Sunderland Penalty

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 22 Dec 2007 20:08

peckhamwolf Given the fact that Reading's 1st goal shouldn't have been a free kick and there is an ongoing thread regarding the winner, an obvious penalty means that was the only clear-cut goal of the game.

You still losing to Leicester?

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 22 Dec 2007 20:10

1 each mate. Keep up.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 22 Dec 2007 20:11

peckhamwolf 1 each mate. Keep up.

:lol: Anyone care to add the infamous Wolves ITV picture :lol:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Dec 2007 20:12

Ha ha ha...I was going to say that....

Childish, but a quality picture.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Dec 2007 20:12

readingtillidie going by the rules should sonko not of been sent off as he was the last defender can anyone clear this up for me cheers :roll:

By rights it has to be denying a clear goal scoring oportunity for it to be a red card. With Jones' first touch he had more chance of ordering a pint than scoring a goal. It had a touch of the Andrew Johnsons about it, hoof the ball into the next county then fall over as the oponent closes in. However, Sonko's challange invited the dive. He did a similar thing in the first half, beaten for pace so takes a clumsy lunge at where the ball was a second earlier. Fortunately that time it was near the half way line.

Wolves? Whatever happened to them? You never know, we might still end up playing them next year, assuming they get through the 1st round of the Carling Cup..

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 22 Dec 2007 20:22

Coppell's Right Footed 11 SONKO DID NOT TOUCH JONES, FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch it again, the top of Jones' boot gets clipped by Sonko's hip and that's all it took for Jones to allow himself to go flying.

Sonko should have just sheperded him forward. Would have been a tough angle for him to score and Marcus was in position and playing well. You can't go for the tackle there unless you are sure you can get the ball.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Dec 2007 20:36

seahawk10

Watch it again, the top of Jones' boot gets clipped by Sonko's hip and that's all it took for Jones to allow himself to go flying.

Sonko should have just sheperded him forward. Would have been a tough angle for him to score and Marcus was in position and playing well. You can't go for the tackle there unless you are sure you can get the ball.

Spot on - that's the way I saw it too. Still, who cares - we won! And even if the ball didn't clear the line, it's justice for the game when Keano was still at ManUtd and their keeper clawed the ball back from a 1m behind the line ... can't remember him complaining about that travesty!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 22 Dec 2007 20:57

peckhamwolf Given the fact that Reading's 1st goal shouldn't have been a free kick and there is an ongoing thread regarding the winner, an obvious penalty means that was the only clear-cut goal of the game.

Except that the winner WAS a goal. So that makes 2 (although I'm still not convinced by the pen) clear-cut goals.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 22 Dec 2007 20:57

Just watched the highlights on RTE' 2...(xmas in Ireland!!)

It was a penalty. It was as soft as the free-kick that led to the goal.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Dec 2007 21:37

2 world wars, 1 world cup I didn't see it or anything, but based on various factors I think it wasn't a penalty.
Thanks for that input Mr Wenger.

MOTD should clear it up, afterall the main camera is in the West Upper so it should have captured a good angle.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sunderland Penalty

by strap » 22 Dec 2007 21:50

The 17 Bus Was it just me or did Sonko get the ball away, then Jones went down over his legs?

To be fair, from high up in Y20 JJ, it looked a cast iron pen, but then it also looked like Hunt's shot was a good yard over then line, so I can't complain about the scoreline.

Just wished we'd have scored a couple in the first half when we were so on top it was embarassing!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 22 Dec 2007 23:15

Dirk Gently Aye - Sonko certainly won the ball

Wrong

Dirk Gently and then Jones swallow-dived over his outstretched leg.

Right

Edit: Well, sort of right
Last edited by Row Z Royal on 22 Dec 2007 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

readingtillidie

by readingtillidie » 22 Dec 2007 23:36

From Despair To Where?
readingtillidie going by the rules should sonko not of been sent off as he was the last defender can anyone clear this up for me cheers :roll:

By rights it has to be denying a clear goal scoring oportunity for it to be a red card. With Jones' first touch he had more chance of ordering a pint than scoring a goal. It had a touch of the Andrew Johnsons about it, hoof the ball into the next county then fall over as the oponent closes in. However, Sonko's challange invited the dive. He did a similar thing in the first half, beaten for pace so takes a clumsy lunge at where the ball was a second earlier. Fortunately that time it was near the half way line.

Wolves? Whatever happened to them? You never know, we might still end up playing them next year, assuming they get through the 1st round of the Carling Cup..

thanks for that helped sort out bet i lost :cry:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2007 11:10

The more i see of the penalty, the more it looks like Jones dangling his leg and catching Sonko rather than the other way round. Jones won the penatly rather than Sonko giving it away, although I still think the challenge was ill advised. If his first touch hadn't been so heavy, there is absolutely no way Jones would have gone to ground. A penalty by the letter, if not the spirit of the law.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Dec 2007 11:13

Terrible clumsy challenge AGAIN from Reading's can do no wrong centre half.

He gave the referee the easy decision to give it by making such a stupid challenge.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 23 Dec 2007 12:18

Have you had a chance to reconsider this now?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Dec 2007 13:21

Alan Partridge Terrible clumsy challenge AGAIN from Reading's can do no wrong centre half.

He gave the referee the easy decision to give it by making such a stupid challenge.

I guess he needs to adjust to having lost an inch or two of pace since last year.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Dec 2007 13:41

Royal Rother
Alan Partridge Terrible clumsy challenge AGAIN from Reading's can do no wrong centre half.

I guess he needs to adjust to having lost an inch or two of pace since last year.

Maybe. I just think with Sonko due to one outstanding CCC season he is regarded as this collusus centre half and is key to our team etc I would disagree with that. He makes a lot of basic errors, his positioning is questionable and it's that pace as you say that has got him out of a hole in quite a few occasions. Of course he is off the back of a serious injury, it will take time to get up to speed but he was making the same errors last season.

The amount of penalties Sonko has conceeded while at Reading is not good at all. Yesterday was a huge game, a game which Reading deserved to win comfortably but barring a lino's decision we wouldn't have won because of a moment of madness. Mistakes like that when Jones is running away from goal just can't keep happening.

Unlike quite a few i really don't think him missing is going to effect us that much at all really.

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 23 Dec 2007 14:01

Was defo a penalty IMO.

size 12

by size 12 » 23 Dec 2007 14:08

Jones looked to do a Ronaldo, by diving and looking for the outstretched leg/foot of the defender. Ronaldo gets quite a few of these decisions, and Jones got this one