Murty granted a testimonial

125 posts
biscuitsrus

Re: Murty granted a testimonial

by biscuitsrus » 31 Mar 2008 18:38

I certainly will be going to show my support for him and his charities.

He actually might get a game!!!

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 31 Mar 2008 18:54

Have heard this for a while aparently the game will be against Celtic but the police want a lot more money than a normal league game to police the game. Which for a testimonial i think is ridiculous whether this has been sorted now it has been announced i dont know

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Mar 2008 18:57

parky Have heard this for a while aparently the game will be against Celtic but the police want a lot more money than a normal league game to police the game. Which for a testimonial i think is ridiculous whether this has been sorted now it has been announced i dont know

That's the game that fell through because the policing costs were excessive.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 31 Mar 2008 19:02

I agree that Murty has earned a fair wage while he was/is playing for us, but in this day of mega-rich Prem footballers, he could have increased his wealth by moving on every couple of years. How much is Akinbiyi worth, for example.

He didn't and stayed with us. He is one of the reasons that we are where we are now. I will go to the testimonial regardless of who it's against and my entrance money will help charity as well as recompensing Murty for not lining his pockets with sign-on fees etc.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 31 Mar 2008 19:02

Dirk Gently
parky Have heard this for a while aparently the game will be against Celtic but the police want a lot more money than a normal league game to police the game. Which for a testimonial i think is ridiculous whether this has been sorted now it has been announced i dont know

That's the game that fell through because the policing costs were excessive.

Thank you

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 Mar 2008 19:25

Personally I dont think a Premiership player needs a testimonial. In the lower leagues fair enough.
Murts has been a great professional and we are all love his never say die attitude and loyalty to the club.....but he is very very well paid and although some of the money is going to charity it is the fans that will be paying.
Sorry but I am agin but dont doubt a fair few thousand will turn up.....we all can chose to go or not.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 31 Mar 2008 19:37

Make the game against an All-Star squad chosen from Football for Fatties and Mrs. B Fan's Team. Not only would it then sell out, but all of Hob Nob would turn out as well (which means about 100 actual people making up 1000 usernames). :lol:

Brig

by Brig » 31 Mar 2008 21:16

Firstly, everyone is entitled to an opinion: for what it is worth here is mine:

I believe Graeme Murty is a genuinely nice guy who has been a great ambassador for Reading Football Club.

He may or may not go on to have a great career in football and/or the media after he retires from playing. I am certain that if he does have a successful career after football that he will continue with his charitable works!

I am also certain that he, like most of us, wants to see his family’s future secured. I will therefore support him by going to his testimonial and trust that he does the right thing in the future should he become particularly wealthy.

Very few people begrudge the money earned by the likes of Sir Paul McCartney and his ilk, so why would I begrudge Graeme Murty a fraction of a multi millionaire’s wealth for providing me, as a Reading fan, with so many great moments, particularly over the last couple of seasons?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Mar 2008 21:18

Hampshire Royal I agree that Murty has earned a fair wage while he was/is playing for us, but in this day of mega-rich Prem footballers, he could have increased his wealth by moving on every couple of years. How much is Akinbiyi worth, for example.

He didn't and stayed with us. He is one of the reasons that we are where we are now. I will go to the testimonial regardless of who it's against and my entrance money will help charity as well as recompensing Murty for not lining his pockets with sign-on fees etc.

Agree with every word and I, too, am delighted Murts is getting this well deserved reward.

Isn't it odd how some fans trip over themselves in their haste to defend players like Sidwell, who displayed real greed in the manner that he left this club, yet begrudge another, who has given us 10 loyal years of service, one testimonial match on the grounds that he's a millionaire :roll:

I don't give a fcuk how much money our club captain has stashed away, I WANT to say a big thank you to him for all that he's done for us by making my small contribution to his retirement fund ................I'll be buying a ticket whether I'm on holiday or not.

Nice one, Mr Chairman.

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 31 Mar 2008 21:54

Here's the hobnob report on his friendly debut after signing and just before the injury. Anyone else go? Am I right in recalling that he was blisteringly pacy?

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/150798.html

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Mar 2008 23:08

I'd agree that premiership footballers don't need testimonials to make money and as such proceeds should largely go to charity, but that is when it comes down to it the players choice.

For me a testimonial is about getting a chance to have an event that is all about recognising the great and long service that a player shows to the fans and clubs.

A chance to wholeheartdly thank and praise the player for all they've done without having to worry about the result.

I ge the feeling JM may keep up his anti testimonial stance to ensure only the fan favourites get them. If for example Fed was here for 10 years I doubt he'd get one unless he played a big part in our first team because there wouldn't be a very large outcry if he was refused one.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Mar 2008 23:12

Tutti Frutti Here's the hobnob report on his friendly debut after signing and just before the injury. Anyone else go? Am I right in recalling that he was blisteringly pacy?

He was, yes, and also don't forget he was a winger. I remember when he played away at Luton (98/99?) he made some blistering runs before he was hacked down and went off injured for about 6 months.

When did he actually convert to being a full-back, and was that the work of Burns or Pardew?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 31 Mar 2008 23:55

Dirk Gently
Tutti Frutti Here's the hobnob report on his friendly debut after signing and just before the injury. Anyone else go? Am I right in recalling that he was blisteringly pacy?

He was, yes, and also don't forget he was a winger. I remember when he played away at Luton (98/99?) he made some blistering runs before he was hacked down and went off injured for about 6 months.

When did he actually convert to being a full-back, and was that the work of Burns or Pardew?

Remeber him playing RB at Bristol City in the 4-0 and he was hopeless. Definitely Pards work.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Apr 2008 01:40

Happy Murts has been given a testimonial. Well done me old mukka!

Shaka's Giant Hands

by Shaka's Giant Hands » 01 Apr 2008 07:13

Vision
Shaka's Giant Hands [quote="Vision
Which wouldn't include Murty as during the really bad times he was hiding in the treatment room while the rest of us had to put up with Andy Gurney. I'm not doubting his committment since or his influence (and im sure he's a very nice guy and all that) but unless all of the money to be raised is for charity I'd rather not line the pockets of a millionaire footballer.

I believe thats what i said and i don't need to be lectured by you or anyone else about "the bad times" thanks very much.

I'm so sorry that my 1 sentence lecture upset you so much. I meant no offence in that 1 sentence and for that can only apologise.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Apr 2008 09:42

Shaka's Giant Hands
Vision
Shaka's Giant Hands [quote="Vision
Which wouldn't include Murty as during the really bad times he was hiding in the treatment room while the rest of us had to put up with Andy Gurney. I'm not doubting his committment since or his influence (and im sure he's a very nice guy and all that) but unless all of the money to be raised is for charity I'd rather not line the pockets of a millionaire footballer.

I believe thats what i said and i don't need to be lectured by you or anyone else about "the bad times" thanks very much.

I'm so sorry that my 1 sentence lecture upset you so much. I meant no offence in that 1 sentence and for that can only apologise.

That quote facility is a bit complicated isn't it.?

FWIW ive absolutely no doubt that the RFC faithful will turn up for this in force which is of course their/your choice but surely even Woodcote Royal doesn't honestly believe that Murty would have stayed loyal to Reading if he could have even doubled his money elsewhere let alone quadruple it. He wouldn't and i wouldn't have expected him to either.

Shaka's Giant Hands

by Shaka's Giant Hands » 01 Apr 2008 10:22

Vision That quote facility is a bit complicated isn't it.?

FWIW ive absolutely no doubt that the RFC faithful will turn up for this in force which is of course their/your choice but surely even Woodcote Royal doesn't honestly believe that Murty would have stayed loyal to Reading if he could have even doubled his money elsewhere let alone quadruple it. He wouldn't and i wouldn't have expected him to either.

No, seems pretty simple.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Apr 2008 10:56

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Apr 2008 11:02

Thaumagurist*
Dirk Gently

Think it was Pardew who converted him to full-back. He didn't play many games under Burns. The away game at Luton you are thinking of is in 1998/9.

He certainly played as a right back for Burns because i remember at a fans forum he was criticised for buying a right winger and playing him at full back . Burn's reply was "who says i bought him to play as a right winger"

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Apr 2008 12:30

Woodcote Royal
Hampshire Royal I agree that Murty has earned a fair wage while he was/is playing for us, but in this day of mega-rich Prem footballers, he could have increased his wealth by moving on every couple of years. How much is Akinbiyi worth, for example.

Agree with every word and I, too, am delighted Murts is getting this well deserved reward.

Isn't it odd how some fans trip over themselves in their haste to defend players like Sidwell, who displayed real greed in the manner that he left this club, yet begrudge another, who has given us 10 loyal years of service, one testimonial match on the grounds that he's a millionaire :roll:

I don't give a fcuk how much money our club captain has stashed away, I WANT to say a big thank you to him for all that he's done for us by making my small contribution to his retirement fund ................I'll be buying a ticket whether I'm on holiday or not.

Nice one, Mr Chairman.

What a mug

125 posts