Coppell "I'm due a break"

183 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Dec 2007 13:21

Only one Trevor Morley I dont want Coppell to go - unlike others, I cant see us being any better under another manager - in fact we'd be far more likely to be relegated.

I'd have to agree with the sentiment there. I can't think of anybody now that I'd rather be the manager other than Steve Coppell. Coppell is the best we've ever had, he's surpassed the likes McGhee and Pardew, which is a good thing. I'd hope that he remains for another year at least, he won't be here forever though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Dec 2007 15:41

Stranded
West Stand Flash Like Coppell said about Lita & Shorey. If they wanna leave then f*ck off. The same applies for Coppell................F*CK OFF.

You have just shown in one statement exactly what Coppell means re fans in the article. Congratulations.

Read the context of the original article. There is nothing of any substance that is different to things he has said over the past few years.

At no point does he say he wants to leave now. He even talks about the next few years at Reading.

He always stated the ups and downs of management get him down at times, that is all the sentiment of the article is about in my mind.

To be fair I don't think Coppell has ever said he thinks he'll be wanting a break very shortly before has he?

It may well be a throw away remark which he doesn't really mean, although, like Mourinhio at Chelsea, I've never really expected Coppell to stay here too long and build a number of teams like a Wenger or Fergie have and so I think he does mean it.

Personally I think at a time when the club need to be showing they mean business this is an ill timed and counter productive statement from Coppell that he didn't need to, and shouldn't have made. It's unsettling and can have no real positive impact on the club in the next few weeks.

From my point of view thats bad management on his part.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 04 Dec 2007 16:22

coppell can go,
lita can go,
shorey can go

and we can release gunnarsson, hahnemann, murty, little, halls, de la cruz, oster

this club needs a major culling to remove all the negative vibes, at a time when we should be joyous and happy to be in the premier league, everyone is bitching and moaning and blaming, from fans to players to the manager...as was exemplified by on-field behaviour v boro

i am sorry to say it but there is a sickness eating away at the heart of Reading FC and you need look no further than this board to see proof of that, as with any sickness major surgery is required

i want a radical overhaul of the playing squad and if Coppell goes then he better either give us advance warning of it or quit now rather than leave us in the lurch when he is feeling particularly stressed after another defeat

The funny thing is I am not enjoying being a Reading fan at the moment and we are supposed to be in the best league in the world, the funny thing is I almost liked it more when we were scrapping for results in the lower leagues, there seemed to be a better atmosphere, unity of purpose and integrity about the club that just isn't there anymore, has last season corrupted us?, has the premier league corrupted us?
or is it a simple case of this team just gone stale??? :(

anR

by anR » 04 Dec 2007 16:48

Gus the teenage cow we can release little

:cry:

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 04 Dec 2007 16:58

sorry i just think he's too injury prone and old right now.....like an old dog that you used to love but whose time has come, sad but necessary :(

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2007 17:23

Hoop Blah
Stranded
West Stand Flash Like Coppell said about Lita & Shorey. If they wanna leave then f*ck off. The same applies for Coppell................F*CK OFF.

You have just shown in one statement exactly what Coppell means re fans in the article. Congratulations.

Read the context of the original article. There is nothing of any substance that is different to things he has said over the past few years.

At no point does he say he wants to leave now. He even talks about the next few years at Reading.

He always stated the ups and downs of management get him down at times, that is all the sentiment of the article is about in my mind.

To be fair I don't think Coppell has ever said he thinks he'll be wanting a break very shortly before has he?

It may well be a throw away remark which he doesn't really mean, although, like Mourinhio at Chelsea, I've never really expected Coppell to stay here too long and build a number of teams like a Wenger or Fergie have and so I think he does mean it.

Personally I think at a time when the club need to be showing they mean business this is an ill timed and counter productive statement from Coppell that he didn't need to, and shouldn't have made. It's unsettling and can have no real positive impact on the club in the next few weeks.

From my point of view thats bad management on his part.

Fair enough, but the point is it's a comment which if read within the context of the article itself rather than stuck out on it's own re the first post doesn't, for me, insight the disgust and anger of some (not necessarily yourself) on here.

I stand by the fact that some are looking for a stick to beat anybody associated with the club at the moment, esp Coppell for some reason when we are having our first truly poor spell in ages.

If this article had come out in December last year, it would have raised barely a eyebrow.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2007 17:29

Also with regards to people querying the impact of any statement on the long term planning for the club by any Coppell club - remember that this is one of the first times, if not the first that he has signed a two year deal at any club.

He has always only looked at one year in the future, if that, it's not effected our progression to this point under his management.

Cookie

by Cookie » 04 Dec 2007 19:08

The Sun was in wind-up mode today. That article was soo simplistic and designed to exaggerate what little Steve Coppell had said to another newspaper.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Dec 2007 20:45

Gus the teenage cow The funny thing is I am not enjoying being a Reading fan at the moment and we are supposed to be in the best league in the world, the funny thing is I almost liked it more when we were scrapping for results in the lower leagues, there seemed to be a better atmosphere, or is it a simple case of this team just gone stale??? :(
I think that you have answered your own question.

at least you were there

starbug

by starbug » 04 Dec 2007 20:55

You wont find me crying into my pint if Coppell leaves, we could do with someone who really pushes the club forward, as Mr Mad said "we've never said no to any player requests from Coppell". The club might have all the ambition but does Coppell ?

Who really believes we're going to spend big in January and drive forward ? (Hat on standby...)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Dec 2007 20:57

starbug You wont find me crying into my pint if Coppell leaves, we could do with someone who really pushes the club forward, as Mr Mad said "we've never said no to any player requests from Coppell". The club might have all the ambition but does Coppell ?

Who really believes we're going to spend big in January and drive forward ? (Hat on standby...)
yep

boom and bust...cannot wait

next :arrow:

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 04 Dec 2007 20:58

I do hope this was tongue in cheek. Why you would want one of the best RFC managers to "F*CK" off after reading a press report is beyond me.

It does make you sound pretty short sighted, or very young in which case you are forgiven.

Mr Sonko

by Mr Sonko » 04 Dec 2007 21:01

What nobody has picked up on yet is that the statement by SC is pretty much the same as Madejski himself has been saying for a year now. IF JM challenges SC over this (as you'd expect him to) SC will just say "well its what you are saying too..)
I'm worried.......

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Dec 2007 21:17

I'm a little tired of getting up at 4.30 am somedays

and not getting home until 22.30 some other days Mr Copp

If you really feel the need to take a sabbatical...then do so (you owe us nothing)

However, remember us (the ones) that do not have that choice..........and have paid into your retirement fund.

(just) Carry on the good work please

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 04 Dec 2007 22:47

Hahnemann's Hairdresser Some of the nonsence on this thread is unbelievable. Seriously, manager sites the pressures of football for wanting to take some time off, most probably not actually meaning now, and the majority of you tell him to pack his bags?! The guy is Readings most successful manager ever, I don't subscribe to all this Sir Steve, in Coppell we trust, stuff, however to say that we'd be better off without him really is bobbins.

For what it's worth I think that we are witnessing a transitional period for the club, similar to what Man Utd were going through for a few years before last season. There is some dead wood in the squad, unfortunatly most of the old guard who have served the club so well over the last few years fall into this category. January and next summer will see quite a few players shipped out i'm sure, however untill then we will have to put up with some below par performances. The players we have bought that currently are not getting a game are all under 23 (I think), in my eyes Coppell has seen that players like Gunnarsson and Hahnemann are good enough to keep us up so has bought for the future. Fae is a Harper replacement, Cisse a Gunnarsson and Rosenior a Murty replacement. Look out for a young right winger, Keeper and center back in January as the next players to be replaced will be Hahnemann, Little and Ingimarsson. If the above is all correct then this is a fairly solid foundation for long term progression.

The comparison with Manure says alot for SSC and RFC 2007, rather than past comparisons with Bury, Rochdale, Swansea et al.

Personally I think we are deluded if we think we can get someone better than SSC to see out the rest of the season.

I am not going to spit my dummy out and will continue to back SSC.

FFS we are still in the Prem and have every faith that SSC will keep us there.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Dec 2007 11:47

with fans like ours no wonder no one wants to stick around

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular

by Gus the teenage cow » 05 Dec 2007 11:51

brendywendy with fans like ours no wonder no one wants to stick around

harsh :cry:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Dec 2007 11:57

LOL, get over yourself.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Dec 2007 12:02

Well I think if it doesn't get that much brighter he may quit at the end of the season or at the end of his contract (July 2009). The Reading job is getting to be the most high profile job he has ever done in terms of press pressure and Coppell hates all that part of the job. Remember when he was in charge of Palace the game was very different to what it is now and he quit very soon after taking the city job. I think the whole Sidwell saga (and the possible departures of Shorey and Lita) have really been getting him down. He's a wonderful manager though and I think with a couple of signings we will easily stay up this year. Being in the premiership is not quite the lark that everyone was saying. Coppell is a realist though and he expected all of this - if you look at what he has been saying since the start of the season you can see that...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Dec 2007 12:09

Royalee

LOL, get over yourself.

get over your own good self

if i had walked off to the boos of my own fans after a very tough match in which we got a draw(and after two three years of unparalelled success) i would be looking for the first available bus out of reading.

copps says hes a bit tired-and its "well oxf*rd off then"
convey struggles back from injury and has one full game in his position and its "oxf*rd off then"
etc etc etc

183 posts