The "be realistic" transfer discussion thread

Cod

by Cod » 15 Jan 2008 10:18

You people are unbelievable.

I think most of you have had too many pills - you have the attention spans of a gnat.

The progress of this club has been nothing short of astonishing under Madjeski and Coppell. So we are having a tough time? It happens in football - confidence plays a big part. We know these players can do it - and the weasels who slag the players off on here and in the ground only make it worse. I totally accept that Coppell is capable of making mistakes, as all of us are, but to suggest he should go is utter madness.

The core problem is the premier league is completely dysfunctional, with braindead fans and corporate owners expecting instant success, with a wealth structure that stifles competition.

I am proud to support a club that doesnt operate like that - we are club that used to get 3,000 crowds, that with no big money signings have bucked the trend. We are also sustainable, not riddled with debt, and until now, used to have fans who got behind the team and had a sense of humour. I fear that listening to the posters on here, the club and its fans will become the very thing I always despised in Man Utd and Chelsea.

Spoilt babies the lot of you.....

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2008 10:24

Ideal
Royal Rother
I'm not very hard to please either. For instance wolves just signed Andy Edwards for £675k from Luton. A midfielder. I would settle for that, or for PNE's Simon Whaley, or anyone - just to see something being done.
It's not like I'm demanding we spend millions, we just need to do _SOMETHING_ - doing something is better than just sitting idle waiting for disaster to strike. Even doing something wrong is better than doing nothing, at least then we've made an attempt at rectifying the situation.
You really think we're doing nothing?

You haven't got a bloody clue.

Tell you what, let's sign someone, anyone, doesn't matter who the hell it is just so that you can feel that we are doing something!

Oh God, I think I'm going to get more work done today....

I don't think you really understand very much.
Anyone would be an improvement over Cissé, I don't think anyone could do worse.

Halford?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 10:28

West Stand Flash
Coppelled Streets
West Stand Flash
Royal Rother
So your saying we haven't been on the decline & that we have improved yeh?

Not at all WSF. I simply find it surprising that people feel the need to contribute to yet another thread dripping with negativity about our club, its transfer dealings, its management etc...

Is a forum not to discuss things?

Nothing is exactly rosey at Reading is it :roll:

Yet these are still good days. Make the most of it!

Ah beautiful - Another fan who reals off the tosh of "you should be happy to be here", "look how far we have come".

Shut up, the likes of you make me laugh. Football is a game of progression & setting targets to achieve better than you have before.

Since we got promoted our Team has gone backwards yet the profits have considerably risen. The hotel is bigger & the club has grown. Shame Madejski has forgotten the team needs to grow also.

Won't it be great having our fancy arse stadium & corporate facilities in the Championship :roll:

the stadium will grow
our income will grow
training ground is superb-which will help attract players
we already have half of the new rebuilt reading FC team in place
bikey, rosenior, matejovsky, long, pearce, henry, cisse, fae
they will come good-copps didnt want to betray the championship team, they have done what was asked and more over last two seasons, now its apparent they have let things slip slightly, im sure we will see some changes after january-two weeks left in the window-in the hunt for a few players yet
some fantastic youngsters almost ready to burst into the 1st team
a squad absolutely full of good internationally capped players

sonko, shorey, harper, marcus, murts, ingimarrson, doyle-all having tougher seasons this time round, but that was hardly predictable for all of them was it, and im sure the club hoped that fae and cisse would be good enough to demand inclusion in the 1st team when bought

id say our club is moving forward all the time, and as long as we survive we'll be ready to push for europe in a season or two, and start to really establish our club as a premiere league regular, with the wage structure etc that goes with it,maybe with a new owner, but this is a long term project, it wont happen over night despite our great 1st season
have a little faith and patience

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 15 Jan 2008 10:31

Going purely on the rumours about who is available we could do alot worse than get Routledge, Cahill and Jason Roberts (should we lose Lita).

Other realistic targets for me, although I don't know if they're available, would be Kightly, Taylor (should we lose a left sided player) and Johnny Evans. This is assuming that Matejovski will come good, if not then I'd probably have Ben Watson, although I'm sure January will be over by the time we see Matejovski get a run in the team.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 10:35

Hahnemann's Hairdresser Going purely on the rumours about who is available we could do alot worse than get Routledge, Cahill and Jason Roberts (should we lose Lita).

Other realistic targets for me, although I don't know if they're available, would be Kightly, Taylor (should we lose a left sided player) and Johnny Evans. This is assuming that Matejovski will come good, if not then I'd probably have Ben Watson, although I'm sure January will be over by the time we see Matejovski get a run in the team.

what would make the doubters happy this january

if we signed say watson, taylor, and loaned linvoy primus would that be enough?

mifsud, gardener, kightly?

what do you reckon would constitute a positive enough january to make you comfortable with our current predicament?

Jase_Royals

by Jase_Royals » 15 Jan 2008 10:39

I'd certainly be very pleased if we signed both Cahill and Routledge!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 10:43

Jase_Royals I'd certainly be very pleased if we signed both Cahill and Routledge!

me too

two signings of that quality
plus matejovsky would make a good january in my eyes

79Royal

by 79Royal » 15 Jan 2008 10:52

West Stand Flash
Coppelled Streets
West Stand Flash
Royal Rother
So your saying we haven't been on the decline & that we have improved yeh?

Not at all WSF. I simply find it surprising that people feel the need to contribute to yet another thread dripping with negativity about our club, its transfer dealings, its management etc...

Is a forum not to discuss things?

Nothing is exactly rosey at Reading is it :roll:

Ah beautiful - Another fan who reals off the tosh of "you should be happy to be here", "look how far we have come".

Shut up, the likes of you make me laugh. Football is a game of progression & setting targets to achieve better than you have before.

Since we got promoted our Team has gone backwards yet the profits have considerably risen. The hotel is bigger & the club has grown. Shame Madejski has forgotten the team needs to grow also.

Won't it be great having our fancy arse stadium & corporate facilities in the Championship :roll:

What makes you so sure that Madejski is the one unwilling to spend?

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 15 Jan 2008 11:02

Madejski has said there is money available yes. Wages is the problem. When is he going to get real & bring the wage structure up with the other Premierhsip sides. The majority of the Championship pay more than we do.

If the salaries aren't there, the btter players will NEVER join RFC.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 15 Jan 2008 11:14

brendywendy
Hahnemann's Hairdresser Going purely on the rumours about who is available we could do alot worse than get Routledge, Cahill and Jason Roberts (should we lose Lita).

what do you reckon would constitute a positive enough january to make you comfortable with our current predicament?

A right midfielder and a centre back that are good enough to play as soon as they've been signed would make me happy, not that I'm a doubter or anything, it's just that those are the 2 positions that we clearly need to strengthen at the moment. I'd also like to see Rosenior get a few games, he is a player with 3 years Premiership experience, has genuine pace and is strong with it. A right hand side of Rosenior and Routledge would add both pace and balence to the team, which would be a refreshing change from the turgid football played by people who are out of position that is currently being served up.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jan 2008 11:22

Cod You people are unbelievable.

I think most of you have had too many pills - you have the attention spans of a gnat.

The progress of this club has been nothing short of astonishing under Madjeski and Coppell. So we are having a tough time? It happens in football - confidence plays a big part. We know these players can do it - and the weasels who slag the players off on here and in the ground only make it worse. I totally accept that Coppell is capable of making mistakes, as all of us are, but to suggest he should go is utter madness.

The core problem is the premier league is completely dysfunctional, with braindead fans and corporate owners expecting instant success, with a wealth structure that stifles competition.

I am proud to support a club that doesnt operate like that - we are club that used to get 3,000 crowds, that with no big money signings have bucked the trend. We are also sustainable, not riddled with debt, and until now, used to have fans who got behind the team and had a sense of humour. I fear that listening to the posters on here, the club and its fans will become the very thing I always despised in Man Utd and Chelsea.

Excellent. Please post more often.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Jan 2008 11:29

Royal Rother

But it's that sort of attiutde that will see clubs relegated and never come back. it's also not the attiutde this club has.......well in the media anyway.

No one expects Reading to win the league, or spent £100million. What people want is for Reading to be competitive and look like they are trying to be.

The Club has moved on in the last 10-15 years at an incredible rate, and it has done it the right way by and large. But now is the time they have to decide what they want. Football sadly is about how rich you are, the teams with the money occupy the top spots and the teams that don't are at the bottom. Are Reading happy punching above their weight, are they able to accept a possible relegation this year or in other years by sticking rigidly to this very low budget? Or do they want to push on and be consistant in and around the top half of the league? It can only be done with money sadly.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 11:35

Hahnemann's Hairdresser
brendywendy

A right midfielder and a centre back that are good enough to play as soon as they've been signed would make me happy, not that I'm a doubter or anything, it's just that those are the 2 positions that we clearly need to strengthen at the moment. I'd also like to see Rosenior get a few games, he is a player with 3 years Premiership experience, has genuine pace and is strong with it. A right hand side of Rosenior and Routledge would add both pace and balence to the team, which would be a refreshing change from the turgid football played by people who are out of position that is currently being served up.

i am asking who specifically would make you happy

routlege for right side

whos the CB you want?

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 15 Jan 2008 11:35

Alan Partridge
Royal Rother

But it's that sort of attiutde that will see clubs relegated and never come back. it's also not the attiutde this club has.......well in the media anyway.

No one expects Reading to win the league, or spent £100million. What people want is for Reading to be competitive and look like they are trying to be.

The Club has moved on in the last 10-15 years at an incredible rate, and it has done it the right way by and large. But now is the time they have to decide what they want. Football sadly is about how rich you are, the teams with the money occupy the top spots and the teams that don't are at the bottom. Are Reading happy punching above their weight, are they able to accept a possible relegation this year or in other years by sticking rigidly to this very low budget? Or do they want to push on and be consistant in and around the top half of the league? It can only be done with money sadly.

Agree, didn't Nigel Howe come out with something about having intentions on being a top 10 club? I think fans have every right to feel hard done by if their expectation levels are raised to this level only to see no actions that back this statement of ambition up. As admirable as RFC are, they will never keep progressing like they have been without conforming to the way football has become.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 11:36

Hahnemann's Hairdresser
Alan Partridge
Royal Rother

Agree, didn't Nigel Howe come out with something about having intentions on being a top 10 club? I think fans have every right to feel hard done by if their expectation levels are raised to this level only to see no actions that back this statement of ambition up. As admirable as RFC are, they will never keep progressing like they have been without conforming to the way football has become.

no one but a fool though that he meant this season

its a long term project to establish us, and wont happen over night
despite our great 1st season

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 15 Jan 2008 11:42

Coppelled Streets

Why? Because we'll soon be dropping down the league to our rightful place in the 3rd tier????

These really are the Golden Years of RFC, but why shouldn't they go on? For years we had a board who were content to meander along in Div3(s) then D3. We showed a bit of imagination and hired Jack Mansell, who gave us a glimpse of something before we dropped into teh basement.

Since then, without exception, (until Mr Mad), we have had a succession of Boards who just didn't have the balls, (or more likely financial clout), to expand the club.

Every year, without exception, a promotion was followed by the break-up of the promotion winning side with inadequate replacements being brought in. It was almost as though the Board were caught in the headlights of some on rushing juggernaut, and simply froze.

Then Mr Mad arrived to save us from extinction. Gradually using his brick on brick approach, steady investment and progress was made. We even had the sight of a promotion team actually being strengthened.

However, since we have arrived in the Premiership, it seems to me the juggernaut's headlights have just got too big even for Mr Mad. The team that was promoted 2 years ago has not had one single significant player added to it. There is not a single player. playing regular Premiership football for RFC that didn't play a significant part in the Championship winning season 2 years ago.

The team of Hahnemann, Murty, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Shorey, Hunt, Harper, Gunnarsson, Convey, Doyle and Kitson virtually picks itself, EVEN NOW. Even the subs would be Lita, Long, Little, Oster and Federic if fit.

Ladies and Gentlemen - THAT is the reason people are alarmed, fed, up, negative, call it what you will. We are not progressing as a team. The signings made in the last 2 years have been, shall we say, puzzleing.

Spending, for Reading, vast sums of money on players who can't speak English and are not up to speed with teh English game might be OK if they were a) given games to get up to speed, and b) played in their most comfortable posaition). We do neither of those things, leaving them to languish in the reserves whilst they "gain experience". Cisse is at last getting a few outings, but that is onlt courtesy og the ACoN.

The latest signing is another case in point. Bought in on the cheap, he is in middle of his last team's mid-season break so hasn't played in a month. He seems to be good enough to get into his national squad for their next game, but cannot get into ours for a Premiership game!! Only at Manchester United, Chelsea .... or Reading (???) would that be possible!!!

Then there the constant stream of signing 17-19 year olds "for the future", when the Academy graduates we do produce are simply ignored. Cox, Pearce and Henry must wonder what they have to do to get even on the bench. We have had problems at centre-back and right midfield all season, yet Pearce, Cox and Henry have made one sub appearance each in the LC this season and have yet to even make the bench for a league game this season.

By all means have a go at us whingers, but for goodness sake, don't ignore the facts. They are staring at us in the face, just as the Championship is. We would all be foolish to fall into the trap of thinking we are too good, or there are 3 worse teams than us this year. The final table is based on points won.

On the plus side, there are still 2 weeks of the transfer window to go. Asuming we can hold onto Shorey, Lita, Hunt and Doyle, (combined saleable value c. £22M if latest tabloids are to be believd Mr Mad!!), we have a fighting chance.
Last edited by strap on 15 Jan 2008 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 15 Jan 2008 11:46

brendywendy i am asking who specifically would make you happy

routlege for right side

whos the CB you want?

Cahill, realistically, although I think Stephen Taylor at Newcastle is obtainable if we suddenly decide to spend a bit bigger.

brendywendy no one but a fool though that he meant this season

I don't see why it couldn't have happened this season. We could have spent a bit more money a bit more sensibly and quite easily have been solidly in the 9th-12th group that has opened up, thus continueing the steady upward trend. As it is we have spent £6m on 2 players for zero return and could well be in a relegation dogfight in a few weeks.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2008 11:46

Strap, are you going to start your "Only Vinnie can save us" posts?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Jan 2008 11:49

SpaceCruiser Strap, are you going to start your "Only Vinnie can save us" posts?

To be fair though, strap's post is pretty much bang on.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jan 2008 11:52

Hahnemann's Hairdresser
brendywendy i am asking who specifically would make you happy

routlege for right side

whos the CB you want?

Cahill, realistically, although I think Stephen Taylor at Newcastle is obtainable if we suddenly decide to spend a bit bigger.

brendywendy no one but a fool though that he meant this season

I don't see why it couldn't have happened this season. We could have spent a bit more money a bit more sensibly and quite easily have been solidly in the 9th-12th group that has opened up, thus continueing the steady upward trend. As it is we have spent £6m on 2 players for zero return and could well be in a relegation dogfight in a few weeks.

it was certainly possible, though not probable
but no one was on here in the summer saying we could do the same as last year.
why start now
spending that money is no guarantee it would have happened,
it could have happened if oster hadnt got injured and little come back quicker
it could have happened if cisse or fae had bedded in quicker
it could have happened if scott brown had come here
but it didnt

we arent going to turn from perennial play off losers/challengers to premiere league top halfers in 3 seasons