Yellow and Red cards

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

Yellow and Red cards

by Row V » 29 Aug 2007 05:35

After last years excellent record we seem to be setting a rather worrying trend of having players sent off. Is it just stupid refereeing or are we playing harder than last year?
At this rate with suspensions and injuries we might just end up playing our 'reserve' team in the league instead of the cup competitions!

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 29 Aug 2007 07:51

The only player facing suspension will serve his one match for another club !!

The reds so far look to me like a slight lack of discipline. Not having seen Sodje's, the radio said both were harsh and certainly one of Cisse's was but the players just need to avoid getting in the situations.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Aug 2007 08:17

Berks FM appeared to be in two minds. Whilst initially stating the cards were harsh they then went on to say that Sodje had been repeatedly fouling players, particularly when jumping for the ball and had eventually put the ref in a very difficult position. To me that sounded as though when they took their RFC glasses off they were accepting that the ref had probably made the right decision.

Why oh why didn't Coppell ask the ref to give him a signal when it was getting close to the point when he was going to have to send the silly Sodje off! :wink:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 29 Aug 2007 09:13

BBCRB mentioned he was using his arms to gain leverage when he jumped. Not sure I have EVER seen a player booked for that !! If he did get a yellow for it he was pretty unlucky....

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 29 Aug 2007 10:14

RoyalBlue Why oh why didn't Coppell ask the ref to give him a signal when it was getting close to the point when he was going to have to send the silly Sodje off! :wink:

*cough* PoLoLoL + PaROFLdew = In love *cough*

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Aug 2007 11:45

The take from Swansea from what I've seen was that they felt it was extremely harsh.

Of the three sending's off; Kitson's was unjust given similar incidents in that game and others subsequently, Cisse's was due to the usual 'latin' over-reacting from a fellow 'professional' and Sodje's was just poor refereeing.

So, overall, its not the way we play its the interpretation being made by the gentlemen with the whistles.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 29 Aug 2007 12:32

We need to wise up then and not fall foul of the 'interpretation'

I would say all 3 were perhaps avoidable with a little common sense, none were fouls in crucial areas of the pitch and I think it's a bit of a cop out to put it down to refs....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Aug 2007 13:01

Behindu BBCRB mentioned he was using his arms to gain leverage when he jumped. Not sure I have EVER seen a player booked for that !! If he did get a yellow for it he was pretty unlucky....

I think they mentioned him pushing down on opponents as he jumped. Now if he is persistently pushing opponents down or even over through illegal use of his arms as he jumps then he is likely to pick up a booking for persistent fouling and, from the radio reports, I believe one of his cards was for persistent fouling.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1