JM is confident we'll stay up

112 posts
East Stand Royal 500

JM is confident we'll stay up

by East Stand Royal 500 » 07 Feb 2008 15:09

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 11,00.html

Does this mean he has offered the players extra bonuses if we stay up or will he dock their pay if we don't? Financial incentives are more powerful than appeals to character and spirit!

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: JM is confident we'll stay up

by West Stand Flash » 07 Feb 2008 15:10

F*ck off Madejski you tight ****.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Feb 2008 15:12

are you steve coppell posting under a pseudonym WSF?

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 07 Feb 2008 15:14

I fully expected him to come out and say he thought we would get relegated.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 07 Feb 2008 15:17

With all due respect to the man, what does he know about it?

Howser17

by Howser17 » 07 Feb 2008 15:18

I reckon we should threaten him! Madejski, if we get relegated - you have to get your hair cut! number 1 all over maybe??

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 07 Feb 2008 15:23

Old Biscuitman With all due respect to the man, what does he know about it?

Probably quite a lot. Relegation would hit his public profile and prospects of an advantageous sale of the club quite hard but mere encouraging words won't ensure our survival.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Feb 2008 15:24

Previous posts:-
:roll:
(well most of them anyway.................)

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 07 Feb 2008 15:26

East Stand Royal 500

Probably quite a lot. Relegation would hit his public profile and prospects of an advantageous sale of the club quite hard but mere encouraging words won't ensure our survival.

You're right that words won't help, but more unfortunately he can't even help by putting his hand in his pocket now.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 07 Feb 2008 15:27

ALOL at the bit where he urges the fans to create a seige mentality.

The stewards are the only ones doing this.

Mind you if his lot in the West Stand made an attempt to get behind the team more often it would help.

Howser17

by Howser17 » 07 Feb 2008 15:30

Old Biscuitman
East Stand Royal 500

You're right that words won't help, but more unfortunately he can't even help by putting his hand in his pocket now.

You're right OB. Jm is a business man, and quite succesful at that. However, it is now out of his hands, all he can do is sit back and watch.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 07 Feb 2008 15:38

I guess what I'm really saying is that it is time to drop the "We're a small club and can't afford the wages other teams pay". Either we pay the going rate to existing as well as new players or we get out of the PL.

We have quite a big squad but we can afford that because we pay below the norm. If we weeded out some of those who are not contributing very much there would be more to pay the better value players. The TV money is also there to help the normal wage bill as well as for spending on new players. JM is nothing if not an astute businessman. I'm not a fan of big wages for prima donnas but ultimately it's market forces that set wage rates and it's time to react to the market.

Get the fundamental structure sorted out and good players will want to come to what will no longer be known as "Li'l ol' Reading".

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 07 Feb 2008 15:43

Old Biscuitman
East Stand Royal 500

I accept that he can't bring in any new talent but he can still do quite a lot to ginger up (bad choice of words because DK is probably one of the most committed members) what is already there with some sizeable carrots.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 07 Feb 2008 15:44

Old Biscuitman
East Stand Royal 500

Well he could offer bonuses as the club has done on occasions in the past. However I am sure he would have mentioned it if he had any intention of putting his hand in his pocket. In fact it looks to me to be a statement designed to head off any expectation of money being involved in a similar fashion to his saying quickly after promotion to the Prem that he was not prepared to invest more and was looking to sell.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Feb 2008 15:50

Isn't there something stopping clubs from offering bonuses "outside" of the regular contracts of players? I though it was in place to stop the mega rich club owners from using money to incentivise their players during tight title races and relegation fights.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 07 Feb 2008 15:50

You pays your money and you takes your chance or you hang on to it and suffer the consequences.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 07 Feb 2008 16:08

Skin ALOL at the bit where he urges the fans to create a seige mentality.

Mind you if his lot in the West Stand made an attempt to get behind the team more often it would help.

Come and sit in the West Upper some time and here what actually does go on there. it may not be quite the same as the NE corner but it does its bit.

ps, I note that last weekend the first area of the stadium to be almost entirley vacated was the E stand around the Y23 -26 half. So much for the strength of support in that area then!! :oops:

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 07 Feb 2008 16:12

Wycombe Royal Isn't there something stopping clubs from offering bonuses "outside" of the regular contracts of players? I though it was in place to stop the mega rich club owners from using money to incentivise their players during tight title races and relegation fights.

As I understand it they already have win bonus arrangements in the contracts so all that is needed is to increase the rate.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Feb 2008 16:15

West Stand Man
Skin ALOL at the bit where he urges the fans to create a seige mentality.

Come and sit in the West Upper some time and here what actually does go on there. it may not be quite the same as the NE corner but it does its bit.

ps, I note that last weekend the first area of the stadium to be almost entirley vacated was the E stand around the Y23 -26 half. So much for the strength of support in that area then!! :oops:

good point about the ES,i noticed that too

theres plenty of people having a go if someone stands for a millisecond, or swears in the north stand too
honsestly, if that kind of thing upsets you, either dont come to football matches, or sit in the family stand, thats why its there

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 07 Feb 2008 16:21

Wycombe Royal Isn't there something stopping clubs from offering bonuses "outside" of the regular contracts of players? I though it was in place to stop the mega rich club owners from using money to incentivise their players during tight title races and relegation fights.

There are ways round that, like the practice among Welsh rugby clubs in the pre-professional days of a tenner in the player's boot on each match day - well, make that a grand or two for today's underpaid footballers. :wink:

112 posts