The "Championship won't be all that bad" thread

244 posts
Big Dan

Re: The "Championship won't be all that bad" thread

by Big Dan » 05 May 2008 18:05

i just want to be in the same division as colin.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 May 2008 18:21

In the Championship can still aspire to get into the Prem, even if it' s not at the first attempt. In the prem you're just there to be a whipping boy and have all the cash sucked out of you.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 May 2008 18:24

Royal Lady We'll see what everyone thinks of the Championship this time next year, when we're still in it. :roll:

That really wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it meant that a number of academy players had gained decent first team experience and we were building another team capable of achieving great things.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 05 May 2008 21:20

We are saddled with a host of players on very good wages who will be going nowhere. So those academy players will have to hope that Bournemouth or Swindon come in for them to give them a taste of first team action.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 May 2008 21:31

Relegation will be good for me as less premiership tourist will be turning up at games 5 minutes , disapearing for a hotdog during the game and leaving 10 minutes before the final whistle.

Bring back division 2 when we could lay down on 6 seats in a row and walk round the stands at half time.

Hoops1871
Location: Enfield, waiting for bullet train link direct to Mad Stad

by Hoops1871 » 06 May 2008 00:15

If we go down it will be a great shame, given the hard work and the achievements of a) getting to the Prem b) staying up in the first season against the odds, against most people's expectations and in style and c)given the potential to grow which (a) and (b) seemed to have given us at the end of last season. Especially regretful given the way all that seems to have been thrown away this season when it could have been avoidable and that, if we struggle to go back up, will leave me wondering what might have been.

Going down in the manner that we are at the moment would justify any opinion of fans of bigger clubs (or who perceive their club as 'bigger') that 'little ol' Reading' doesn't deserve to play with the big boys. And that p*sses me off, even more so because it looks true. It leaves me embarrassed by the RFC PR over the last two years telling the world that we had ambitions to establish a Premiership club.

However, until it turned sour in 2008 it was a great adventure which, even when we spent a few seasons hovering around or in the CCC playoff spots, I would never let myself seriously imagine would happen. If we go down it will be the end of an era - which will be sad - but the start of a new one - which will be exciting. I particularly look forward to there being at least a few games in the CCC where we walk all over the opposition, reliving the confident, exciting, stylish, unstoppable football we displayed in 2005-6 and at times last season and which fans have been starved off this season.

The fans will also be approaching the CCC with a new perspective. For me there will always be the aim of getting into the top division but the Prem will not seem like the Holy Grail anymore and I won't be in such awe/apprehension of meeting the ManU's, Chelsea's and Liverpool's of the world - been there, done that and actually got some points out of it along the way.

Magic_Shovel

by Magic_Shovel » 06 May 2008 08:56

Avon Royal Quite looking forward to:

-Cheaper season ticket
-Cheaper away days
-Winning away
-Meeting up with old rivals again (although it will be strange with no Stoke)
-Having fun again
-An away game I can cycle to
-Fewer hangers-on

Roll on August the 9th!

- More 1500h Kick-Offs on a Saturday

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 06 May 2008 09:11

Magic_Shovel
Avon Royal Quite looking forward to:

-Cheaper season ticket
-Cheaper away days
-Winning away
-Meeting up with old rivals again (although it will be strange with no Stoke)
-Having fun again
-An away game I can cycle to
-Fewer hangers-on

Roll on August the 9th!

- More 1500h Kick-Offs on a Saturday

More night matches.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 09:23

I have made my thoughts clear on this before, and if it does happen next week, then I will be looking forward to next season with renewed excitement.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 06 May 2008 09:27

Paying over £25 to watch us at home to Blackpool? No thanks. I can't understand why anyone would want to watch us play football against teams of a lower level, I'll still go but I won't be walking away from any ground thinking 'what a result against the odds that was'

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 09:32

Huntley & Palmer I can't understand why anyone would want to watch us play football against teams of a lower level

Because it is still Reading FC that you apparently support?

This season has been the most boring in my opionion that I have ever endured as a supporter of this club and that covers a period of over 25 seasons. Only the Tommy Burns/Terry Bullivant period runs it close.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 06 May 2008 09:35

Exactly, so you want them to be playing at the best level possible. Surely? Most of us will still be there next season regardless, just can't see how anyone can get excited about playing at a lower level in a far tighter and harder league to do well in. This season has been far from boring, though it is still Reading FC that you apparently support?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 May 2008 09:42

Wycombe Royal
Huntley & Palmer I can't understand why anyone would want to watch us play football against teams of a lower level

This season has been the most boring in my opionion that I have ever endured as a supporter of this club and that covers a period of over 25 seasons. Only the Tommy Burns/Terry Bullivant period runs it close.

Would you be happy watching your kids trundle along in the middle/bottom sets at school showing no ambition to improve on their all too obvious mediocrity?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 09:42

Huntley & Palmer Exactly, so you want them to be playing at the best level possible. Surely? Most of us will still be there next season regardless, just can't see how anyone can get excited about playing at a lower level in a far tighter and harder league to do well in. This season has been far from boring, though it is still Reading FC that you apparently support?

Yes I want them to be playing at the best level, but, Championship football in my opinion is a more exciting prospect. As you say the division is a lot tighter, there are more rivalries and atmospheres will be better.

We haven't scored a goal in over a third of our matches and since the turn of the year we have only scored in 6 out of 17 matches - if you think that makes it far from boring then you are very easily pleased. We haven't even really competed in that many matches, even Fulham beat us at a canter.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 09:44

The whole year inn
Wycombe Royal

Would you be happy watching your kids trundle along in the middle/bottom sets at school showing no ambition to improve on their all too obvious mediocrity?

Relating football to parenting. I've heard it all now. I don't pay to watch my kids entertain me and trying to use that to further an argument is bordering on the ridiculous.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 May 2008 09:47

Not really. If you are happy to watch Reading play at a mediocre level it suggests you show little to no ambition in other aspects of your life.

I fail to see how games against Burnley, Barnsley and their ilk will improve on this season :|

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 09:56

The whole year inn Not really. If you are happy to watch Reading play at a mediocre level it suggests you show little to no ambition in other aspects of your life.

Keep it up, it's making my morning all the more entertaining.

Trying to relate my support of a football club to my ambitions in life. Comical.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 06 May 2008 10:01

We haven't done the double against any side this season (& I'm not confident about beating Derby next weekend either) whereas at least we've got Sheffield United to look forward to taking 6 points from next year.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 06 May 2008 10:01

The whole year inn Not really. If you are happy to watch Reading play at a mediocre level it suggests you show little to no ambition in other aspects of your life.

LOL. Say it again. You may even believe it yourself next time.

Given the current state of the club, The Championship is the place to be. 23 competitive games, maybe even a cup run and a bit of breathing space to strengthen. Im not entirely sure what is 'ambitious' about hoping 3 teams are worse than you.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 06 May 2008 10:05

Wycombe Royal atmospheres will be better.

:| Because everyone expects us to win rather than lose?

244 posts