Re: Murty granted a testimonial

by Magicman » 01 Apr 2008 12:35

As Captain Jack Sparrow would say "Take what you can give nothing back"

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Apr 2008 13:03

loyalroyal4life Murty's brief premiership career is almost over and he's got hopefully another 50 years to live. Also, who can say what today's wages will really be worth in 20 years time? I don't begrudge him making all he can right now.

Also, if you read the OS, it says that part of the proceeds will be given to charity,[/quote]

For all we know that could be 2% 8) Dont think it really matters bottom line is he is deserving of a testimonial and it also probably signifies the end of him at right back in a reading shirt next season![/quote]A player makes alot of cash from joining a new club as they get a signing on fee. As Murty has been with us from Division 2 (when we looked like we were heading to Division 3!) his wages over the years must have been pretty low by todays Premiership standards, therefore he may be more deserving of a testimonial than someone who has been on Premiership wages most of their playing life.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Apr 2008 13:10

Huntley & Palmer
Woodcote Royal
Hampshire Royal I agree that Murty has earned a fair wage while he was/is playing for us, but in this day of mega-rich Prem footballers, he could have increased his wealth by moving on every couple of years. How much is Akinbiyi worth, for example.

He didn't and stayed with us. He is one of the reasons that we are where we are now. I will go to the testimonial regardless of who it's against and my entrance money will help charity as well as recompensing Murty for not lining his pockets with sign-on fees etc.

Agree with every word and I, too, am delighted Murts is getting this well deserved reward.

Isn't it odd how some fans trip over themselves in their haste to defend players like Sidwell, who displayed real greed in the manner that he left this club, yet begrudge another, who has given us 10 loyal years of service, one testimonial match on the grounds that he's a millionaire :roll:

I don't give a fcuk how much money our club captain has stashed away, I WANT to say a big thank you to him for all that he's done for us by making my small contribution to his retirement fund ................I'll be buying a ticket whether I'm on holiday or not.

Nice one, Mr Chairman.

What a mug

What an outstanding contribution to the thread.........................nice one, Mr Moderator.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 01 Apr 2008 14:53

Vision He certainly played as a right back for Burns because i remember at a fans forum he was criticised for buying a right winger and playing him at full back . Burn's reply was "who says i bought him to play as a right winger"

Hmmm. I'm sure I remember Burns describing his spine of his best team being Polston - Murty - Fleck, and bemoaning the fact that he could never play it because one or other of them was always injured.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Apr 2008 15:15

Deadlock
Vision He certainly played as a right back for Burns because i remember at a fans forum he was criticised for buying a right winger and playing him at full back . Burn's reply was "who says i bought him to play as a right winger"

Hmmm. I'm sure I remember Burns describing his spine of his best team being Polston - Murty - Fleck, and bemoaning the fact that he could never play it because one or other of them was always injured.

Which tells us all we need to know about Mr Burns.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Apr 2008 16:07

Forbury Lion A player makes alot of cash from joining a new club as they get a signing on fee. As Murty has been with us from Division 2 (when we looked like we were heading to Division 3!) his wages over the years must have been pretty low by todays Premiership standards, therefore he may be more deserving of a testimonial than someone who has been on Premiership wages most of their playing life.

I'm sure they also get a nice fee when they sign a new contract with their exisiting club too.

Through the early years I doubt there was anyone interested in buying the crippled version of Murty, and even over the last few seasons I doubt many clubs were actually after him and wanting to pay him more than he was on here.

Depsite that I'm glad Murty has been rewarded with a testimonial, as even though he won't need the money it'll be good for the fans to be able make a proper gesture of thanks for all his efforts and loyalty over the years.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Apr 2008 16:46

Woodcote Royal What an outstanding contribution to the thread.........................nice one, Mr Moderator.

About as decent a contribution as a poster who thinks that 'loylaty' to a club still exists in modern day football.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 01 Apr 2008 19:17

Hampshire Royal I agree that Murty has earned a fair wage while he was/is playing for us, but in this day of mega-rich Prem footballers, he could have increased his wealth by moving on every couple of years. How much is Akinbiyi worth, for example.

He didn't and stayed with us. He is one of the reasons that we are where we are now. I will go to the testimonial regardless of who it's against and my entrance money will help charity as well as recompensing Murty for not lining his pockets with sign-on fees etc.

Nobody denies Murts is a top bloke , but if the reason he never "moved on " was because nobody came in for him . Anybody naive enough to think todays modern footballers remain loyal to their clubs for the sake of the club are in cloud cuckoo land . If you want loyalty buy a dog . I don't deny a good friendly would be an ideal way for the fans to show their appreciation for Murts but if it's the end , then a lap of honour or hopefully a final appearence ( if we're safe from the dreaded drop ) against Spurs would be much better IMHO . If he does have a testimonial and gives all the money to charity he will enhamce his status as a legend and be remebered for ever more . Trouble is he's such a nice bloke .

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Apr 2008 19:21

Woodcote Royal

Agree with every word and I, too, am delighted Murts is getting this well deserved reward.

Isn't it odd how some fans trip over themselves in their haste to defend players like Sidwell, who displayed real greed in the manner that he left this club, yet begrudge another, who has given us 10 loyal years of service, one testimonial match on the grounds that he's a millionaire :roll:

I don't give a fcuk how much money our club captain has stashed away, I WANT to say a big thank you to him for all that he's done for us by making my small contribution to his retirement fund ................I'll be buying a ticket whether I'm on holiday or not.

Nice one, Mr Chairman.

You have to use the word "begrudge" dont you Woodcote. Those of us against are not trying to "begrudge" Murty anything. Testimonials are IMO outdated for todays top flight footballers. Yes Murts has been loyal but so have the club to him standing by him in his early days at the club when he was injury plagued and by offering him a three year contract last year.Indeed I was under the impression the three year deal was a sweetener to Murts as he was not going to get a testimonial. He is very well paid for his loyalty.The days of testimonials should in my view be eradicated at this level and are more relevant in the lower leagues where players are not so financially secure.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 02 Apr 2008 15:45

Tradition has always demanded that poorly paid footballers use their miserly testimonial funds to purchase a newsagents. I look forward to purchasing my Guardian from Graeme Murty-Patel in the near future.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Apr 2008 15:49

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

Give it to Hetzke

by Give it to Hetzke » 03 Apr 2008 09:39

Please be assured that the charity contribution that Murts is giving is considerable.

I am aware of one of the charities he is supporting and the donation he is making toward the fund raising for this charity is more than generous.

Please support this great ambassador to the club and also a very genuine human being.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Apr 2008 12:18

If we end up playing Celtic, then I'm not bothering. Can't be arsed with our ground being filled with more plastic paddies than is normal at a rugby game

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Apr 2008 12:23

Give it to Hetzke Please be assured that the charity contribution that Murts is giving is considerable.

I am aware of one of the charities he is supporting and the donation he is making toward the fund raising for this charity is more than generous.

Please support this great ambassador to the club and also a very genuine human being.

him and harps are the two most down to earth, nice bloke footballers ive ever had the pleasure to shake hands with

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 03 Apr 2008 12:45

Huntley & Palmer If we end up playing Celtic, then I'm not bothering.

Not going to happen - as has already been stated, the police costs are far too high.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Apr 2008 01:12

Huntley & Palmer
Woodcote Royal What an outstanding contribution to the thread.........................nice one, Mr Moderator.

About as decent a contribution as a poster who thinks that 'loylaty' to a club still exists in modern day football.

I'm guessing that the difference between loyalty and length of service is far too subtle for you to appreciate.

The latter is fast becoming a rare commodity in the modern game and some of us think it is worth rewarding.

When the day arrives, I'll be joining the rest of the like minded "mugs" whereas you're moderating skills will clearly benefit from a quite night in front of the PC.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 04 Apr 2008 09:30

Please Woodcote, tell me the subtle differences, I would love to hear them.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 04 Apr 2008 17:09

apparently we have knocked back celtic as the opposition due to the high cost of policing

Skipper Graeme Murty is looking at foreign opposition for his Reading testimonial after police pulled the plug on a clash with Celtic.

The 32-year-old had earmarked the Glasgow giants as potential summer opponents to celebrate his 10 years at the Berkshire outfit. However the bill for policing the encounter at the Madejski Stadium was £91,000 - three times more than Glasgow police charge for Old Firm games with Rangers.

Murty agreed to foot the bill, but Thames Valley Police have refused to agree to police the meeting between the two sides.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police told the Evening Post: "As this game is a friendly pre-season fixture, we have asked that it does not have any impact on operational policing.

"It is scheduled to take place at a time where there is already a huge demand placed on the service, coming shortly after Royal Ascot and the Henley Regatta, at the same time as the Glade Festival and a few weeks before the start of the new football season and the Reading Festival.

"We feel that with a friendly match of this nature there should be no need for a police presence."

Murty is now scouring the globe for a new possible opponent, although he would once have targeted a top Premier League side.

He said: "I am looking at foreign opposition. When I first came to the club I would have loved to have got a Premier League team like Manchester United or Liverpool - as a fan, Liverpool would have been perfect.

"But hopefully we are going to be playing teams like that week-in, week-out for quite a while, so it will be nice to have a different game for the fans."

total_biscuit

by total_biscuit » 04 Apr 2008 17:44

Can someone help ...

weybridgewanderer ... "the bill for policing the encounter at the Madejski Stadium was £91,000 - three times more than Glasgow police charge for Old Firm games with Rangers.

"We feel that with a friendly match of this nature there should be no need for a police presence."

I'm still trying to reconcile these two sentences in the statement. On one hand, they want to charge 3 times the cost of a Celtic/Rangers game (so TVP are a party to attempted extortion - allegedly) and then they say that you don't need any police for this type of game. If that's the case then, it's £91K saved ! The rest of the (unquoted) statement implies that they can't be ar*ed to turn out for the event.

TB

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Apr 2008 20:56

Huntley & Palmer Please Woodcote, tell me the subtle differences, I would love to hear them.

Murtys length of service is not wholly dependant on loyalty (he might have walked had he got the right offer) but his 10 years at RFC are still worthy of merit regardless.

125 posts