Emerse Fae

170 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Emerse Fae

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2008 08:52

There are similarities between Fae and a lot of players coming to England.

For example, Drogba had a fairly indistinguished first season in England but has gone on to be one of the best strikers in the league. I'm not saying that Fae will have that sort of impact but he could easily look a different player next season.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 25 Jan 2008 09:37

Cookie
Ideal
Gordons Cumming I know many transfers are a risk, in fact mostly all of them, but he and Halford do smack of poor scouting to me.

Fae has been a horrendous signing, and I think it has to do with his attitude.
Coppell seems to like players who are motivated to improve.
Judging by Fae's statements he is one of those people who thinks everyone else is wrong, rather than just trying to improve and get into the team.
We should get rid of him ASAP and get someone else.

"horrendous signing" that's a bit strong old chap. :o

There are loads of examples of where a player comes from a skill-oriented atmosphere like the French league and then takes a while to bed in. Fae's "big brother" Diddly Drogba is just such a case. The Prem is strewn with them.

I say trust the club.

Big brother at Chelsea. Swap deal with Sidwell?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jan 2008 09:55

Ideal
2 world wars, 1 world cup Time will tell

I have to say I think time has already told.
If he's not settled in by now he probably never will be, and he's already giving it the "I'm to good to not be playing" treatment so he's not going to knuckle down in training.
I say we cut our losses, tell him to fcuk orf and sell him to some french buggers.
Maybe we could cut a swap deal with St. Etienne to get Bayall Sall? He looked a class act for Senegal the other night.

not going to list the players who took more than half a season to bed into the prem
you already know who they all are
saying hes not going to knuckle down in training is just daft-have you seen him train?
lita is unhappy with not playing but apparently is one of the hardest workers in training so its kinda irrelevant
i wouldnt be surprised if he was offloaded, but i would also not be surprised if he was a regular player next season

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 25 Jan 2008 10:06

brendywendy
Ideal

If he's not settled in by now he probably never will be, and he's already giving it the "I'm to good to not be playing" treatment so he's not going to knuckle down in training.
I say we cut our losses, tell him to fcuk orf and sell him to some french buggers.
Maybe we could cut a swap deal with St. Etienne to get Bayall Sall? He looked a class act for Senegal the other night.

saying hes not going to knuckle down in training is just daft-have you seen him train?
lita is unhappy with not playing but apparently is one of the hardest workers in training

:D

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jan 2008 10:24

The whole year inn
brendywendy
Ideal

lita is unhappy with not playing but apparently is one of the hardest workers in training

:D

sorry i am unfamiliar with the new emoticons
that one looks a bit like someone having his cock sucked

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 25 Jan 2008 10:29

'apparently'

LOL

Cookie

by Cookie » 26 Jan 2008 21:30

The whole year inn You find it hard to believe we have spent 2.5 million on a dud on two separate occasions, you mean?

The walls round here are way too thin.

Cookie

by Cookie » 26 Jan 2008 21:40

brenywendy wrote:
"sorry i am unfamiliar with the new emoticons
that one looks a bit like someone having his cock sucked"

Your halo is slipping. :D

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2008 21:47

The whole year inn You find it hard to believe we have spent 2.5 million on a dud on two separate occasions, you mean?

Spending 2.5m on someone who sell for 3.5m doesn't count as a failure in my book. !

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2008 21:51

Big Ern
Ideal

I don't want to give anyone false hope about Fae, but there are similarities between Fae's and Convey's situation when he first joined.

When we signed Convey, (for what was for us at time a lot of money), he simply could not get into the team for his first season, and even when he did play, he didn;t look that impressive. Convey also started making noises about leaving as well, then season 2 and he was a key figure in us romping the championship.

Yes there are parallels, and that is no guarantee in the 2nd season, but it can take time for these players to settle in.

Just the comparison I was going to make. Glad I checked through other responses first.

Yes cutting our losses isn't unreasonable, and I say if we get a bid then fine.

But I'm not convinced we can say "time has already told", bearing in mind Convey (as one example). Unless of course his attitude is blocking him. From what I can tell of Convey he never gives up: keeps trying to impress, which is good. If it's the case that Fae has given up then perhaps yes it is the end of the road for him?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Jan 2008 23:17

People like Ideal will never ever learn.

Up until precisely 120 minutes of football ago, Cisse had looked even less of a prospect than Fae.

Now we know that he has something pretty special in his locker and that he is capable of playing to a very high standard in the PL.

Fae cost 4 times as much as Cisse, so at this stage to write him off as a horrendous signing is, as pretty much to be expected, a quite ridiculous over-reaction from one of the masters of the art.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2008 23:40

I can see both sides of the argument, and think everyone's capable of over-reacting.

As a very staunch Coppell fan I don't like to say he has made a dud signing and I don't believe he has, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit peeved at a 2.5m signing being outchosen by The Gunman.

I see it as the balls and wisdom that Coppell has, to play who he considers to be the strongest side, even if it means not playing his most expensive signing. There's an honesty and courage there that I really admire. But that's a different point.

I am convinced there's *something* to Fae if Coppell signed him and would be very reluctant to write him off.

There probably is no right or wrong in this and Coppell is certainly as peeved with the situation as the rest of us. I remember when I only saw the second half of a match Fae started in and slated him bigtime on HNA. People (quite rightly) had a go at me for only having wathced the second half and were full of praise for his excellent first half performance. There is no right or wrong. If there's one man who can fulfil a potential it's Coppell.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 27 Jan 2008 00:31

Fae talks like he has the right attitude.

Whether he can translate that to the pitch is a different matter,

I belive that, given time, he'll be a good player. I also believe that he underestimated the time it would take to adjust but the Reading backroom staff are fully aware that he needs time.

I'm willing to put money on the fact that he comes good. PM me if you think differently.

The Cube

by The Cube » 27 Jan 2008 01:30

I've said some very unkind things about Fae recently (mostly - but not exclusively - in conversations rather than on the board).

However, I've since learnt that he is still very highly rated by Coppell and by others who know more about him than I do. So I'm prepared to give him a while longer. However, I still find it disappointing that he was unable to make an immediate impact.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 27 Jan 2008 08:33

Stranded There are similarities between Fae and a lot of players coming to England.

For example, Drogba had a fairly indistinguished first season in England but has gone on to be one of the best strikers in the league. I'm not saying that Fae will have that sort of impact but he could easily look a different player next season.

The main difference is the trust Drogba's manager still showed (or was able to show at least) in his signing in playing him week in week out. He learnt to play by playing.

I'm not sure how Fae will be picking up the differences in the English game from the stands.

starbug

by starbug » 27 Jan 2008 13:03

but Drogba was allowed to consistently play and was actually pretty laughable in his first season, got slowly better and suddenly blossomed. If Fae doesn't play, his contract will run out before he has a chance to prove himself. I dont understand how we can track people for so long and as soon as we get them they're not good enough to get in the first team, especially for the money we paid.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Jan 2008 14:37

Ideal
Southbank Old Boy
Stranded There are similarities between Fae and a lot of players coming to England.

The main difference is the trust Drogba's manager still showed (or was able to show at least) in his signing in playing him week in week out. He learnt to play by playing.

No.
The MAIN difference between Fae and Drogba was that Drogba was a class act. He had already been scoring hattricks in the champions league with his previous club. He was destined to succeed because of SUPERIOR ABILITY.
I just can not see the same in Fae.

Hang on that's prejudice.

You can't go by what you perceived them to be like beforehand. Everyone starts somewhere. Perhaps we shouldn't have bothered with Kitson, Doyle, Shorey, Murty, Convey etc etc etc....?

If it is decided a player has potential that's all that matters. If we only ever went on previous form we'd only ever be signing the Keowns and Ferdinands of the world.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Jan 2008 15:53

When he played in the cup he may as well not have been on the pitch. I game utterly passed him by and he didn't seem to put the work in to make up for it.

Coppell will forgive and work with you if your just not good enough. You can see how much he's improved Cisse and Bikey. But from what I've seen on the pitch, Cisse and Bikey, while lacking in quality are prepared to work their bollox off. I'm not sure Fae is and you just won't get away with that in a Coppell team.

How we've signed a player who like Halford, seems out of the Coppell mould of hard working players is what worries me. I'm 100% positive Fae wouldn't have been the 1st choice to replace Sid and it's seems yet another case of us having to just take what we can get. Sometimes (like hopefully with Marek) it works out, most of the times it doesn't and we can't afford to improve this squad.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Jan 2008 17:14

Ideal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ideal
The MAIN difference between Fae and Drogba was that Drogba was a class act. He had already been scoring hattricks in the champions league with his previous club. He was destined to succeed because of SUPERIOR ABILITY.
I just can not see the same in Fae.

Hang on that's prejudice.
You can't go by what you perceived them to be like beforehand. Everyone starts somewhere. Perhaps we shouldn't have bothered with Kitson, Doyle, Shorey, Murty, Convey etc etc etc....?
If it is decided a player has potential that's all that matters. If we only ever went on previous form we'd only ever be signing the Keowns and Ferdinands of the world.

This is political correctness gone too far!
Before joining Chelsea, Didier Drogba played for... Olympique Marseille. Top team. Kept banging in hattricks in the champions league, getting rave reviews. Scoring 30-something goals in all competitions. Simply put, he was the best player in the league by a long shot. I had heard of him before he joined Chelsea, saw him on the champions league tv broadcasts now and then and thought "wow, that guy is a smashing player, he's going to be great"...

Before joining Reading, Emerse Fae (who t f is that??) played for.. Nantes.. (Who??? Are they the Brighton of France?? Who t f are they??).. I don't know, guess they've got a team, not that I ever heard of them much before. According to wikipedia he had scored eight goals for them. Had to check to be sure.

If you can't understand there is an ENORMOUS difference in the two players ability then that is just shocking.
Emerse Fae isn't good enough to play for our reserves, while Drogba on the other hand is probably among the five best strikers in the world. That just says it all.
If you think this has anything to do with "equal opportunity" then you are going down the wrong path.

I don't even know why we are debating this, I rate Oster above Fae, and that says a lot because I happen to think Oster isn't good enough to play in this division.

The point in question is quite simple: Drogba was rubbish. He came good. Fae so far is rubbish. He may come good. Surely what one may or may not have achieved in the past is less relevant. If it meant *that* much then Drogba wouldn't have been rubbish. But he was, and that's all that matters. If you're currently rubbish you're rubbish. The only difference seems to be you're willing to give someone who's played well in a past life a chance, but not someone who you happen to personally have not known to be good (regardless of whether or not months of scouts/analysis consider him to have been good). That is not judging them (based on current ability/form), it's pre-judging them. Hence it's prejudice. If that same prejudice was applied across the board, managers would only sign massive players. And us fans would only demand we sign massive players. Oh hang on, most of us do :wink: Glad that ddin't apply to most of our squad then! The Drogba point (whoever made it) is a simple point: people can be rubbish but come good, with time. Just making interesting convo, I'm not comparing the two or saying Fae will come good. Who knows.

Cookie

by Cookie » 27 Jan 2008 18:09

Does anyone know how he's shaping up in Ghana?
Has he been playing for 90 minutes?

I've just researched my own questions. :oops:
He was an unused sub in the games against Benin and Nigeria. Their last game is against Mali. Interestingly a draw will guarantee that both teams progress at the expense of Nigeria. :wink:

So even if you're watching the games you won't have seen Fae.
Last edited by Cookie on 27 Jan 2008 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

170 posts