Coppell has faith Oster can beat the boo boys.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Coppell has faith Oster can beat the boo boys.

by SteveRoyal » 18 Mar 2008 22:02

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... f_the_boos

Made me think, maybe we're not seeing what Coppell sees in training?
Lets hope Oster dramatically improves, otherwise Boo Boys won't be disappearing any time soon!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Coppell has faith Oster can beat the boo boys.

by RoyalBlue » 18 Mar 2008 22:18

I think this but really sums it up:

“John does take risks and if it doesn’t work he has a tendency to look bad, but he’s a good player and I have a lot of time for him."

I'd rather see players take risks that occasionally don't pay off than hide in their shells. Players who take risks also create opportunities that we desparately need if we are to stay up. Oster took a risk when he played the freekick across to Marek on Saturday. It paid off and we got a goal but I'm sure the boo boys would have gone for him even more had it not worked.

I hope he continues to take risks and proves the boo boys wrong. IMO he is a good player.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 18 Mar 2008 22:22

RoyalBlue I think this but really sums it up:

“John does take risks and if it doesn’t work he has a tendency to look bad, but he’s a good player and I have a lot of time for him."

I'd rather see players take risks that occasionally don't pay off than hide in their shells. Players who take risks also create opportunities that we desparately need if we are to stay up. Oster took a risk when he played the freekick across to Marek on Saturday. It paid off and we got a goal but I'm sure the boo boys would have gone for him even more had it not worked.

I hope he continues to take risks and proves the boo boys wrong. IMO he is a good player.

At last someone has had the balls to say they think Oster is a good player.. I am in total agreement and am sure we will be laughed at and ridiculed by most on here.

Then again I had the piss ripped out of me when I dared to say Hunt was a decent player and should be in the team infront of Convey.

Again, I would much prefer Oster to Convey whether people think I am mad or not.

bikey_is_god!

by bikey_is_god! » 18 Mar 2008 22:28

johnnys talented as is obvious from his cv he just a bit of a muppet (like passing whena yard away or shooting from thirty)
look up "john oster airgun" on google and it all becomes clear

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 18 Mar 2008 22:37

londinium

At last someone has had the balls to say they think Oster is a good player.. I am in total agreement and am sure we will be laughed at and ridiculed by most on here.

Then again I had the piss ripped out of me when I dared to say Hunt was a decent player and should be in the team infront of Convey.

Again, I would much prefer Oster to Convey whether people think I am mad or not.

Oster has the most ball skills of any of our wingers (I include GL in that). However, Hunt,GL, Convey and even Kebe from what little I've seen of him have more of brain than Oster. Taking risks in the opponents half is fine (a la Marek) Oster needs to stop doing it in our half and around our own box!! A good player is not always a useful one!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Mar 2008 22:45

If he has as much success beating the boo boys as he does beating opposing full backs, he'll be gone in the summer.

Doing it on the training ground is fine, trouble is, it doesn't win us any points. Under pressure in a game is where it matters. The impOSTER can't deliver when it matters.

Shape up or ship out matey.

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 18 Mar 2008 23:09

londinium

I'm in total agreement with both of you, and its poor that he has been getting this kind of reaction lately. IMO Oster offers a lot to the side but in a very different style to say Glen Little. At times he takes to much of a risk and plays a silly ball but I am sure if he gets a run in the side, which he has never had in two and a half years here, we will prove the boo boys wrong.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Mar 2008 23:22

He also states that Oster hasn't been performing and he expects better of him.

Why isn't he dropped then?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 18 Mar 2008 23:26

Royalee He also states that Oster hasn't been performing and he expects better of him.

Because there is noone to replace him with.

Apart from sending Glenn Little to Lourdes there is nothing anyone can do

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Mar 2008 23:46

The truth is that Oster is a very good understudy to Glen Little.

The truth is also that he's not consistent enough to be a long-term first choice starter, but nor is he meant to be.

Given that he doesn't appear to lack motivation, it'd be interesting to hear what those that boo him think they are achieving by doing so.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 19 Mar 2008 00:07

The whole year inn
Royalee He also states that Oster hasn't been performing and he expects better of him.

Because there is noone to replace him with.

Apart from sending Glenn Little to Lourdes there is nothing anyone can do

Quite.

We can't play anyone from the Academy or Reserves to give them som experience.
We can't play Convey or Kebe.
We can't play Doyle on the right and start with 2 from Kitson/Long/Lita up front
We can't sign anyone not currently registered with a team.
We can't play Rosenior wide right with Murty or De La Cruz or Bikey at RB

We simply don't have any other options. Looks like we're stuck with Jonny ImpOSTER doesn't it?

You simply couldn't make it up. You really couldn't.

See you there Saturday for the next instalment of the Jonny ImpOSTER show ladies and gentlemen!!!! Surely by the law of averages he's due a decent game??????

(Just don't hold your breath)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Mar 2008 00:14

I simply cannot believe some people are saying that they think Oster is a good player, he is naturally talented, but mentally slow and has a poor team ethic

The booing is unacceptable, but those who honestly believe that next year we will be OK with just Little and Oster are so so wrong

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 19 Mar 2008 00:51

strap impOSTER

Get a life. His name is 'Oster', and 'impOSTER' is hardly so profound you need to repeat it every two seconds.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Mar 2008 00:56

Gav
strap impOSTER

Get a life. His name is 'Oster', and 'impOSTER' is hardly so profound you need to repeat it every two seconds.

You are great at giving us stats. Strap, so just stick to what you are good at and leave off the insults.

We all are entitled to our opinions but, grow up, name calling is so childish it puts you on a par with the twat Thouvoice (lowest of the low).

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Mar 2008 01:44

silas
londinium

I'm in total agreement with both of you, and its poor that he has been getting this kind of reaction lately. IMO Oster offers a lot to the side but in a very different style to say Glen Little. At times he takes to much of a risk and plays a silly ball but I am sure if he gets a run in the side, which he has never had in two and a half years here, we will prove the boo boys wrong.

Oster has his faults but he's a much better player than the " We know fcuk all about football" boo boys are ever likely to give him credit for.

Let's face it, these are the same idiots who have given similar stick to Hunt and Seol whilst heroe worshiping Little and Convey.

Little deserves the acclaim but what has Convey ever done at this level to avoid similar stick from the East Stand W@nkers?

Both players have recently recovered from serious injuries and are better going forward than back. Convey pulls out of every 50/50 tackle; Oster pulls out of roughly half of them.

I'm so glad I sold my ticket for Anfield. I prefer the Upper West at home to the East home or away..............................if this is what passes for our hardcore support, God help us.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Mar 2008 07:09

It was good to hear the moronic boo boy element getting shouted down by fans at Anfield on Saturday.

OK he may not be the best right winger we've got or ever had but while he's in the team he should get 100% support in everything that he tries to do rather than a round of cretinous comment from people who don't possess a hundreth of the talent that Oster does. What they expect to achieve by it, other than upset the player and the rest of the team, is beyond me.

Here's to Johnny scoring the goal that keeps us up this year.

statto

by statto » 19 Mar 2008 07:21

We can't play anyone from the Academy or Reserves to give them som experience-

Sure, when you're battling relegation, throw in some kid who has never played before

We can't play Convey or Kebe. Convey played a number of games on the right, was totally ineffective, Kebe is unproven.

We can't play Doyle on the right and start with 2 from Kitson/Long/Lita up front

Tried it for a number of games, looked like we had a striker playing out of position

We can't sign anyone not currently registered with a team-
players ususally aren't at a club at this point in the season for a reason.
It's unlikely there is the new Ronaldo just kicking around withouit a club.

We can't play Rosenior wide right with Murty or De La Cruz or Bikey at RB.

We tried this, it was rubbish. Rosenior looks ten times the player playing in his proper position.

Please enlighten with more of your wonderful ideas to guarantee easy relegation.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 19 Mar 2008 08:07

we could try Henry, tho was not good enough to play at Norwich.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 19 Mar 2008 08:08

The problem now is, is that noone has faith in him so when he does something well it goes unrecognized. And i have deinately seen an improvement in the last 2 games i must admit. And as for Kebe i think he will become a good signing but still needs to get used to the english game.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Mar 2008 09:57

looks like the run of games is doing him good
a gradual improvement, and has done some really good things, and less bad things

likely to be totally undone by the knock to his confidence he took by being booed off by his own support at anfield

but what can you do-he isnt the best winger weve ever had, and people here alwaysd look for a scapegoat, weve been scratching around for one since seol left, and osters it apparently

i like the bloke, think he does try very hard, has a modicum of talent, hasnt exactly covered himself in glory here yet
but i really hope he scores at the weekend,

its time to get behind the team, all of them