Am i the only one feeling this way re: Burns?

mini _dariusz

Re: Am i the only one feeling this way?

by mini _dariusz » 16 May 2008 07:55

OldBiscuit
mini _dariusz shithouse.

Steady on mate, the man only died today!

YOU'RE the shithouse !

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Am i the only one feeling this way re: Burns?

by LUX » 16 May 2008 08:14

Royal for Sale I think that, no matter what our opinions are about Tommy Burns as manager of Reading, it's probably all been said before. From what I've heard today he was a decent, well-liked human being, a family man, and he died at a relatively young age of a horrible illness. We should at least respect that and those that are grieving for him, so I don't think it's appropriate to be sticking the knife in right now. We just look bitter and undignified by doing so.

spot on.

If that opening post is what the old school are really like, welcome back I'm Mad.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 May 2008 08:16

It is said if you can't say anything good, then say nothing. This topic is a case in point, should be deleted IMHO,

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 May 2008 09:12

jonboy Burns put this club back years - he massively under estimated the league we were in.

No he didn't. He took over the club when it was in a mess after the Bullivant era. His problem was that he didn;t understand the division we were in, he did not under estimate it. He tried to get us playing the possession game but as we all know that does not work in the lower divisions. The seven he brought in on that deadline day were a last ditch attempt to keep the club up as the squad that he inherited from Bullivant was that bad.

Pete10

by Pete10 » 16 May 2008 09:23

Did not not sign a certain fella called Forster?

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 16 May 2008 09:30

Good chat with Ray Houghton on RB last evening. Said that Burns did a lot of important ground work for the current set up such as training facilities and building team spirit by after training meals together etc.
Also said that Burns wanted his players to play footbal on the ground and have all of them comfortable on the ball which the squad then were not used to. Maybe given more time who knows?

I've not actually heard anyone in the game with a bad word to say about him so couldn't have been all bad. Not unlike another boss not a million miles away.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 May 2008 09:53

how can he be our worst manager ever, after replacing him?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 16 May 2008 11:11

Being a crap manager is forgiveable.

Stealing money from the club isn't. The man took the club for all he could get.

Paying 500k for Evers was no accident.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 16 May 2008 13:18

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Being a crap manager is forgiveable.

Fair enough, but if its been eating away at you that much, why is only now that you choose to mention it? Really not necessary IMO.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 16 May 2008 13:51

The only manager worse than Terry Taxi.

Pointless play, awful sideways play, disbanding the reserves, wasted huge amounts of money...

SEAN EVERS
PAUL BRAYSON

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 May 2008 14:09

Do I remember correctly that he gave a number of Reading players at the start of the 1998/9 season the cold shoulder, players such as Gareth Davies?

Was there a length of rope involved?

Skyline

by Skyline » 16 May 2008 14:13

The Death Row 5 wasn't it? Gareth Davies was on it. Can't think of the others.

jonboy

by jonboy » 16 May 2008 14:24

Wycombe Royal
jonboy Burns put this club back years - he massively under estimated the league we were in.

No he didn't. He took over the club when it was in a mess after the Bullivant era. His problem was that he didn;t understand the division we were in, he did not under estimate it. He tried to get us playing the possession game but as we all know that does not work in the lower divisions. The seven he brought in on that deadline day were a last ditch attempt to keep the club up as the squad that he inherited from Bullivant was that bad.

You can play any type of game you like if you have the right players! He had the money, he had the wages and he blew it all.
After him financially we were in all sorts of problems. It wasn't until Mad Dog was introduced to kick the over-rated, over-paid players up the backside that we actually looked like a team again.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 May 2008 15:53

Skyline The Death Row 5 wasn't it? Gareth Davies was on it. Can't think of the others.

Yes, I'm sure you're right that it was "The Death Row 5". I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that Paul Bodin was one too. And perhaps Michael Meaker? :|

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 16 May 2008 16:22

The Steve row 5 contained at least three boyos.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2008 16:23

Wycombe Royal

I have to say that those of us who witnessed the away game at Ipswich following the arrival of all of his transfer deadline signings saw a team fight with a level of conviction, passion and fight that we would have loved to have seen in some of our games this season. Indeed had our 2007/8 squad shown that level of conviction, passion and fight I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be facing Championship football next season.

I remember the youngish loan player he signed as a centre back (can't remember his name, somewhat embarrassingly) could barely walk off the pitch at the end of the Ipswich game as he had given his absolute all (not helped by the sending off of Legg and Bernal IIRC).

Tommy Burns was a real football man and a fan's manager. Again IIRC he came to Elm Park incognito and stood on the Southbank to watch a game before deciding to join us.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 May 2008 16:25

RoyalBlue I remember the youngish loan player he signed as a centre back (can't remember his name, somewhat embarrassingly) could barely walk off the pitch at the end of the Ipswich game as he had given his absolute all (not helped by the sending off of Legg and Bernal IIRC).

Patrick Kelly.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 May 2008 16:27

SpaceCruiser
RoyalBlue I remember the youngish loan player he signed as a centre back (can't remember his name, somewhat embarrassingly) could barely walk off the pitch at the end of the Ipswich game as he had given his absolute all (not helped by the sending off of Legg and Bernal IIRC).

Patrick Kelly.

Quite liked him, broke his leg v Boro? Remember him being carried off, ended up playing in the Scottish Leagues. any idea where he is now anyone?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 May 2008 16:28

SpaceCruiser

Patrick Kelly.

That's him - a really good young player, which was probably why we could only get him on loan!

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Being a crap manager is forgiveable.

Was it ever proved that he did anything wrong? If not, you're lucky that you can't libel a dead man!

Your accusations don't appear to sit very comfortably with the glowing references that he received and is still receiving from around the football world.

Alan Partridge
SpaceCruiser

Patrick Kelly.

Quite liked him, broke his leg v Boro? Remember him being carried off, ended up playing in the Scottish Leagues. any idea where he is now anyone?

Think he was playing for Cowdenbeath in April 05.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 16 May 2008 18:14

SpaceCruiser
Skyline The Death Row 5 wasn't it? Gareth Davies was on it. Can't think of the others.

Yes, I'm sure you're right that it was "The Death Row 5". I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that Paul Bodin was one too. And perhaps Michael Meaker? :|

Yes there was a strong Welsh contingent which also included Andy Legg I think