Shorey not a one cap wonder

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 23 Aug 2007 13:01

southbank1871 From what I saw (which as I said was only the second half), Shorey did OK and made a few decent breaks forward. He did, however, also needlessly give the ball away on a number of occassions, but he was not the only one guilty of that in the England team.

I'd say nothing has changed, he is still third choice if Cole and Bridge are fit.

See today's Times "How they rated"
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 311095.ece

Nicky Shorey 6
Performance Looked reasonable, although he was only up against David Odonkor – a late call-up to the squad and hardly a world-class winger. Confusion with Robinson led to the botched clearance that caused Germany’s equaliser.
Prospects Can be a solid back-up to Ashley Cole and could edge ahead of the injured Wayne Bridge in McClaren’s view.

Overall Team rated 5.9 so that makes him above average.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2007 13:04

The Sun had him as a 5 claiming he didn't do enough to take his chance.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 23 Aug 2007 13:08

On the BBC website where people cast their votes Nicky is currently showing a score of 5.83. This is better than Terry, Beckham, Owen, Ferdinand, Carrick and others. Much more reliable in my opinion!

Reading West

by Reading West » 23 Aug 2007 13:46

I might get slammed for this even though I don't agree with the Suns rating for Shorey (more of a 6 than a 5) but I do agree with the comments . J Cole is a glory hunter and doesn't like to pass to NS. But at times I think Nicky should have took more of a gamble and made some darting runs even if it meant putting Cole's nose out of joint. Unfortunately He was mostly looking to get rid of the ball as if he was just there to pass to the "celebrity" names he is going to take more risks in that area, or he will always be 3rd choice and when commented on his performances the same will be said "He had a good steady game, no risks and not too many mistakes, but nothing else"

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 23 Aug 2007 14:20

The Surgeon of Crowthorne
Archies Volley
Only one Trevor Morley
Archies Volley
Norfolk Royal Can we just clear this up.

A bloke in my office is insisting that for Germany's first goal, it was Shorey who hacked it out to Germany's right wing and then the bloke slung the cross back in.

But the way I saw it, it was Robinson who hacked it out.

Who is right?

you are

def robinson

should have left it to shorey (and held the shot in the first place!)

i thought it was definitely shorey who cleared it.

oh dear - maybe i had more to drink than i thought!

i still say robinson but maybe some one needs to find the you tube link so we can all watch again!
Watch the replay if you can. Robinson kicks it almost from underneath Nicky while lying on the ground. Shorey then does stand too far from the player who crosses it.

LOLawrenson and Motson credited NS with the poor clearance so we might have guessed it was Robinson.

But Andrew McKenzie has also jumped on the BBC's "we hate Reading and all their players" bandwagon.
Quote - "But when Nick Shorey's clearance fell at the feet of Schneider his cross caught out the Tottenham keeper, who could only push the ball into the path of a grateful Kuranyi."

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 23 Aug 2007 14:38

oldelmparky But Andrew McKenzie has also jumped on the BBC's "we hate Reading and all their players" bandwagon.

:?:

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 23 Aug 2007 14:39

Telegraph: Jeremy Wilson assesses the England players' performances.
Richards 8.
Nicky Shorey 7
Probably still third in the pecking order when Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge are fully fit, but already looks assured on the international stage.

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 23 Aug 2007 14:42

southbank1871
oldelmparky But Andrew McKenzie has also jumped on the BBC's "we hate Reading and all their players" bandwagon.

:?:

OK perhaps Hate is a bit strong. Maybe it's just contempt or disdain!

hybrid2005

by hybrid2005 » 23 Aug 2007 16:22

He unnerved the Germany defence whenever he got the ball and his partnership with stand-in left-back Nicky Shorey bodes well too.

Shorey was only playing because Ashley Cole picked up an injury in training but showed he is not only a stop-gap.

606: DEBATE
Give your reaction to England's performance

Doubtless Cole will return when he is fit but Shorey, who was dependable in defence and also delivered some wicked crosses, did enough to cement his place in the squad.

BBC

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 24 Aug 2007 12:58

Get the Chelsea out of England, Watching on Wednesday was frustrating without watching the Chelsea boys passing within each other.
Also all 3 of them made sure Shorey gave them the ball as soon as he had it, Then Shorey not getting the return ball.
It happened on many occasions, Shorey picks the ball up, passing to Cole, Expecting the return ball but it gets played to Lampard and then eventually back to Terry.

[Chelsea moan over]

[England moan starts]

Why did the ball keep going backwards? .. Every player did it, Even Richards who i thought was immense 1st half,But 2nd half did exactly what Terry did .. Straight back to James.
1st half he was getting forward at every opportunity . Great pace and skill, Did well to make Englands goal.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Aug 2007 13:39

Adz1871 Why did the ball keep going backwards?

General lack of movement and width from England and disciplined defending from the Germans.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 24 Aug 2007 13:49

I would just love to see NS bollock J.Cole on just one of the many occasions when a simple 5-6 yard ball outside could stretch the play. I think doing it once would help wake up Cole to the truth that perhaps the inside route is, most of the times, pointless and utterly wasteful, I believe in ethos that getting width allows the attacking team much more options in the attacking sense, over getting in behind or delivering a decent cross, which we know shorey has the ability to do.

I dont want it happening everytime as J.Cole is a fabulous, creative player, but the more times he passes outside, the more space he'll have on the inside later on.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 24 Aug 2007 14:25

Hoop Blah
Adz1871 Why did the ball keep going backwards?

General lack of movement and width from England and disciplined defending from the Germans, Croatians, Israelis, Estonians, Andorrans........

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 24 Aug 2007 17:09

Tails I believe in ethos that getting width allows the attacking team much more options in the attacking sense, over getting in behind or delivering a decent cross, which we know shorey has the ability to do.

come on guys, let's face it, england are no reading fc

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 24 Aug 2007 17:19

Adz1871 Why did the ball keep going backwards? .. Every player did it, Even Richards who i thought was immense 1st half,But 2nd half did exactly what Terry did .. Straight back to James.
1st half he was getting forward at every opportunity . Great pace and skill, Did well to make Englands goal.

Probably because MacLOLaren had a chat with him at half time to cut out the fancy stuff as it was making Beckham look shite.

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 25 Aug 2007 09:04

Barry the bird boggler
Adz1871 Why did the ball keep going backwards? .. Every player did it, Even Richards who i thought was immense 1st half,But 2nd half did exactly what Terry did .. Straight back to James.

Probably because MacLOLaren had a chat with him at half time to cut out the fancy stuff as it was making Beckham look shite.

He Plays In Defence
He Plays On The Right
That Young Boy Richards
Made Beckham Look Shite :oops:

Couldnt Resist ... Get My Coat Yeh?