Today's back from the game over-reaction thread.

124 posts
Cookie

Re: Today's back from the game over-reaction thread.

by Cookie » 02 Dec 2007 15:19

Row Z Royal I'm disappointed with today's defeat. Dire first half from both teams and perhaps we were fortunate not to be behind.

I honestly thought that Kitson's goal would spur us on to another goal but we sat back immediately and rarely looked like threatening the Middlesborough goal.

I'm trying to draw positives from today's match, but Im struggling. I don't think there should wholesale changes because we don't have much better on the bench or in the squad.

My only plus, perhaps, is the stand-off between Marcus and Ibu. There was clearly a breakdown in communication but it's important to let off steam. We've been lacking passion and bite recently so it was a good sign.

You're right Row Z Royal, it is an overreaction thread.

Gaawd knows what we'd be saying if we were Derby County supporters?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 02 Dec 2007 15:31

Had it been like this last season people would not have minded, but after last season no one expected it to be as dire as this.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Dec 2007 15:37

Had it been last season, our first in the Prem against the "big boys" I think a lot of people would have been expecting it to be honest, but as 17 bus says, last season showed that we could compete - I just don't know what's happened to our team spirit and belief this season. Plus, I know I harp on about it, but we really really miss Little down the wing and until we get another player like him, we're stuffed imho.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Today's back from the game over-reaction thread.

by RoyalBlue » 02 Dec 2007 15:49

Cookie
Row Z Royal I'm disappointed with today's defeat. Dire first half from both teams and perhaps we were fortunate not to be behind.

I honestly thought that Kitson's goal would spur us on to another goal but we sat back immediately and rarely looked like threatening the Middlesborough goal.

I'm trying to draw positives from today's match, but Im struggling. I don't think there should wholesale changes because we don't have much better on the bench or in the squad.

My only plus, perhaps, is the stand-off between Marcus and Ibu. There was clearly a breakdown in communication but it's important to let off steam. We've been lacking passion and bite recently so it was a good sign.

You're right Row Z Royal, it is an overreaction thread.

Gaawd knows what we'd be saying if we were Derby County supporters?

Totally different scenario and typical of the RTGs to come out with that one.

Derby County fluked their way into the Premier League courtesy of the playoffs. They are now being found out big time.

We deserved to get into the PL on merit and then more than held our own last season. It is criminal that absurd transfer activity in the summer has led to us having justified worries about losing that place in the top flight.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 02 Dec 2007 16:02

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he says

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Dec 2007 16:12

Mrs Butler i feel the slating Big H is over rated... i think he made some cracking saves today and honestly doesnt deserve the ear bashing he is recieving...

I personally think something has happened between the squad to make us play like we are, and the tention between players... could Lita be linked?

If one player really could do that much damage to morale then the players we've got aren't worth a light anyway!

MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 02 Dec 2007 16:49

we cant afford to miss the chances that kitson missed, he should have had a hatrick.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 02 Dec 2007 17:13

Another CM had a bad day at the races as well. From the S Times account of the Chelsea v West Ham game: "..poor Steve Sidwell tried his damnednest not to seem like a Reading midfielder in Chelsea's blue - but didn't quite succeed".

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Dec 2007 17:20

Royal Lady I still don't believe that we will attract anyone of any note in January - who, worth their salt, will want to join a team that could quite easily be relegated...

Do you think players will be attracted to Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Fulham, Derby, Bolton and MBoro as opposed to us?

They are all (nearly) in a worse position than us in the table and have spent many more millions getting there.

I thought that was a pretty good question that deserved an answer....

And papereyes, I haven't seen any suggestions that yesterday was anything other then a rank performance.

There is a balance to be struck between sensible spending, ambition and good financial management to obtain long term security.

It looks like one of the books (not necessarily the most crucial one though) has not yet been balanced up properly to get decent performances on the pitch to keep the fans entertained and satisfied, but I would rather not prejudge the action that will be taken in January as many seem tempted to do on here.

I desperately want us to stay up but I would rather go down this time around with the squad we've got than spend £25m in January on the sort of crap that Wigan, Sunderland, Derby, Bolton and MBoro etc. already have in their ranks and still go down.

We look a pretty dodgy team at the moment for sure, but I'd still rather be in our shoes than the others, new managers or not.

I am not really suggesting that OUR players have more loyalty than other clubs', but when the going gets really really tough (as it looks like might well be the case for us after Christmas) I would rather have a bunch of proven fighters who have worn the hoops for a number of years than a bunch of one (or less than one) season wonders who have no real affinity for the clubs they are supposedly giving their all for.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Dec 2007 17:27

Royal Rother
Royal Lady I still don't believe that we will attract anyone of any note in January - who, worth their salt, will want to join a team that could quite easily be relegated...

Do you think players will be attracted to Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Fulham, Derby, Bolton and MBoro as opposed to us?

They are all (nearly) in a worse position than us in the table and have spent many more millions getting there.

I thought that was a pretty good question that deserved an answer....

The answer is YES - They will be attracted by huge wages, the like of which Reading will not pay. So other sides will strengthen and reading will not

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Dec 2007 17:37

And some of them will still go down and then be financially fcuked after their gamble fails.

Whatever happens we won't be in that situation, of that I am sure.

The investment / spending gamble that faces Coppell and Madejski in January is one that they are far more able to weigh up than most on here and they will do so with the best interests of the long term future of the club at heart.

I hope that is not in question even those with absolutely zero business acumen.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Dec 2007 18:07

Royal Rother And some of them will still go down and then be financially fcuked after their gamble fails.

Whatever happens we won't be in that situation, of that I am sure.

The investment / spending gamble that faces Coppell and Madejski in January is one that they are far more able to weigh up than most on here and they will do so with the best interests of the long term future of the club at heart.

Will they or will the fact that the Chairman wants out in some way influence what happens?

Once again we get treated to the doomsday scenario. Gamble and go down and you are financially done. Why exactly?

If the players are any good they are not going to want to stay if we go down. Therefore, draw up contracts that reflect that. Good money and PL football on an ongoing basis if we stay up. Championship wages + release clauses if we go down.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 02 Dec 2007 18:30

I think it is a f8cking miracle that we are where we are given that we have a weaker side than we got promoted with. No Sidwell and no Little neither of which have been adequately replaced. Remember the championship when we had two wingers for each side of the pitch. Remember when Gunnarsson came on as sub for 20 minutes or played the occasional game if there was an injury or suspension. We are almost mid table in the premier league with a team weaker than that which came out of the championship.

Our transfer policy has been poor whether that is Coppell, the chairman, the chief scout or the director of football or a combination of all of them. We have failed in almost two whole seasons to sign anyone who has made an impact on the first team.

As for the future I think we will be exceptionally fortunate to stay up this season but will have a chance as there are seven and not one or two sh8te teams currently.

It can only be a matter of days before our beloved chairman pulls the plug on the proposed ground extension due to the likelihood of relegation and at the same time tells us that without the extension there is no money for premier league players and therefore we will in all likelihood be relegated.

What to do in the the meanwhile - enjoy the sheer shiteness of our current central midfield combination - you poor souls who don't go to away games got a view at the Boro game of just what a stunning lack of ability that has been in evidence in just about every away game this season.

What gets more distressing is that the manager seems to run out of tactical nous with substitutions. Why no late sub at City to run the clock down - why yesterday disrupt the team shape and put Bikey on for Convey when it was Gunnarsson that was shagged out and should have gone off (which he subsequently did).

If we have no alternative to Go Fetch and Tooslowsson then the manager and his director of football should be seriously considering their positions at this football club. If we are going to play traditional 442 then at least get some players in who can play it competently. Rant over.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Dec 2007 18:57

The Quiet Man I think it is a f8cking miracle that we are where we are given that we have a weaker side than we got promoted with. No Sidwell and no Little neither of which have been adequately replaced. Remember the championship when we had two wingers for each side of the pitch. Remember when Gunnarsson came on as sub for 20 minutes or played the occasional game if there was an injury or suspension. We are almost mid table in the premier league with a team weaker than that which came out of the championship.

Our transfer policy has been poor whether that is Coppell, the chairman, the chief scout or the director of football or a combination of all of them. We have failed in almost two whole seasons to sign anyone who has made an impact on the first team.

As for the future I think we will be exceptionally fortunate to stay up this season but will have a chance as there are seven and not one or two sh8te teams currently.

It can only be a matter of days before our beloved chairman pulls the plug on the proposed ground extension due to the likelihood of relegation and at the same time tells us that without the extension there is no money for premier league players and therefore we will in all likelihood be relegated.

What to do in the the meanwhile - enjoy the sheer shiteness of our current central midfield combination - you poor souls who don't go to away games got a view at the Boro game of just what a stunning lack of ability that has been in evidence in just about every away game this season.

What gets more distressing is that the manager seems to run out of tactical nous with substitutions. Why no late sub at City to run the clock down - why yesterday disrupt the team shape and put Bikey on for Convey when it was Gunnarsson that was shagged out and should have gone off (which he subsequently did).

If we have no alternative to Go Fetch and Tooslowsson then the manager and his director of football should be seriously considering their positions at this football club. If we are going to play traditional 442 then at least get some players in who can play it competently. Rant over.

What you say about the clubs transfer policy since promotion is the truth. The starting 11 yesterday was weaker than for a lot of games two years ago with two of the most influential players at the club in Sidwell and Little not adequately replaced.
I have never thought Sidwell was that good but he was box to box and more importantly was cocky and abrasive. His presence in the side probably increased the self belief within the team which is patently missing at the moment.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 02 Dec 2007 19:05

Royal Rother And some of them will still go down and then be financially fcuked after their gamble fails.

Do you actually believe that? Fed up with hearing it to be honest. No-one is suggesting we 'do a Leeds', but signing a handful of players on £30-40k per week is not going to 'financially fcuk' us.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Dec 2007 19:12

cmonurz

Do you actually believe that? Fed up with hearing it to be honest. No-one is suggesting we 'do a Leeds', but signing a handful of players on £30-40k per week is not going to 'financially fcuk' us.

No its not and if the club are really serious about buying in quality players that can come straight into the side and make an immediate impact they will cost 40 grand a week whether we like it or not. The clubs transfer and wages policy faces an acid test next month.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Dec 2007 19:36

1st half truly awful from both sides, no bite to anything thought boro shaded it, neitherside deserved to be in front
crowd were terrible, flat as a pancake from before the whistle, cant blame the flat performance we couldnt even be arsed to cheer the start of the game
second half crowd and RFC raised their game a bit, got the goal, and had a bit of decent football to watch for twenty mins, then we just satback and invited it on us
sonko had a very poor game, marcus was right to give him a blast
and what was he doing for the goal?
thought ivar was ok today again, as did marcus-apart from his awful kicking(apart from the 1 good 1 that got us the goal)-can we change tactics please, now we have no effective wingers to punt it to out there
thought murts was ok too, shoreys passing has gone to pot but the rest of his game is ok
hunt was industrious again without delivering much quality, what was that fracas about 2nd half?
kitson was awesome again-cant believe i ever doubted his quality at this level-doyle ran himself into the ground but didnt get much chance to shine
as a member of the RTG brigade i really struggle to find anything better to say
coppell needs to shake things up, and his comments about the 1st team are a little worrying
most embarrassing thing of the day for me was the crowd though, i know there wasnt much to cheer on a damp saturday afternoon, but jeezus
and to have the gall to boo at the end, after such an insipid display of our own was frankly embarrassing
RFC ruined my weekend

3 points Vs liverpool next week would make it all go away, but that doesnt look wholly likely
bring on january, just so i can raise my hopes a little-only to have the dashed later on, but at least in january a ray of light may shine for a while

doom, gloom,
woe is me

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Dec 2007 20:27

brendywendy 1st half truly awful from both sides, no bite to anything thought boro shaded it, neitherside deserved to be in front
crowd were terrible, flat as a pancake from before the whistle, cant blame the flat performance we couldnt even be arsed to cheer the start of the game
second half crowd and RFC raised their game a bit, got the goal, and had a bit of decent football to watch for twenty mins, then we just satback and invited it on us
sonko had a very poor game, marcus was right to give him a blast
and what was he doing for the goal?
thought ivar was ok today again, as did marcus-apart from his awful kicking(apart from the 1 good 1 that got us the goal)-can we change tactics please, now we have no effective wingers to punt it to out there
thought murts was ok too, shoreys passing has gone to pot but the rest of his game is ok
hunt was industrious again without delivering much quality, what was that fracas about 2nd half?
kitson was awesome again-cant believe i ever doubted his quality at this level-doyle ran himself into the ground but didnt get much chance to shine
as a member of the RTG brigade i really struggle to find anything better to say
coppell needs to shake things up, and his comments about the 1st team are a little worrying
most embarrassing thing of the day for me was the crowd though, i know there wasnt much to cheer on a damp saturday afternoon, but jeezus
and to have the gall to boo at the end, after such an insipid display of our own was frankly embarrassing
RFC ruined my weekend

3 points Vs liverpool next week would make it all go away, but that doesnt look wholly likely
bring on january, just so i can raise my hopes a little-only to have the dashed later on, but at least in january a ray of light may shine for a while

doom, gloom,
woe is me

Crikey BW.........the team must really be in trouble if you are getting depressed as well!!
I didn't think the support was too bad yesterday. Way too quiet just before kick off but as the game progressed we all got a little noisier...the trouble is we as supporters dont have any witty songs..its pretty much always a few bursts of Come on You Royals, Blue Army etc and Super Reading FC blah blah......
I also cannot see much point in booing the players off as its not going to achieve much.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Dec 2007 20:42

i feel a little better now ive had dinner!

it wasnt so bad-and in a way im glad we didnt hold on for the win, as that would have only papered over thecracks

i really hope copps shakes it up for liverpool and we go at them
ill take a 5-0 defeat as long as we look dangerous for a bit

but if we manage a draw, or a plucky defeat, with a couple of decent players in jan i can see us surviving just, we have enough-just cant do with many more performances like saturdays

but even if that happens, the rebuilding job required with murts, marcus, ivar, brynn, little all looking to be past it next year
and doubts over the quality of hunt, convey, harper, long, lita and even shorey

we may need to purchase two whole new teams, and that is way beyond our financial abilities

foreign owner anyone?

would you take them if it meant copps would leave

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Dec 2007 21:03

No I wouldn't...but you know that I suspect.
A foreign owner also carries huge risks. What happens if they get bored and walk away with a stack of players on mega wages?
It is a real potential problem because our chairman is not going to be around forever and given the current trends a foreign buyer is a real possibility.
Irrespective of the above I hope Coppell stays around but I just wish he would show a little less loyalty to certain players.

124 posts