Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 17:21

LoyalRoyalFan Tbh we need to bring in 2 players.

A New CB is a must for me
:

We have a new (to us) CB. Why go and sign someone else who could not possibly turn in a better performance than that which Cisse produced last week? Why not believe the evidence of your own eyes and be happy with what we've got?

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 25 Jan 2008 17:31

[quote][/quote]

Exactly my point. Oxford went for a 15k all seater whilst we went for a 25K and now just look at the difference in size & fortune of the two clubs. At the time people said our's was too big and a size like OUFC would suit us better ! We need the extention even if we get relegated if we are to progess in years to come.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2008 17:50

Royal Rother
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe It's the same shite every fcukin time isn't it?

Who said lets go and spend money on players not good enough? Who's said that?

It's the same shite every fcukin time isn't it?

Why not just accept the fact that if they were good enough, wanted to come here, were of the right personality, for the right price and with sensible wage demands we would sign them? Why not?

Why not just accept the fact that an awful lot more activity happens within the club during transfer windows than you know about?

Speculation is okay and mild disgruntlement I can live with but this rabid obsession with the lack of signings is just silly.

Spot on.

I do actually wonder what some people think the management team are doing at the moment. Matejovsky and Kebe (if he signs) haven't just appeared on the clubs radar they've been deals we'd been pursuing for some time and managed to keep quiet right up until they were virtually complete.

The club have said they were in talks with regards to an unamed Prem defender, the talks stalled, could be for a number of reasons - wage demands, the selling club upping the fee, length of contract, clauses in the deal, Cisse's performance at the weekend, the player not fancying a move south from a Northern Club.

They will be constantly aware of any movements in the market that may free up players that fit what we are looking for and will improve our side. What they won't do is go and get a player that is not right for us, whoever they may be and however much they may cost.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 25 Jan 2008 18:42

Stranded Spot on.

I do actually wonder what some people think the management team are doing at the moment. Matejovsky and Kebe (if he signs) haven't just appeared on the clubs radar they've been deals we'd been pursuing for some time and managed to keep quiet right up until they were virtually complete.

The club have said they were in talks with regards to an unamed Prem defender, the talks stalled, could be for a number of reasons - wage demands, the selling club upping the fee, length of contract, clauses in the deal, Cisse's performance at the weekend, the player not fancying a move south from a Northern Club.

They will be constantly aware of any movements in the market that may free up players that fit what we are looking for and will improve our side. What they won't do is go and get a player that is not right for us, whoever they may be and however much they may cost.

I agree with the sentiments, and we don't hear a lot of what goes on behind the scenes, but why are you so convinced that the management are doing everything capable to improve the side? Even if they are, does that mean nobody is allowed to express an opinion that they're best is either not good enough, that the clubs transfer policy isn't aggressive enough, or that their judgement (or perceived judgement) on a player can be called into question?

Just because we've had a very successful couple of years doesn't mean that every decision or road the management take can't be questions, criticised or chastised surely?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Jan 2008 18:52

Southbank Old Boy
Stranded Spot on.

I agree with the sentiments, and we don't hear a lot of what goes on behind the scenes, but why are you so convinced that the management are doing everything capable to improve the side? Even if they are, does that mean nobody is allowed to express an opinion that they're best is either not good enough, that the clubs transfer policy isn't aggressive enough, or that their judgement (or perceived judgement) on a player can be called into question?

Just because we've had a very successful couple of years doesn't mean that every decision or road the management take can't be questions, criticised or chastised surely?

Good post Southbank.

I am a bit disappointed we haven't strengthened defensively but at least we are holding on to the likes of Shorey, Hunt, Doyle etc which is someting that should not be overlooked. I do think a bolder approach in the transfer market would have helped though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2008 19:34

Coppell is turning into an obsessive gambler.

Gambling on Little's fitness (twice). Gambling on Oster's fitness (twice). Gambling on Duberry's fitness. Now gambling that Cameroon and Senegal get knocked out of the ACON early so that we get two central defenders back to enable our watertight defence to reform.

Gambling that we don't pick up any more serious injuries.

Gambling with our PL status.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Jan 2008 19:39

Let's assume for argument's sake that Coppell believes the squad needs strengthening to avoid a relegation scrap.

Let's also assume he has tried to sign players, but for whatever reason, they haven't come off.

Do you expect him to say...

a) we've looked at bringing players in, but couldn't, but I'm content to go with the squad we have.

b) we've looked at bringing players in, but couldn't, and I'm worried the players I have aren't good enough.

I just can't understand this insistence that a lack of signings somehow means we aren't even bothering to look.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 25 Jan 2008 19:45

al Rother, 25 Jan 2008 16:23
When you are doing your jobs and you are planning forward do you ever find that you change your mind during the course of a year?

If yes, when that happens what causes it? A variety of factors I should imagine - market forces, staff training and development - some people progressing better than expected, the economy etc. etc. There must be many many more.

Do you then have hundreds of people going back over the precise phrasing of various statements made during the course of the previous 12 months, analysing them in minute detail to see where they are inconsistent with what you've actually done?

No, I didn't think so.

Steve Coppell operates in the real world as well as the rest of us and things happen, situations ebb and flow during the course of a season,and he changes his mind at times. Big deal! The fact is that because he operates in a ridiculous goldfish bowl where he has to say something to keep the bandwagon of the media scrutiny rolling along at all times he will open his mouth with an opinion that is valid at the point but becomes invalid later on as real events unfold.

Stop hanging on his every word - it's silly.

Shareholders of companies in industry hold people to account. If anyone said at the start of each year that they would institute improvements but repeatedly year on year failed to deliver they would be out on their ear. As a long term supporter I regard myself as a stakeholder in RFC and I am fed up with Coppell, Hammond and the Chairman talking big when the transfer window is closed and then coming up with the same old feeble excuses when they fail to deliver.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 19:55

North Somerset Royal
When you are doing your jobs and you are planning forward do you ever find that you change your mind during the course of a year?

If yes, when that happens what causes it? A variety of factors I should imagine - market forces, staff training and development - some people progressing better than expected, the economy etc. etc. There must be many many more.

Do you then have hundreds of people going back over the precise phrasing of various statements made during the course of the previous 12 months, analysing them in minute detail to see where they are inconsistent with what you've actually done?

No, I didn't think so.

Steve Coppell operates in the real world as well as the rest of us and things happen, situations ebb and flow during the course of a season,and he changes his mind at times. Big deal! The fact is that because he operates in a ridiculous goldfish bowl where he has to say something to keep the bandwagon of the media scrutiny rolling along at all times he will open his mouth with an opinion that is valid at the point but becomes invalid later on as real events unfold.

Shareholders of companies in industry hold people to account. If anyone said at the start of each year that they would institute improvements but repeatedly year on year failed to deliver they would be out on their ear. As a long term supporter I regard myself as a stakeholder in RFC and I am fed up with Coppell, Hammond and the Chairman talking big when the transfer window is closed and then coming up with the same old feeble excuses when they fail to deliver.

And this has happened year on year has it? Good grief!! :roll:

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 25 Jan 2008 20:03

Royal Rother And this has happened year on year has it? Good grief!!
North Somerset Royal

No, I didn't think so.

And this has happened year on year has it? Good grief!! :roll:

Yes! It happened last year and this. That is "year on year" but i could also cite similar instances back in the championship days.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 20:04

Southbank Old Boy
Stranded Spot on.

It's a free world and a reasonably balanced board, but please don't suggest that the positive amongst are not allowing those who are more questioning of the management's wisdom to express their opinions.

The agression is far more in evidence in the way the latter are expressing themselves.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 20:12

North Somerset Royal
Royal Rother And this has happened "repeatedly year on year" has it? Good grief!! :roll:

Yes! It happened last year and this. That is "year on year" but i could also cite similar instances back in the championship days.

And look where it's got us.

The club don't get it right all of the time but the way in which JM has run the club in the last 2 decades has shown foresight and wisdom that almost every other club in the land would love to have replicated, and that, and certainly the way in which SC has run the playing staff, deserves (and receives throughout every other club in the land bar our own) universal admiration and support.

I do think their methods deserve a little more respect and faith than many on here are showing.

But there you go, this is a discussion that can only go backwards and forwards and is, frankly, becoming tedious now (for all participants I would imagine).

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Jan 2008 20:30

Royal Rother
Southbank Old Boy
Stranded Spot on.

It's a free world and a reasonably balanced board, but please don't suggest that the positive amongst are not allowing those who are more questioning of the management's wisdom to express their opinions.

The agression is far more in evidence in the way the latter are expressing themselves.

Not too. I would say there is more aggression being shown towards those who deign to criticise the clubs transfer policy

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Jan 2008 20:33

PEARCEY I would say there is more aggression being shown towards those who deign to criticise the clubs transfer policy
Something about not suffering fools gladly?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Jan 2008 20:34

It is interesting that people reel off names of players on our books such as 7 centre-backs as if the numbers mean that we are somehow bound to succeed when in fact we have a mass of mediocrity.
We are in a perilous position in the Premier League,have lost 4 games on the trot and have bought one player in this transfer window.
Obviously the staff have been working to bring players in but I just get the feeling that whereas they could identify good Championship players (some of whom have even exceeded expectations in the Premier League such as Doyle and Kitson)they are not very good at identifying and bringing in Premier standard players to improve on what we already have.
Bikey,Cisse,Fae,Halls,Sodje,Bennett,Rosenior and so on have contributed so little to our cause and yet have hardly played,have cost 7 lots of salaries and something like £7million in transfer fees.
One decent player at £7million and just one salary of say £40,000 might have had a bigger impact than all of these.

Yes I know a £7million man might have been a failure but Coppell has said many times that when you spend bigger there is a greater chance that the player will be better.
We have too many players who are not good enough and how come we never sell anybody or do more than just loan them out?
IMHO it will take more than one battling performance against a top club and everybody keeping their fingers crossed that Little returns to see us through these difficult months ahead.
One special signing could well lift everybody including the players as well as the fans and we all need a lift as we watch our club slide swiftly towards relegation.
There are still a few days left so all is not lost and we really should not be relying on makeshift players to somehow get us through this season.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Jan 2008 20:37

Arch
PEARCEY I would say there is more aggression being shown towards those who deign to criticise the clubs transfer policy
Something about not suffering fools gladly?

Not sure what you mean by that but everyone is entitled to voice their opinion whether it be critical or supportive.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Jan 2008 21:04

North Somerset Royal Shareholders of companies in industry hold people to account. If anyone said at the start of each year that they would institute improvements but repeatedly year on year failed to deliver they would be out on their ear. As a long term supporter I regard myself as a stakeholder in RFC and I am fed up with Coppell, Hammond and the Chairman talking big when the transfer window is closed and then coming up with the same old feeble excuses when they fail to deliver.

Just how much of the club you feel you legally have a stake in as opposed to being a customer?

As a stakeholder perhaps all complaints about transfer activity should therefore be directed at you?

Unless of course you don't actually have a 'stake' at all

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 21:23

PEARCEY
Royal Rother
Southbank Old Boy Just because we've had a very successful couple of years doesn't mean that every decision or road the management take can't be questions, criticised or chastised surely?

Not too. I would say there is more aggression being shown towards those who deign to criticise the clubs transfer policy

I don't agree. (But then I discount anything said by and to West Stand Flash as it would be unfair to include the sub-normal.)

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Jan 2008 21:32

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree but do so in a civilised way unlike some posters on this board

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Jan 2008 21:45

Ideal
Royal Rother A huge load of old guff

Everything you said in your previous 10 posts on this subject is a total load of cock and you don't know shit about football.

Thank you.

Thanks for that Ideal.........you have pretty much demolished my argument about aggression etc. He may have a different view to you but its his opinion and its as valid as yours whether you like it or not.

470 posts