who voted for stephen hunt?

135 posts
Apocalypse Now
Location: " Has anyone here at this reading home game, got a season ticket"- Pa Dickhead

Re: Player of the year award sums up....

by Apocalypse Now » 04 May 2008 15:45

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Apocalypse Now Coppell's biggest error was not selling Hunt in January for big money. He's done nothing in the second half of the season and is now worth about £1m.
Yep, because we all knew he'd be awful in the second half of the season.

Given that we typically play a game with two wingers, and such a move would have left us with no fit wingers at all, some might suggest it wouldn't have been viewed as a wise move at the time.

Anyone with a brain and had watched Hunt over the last few years knew he was playing well above himself. Even then he was standing out due to work ethic, rather than quality of his performances. To keep hold of the most overrated player in the Premiership when Sunderland were offering stupid money is mind boggling and a sackable offence.

The overrated Hunt is now on huge money and no one else will pay those wages or offer a decent amount for him. We'll be stuck with him for the next 3 or 4 years.

Player of the season? Coppell's mistake of the season more like.

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: who voted for stephen hunt?

by Volvicanus » 04 May 2008 16:09

Alan Partridge
Volvicanus Hunty has won because he consistently seems to be the only one that gives a shit. Running around like he's the energizer bunny.... half of the time it gets him nowhere but damn - it's nice to see someone trying.

Whereas that Hahnemann is a right lazy twat, I've hardly ever seen him leave that big area around the goal.

I didn't say that I agreed - I'm just telling you why he won.

zummerset

by zummerset » 04 May 2008 16:13

crossie
kwik-silva
crossie I wondered if maybe they got it backwards. Marcus first, then Harps, then Hunt.

I understand you don't like hunt.. but to like harps over him?

Actually i do like Hunt. I voted for Harper. Scored a couple of important goals this season and, up until the recent matches, he run his nuts off for 90 minutes. Always back to defend, always forward to attack.

Yeah he was great yesterday, ripped spurs to pieces and those tackles were awesome. Harper a legend - I don't think so.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 04 May 2008 16:19

So have you always hated Harper? Or is it just because he's had a couple of bad games? No, you're right, he's been absolutely awful for us for the past 7 years :roll:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 04 May 2008 16:21

I voted for 'number 13 Reading fans everywhere'

''BOOM BOOM BLARMY BOOM BOOM BLARMY'

LOL @ Reading

Hob Nob Regular

Re: Player of the year award sums up....

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 May 2008 17:36

Apocalypse Now
Apocalypse Now Coppell's biggest error was not selling Hunt in January for big money. He's done nothing in the second half of the season and is now worth about £1m.
Yep, because we all knew he'd be awful in the second half of the season.

Given that we typically play a game with two wingers, and such a move would have left us with no fit wingers at all, some might suggest it wouldn't have been viewed as a wise move at the time.

Anyone with a brain and had watched Hunt over the last few years knew he was playing well above himself. Even then he was standing out due to work ethic, rather than quality of his performances. To keep hold of the most overrated player in the Premiership when Sunderland were offering stupid money is mind boggling and a sackable offence.

The overrated Hunt is now on huge money and no one else will pay those wages or offer a decent amount for him. We'll be stuck with him for the next 3 or 4 years.

Player of the season? Coppell's mistake of the season more like.

Hunt did very well last season. He'd played pretty well this season too up to then, particularly given how much presure there was on him to create given that we had nobody on the right. While I don't think anyone here thought he was worth £6 million, nobody at all was predicting his slump, and nobody was saying we should have sold him at the time, particularly as we had nobody else to play left wing.

the bid was also too late in the transfer window to have allowed us time to sign a replacement.

Had he gone we'd have been left with an even weaker squad, weakened by the loss of a player who at the time was the leading candidate for player of the year, and we'd certainly have been relegated long before now. I don't think anyone would have been saying what a great bit of business it was.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 04 May 2008 17:36

How in the name of all that is holy did Hunty win it???

Did Robert Mugabe organise the vote?

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 04 May 2008 17:39

No otherwise Bikey/Duberry/Sonko/Cisse/Lita/Rosenior would've won it.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 May 2008 17:40

Royal Rother It should certainly have been Marcus. I know the old short-memory syndrome can be a factor and Hunt was excellent in the 1st part of the season, and I suppose Harper was okay some of the time, but for them to be voted ahead of our very consistent 'keeper is a bit of a travesty.

Actually it's not a travesty is it because nobody told people how to vote - but it did surprise / disappoint me.

I agree. At the start of this year Hunt was probably our best player at that stage. He has badly lost his way since then whereas Marcus has consistently played well and without him and the woodwork some of the scorelines would have been embarrassing.
There has been a dreadful drop in form from most of the players...Marcus has been one of the very few to improve as the season has gone on.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 04 May 2008 18:16

I think the obvious winner was Kitson, but maybe he didnt play enough games to get the reward. Though Marcus has been good recently he has also been seriously low standard at other times. I think yesterday we saw why HArper was in the top three as he had to play three positions as our defence did its walkabouts. The reason you dont see much of Harper sometimes is because he's at left back for some reason. Still wouldnt have voted for him, though.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 04 May 2008 18:22

sawyers left arm Should have been Bikey

I voted Bikey. He was the only Reading player that made headlines on the world stage this season.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 05 May 2008 11:16

Some good news.........

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -20406204/

Sunderland set for Stephen Hunt swoop 5/05/2008

Sunderland boss Roy Keane will make a £5million swoop for Stephen Hunt if Reading are relegated.
Keano had three bids for the Republic of Ireland winger, 27, rejected in the January transfer window.
Hunt will want away from the Royals if they go down, despite recently signing a £25,000-a-week deal as the club's top earner.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Voting Steven Hunt as our POTY was clearly a cunning plan to convince Roy Keane that he is worth £5M. I wish I'd thought of that!

patroyal

by patroyal » 05 May 2008 11:27

roy keane isn't that stupid - don't believe everything you read in papers
Far Canal Some good news.........

Sunderland boss Roy Keane will make a £5million swoop for Stephen Hunt if Reading are relegated.
Keano had three bids for the Republic of Ireland winger, 27, rejected in the January transfer window.
Hunt will want away from the Royals if they go down, despite recently signing a £25,000-a-week deal as the club's top earner.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Voting Steven Hunt as our POTY was clearly a cunning plan to convince Roy Keane that he is worth £5M. I wish I'd thought of that!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 May 2008 11:37

Far Canal Some good news.........

As amazing as that would be, I don't think it'll happen.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 May 2008 11:42

Hunt's been our most high profile player.

Kitson, if he'd kept scoring after his drink-drive stuff, would have walked it.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 May 2008 11:46

papereyes Hunt's been our most high profile player.

Kitson, if he'd kept scoring after his drink-drive stuff, would have walked it.

Quite right, although even after that I still think he's contributed more than Hunt this season as a whole.

chandog

by chandog » 05 May 2008 12:02

weybridgewanderer
Readingfanman I didn't. Apologies to all the Reading fans who wanted a proper POTS, I'm sorry to inform you, there hasn't been one.

marcus?

yet again kept us in the game today

i voted for USA
Shows how bad we have been this season.
Let in almost as many as derby and the keeper is still considered for POTS

chandog

by chandog » 05 May 2008 12:04

brighton_royal

I voted Bikey. He was the only Reading player that made headlines on the world stage this season.

What for headbutting a medic?
Doesnt make him our POTS
Alothough he has been one of the only good performers this season

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2008 13:20

chandog
brighton_royal

What for headbutting a medic?
Doesnt make him our POTS
Alothough he has been one of the only good performers this season

Wasn't a medic as far as I could tell. It was a steward interfering with a physio. Which should make him a hero to most of Y25 & 26. Grrrr evil stewards.

also he didn't head but him. he shoved him. One is designed to cause physical damage and harm, the other is designed to move someone without doing damage.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 May 2008 14:08

Half Horse How on earth did Marcus not win? Over the entire season he's been the only consistent component of the team.
Do you mean his goalkicks have consistently gone out into touch?

If it was player of the moment then Marcus would win it, no doubt.

I didn't vote this year, I was tempted to vote Bikey on the basis that when he has played he's mostly been okay.

135 posts