Hunt. Why?

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 09 Dec 2007 13:35

Ian Royal
Y21_Royal Don't Reading have the policy of, whoever calls it, takes it? He tried to take the last one IIRC.

Not the worlds greatest penalty but a darn sight better than our previous efforts!

Can someone tell me please, whats wrong with whacking penalties? You're much more likely to score if you whack it

you're also much more likely to miss the target if you whack it.

When was the last time you saw someone whack it over the bar? A good player should be able to keep it down ala Gareth Barry yesterday. So many weak penalties 'placed' in the corner get saved, a higher percentage anyway, just look at Alan Lee's for Ipswich yesterday or virtually any Reading penalty of the last two years. I don't recall Trevor Morley missing too many

muppet_

by muppet_ » 09 Dec 2007 13:42

I think Hunt wanted to take it cos he supports Liverpool so wanted to take the chance of scoring against them

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Dec 2007 13:44

Y21_Royal
Ian Royal
Y21_Royal Don't Reading have the policy of, whoever calls it, takes it? He tried to take the last one IIRC.

Not the worlds greatest penalty but a darn sight better than our previous efforts!

Can someone tell me please, whats wrong with whacking penalties? You're much more likely to score if you whack it

When was the last time you saw someone whack it over the bar? A good player should be able to keep it down ala Gareth Barry yesterday. So many weak penalties 'placed' in the corner get saved, a higher percentage anyway, just look at Alan Lee's for Ipswich yesterday or virtually any Reading penalty of the last two years. I don't recall Trevor Morley missing too many

Quality penalty takers will score regardless of placig or blasting. SOme have different styles thats all. Less good penalty takers will miss a fair bit when blasting. Missing the target is a hundred times worse than having it saved.

Missing the target is a pretty good guarantee of not being given the chance to take another one.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 09 Dec 2007 13:47

Ian Royal
Y21_Royal
Ian Royal

Quality penalty takers will score regardless of placig or blasting. SOme have different styles thats all. Less good penalty takers will miss a fair bit when blasting. Missing the target is a hundred times worse than having it saved.

Missing the target is a pretty good guarantee of not being given the chance to take another one.

Fair point but I think when taking penalties you should play the percentages and you're more likely to score if you whack it. That said, of course you are more likely to miss the target. Still, if it goes in then who am I to judge?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Dec 2007 13:50

It's all a bit academic as I can see Hunt taking ours until January.

Then whether he'll be on the pitch to take them is debatable.

Be interested to see what he's like through the middle if we can pick up a quality right winger. I think Convey is the best man for the left, but Hunt is making it very hard to drop him after that performance.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Dec 2007 13:52

I thought this thread was going to point out why he still insists on trying to fight with people on the pitch

Cookie

Re: Hunt. Why?

by Cookie » 09 Dec 2007 14:02

1960 Dodd me all you like, but I can't find it anywhere. Why did Hunt take the penalty? Nicely placed, although I think Reina might have got it if he had gone the right way, as it wasn't that hard. But where were Kitson and Doyle? Did they bottle it?

Stephen Hunt - Hunt - Hunt. :D :D :D :D :D

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2007 14:08

muppet_ I think Hunt wanted to take it cos he supports Liverpool so wanted to take the chance of scoring against them

That's exactly what I thought, to be honest.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 09 Dec 2007 14:08

Huntley & Palmer I thought this thread was going to point out why he still insists on trying to fight with people on the pitch

He thinks they look like his dad.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Dec 2007 14:12

papereyes
muppet_ I think Hunt wanted to take it cos he supports Liverpool so wanted to take the chance of scoring against them

If he supports Liverpool, why did he not deliberately miss it then?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2007 14:20

bobby1413
papereyes

If he supports Liverpool, why did he not deliberately miss it then?

erm ...

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 09 Dec 2007 14:48

If it is true that there is no official penalty taker, then I am horrified. In my opinion, the penalty taker should be known beforehand and should not change except for injury, at which point the designated deputy should take it. This should apply in all curcumstances, even if someone is on a hat trick or we are winning six nil.

The same should be true of penalty shoot outs: the order should be planned before the match, with people moving up only for injuries, substitutions, or whatever. The players should have regualr penalty competitions in training, so that everyone knows where they stand. This should be even more the case with the England team. Good on Hunty for scoring, though.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 09 Dec 2007 14:49

I had a bet on: Kits to score first in a 3-1 Royals win @440/1 Doh!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 09 Dec 2007 15:16

I heard last week that Liverpool have scored their last 14 penalties. We need someone with that sort of Le Tissier consistency from the spot, so I say Hunt takes them until he misses.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2007 15:18

Well done Hunty. Your style and antics don't always entirely please me but your effort and guts most certainly do. Smashing penalty, you showed some b*ll*cks and inspired us all yesterday.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 09 Dec 2007 15:21

the player who picks up the ball first wants it the most, Hunt was first to the ball, and finshed well, just because your the inform striker does not mean you take the pens, just look at man u, chelsea and liverpool

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 09 Dec 2007 15:30

slightly off-topic but watching the Man U penalty on MotD it was noticeable that there were several Man U players running into the area and almost level with Ronaldo when he took the kick, and I always thought stopping on the run up was 'ungentlemanly conduct' (so it should have been retaken on both counts).

With Hunt's kick neither criticism could be levelled at us.
I presume that's not naivity on our behalf.
(NB that's not a mis-spelling of nativity - that comes later this month :lol: )

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 09 Dec 2007 15:36

Y21_Royal
Ian Royal

I believe Anelka has just committed this cardinal sin in the Bolton match. For what it's worth, don't give a monkey who takes the penalty. Whoever has got the balls, and more importantly doesn't miss it... Hunt from now o please.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 09 Dec 2007 15:41

Fcukin get in Steve Hunt, brilliant penalty under extreme pressure and a decent performance.

by 1960 » 09 Dec 2007 15:46

As starter of this thread I would like to say I meant no disrespect to Hunt at all. He stepped up, was unfazed and scored neatly. My point was that Doyle or Kitson usually take them and I just wondered why one of them didn't take it. Now answered.