Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: So fed up

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jan 2008 11:00

Vision
shadesrwrf Yes, we need to step up to the next level. Some people seem to think in order to step up we only need to spend a few extra quid here and there. I'm not so sure about that. I think the reality is to take that step will cost us a considerable amount more. It'll mean a wholesale restructuring of wages and a significant increase in transfer fees paid. Yes the club's got a bit of extra money floating around at the moment. Is it enough to fund the next part of the campaign? I don't know and actually doubt it very much. But I'll bet the real cost is a lot more than many think.

I do subscribe to the "look how far we've come" school of thought. I subscribe to it because it's true. However, whilst I don't want this to be a short vacation I do want to be sure the club I love exists for years to come. Madejski, Hammond, Coppell et al got us where we are. At this moment in time I have no reason to believe that anybody else would be able to do better whilst ensuring the future of the club is secure.

Good post.

We are of course gradually increasing the wage bill by our ethos of improving the contracts of those that have done the business for us rather than paying straight into the hands of some mercenary who may or may not actually contribute anything. This in time will mean that our wage structure does rise in time to the level where bringing in better quality players doesn't have such an immediate impact on the wage structure.

Rather than harping on about transfers being the sign of whether we've resigned ourselves to relegation as some on here are suggesting ( f*ck me Fulham have bought a whole team with 2 seperate managers in the last 6 months and are 2nd bottom ) I think Coppell needs to make more use of the resourses that are available to him. I've said it before but as brilliant a manager as he is, if he isn't going take financial risks in the transfer market then he has to start taking the odd risk with those players already here. Our cup performances have shown that some of our fringe players do have the capability to perform at this level and they really should be utilised more than they are. The same could be said for the younger players. If we're not going to invest heavily in transfers then he has to take a risk or 2 with these guys otherwise the replacement of the 3 or 4 players who are reaching the end of their shelf life with us won't be as seamless as he would like.

Agreed again.

I'd feel a lot more optimistic if we coupled our current strategy of keeping our current top performers happy with a more effective and probably aggressive transfer policy which saw us successfully strengthening our starting eleven a bit more than we are right now.

Totally agree about using our curreny resources better though....but maybe they're just not up to it.

royal tee

by royal tee » 31 Jan 2008 11:14

West Stand Flash Realists - We are completely awful & strong favourites to go down

More shite from the master of spouting shite

Betfair Relegation Odds -

Derby 1.02
Fulham 1.53
Birmingham 2.98
Wigan 3.1
Bolton 4.2
Sunderland 4.3
Reading 6.8

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

At last, it is nearly over

by londinium » 31 Jan 2008 11:15

Ok, about 13 hours to go and the transfer window closes and there is nothing more that can be done until the summer so please please please....

.... can people stop going on about our transfer policy, the people we should have brought, the people we should have got rid of and ultimately how useless our signings have been without even seeing them play.

Three and a half months left of the season and no more dealing can be done so lets just get on with what we have got and see where it leaves us.

If we stay up then yes start the speculation as to what we should be doing in the summer. If we go down then slag Coppell et al off to your hearts content, but for now lets just back what we have and look at it again in May!!

We kept both Lita and Shorey which in my eyes cant be a bad thing.
Last edited by londinium on 31 Jan 2008 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: At last, it is nearly over

by West Stand Flash » 31 Jan 2008 11:16

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 31 Jan 2008 11:18

West Stand Flash http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1229891,00.html

And your point is?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 31 Jan 2008 11:19

'Thank God it's nearly over, it's an artificial creation anyway'

Steve you may think that, you may hate it but that's what it is. That's the ruling and that's how it's going to be so ffs deal with it!!

What a great message that sends out little over two months ago we were told that money would be spent and a few players would be brought in.

Ahh well, we've made our decision, time will tell if it's the right one but if Reading go down in many ways it will be deserved sadly.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 31 Jan 2008 11:19

I'm hoping we get a late bid for West Stand Flash. We can't put up with him until the end of the season surely.

I'm sure another clubs discussion forum is missing someone of his calibre. I'm sure if a sufficient bid comes in we won't stand in his way.

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 31 Jan 2008 11:20

I still don't think we are going to go down but i am unhappy that we are in a position where we are in a relegation struggle. I thought that after last years performance in the league i thought we would have brought in some quality and improve us so we could secure our premiership status. So far we have not managed to sign one player who has broke into our team reguarly and we are still playing the likes of oster who i thought would of been long gone. Although i do think cisse and matejovsky are looking good.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 31 Jan 2008 11:20

Wycombe Royal I'm hoping we get a late bid for West Stand Flash. We can't put up with him until the end of the season surely.

I'm sure another clubs discussion forum is missing someone of his calibre. I'm sure if a sufficient bid comes in we won't stand in his way.

:lol: swap him for Halford?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2008 11:20

Yay, and another thread that started trying to have a positive slant is turned on it's head within seconds.

Well done all, well done.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 31 Jan 2008 11:20

Wycombe Royal I'm hoping we get a late bid for West Stand Flash. We can't put up with him until the end of the season surely.

YAWN

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 31 Jan 2008 11:23

Stranded Yay, and another thread that started trying to have a positive slant is turned on it's head within seconds.

This transfer window has been very dificult to be positive about in all honesty.

He's made his decision, and come the end of the season we'll find out if it was the right one. If it turns out not to be then questions and a shit load of criticism will rightly go their way.

Agreed on the point that now we just have to forget about it and do our best to support the team.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 31 Jan 2008 11:25

Alan Partridge

:lol: swap him for Halford?

He is actually so negative that I would gladly swap him for Tredder or Sir Dodger!!!!!!!!

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 31 Jan 2008 11:26

I don't think it's a case of nearly over - it is over; nowt's going to be happening today.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 31 Jan 2008 11:26

I'm delighted that we have signed no one (of any note), are playing truly awful & look like getting relegated. Couldn't be happier.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 31 Jan 2008 11:31

Alan Partridge
Stranded Yay, and another thread that started trying to have a positive slant is turned on it's head within seconds.

This transfer window has been very dificult to be positive about in all honesty.

He's made his decision, and come the end of the season we'll find out if it was the right one. If it turns out not to be then questions and a shit load of criticism will rightly go their way.

Agreed on the point that now we just have to forget about it and do our best to support the team.

I think the decision to sign a technically gifted playmaker is a positive one. We havent had that type player under Coppell - it shows an attacking mind set.

We'll beat bolton on Saturday and everything will look rosy! :wink:

79Royal

by 79Royal » 31 Jan 2008 11:36

londinium Ok, about 13 hours to go and the transfer window closes and there is nothing more that can be done until the summer so please please please....

.... can people stop going on about our transfer policy, the people we should have brought, the people we should have got rid of and ultimately how useless our signings have been without even seeing them play.

Three and a half months left of the season and no more dealing can be done so lets just get on with what we have got and see where it leaves us.

If we stay up then yes start the speculation as to what we should be doing in the summer. If we go down then slag Coppell et al off to your hearts content, but for now lets just back what we have and look at it again in May!!

We kept both Lita and Shorey which in my eyes cant be a bad thing.

Agreed.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Jan 2008 11:38

londinium .... can people stop going on about our transfer policy, the people we should have brought, the people we should have got rid of and ultimately how useless our signings have been without even seeing them play.

Yeah, because we wouldn't want discussion to break out on this here discussion forum now would we? Sadly, as results, performances and league position continue to dip, folk will want to discuss why this is the case and transfer policy will be at the forefront of most people's thoughts.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 31 Jan 2008 11:41

West Stand Flash I'm delighted that we have signed no one (of any note), are playing truly awful & look like getting relegated. Couldn't be happier.

What did you expect? Signing of Drogba, John Terry, Stewart Downing......

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 31 Jan 2008 11:45

MartinRdg
West Stand Flash I'm delighted that we have signed no one (of any note), are playing truly awful & look like getting relegated. Couldn't be happier.

What did you expect? Signing of Drogba, John Terry, Stewart Downing......

Nope - I am delighted with Matejovsky & Kebe.

470 posts