Transfer Policy is letting us down

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 13 Jan 2008 14:56

The 3 players you mentioned left cos Spurs had an excess of players in their first team squad. Looking at Spurs league position now you wonder of they made a big mistake..........

For all the grumblings we are still 13th in the table.

I would be more concerned if I was a Bolton supporter, having lost Anelka who has scoed 50% of their goals this season, you wonder if there is anyway back.

Take comfort that if we survive this season then the promoted clubs all very likely to be in the mould of Derby. Football is rapidly fragmenting into leagues within leagues.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Jan 2008 14:57

Lower West The 3 players you mentioned left cos Spurs had an excess of players in their first team squad. Looking at Spurs league position now you wonder of they made a big mistake..........

I would be more concerned if I was a Bolton supporter, having lost Anelka who has scoed 50% of their goals this season, you wonder if there is anyway back.

Take comfort that if we survive this season then the promoted clubs all very likely to be in the mould of Derby. Football is rapidly fragmenting into leagues within leagues.

worst move ever from bolton
its like theyer saying, we are down, we may as well cash in

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Jan 2008 15:02

RoyalBlue
Kevin Doyles Right Foot
Rev Algenon Stickleback H there's isn't really a problem with our transfer policy. What we have a problem with is with our scouting, as we don't seem able to find players able to come in and claim a place in the team. That we can watch players for over a year and then they turn out not to be good enough is something of a concern.
Doyle, Shorey, Long, Harper, Convey, Hunt, Sonko. all players hardly know of, yet our scouting sysytem unearted them.

Not worked as well recently though has it. Halford, Fae, Cisse (jury out), Rosenior.
that was sort of my point. We've not managed to pick up a single player who has made it to the first XI since promotion. The nearest was Seol, who was helped by Little being injured.

We'd watched Fae for ages apparently, yet he comes here and it's said he'll need to adjust before he can play. If he's not a player who can't come in and play without significant adjustment to his game, then why were we so keen on him?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Jan 2008 15:08

brendywendy
Lower West The 3 players you mentioned left cos Spurs had an excess of players in their first team squad. Looking at Spurs league position now you wonder of they made a big mistake..........

:lol: That's an astoundingly naive comment - and that's really saying something with your previous.

This was Chelsea coming in for Nicolas Anelka. Once they came sniffing it was only ever going to be about how much Bolton could get.

And I would say they've done rather well, and with enough time to still use the money.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Jan 2008 15:13

Platypuss
brendywendy

or consigned themselves to relegation with no one ever coming near that club who has half that boys quality

just think its short-termist
fair enough he wanted out anyway, and then i guess u have to cash in
i just think it looks very bad for them even if they sign another 5 players

:lol: That's an astoundingly naive comment - and that's really saying something with your previous.

This was Chelsea coming in for Nicolas Anelka. Once they came sniffing it was only ever going to be about how much Bolton could get.

And I would say they've done rather well, and with enough time to still use the money.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 Jan 2008 15:24

brendywendy
winchester_royal
brendywendy
readingfc13
PEARCEY just look where Pompey were two years ago.
Exactly! Two seasons ago Pompey were right down the bottom of the league and looked finished. They then signed Benjani, Paramot, Davis and Mendes for a combined total of £12M. Not only did if secure their survival but these players are still regular features of their team two seasons on. The key is they didnt target players who were first teamers at other prem clubs (Sunderland and Hunt anyone?) but went for experienced players who were unhappy that they couldn't get into their teams (and teams that are better than we are, such as spurs). TBH spending a combined total of £7.5M on players the calibre of Mendes, Davis and Paramot is damn good business and doesn't seem without our reach. Yet it's always going to be the wages holding us back.

weve said already that if a quality player was available we would break the wage structure

january isnt over yet

but if we do spend 12 million like pompey did?will that guarantee our survival?

yes

wicked

job done then

, spend 12 million, and we are sorted, whats everyones problem

It depends...if the money was spent on three players who could walk straight into the team and make a positive impact it would certainly help.
With Sunderland now only two points behind us I am getting a bit worried

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Jan 2008 15:37

Platypuss Let us not forget what SSC said at the start of December:

Boss - Spending equals ambition

Steve Coppell has reaffirmed the need for more signings as the Club continues to look for growth.

Earlier this week, Chairman John Madejski confirmed that funds are in place for January signings.

The boss has also said that we would be losing ground if we do not continue to make inroads in the transfer market.

Coppell said, "Players want to come to clubs with ambition, and we like to think we've got ambition.

"If you look at the summer, Man Utd and Liverpool spent £40million, £50million each, we spent hardly anything. So by definition we're losing ground.

"So, for this club to be ambitious we've got be be acquiring three substantial signings every year.

"To be honest, it's a minimum of three.

"As time goes by, those signings will become more expensive.

"For us to make those signings, they've got to want to come here.

"They've got to see the ambition, it's got to be tangible in the form of expensive signings, a bigger stadium.

"Everything about the Club has got to meet the demands of the modern Premier League player."

It's now time to walk the walk, Steve, Hammond, Mr Mad et al.

I got slated at the time for saying Coppell's not going to back his words up.

It's the summer all over again. Coppell comes out talks big (I was at the fans forum at the beginning of the summer where he said we needed 6 players) but when it comes to it he does nothing.

Remember his I'm happy with the squad comments? Now we've got recent results mean I can be picky in the transfer market.

He's does not have the bottle to take this club to the next level.

I'd love to be wrong, if he goes and signs quality players and plays them I'll admit I was wrong, but we all know he won't do it.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Jan 2008 15:39

its still january isnt it?

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Jan 2008 15:42

Steve Coppell has reaffirmed the need for more signings as the Club continues to look for growth.

Earlier this week, Chairman John Madejski confirmed that funds are in place for January signings.

The boss has also said that we would be losing ground if we do not continue to make inroads in the transfer market.

Coppell said, "Players want to come to clubs with ambition, and we like to think we've got ambition.

"If you look at the summer, Man Utd and Liverpool spent £40million, £50million each, we spent hardly anything. So by definition we're losing ground.

"So, for this club to be ambitious we've got be be acquiring three substantial signings every year.

"They've got to see the ambition, it's got to be tangible in the form of expensive signings, a bigger stadium.

"Everything about the Club has got to meet the demands of the modern Premier League player."

It's the summer all over again. Coppell comes out talks big (I was at the fans forum at the beginning of the summer where he said we needed 6 players) but when it comes to it he does nothing.

Remember his I'm happy with the squad comments? Now we've got recent results mean I can be picky in the transfer market.

I'd love to be wrong, if he goes and signs quality players and plays them I'll admit I was wrong, but we all know he won't do it.

the next level being where he took us last year I presume?

How much bottle does it take to sign a few players?

Clearly sacking him now must be the answer then?

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Jan 2008 15:42

brendywendy its still january isnt it?

You said the same all summer.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Jan 2008 15:43

#

:shock: :lol: ?

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Jan 2008 15:44

The next level is establishing us at this level.

Something we need to sign players better than what we have to do.

We've not signed one player better than what we have in 2.5 years.

I don't know how much bottle it takes to sign players, but we need a centre half, a right winger and a centre mid and we need them now.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Jan 2008 15:45

brendywendy

#

:shock: :lol: ?

Yeah alright I'm just thick!! :lol:

I meant you kept saying we shouldn't be panicing in the summer cause the window wasn't shut yet and we'd bring the players in, we didn't....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Jan 2008 15:51

Aah but the likes of Brendywendy and Royal Rother know better than everyone else. The rest of us are just plebs and luddites. :roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Jan 2008 15:53

Royal Lady Aah but the likes of Brendywendy and Royal Rother know better than everyone else. The rest of us are just plebs and luddites. :roll:

thats just daft RL
never said anything of the sort

i could say exactly the same about your comments

im off. see u in the prem next year.

:roll: see i can use them too.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Jan 2008 15:58

I don't know how much bottle it takes to sign players, but we need a centre half, a right winger and a centre mid and we need them now.
so what is it exactly that coppell is "bottling" out of?

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Jan 2008 16:04

Signing the players he himself admits we need.

Spending money and putting presure on himself.

We go down having spent such little money everyone outside this club blames JM. Thinks there's nothing Coppell could do, he wasn't given the money.

IF he signs quality players I will admit I was wrong, but he hasn't yet.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 13 Jan 2008 16:09

We go down having spent such little money everyone outside this club blames JM. Thinks there's nothing Coppell could do, he wasn't given the money.

I'm trying to work if you are actually saying that Coppell isn't trying to sign quality players...

Or are you suggesting that if we can't find anyone who can better our team we should just sign someone to plug the gaps?

We have plenty of players who can plug the gaps. We don't need anymore. There's no point in signing more cover and unless a player comes available that can IMPROVE the team I don't expect us to sign anyone, I have no problem with that. The problem is getting players who are available.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2008 16:15

Plenty of people to plug gaps as effectively as they did yesterday?

Laughable!

I reckon there may be some truth in the claim that SC is very wary of making any real big money signings because if they don't work out the finger will point fairly and squarely at him. At the moment he's got the get out of time to adjust to the English game, signed for the future etc.

He says he won't go for four month signings but, in the absence of anything else, that's exactly what we need as we concentrate on the short term goal of avoiding relegation this season.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Jan 2008 16:15

zac naloen

I'm trying to work if you are actually saying that Coppell isn't trying to sign quality players...

Or are you suggesting that if we can't find anyone who can better our team we should just sign someone to plug the gaps?

We have plenty of players who can plug the gaps. We don't need anymore. There's no point in signing more cover and unless a player comes available that can IMPROVE the team I don't expect us to sign anyone, I have no problem with that. The problem is getting players who are available.

I'm saying Coppell's got issues with dealing with pressure.

That's there's a great deal of pressure that comes with spending money and player who fans expectations will be high with.

Spending £2.5m on Fae was low pressure, spending 800k on Cisse was low pressure. All the signings Coppell has made, with the exception on Lita have been relativity low pressure.