Shorey...

255 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Oct 2007 16:14

Behindu Rosenior is currently playing right midfield for us, and has done before.

At Fulham I believe he played nearly all, if not all, of his matches at right back (or occasionally wing back). At Bristol City he made only a handful of starts plus some sub appearances where he did start his career as a midfielder.

I would say that around 5% of his matches have been played as a midfielder and it shows.

Personally I would rather see Lescott at left back on Wednesday.

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 15 Oct 2007 16:15

Behindu
Oi Oi Saveloy
Behindu
Oi Oi Saveloy He't saying that as it suits his argument.

Odd that, I guess you are advocting shredding our midfield because it suits your arguement !!

If Phil Neville plays, it's wouldn't exactly shred our midfield. I was only stating the option that may be preferable to MaClaren.

What's happened to Barry all of a sudden ?

That is another option, and I would prefer Neville played at leftback and leave Barry in Central Midfied and Lampard on the bench, however MaClaren mught prefer to put Barry at left back to bring Lampard back in a 4-3-3 formation.

Don;t get me worng, I would love to see Shorey play well for England, but IMO he hasn;t done that well for England and the temptation to include Lampard may be too much.

The simple fact is we will be facing a stiffer test defensively again Russia, and MaClaren may go for more experience.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 15 Oct 2007 16:19

Oi Oi Saveloy The simple fact is we will be facing a stiffer test defensively again Russia, and MaClaren may go for more experience.

I think that neatly draws us round to the original point that it is rather disappointing that we don;t have a great replacement ready to play at left back that
- is playing there regularly at the moment
- is on form
- is not needed elsewhere in the team

whoever McLaren picks will be a flawed selection, and will almost inevitably score the winning goal !

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 15 Oct 2007 16:24

Behindu
Oi Oi Saveloy The simple fact is we will be facing a stiffer test defensively again Russia, and MaClaren may go for more experience.

I think that neatly draws us round to the original point that it is rather disappointing that we don;t have a great replacement ready to play at left back that
- is playing there regularly at the moment
- is on form
- is not needed elsewhere in the team

whoever McLaren picks will be a flawed selection, and will almost inevitably score the winning goal !

Whoever MClaren picks will be the best team from the players he has available, and the chances are that will not include Nicky Shorey.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 15 Oct 2007 16:27

Oi Oi Saveloy Whoever MClaren picks will be the best team from the players he has available, .

Not been the case with all his teams though has it !!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 15 Oct 2007 17:06

The best thing about this England side in the last few games has been the Gerrard/ Barry central pairing and I would be incensed if that was broken up to either, play Barry at left back and/or make way for Fat Frank.

Neville or Shorey but not Barry (and no Fat Frank in midfield either :? )

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Oct 2007 17:39

If Lescott had done anything but be a bit crap against Estonia I would have assumed he'd be straight in given Shorey's current form.

He was very shakey though. I'd have assumed Neville was coming on to play left back, but he played right back against Estonia. It would seem to me that suggests he isn't favoured for playing left back at all.

That means the logical conclusion is that Shorey is next in line to play left back, but just wasn't available on the subs bench to come on for Cole.

The only possible hole I can see in that is that McClaren tried Lescott at left back the other day because he is left footed and Neville is more versatile, realised that he was poor and will now fall back on the tried and tested method of crow barring in Neville. Given Shorey's current form I can't say I'd disagree on anything other than the principle Phil should never have got 30 caps let alone 60

starbug

by starbug » 15 Oct 2007 17:48

Saturday was an ideal opportunity to give Shorey more experience especially with Cole on a yellow card. No idea if McClaren rates him so low as to not even put him on the bench or conversely rates him so highly that he wasn't bothered if Cole got booked/banned for Wednesday.

Surely Neville isn't an option as he would have kept him at LB on saturday. To play Lescott would be crazy after only just making his debut and it isn't his real position.

Shorey's lack of form wont be an issue, it took over a year for his superb form to be recognised, if they did notice his recent form he wouldn't even be in the squad!

The only sensible thing would be to play Shorey but I dont think McClaren has the balls.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 15 Oct 2007 17:55

Out of form Shorey > Phil Neville in the form of his life. End of.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Oct 2007 17:56

SWLR Out of form Shorey > Phil Neville in the form of his life. End of.

Even I have to call the RTG's on that one and I hate Phil Neville.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Oct 2007 18:02

Ian Royal

I'll never forgive him for that last minute tackle against Rumania. Never.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Oct 2007 20:44

Gordons Cumming
Ian Royal

I'll never forgive him for that last minute tackle against Rumania. Never.

Me either. I can remember leaving the uni bar shouting about how shit he was in a drunken rage. That must have been my first year too. Bastard.

Cookie

by Cookie » 15 Oct 2007 21:01

Ian Royal If Lescott had done anything but be a bit crap against Estonia I would have assumed he'd be straight in given Shorey's current form.

He was very shakey though. I'd have assumed Neville was coming on to play left back, but he played right back against Estonia. It would seem to me that suggests he isn't favoured for playing left back at all.

That means the logical conclusion is that Shorey is next in line to play left back, but just wasn't available on the subs bench to come on for Cole.

The only possible hole I can see in that is that McClaren tried Lescott at left back the other day because he is left footed and Neville is more versatile, realised that he was poor and will now fall back on the tried and tested method of crow barring in Neville. Given Shorey's current form I can't say I'd disagree on anything other than the principle Phil should never have got 30 caps let alone 60

Maybe he's been watching his recent performances for the Royals. :(

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Oct 2007 22:24

Cookie
Ian Royal If Lescott had done anything but be a bit crap against Estonia I would have assumed he'd be straight in given Shorey's current form.

Maybe he's been watching his recent performances for the Royals. :(

If that were the case he wouldn't be in the squad.

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 16 Oct 2007 07:45

Shorey was playing left back with the 'first team' in training yesterday according to SSN and was the only change to Saturdays game. Therefore I'd say his chances are looking better than even.

Completely unsurprised he never made the bench on Sat as he can only cover one position, Lescot covers 3 (centrebacks & left back and Neville is Mr Versatile i.e. mediocre in many positions)

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 16 Oct 2007 08:15

BBC now saying Lescott will start rather than Shorey.

Bit of a kick in the teeth for the lad.

I see his price already tumbling.....

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Oct 2007 08:28

UpNorth BBC now saying Lescott will start rather than Shorey.

Bit of a kick in the teeth for the lad.

I see his price already tumbling.....

Lescott has performed better than Shorey this season, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he did get the nod ahead of him. Lescott also offers a threat from set pieces as shown by his 5 goals already this season. Shorey on the other hand seems to have lost the ability to take a decent free kick (not that he would get the chance anyway for England).

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Oct 2007 08:46

Cany buy the set piece thread as you cant have Terry, Ferdinand and Lescott going up for set pieces.

Shorey will be gutted and confidence knocked further.

But shows how far we have come when we debate a Reading FC player battling for position in the England squad.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Oct 2007 08:51

paultheroyal Cany buy the set piece thread as you cant have Terry, Ferdinand and Lescott going up for set pieces.

Yes you can. You only need two players to stay back and those would be two that offer the least threat.

For example for us James Harper quite often stays deep at set pieces and keeps Murty company.

It just depends on who the management see as offering the most threat. How many goals does Rio Ferdinand score from set pieces? (Lescott only needs 5 more this season to equal Ferdinand's career total)

255 posts