What the pundits think about Reading this season

128 posts
Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

What the pundits think about Reading this season

by Compo's Hat » 04 Aug 2007 04:29

This can be a thread where the "experts" give their predictions and views on us for the new season starting with Eurosport.

Manager: Steve Coppell

Last 10 seasons in the Premiership - 2006/07 to 1997/98:

8/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

POSSIBLE STARTING XI

Marcus Hahnemann

Graham Murty-Ibrahima Sonko-Ivar Ingimarsson-Nicky Shorey

Seol Ki-Hyeon-James Harper-Emerse Fae-Stephen Hunt

Leroy Lita-Kevin Doyle

BACK-UPS FROM:

Adam Federici

Andre Bikey-Ivar Ingimarsson-Sam Sodje-Ulises de la Cruz

Bobby Convey-Khalifa Cisse-Brynjar Gunnarsson-John Oster

Dave Kitson-Shane Long

POSITIVES: Unlike many other teams this summer, Reading have not broken the bank on the transfer market, although they did pay a club record fee of £2.5 million for Emerse Fae from Nantes. The promising Khalifa Cisse has also been brought in to strengthen the midfield, but this year could belong to Leroy Lita, who is not far from becoming a quality striker.

NEGATIVES: The spectre of 'second season syndrome' is hanging over the Madejski Stadium and despite Coppell's insistence that his club will not spend big money on new players, he may soon have to concede or run the risk of getting left behind. And should Lita not build on his impressive performances in an England Under-21 shirt over the summer, Reading look rather lightweight up front.

VERDICT: The aim will be to consolidate their place as a top flight team, and there is nothing to suggest they are not capable of achieving that goal. A challenge for a European place is unrealistic however.

Royal Soupanoodle
Location: at the bottom of the Ocean called life, looking for a pearl of wisdom!

by Royal Soupanoodle » 04 Aug 2007 05:30

Source please? :wink:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Aug 2007 06:22

d should Lita not build on his impressive performances in an England Under-21 shirt over the summer, Reading look rather lightweight up front.

That quote is probably the most inaccurate description of Reading FC that I have read in the last 24hrs.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 04 Aug 2007 06:54

One of last season's criticisms of us and reasons why some pundits predicted we would go down was they thought we wouldn;t score enough goals.

If only we could have signed that Doyle lad from Cork !!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Aug 2007 08:09

I think many pundits will make similar mistakes as last season.

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 04 Aug 2007 08:41

It's the 'lightweight up front' that annoys me - it's probably our strongest position it's just not everyone appreciates the quality of our so called back up strikers. I'm more than happy with what we've got, I agree though and think it'll be a great year for Lita.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 04 Aug 2007 09:36

Matt Le Tissier's view on Sky Sports:

Reading were knocking on the European door last season, but have barely bought anyone in. Second-season syndrome is always a factor, but I don't think Royals fans should be too concerned.

Steve Coppell is a shrewd man who has built a tight-knit squad, where every player knows their job. They have to try and keep the excitement and anticipation they had in their debut season - and I am sure the supporters will - but if Coppell can do that, they should be fine again.

Reasonable comments although mention of second season syndrome now appears to be compulsory as far as we are concerned

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Aug 2007 09:46

I'm only concerned how Lawro tips us. If he says we'll finish top 10, we'll be relegated for sure! :wink:

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 04 Aug 2007 10:36

I think now is the right time for someone to post last seasons prediction from the News of the World in all its glory.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Aug 2007 11:05

readingbedding d should Lita not build on his impressive performances in an England Under-21 shirt over the summer, Reading look rather lightweight up front.

That quote is probably the most inaccurate description of Reading FC that I have read in the last 24hrs.

I have to agree - it just makes no sense whatsoever.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 04 Aug 2007 11:09

UpNorth Matt Le Tissier's view on Sky Sports:

Reading were knocking on the European door last season, but have barely bought anyone in. Second-season syndrome is always a factor, but I don't think Royals fans should be too concerned.

Steve Coppell is a shrewd man who has built a tight-knit squad, where every player knows their job. They have to try and keep the excitement and anticipation they had in their debut season - and I am sure the supporters will - but if Coppell can do that, they should be fine again.

Reasonable comments although mention of second season syndrome now appears to be compulsory as far as we are concerned

Last year Le Tissier showed that he knew a great deal about us, including squad players, and his predictions were often spot on, for example predicting a 3-1 home win vs Spurs after a run of very tough fixtures so i'd always be inclined to give his opinions a bit more respect than most other pundits.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 04 Aug 2007 11:09

papereyes
readingbedding d should Lita not build on his impressive performances in an England Under-21 shirt over the summer, Reading look rather lightweight up front.

Not to support the statement, but Kitson and Long are rather unproven in the Premiership. Kitson scored 2 in 13, and Long 2 in 22 (not sure how many are sub appearances - certainly most of Shane's but not so many of Dave's?). Doyle and Lita are looking good though.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 04 Aug 2007 11:13

football365 Manager: Steve Coppell (since October 2003). Odds on first out the job: 28-1

Last season: 8th, 55 points; FA Cup fifth round; Carling Cup third round

In: Emerson Fae (Nantes, ï½£2.5m); Kalifa Cisse (Boavista, ï½£1m)
Out: Greg Halford (Sunderland, ï½£3m); Steve Sidwell (Chelsea, free)

Steve Coppell did me proud. Like my colleague Adam Fraser I backed the Royals to stay up last season and I have little hesitation in suggesting they will repeat the feat.

Much has been made of the loss of Steve Sidwell, but his preference for becoming one of Roman's toy soldiers over being a footballer does him little credit and once his head was turned Reading were better off without him.

The key to their success perhaps lay in their years of failure. True, Sheffield United had similarly battled and battled and finally triumphed yet still got relegated. But when Coppell's team were promoted at last it was by a landslide margin and if you look at most people's predictions the Blades as well as the Royals exceeded expectations in terms of points.

Coppell knew his squad inside out and how to bring the best out of them. They have not been able to secure the summer signings they may have wished for and it is important that they stay largely injury free due to a lack of strength in depth.

Second-seasonitis comes in many forms. Some believe that referees let them off lightly last season - if so, will that change. Reading may find officials less forgiving this season, but you do not pick up the fewest bookings in the division by being a dirty team and there is no reason to expect discipline to slip.

Another reason to expect Reading to do well again is that they have keep all their goalscorers. Leroy Lita is getting better all the time. Kevin Doyle is only a year older than Lita and Dave Kitson is 27. Most key outfielders are younger than that.

Last term, Reading fans were in dreamland. If this season does work out as Coppell will be planning, then he could be laying the foundations for years of amazement.

John Madejski has done so much for the club that it is easy to forgive him naming the ground after himself (just as I would forgive Middlesbrough's chairman if that club's ground was called the Gibsondrome). The man whose fortune was based on Auto Trader is now planning to expand the ground to 38,000. He may still be open to new investors, but he will be offering them a club with a large and largely uncontested catchment area and in the south-east of the country.

If there is one blot on the landscape for Coppell it is the opening fixtures. First a visit to the club where he made his name as a player, Manchester United. Then the visit of Chelsea. No doubt the local hospital will be on standby for that visit. Their lawyers too, perhaps, in case they need to issue writs for slander.

After that come Everton and a trip to Bolton - so four games out of four in August against teams that qualified for Europe. West Ham at the Madejski on 1 September hardly provide a respite, given the money they have spent.

None the less, I expect Coppell to take enough from these matches to suggest that Reading, eighth in their first ever season in the top flight, will be there or thereabouts next May.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 04 Aug 2007 11:16

chilipepper91
papereyes

Not to support the statement, but Kitson and Long are rather unproven in the Premiership. Kitson scored 2 in 13, and Long 2 in 22 (not sure how many are sub appearances - certainly most of Shane's but not so many of Dave's?). Doyle and Lita are looking good though.

9(12) for Long.
9(4) for Kitson

They both got goals in the cups against Premiership sides which makes me think there's more to come from both.

But there's just something about the sentence - that if Lita doesn't improve, then we've not got much. It appears to ignore what Lita did last season and Doyle.

poohs pure

Re: What the pundits think about Reading this season

by poohs pure » 04 Aug 2007 11:42

Compo's Hat This can be a thread where the "experts" give their predictions and views on us for the new season starting with Eurosport.

Manager: Steve Coppell

Last 10 seasons in the Premiership - 2006/07 to 1997/98:

8/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

POSSIBLE STARTING XI

Marcus Hahnemann

Graham Murty-Ibrahima Sonko-Ivar Ingimarsson-Nicky Shorey

Seol Ki-Hyeon-James Harper-Emerse Fae-Stephen Hunt

Leroy Lita-Kevin Doyle

BACK-UPS FROM:

Adam Federici

Andre Bikey-Ivar Ingimarsson-Sam Sodje-Ulises de la Cruz

Bobby Convey-Khalifa Cisse-Brynjar Gunnarsson-John Oster

Dave Kitson-Shane Long

POSITIVES: Unlike many other teams this summer, Reading have not broken the bank on the transfer market, although they did pay a club record fee of £2.5 million for Emerse Fae from Nantes. The promising Khalifa Cisse has also been brought in to strengthen the midfield, but this year could belong to Leroy Lita, who is not far from becoming a quality striker.

NEGATIVES: The spectre of 'second season syndrome' is hanging over the Madejski Stadium and despite Coppell's insistence that his club will not spend big money on new players, he may soon have to concede or run the risk of getting left behind. And should Lita not build on his impressive performances in an England Under-21 shirt over the summer, Reading look rather lightweight up front.

VERDICT: The aim will be to consolidate their place as a top flight team, and there is nothing to suggest they are not capable of achieving that goal. A challenge for a European place is unrealistic however.

kamara has us for the drop in 'Loaded', surprising as he was one of our biggest fans last year?? Mind you he did also say sunderland would be in the frame for the drop and roy keane would do well as a premiership manager!?

tosser :-)

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 04 Aug 2007 11:57

papereyes
football365 Manager: Steve Coppell (since October 2003). Odds on first out the job: 28-1

Last season: 8th, 55 points; FA Cup fifth round; Carling Cup third round

In: Emerson Fae (Nantes, ï½£2.5m); Kalifa Cisse (Boavista, ï½£1m)
Out: Greg Halford (Sunderland, ï½£3m); Steve Sidwell (Chelsea, free)

Steve Coppell did me proud. Like my colleague Adam Fraser I backed the Royals to stay up last season and I have little hesitation in suggesting they will repeat the feat.

Much has been made of the loss of Steve Sidwell, but his preference for becoming one of Roman's toy soldiers over being a footballer does him little credit and once his head was turned Reading were better off without him.

The key to their success perhaps lay in their years of failure. True, Sheffield United had similarly battled and battled and finally triumphed yet still got relegated. But when Coppell's team were promoted at last it was by a landslide margin and if you look at most people's predictions the Blades as well as the Royals exceeded expectations in terms of points.

Coppell knew his squad inside out and how to bring the best out of them. They have not been able to secure the summer signings they may have wished for and it is important that they stay largely injury free due to a lack of strength in depth.

Second-seasonitis comes in many forms. Some believe that referees let them off lightly last season - if so, will that change. Reading may find officials less forgiving this season, but you do not pick up the fewest bookings in the division by being a dirty team and there is no reason to expect discipline to slip.

Another reason to expect Reading to do well again is that they have keep all their goalscorers. Leroy Lita is getting better all the time. Kevin Doyle is only a year older than Lita and Dave Kitson is 27. Most key outfielders are younger than that.

Last term, Reading fans were in dreamland. If this season does work out as Coppell will be planning, then he could be laying the foundations for years of amazement.

John Madejski has done so much for the club that it is easy to forgive him naming the ground after himself (just as I would forgive Middlesbrough's chairman if that club's ground was called the Gibsondrome). The man whose fortune was based on Auto Trader is now planning to expand the ground to 38,000. He may still be open to new investors, but he will be offering them a club with a large and largely uncontested catchment area and in the south-east of the country.

If there is one blot on the landscape for Coppell it is the opening fixtures. First a visit to the club where he made his name as a player, Manchester United. Then the visit of Chelsea. No doubt the local hospital will be on standby for that visit. Their lawyers too, perhaps, in case they need to issue writs for slander.

After that come Everton and a trip to Bolton - so four games out of four in August against teams that qualified for Europe. West Ham at the Madejski on 1 September hardly provide a respite, given the money they have spent.

None the less, I expect Coppell to take enough from these matches to suggest that Reading, eighth in their first ever season in the top flight, will be there or thereabouts next May.

The part about refs is puzzling me - like when?????

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 04 Aug 2007 12:07

UpNorth Matt Le Tissier's view on Sky Sports:

Wasn't Le Tiss one the very "experts" last season to suggest we would do OK?

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 04 Aug 2007 12:28

The person who wrote that piece about reading by eurosport cleary does not have a clue about us as he has left little out of the back up team. also he has ingamarson in both teams and sodje is in instead of dubs and bikey.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Aug 2007 15:32

tom_t69 The person who wrote that piece about reading by eurosport cleary does not have a clue about us as he has left little out of the back up team. also he has ingamarson in both teams and sodje is in instead of dubs and bikey.

Yeah and De La Cruz is left back and Bikey a cover right back!

128 posts