being past it when that actually happens, I'm sure they'll be fine for one more season... And we have cover for them (Ingi especially).

And yes, I'd like a new keeper but I can't see Marcus doing much worse than last year and I think his back up is stronger this time around.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Aug 2007 15:27

his back up is stronger than what?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Aug 2007 15:30

sheshnu

Convey and Kitson were fit at the start of last season, hence the comment "we START with a weaker squad than last year"

Spacey - Convey hasn't played a competitive game for around 9 months. Assuming he is now fully recovered it'll be months before he's fully up to speed.

127 posts