Review of the season

Keeper

Review of the season

by Keeper » 07 May 2008 07:35

I've been asked to give my review of the season for a national newspaper, I thought I would ask all of you the questions to see what the general consensus is so that I can represent all fans rather than just my views

How was your season?
Happy with the gaffer?
Who were the stars - and who flopped?
Who were the best, and worst, away fans?
Top hate figure at another club?
Top 5 best opposition players?
Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered?
Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered?
Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Review of the season

by Jerry St Clair » 07 May 2008 08:16

How was your season? Shit
Happy with the gaffer? No
Who were the stars - and who flopped? Hahnemann starred in patches. The rest were shit.
Who were the best, and worst, away fans? Best, Fulham. Worst, Arrogant Villa
Top hate figure at another club? Is this for The Sun?
Top 5 best opposition players? Stephen Hunt, John Oster, the Argentine lad from Birmingham, er....that's it
Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered? It is for The Sun!
Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered? Not bothered
Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered?[/quote] What's thge point of this question? Game 39 died months ago

Keeper

by Keeper » 07 May 2008 08:23

Its not for the sun!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 May 2008 09:04

How was your season?

Not very good, how was yours?

Happy with the gaffer?

No, not at the moment I am not happy with the gaffer due entirely to his failure to cover his posterior in the January transfer window. Don't want him to leave though.

Who were the stars?

Alpha Centauri was pretty impressive an Rigel had its moments but think Alderbaran was the stand out for me.

- and who flopped?

Everyone who wore a blue and white shirt

Harry Redknapp if Portsmouh do not field a pumped up first team looking for a result on Sunday.

Roque Santa Cruz
Ronaldo
Fernando Torres
Zarate
Jimmy Bullard

It is not possible for me to care less

Unknown at the moment, would prefer and English manager but until the money disappears from the Premiership we're going to be lumbered with too many players from outside the British Isles and therefore a struggling international set up.

Bad idea and about as much chance as happening as there is of FIFA making a worthwhile law change to the game.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 07 May 2008 09:28

Sounds like the Observer to me.

Answers:-

How was your season?

Having started with 4 points against Man U, Chelsea and Everton, it was like being on a beautiful scenic drive down a mountainside in the South of France, then suddenly realising that the brakes weren’t working.

Happy with the gaffer?

Happy that he will learn from his mistake not to invest in a stronger squad. His biggest strength (loyalty) has been shown to also be his greatest weakness, and he may be too honourable to want to stay in the job as a result.

Stars – Hahnemann – probably the most overworked keeper in the division, but made very few mistakes in the second half of the season. Hunt started well but his energy-at-the-expense-of-skill approach was exposed as the season wore on. Bikey has the energy and enthusiasm to make a difference next season, and Matejovsky the skill, so the future looks reasonably rosy.

Flops – Record signing Fae failed to make a mark, Lita’s attitude was poor early in the season, Shorey had severe concentration problems knowing that he would be leaving in the summer, and Sonko had confidence problems after being thrown back into the team too early after injury, which culminated in the end of season ban along with Fae for failing to turn out for the reserves. Shameful.

Best – Fulham were noisy and humorous, possibly aided at the time by their gallows humour, as they probably thought they were down. They have the best song, in praise of Jimmy Bullard at the expense of Gerrard and Lampard.

Worst – Liverpool. You’ll Never Walk Alone? Their fans started leaving about 15 minutes from the end of their 3-1 defeat, and there were barely a couple of dozen of their fans left to sing the song at the end.

We don’t do hate at Reading, do we? OK then, Kevin Nolan for his idiot grin after scoring for Bolton.

Rooney was magnificent, Bullard ran the show, Bellamy* was unmarkable, Robbie Keane was irritatingly effective and Cahill was unbeatable

*NB put Bowyer by mistake until corrected below by the Surgeon of Crowthorne.

Chelsea – still have a soft spot for Sidwell despite not being able to understand how a footballer is prepared to spend a season on the bench just for the money

Good. He should instil some discipline in players who have got way above their station.

Just plain stupid idea, but it was games 25 and 34 (2-0 defeats at home to Bolton and Fulham) that should have been banned this season.
Last edited by CMRoyal on 07 May 2008 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 07 May 2008 09:29

How was your season? Ask me on sunday at 5pm, survival = success (just)

Happy with the gaffer? Made some devastating mistakes in team selection on occasions, and not spent enough during the transfer windows, but still clearly the best manager in our history so can't really complain.

Who were the stars - and who flopped? Marcus put a poor start to the season and a horrific hand injury behind him to become our most consistent performer. Bikey has shown that he has the ability to perform at this level and on international stage. Just about everybody else could be considered a flop for some stage of the season, but special mentions to Shorey, Fae and 'Player of the season' Hunt for not turning up after his new contract was signed.

Who were the best, and worst, away fans? Fulham and West Ham brought very vocal followings, although maybe they co-incided with two of the worst Reading displays I can remember. Newcastle were very quiet.

Top hate figure at another club? Easy to say anyone at Chelsea who still rolls out the Cech incident, but I will leave this position vacant depending on sunday's games.

Top 5 best opposition players? Vidic, Ronaldo, Torres (cup game only), Keane, Berbatov

Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered? United

Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered? Proabably the right choice, but i'm not bothered.

Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered? Dreadful idea, sums up the premier league nicely though

Y25

by Y25 » 07 May 2008 09:58

How was your season?
Painful

Happy with the gaffer?
No

I can only give little praise to Hahneman for his efforts in the second half of the season.
How Hunt won player of the season I will never know. You cannot fault the player for effort but he lacks skill.

Flopped - Shorey, Doyle

Best - Fulham, Bolton
Worst - Blackburn, Wigan

Keane
+ Bullard, Nolan, Downing, Rooney

Ronaldo, Torres, Fabregas, Keane, Rooney

Not bothered

Right choice

Bad idea

Magicman

by Magicman » 07 May 2008 10:03

How was your season? Not great, didnt enjoy that mcuh at all

Happy with the gaffer? Lookig back over 3 seasons yes happy enough

Who were the stars - and who flopped? Marcus & Marek were ok, Hunt & Doyle flopped for me

Who were the best, and worst, away fans? Best Liverpool in the Cup, Worst Spurs

Top hate figure at another club? Still Ronaldo

Fabregas
Torres
Santa Cruz
Lescott
James

Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered? Whats the champions league

Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered? Isnt Sven still managing England

Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered? Yeah great idea but i do like to travel

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 May 2008 10:09

[quote="Keeper"]I've been asked to give my review of the season for a national newspaper, I thought I would ask all of you the questions to see what the general consensus is so that I can represent all fans rather than just my views

How was your season?-been a bit poo hasnt it
Happy with the gaffer?always, made some mistakes, some big ones, but i still love his little baldy head
Who were the stars - and who flopped? hanneman, bikey, mateovski, rosenior all did well. shorey, lita, doyle, murty, sonko, gunnarson, all very poor.
Who were the best, and worst, away fans?-fulham were the best for their witty banter, chelsea fans were worst, they just were
Top hate figure at another club?emerse fae
Top 5 best opposition players?bullard, torres, fabregas, vidic, berbatov
Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered?chelsea
Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered?good choice, would be bovvered if we had a game this summer
Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered?one of the stupidest things ive ever heard

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 07 May 2008 10:23

How was your season? mediocre
Happy with the gaffer? still deserves a knighthood
Who were the stars - and who flopped? stars - the south stand cross bar, bikey for his performance at the ACN, doyle flopped first swiftly followed by everyone else
Who were the best, and worst, away fans? who cares?
Top hate figure at another club? still nigel quasie
Top 5 best opposition players? ronaldo , torres and then its all prety much the same
Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered? who cares?
Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered? who cares
Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered? bad idea

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 07 May 2008 10:24

CMRoyal Sounds like the Observer to me.

Answers:-

How was your season?

Having started with 4 points against Man U, Chelsea and Everton, it was like being on a beautiful scenic drive down a mountainside in the South of France, then suddenly realising that the brakes weren’t working.

Happy with the gaffer?

Happy that he will learn from his mistake not to invest in a stronger squad. His biggest strength (loyalty) has been shown to also be his greatest weakness, and he may be too honourable to want to stay in the job as a result.

Stars – Hahnemann – probably the most overworked keeper in the division, but made very few mistakes in the second half of the season. Hunt started well but his energy-at-the-expense-of-skill approach was exposed as the season wore on. Bikey has the energy and enthusiasm to make a difference next season, and Matejovsky the skill, so the future looks reasonably rosy.

Flops – Record signing Fae failed to make a mark, Lita’s attitude was poor early in the season, Shorey had severe concentration problems knowing that he would be leaving in the summer, and Sonko had confidence problems after being thrown back into the team too early after injury, which culminated in the end of season ban along with Fae for failing to turn out for the reserves. Shameful.

Best – Fulham were noisy and humorous, possibly aided at the time by their gallows humour, as they probably thought they were down. They have the best song, in praise of Jimmy Bullard at the expense of Gerrard and Lampard.

Worst – Liverpool. You’ll Never Walk Alone? Their fans started leaving about 15 minutes from the end of their 3-1 defeat, and there were barely a couple of dozen of their fans left to sing the song at the end.

We don’t do hate at Reading, do we? OK then, Kevin Nolan for his idiot grin after scoring for Bolton.

Rooney was magnificent, Bullard ran the show, Bowyer was unmarkable, Robbie Keane was irritatingly effective and Cahill was unbeatable

Chelsea – still have a soft spot for Sidwell despite not being able to understand how a footballer is prepared to spend a season on the bench just for the money

Good. He should instil some discipline in players who have got way above their station.

Just plain stupid idea, but it was games 25 and 34 (2-0 defeats at home to Bolton and Fulham) that should have been banned this season.
Can't disagree with much of that, except I'd substitute Craig Bellamy for Bowyer in the Best Opposition Players category.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 07 May 2008 10:31

The Surgeon of Crowthorne took a scalpel to my post and Can't disagree with much of that, except I'd substitute Craig Bellamy for Bowyer in the Best Opposition Players category.

Oops, well spotted, that's who I meant.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 07 May 2008 10:48

Keeper I've been asked to give my review of the season for a national newspaper, I thought I would ask all of you the questions to see what the general consensus is so that I can represent all fans rather than just my views ?

How was your season?

An overlong succession of dull games against mediocre clubs.

Happy with the gaffer?

Not especially, but cant think of anybody who would do better with Madejski hovering over them. However his team selections for the cup are now bordering on silly.

Stars.
Doyle - For playing on the wing all season.
Kitson - For occasionally appearing like a human being rather than an overpaid prima donna.
Hannehmann - Looked like his career was all over at midseason - rescued it in the second half
Harper - In a continually changing team, he was an ever present

Flops
Lita - All mouth, no action
Rosenior - Little boy lost
Shorey - From excellant to diabolical in three easy months
Convey - Should be playing every week but for some reason isnt. Needs to sort out his off the field play

Best - Fulham and Newcastle
Worst - Bolton

For me it has to be Petr "Suit of Armour" Cech. He's STILL milking it!

Top 5 best opposition players?'

Ronaldo (Deserves to win the league)
Berbatov
Torres
Bullard (Can we please have him?)
Robbie Keane

I am less than 'not bothered'

Probably the right decision.

Its not even worth discussing.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 07 May 2008 11:20

Keeper Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered?

Still very wary for the future - although a 39th game and a lop-sided league is dead, the idea of the PL playing competitive matches overseas is very much alive, and only sleeping at the moment. The PL is currently working on a new set of proposals that they are confident will be accepted.

So be on your guard for the future - we may have won a battle but the war is still to be won!

Anyway, apologies for derailing Keeper's thread. I'll go now and won't trouble you any more (except to ask Keeper if she'll be sharing any media fee with all those who've contributed to this thread..... :wink: )

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 May 2008 11:30

How was your season? Not very good-I've only been to 10 games this season.
Happy with the gaffer? Yes, I'm reasonably happy apart from the mistakes he's made this season, I'd hope he'll learn from them for next season.
Who were the stars - and who flopped? Nobody really stood out for me, apart from maybe Hahnemann and Kitson. I'm disappointed that Little hadn't featured much this season.
Who were the best, and worst, away fans? I don't really care about the away fans
Top hate figure at another club? Ronaldo
Top 5 best opposition players? I'm not bothered about the opposition. I go to games because I want to watch Reading, not the opposition.
Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered? Chelsea
Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered? Need more time to see if it was the right choice.
Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered?Very bad idea.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 May 2008 11:31

Keeper Its not for the sun!

Is it for the Observer/Guardian?

Keeper

by Keeper » 07 May 2008 11:42

STAR Campaigns (except to ask Keeper if she'll be sharing any media fee with all those who've contributed to this thread..... :wink: )

No fee this time

knobby_1871

by knobby_1871 » 07 May 2008 11:47

How was your season? Apart from Liverpool at home and first three games pretty naff.
Happy with the gaffer? Yes, I'm reasonably happy, needs to use subs a bit sooner and leave loyalty to non-performers at home
Who were the stars - and who flopped? Stars - Hannemann, Mateojsky, Rosenior Flops - Harper, Shorey, Fae,
Who were the best, and worst, away fans? Best were Fulham Worst as always Moan United
Top hate figure at another club? Ronaldo, Diouf
Top 5 best opposition players? - Ronaldo, Jenas, Bullard
Who do you want to win the Champions League? Chelsea, Man Utd, not bothered? - Chelsea
Fabio Capello - right choice, wrong choice, not bothered? Time will tell.
Game 39 - good idea, bad idea, not bothered? n/a

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 07 May 2008 12:02

How was your season? As I expected really, Without the investment, we were always going to struggle.
Happy with the gaffer? Yes, even when we go down I would like him to stay, but I thnk he will want a break from fooball.
Who were the stars - Hahneman has been our busiest and best player this season, along with the crossbar. No others deserve a mention.
and who flopped? Lita, Doyle, Convey, Sonko, Shorey, Fae, Murty and all the player we signed in the close season and Jan.
Who were the best, and worst, away fans? Thought that Aston Villas lot were quite load, and worst were Everton
Top hate figure at another club? Don't have one
Top 5 best opposition players? Ronaldo, Adebyour, Torres, Drogba, Fabregas
Who do you want to win the Champions League? Would prefer Man Utd. They play the more entertaining football.
Fabio Capello - If he can't make the England team successful, I doubt anyone can.
Game 39 - It probably wont affect us.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 07 May 2008 13:15

How was your season?

First 2 weeks were awesome, a point at Old Trafford, great performance against Chelsea where we should have won and a win against Everton. 2 clean sheets too. Since then........

Happy with the gaffer?

He's made some honest mistakes this season and is largely to blame for where we are. However I'm confident he'll learn from them whichever league we're in next season and I hope he stays in the summer.

First half of the season, Kitson and Hunt. Second half, Bikey, Matejovsky and Hahnemann. As for flops, Doyle, Shorey, whoever has been playing on the right all season and of course Fae. Hunt since Christmas too.

I have to say the Fulham fans were great considering how dead and buried they were at the time. Just a couple of weeks before, the Blackburn fans were awful. They didn't even make noise when they were a man up.

Nobody really. I was pretty wound up with Ireland for his brilliant volley, or with Gary Cahill summing up what we should have gone for in the transfer window. But that's no reason to hate somebody.

When Sunderland came Craig Gordon was immense, including his last minute save that was given as a goal. Bellamy and Etherington tore us to shreds for West Ham. You could pick practically any Arsenal player from that game at the Mad Stad. Bullard and McBride won Fulham that fateful game.

Man Utd every day of the week. Better football, more English players and they grew into a top club more organically and naturally.

His teams are traditionally very boring to watch but also very hard to beat. Judging from the game against France he's half way there so far, but I'm convinced with work he can add resilience to the poor football.

I thought it was dead. Shocking money driven idea anyhow.