RFC - a total shambles

414 posts
Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 13 Jan 2008 16:01

Only the positive ramblings of Corporal Jones can save us now. 'Don't panic!

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 13 Jan 2008 16:07

Or Arthur Dent.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2008 16:10

Just waiting for someone to photoshop SC as Corporal Jones!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Jan 2008 16:55

Half Time - Bolton 1-0 Blackburn

I'm not sure if i've breached the Royal Rother posting regulations by posting this uncomfortable reality.

To balance it, I don't think the gap will close at all between Monday and Friday next week. Yeah! Go Reading

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Jan 2008 16:57

Schards#2 Half Time - Bolton 1-0 Blackburn

I'm not sure if i've breached the Royal Rother posting regulations by posting this uncomfortable reality.

To balance it, I don't think the gap will close at all between Monday and Friday next week. Yeah! Go Reading

almost gleeful

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Jan 2008 16:59

Schards#2 Half Time - Bolton 1-0 Blackburn

You simply cannot rely on there being enough poor teams, imo. Especially when we cannot beat these poor teams (Bolton 3 Reading 0)

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Jan 2008 17:16

I've checked the rules and find i'm allowed to post that Blackburn have equalised.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Jan 2008 17:40

Schards#2 I've checked the rules and find i'm allowed to post that Blackburn have equalised.

However.............

Rule 12g:-

Blackburn Rovers results can only be mentioned once by each member in one calender week in any one section.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 Jan 2008 17:45

Gordons Cumming
Schards#2 I've checked the rules and find i'm allowed to post that The Northern Team have equalised.

However.............

Rule 12g:-

Blackburn Rovers results can only be mentioned once by each member in one calender week in any one section.

Can The Northern Team be mentioned more than once in a single post?

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 13 Jan 2008 17:49

Yesss Blackbum win in last min

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Jan 2008 17:53

He's today's hero, but I still have to say that I cannot believe Jason Roberts is a premiership footballer.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 13 Jan 2008 19:53

Gordons Cumming Looks like Reading are now only 2 points off a relegation place. :shock:

With no points expected until February 2nd, it looks like we're DOOMED!!!!!
No, no, no, you dimwit. It's after the Bolton game that we're DOOMED. It's a simple matter of looking at the calendar. :roll:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 13 Jan 2008 20:34

Arch
Gordons Cumming Looks like Reading are now only 2 points off a relegation place. :shock:

You're right, points are EXPECTED on February 2nd. It's my belief (speculative comment here, not fact, note) that if we fail to get them then, having gone the whole of January without collecting any points whatsoever, losing to Bolton, on top of the pointless (literally) run, will deplete our confidence so much that we will end up going down. However, if we get them then it is my belief (speculative comment, etc) that it will provide sufficient morale-boosting reserves which will culminate in us collecting over the ensuing weeks sufficient points necessary to stay up. It's a view I have. You may disagree with it - that's your prerogative. I agree that it's not life or death, I've never said or intimated it was. I'm simply saying that, in my view, the match against Bolton on Feb 2nd is a "must win" type of match - not literally of course for the pedants - I had made the mistake of thinking that that went without saying before.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 13 Jan 2008 20:42

a few things are really starting to wind me up regarding coppell and the club in general :

coppell always says he is looking for the right player this basically means = cheap fee and cheap wages )

not blooding the youngsters because they lack experience ( how te fcuk are they ment to get experience if there not even involved in first team duties-forgetting alex pearce yesterday

we spend so much money on season tickets and it isn't spent on players that are needed if we want to stay up

wow it feels good to get that off my chest !!

Cookie

by Cookie » 13 Jan 2008 21:25

rfcjoe a few things are really starting to wind me up regarding coppell and the club in general :

coppell always says he is looking for the right player this basically means = cheap fee and cheap wages )

not blooding the youngsters because they lack experience ( how te fcuk are they ment to get experience if there not even involved in first team duties-forgetting alex pearce yesterday

we spend so much money on season tickets and it isn't spent on players that are needed if we want to stay up

LoL you're persistent I'll say that.

John Peel

by John Peel » 13 Jan 2008 21:28

rfcjoe a few things are really starting to wind me up regarding coppell and the club in general :

In response to your first point, it isn't as simple as that. Coppell isn't looking for cheap wages, it's just the club has a balanced wage structure. You may not agree with it, but just look at other clubs where the balance isn't there e.g. Newcastle. You end up getting a bunch of overpaid t*ssers who don't give a s*it about the team or their team mates. At least the team, bar maybe Leroy sometimes, supports one another and isn't too pretentious to be involved in a relegation scrap.

Your second point, fair enough. I think Coppell should be using the youngsters in the cup, like Arsene does, to give them the confidence and experience. There's no harm if he doesn't give a toss about the competition. Aston Villa away was just too big a jump though.

And finally your last point. It's not a case of us not buying players we need to stay up. It's about attracting players that are better than the ones we've already got and will genuinely add something to the team. Otherwise what's the point? You can't force anyone to play for Reading. And believe it or not someone will still more often than not choose Sunderland, Middlesborough, Bolton etc. over Reading. Even if they're in a worse position than us.

The only players left probably aren't good enough so there's no point in bringing them in. Waste of money. Just look at some of the money Sunderland spent on crap this season and Sheffield Utd last. The reason why the players we get are often so cheap is because Reading is Reading. It's only our second ever season in the top flight and we're still not an established Premiership side. Whether we spend money or not it's always going to be a struggle in probably the most lucrative top flights, and one of the toughest too, in the world.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Jan 2008 21:41

Yes, we are punching above our weight, and doing a pretty good job too.

Once we are established you will notice the difference in the transfer market.

All we need is a little patience, which nobbers on here don't seem to have.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Jan 2008 23:16

Royal Rother Are we still 5 points outside the relegation zone? Well, yes, I think we are! Would those teams below us rather be in our position with our number of points? I rather think they would.

Fcuking doom and gloom merchants! Call yourself supporters when all you want to do is look on the worst possible turn of future events without any real semblance of balance to your views. Crap.

It's only two points now after Sunderland put a poor Portsmouth to the sword. We have two games where we cannot expect to take anything out of them, we might nick a point from either game though if we play like we did against Liverpool and either team is not quite up to scratch. Our only bonus is that those around us might struggle as well

Saturday, 19 January 2008
Birmingham v Chelsea, 15:00
Blackburn v Middlesbrough, 15:00
Fulham v Arsenal, 15:00
Newcastle v Bolton, 17:15
Portsmouth v Derby, 15:00
Reading v Man Utd, 15:00
Tottenham v Sunderland, 15:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, 20 January 2008
Man City v West Ham, 16:00
Wigan v Everton, 13:30

Tuesday, 29 January 2008
Arsenal v Newcastle, 19:45
Bolton v Fulham, 19:45
Derby v Man City, 19:45
Middlesbrough v Wigan, 19:45
Sunderland v Birmingham, 20:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, 30 January 2008
Chelsea v Reading, 19:45
Everton v Tottenham, 19:45
Man Utd v Portsmouth, 20:00
West Ham v Liverpool, 19:45

Let's just hope that no-one else spoils the form book or we could be in the bottom three post Chelsea. The three games where those below us play each other on the Tuesday is huge for our season, three draws please God.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Jan 2008 23:20

Rev Algenon Stickleback H He's today's hero, but I still have to say that I cannot believe Jason Roberts is a premiership footballer.

Really? I've always thought that he looked quite decent when given a run, powerful, decent amount of pace and can score a goal. I'd bite Blackburn's arm off to sign him at the moment

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 14 Jan 2008 00:10

Man Friday
Arch

You're right, points are EXPECTED on February 2nd. It's my belief (speculative comment here, not fact, note) that if we fail to get them then, having gone the whole of January without collecting any points whatsoever, losing to Bolton, on top of the pointless (literally) run, will deplete our confidence so much that we will end up going down. However, if we get them then it is my belief (speculative comment, etc) that it will provide sufficient morale-boosting reserves which will culminate in us collecting over the ensuing weeks sufficient points necessary to stay up. It's a view I have. You may disagree with it - that's your prerogative. I agree that it's not life or death, I've never said or intimated it was. I'm simply saying that, in my view, the match against Bolton on Feb 2nd is a "must win" type of match - not literally of course for the pedants - I had made the mistake of thinking that that went without saying before.

slightly concerned that the pattern of relegation ie 1997/8, 1987/88 could be followed :? lets hope that we do beat bolton as feb was when it turned very sour for terry the taxi!

414 posts