An official thank you to the parking space crew.

117 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

An official thank you to the parking space crew.

by Millsy » 20 May 2008 23:49

This is to say an official thank you and well done to the several hundred people here, who, at the drop of a hat went out in force to support and welcome Coppell to stay. Well done 17 bus et al for the idea, and everyone else who took part and represented people like me who were at work and/or didn't even know about it. Clearly had a lot to do with Coppell's decision.

You may not realise it now, but this one act of sheer passionate support may well have changed the direction of RFC forever.

After being so vocal about our horrendous home support, which I still maintain shows we do not belong anywhere near the Premiership, you guys have put back a lot of my faith in Reading fans and I'm delighted the flame of Elm Park's spirit lives. After such a showing I'm beginning to think we certainly do deserve to fight for the Prem.

My respect and my thanks to real Reading fans everywhere.

Once again proud to be a Reading lad.

READING TILL I DIE.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: An official thank you to the parking space crew.

by Geekins » 21 May 2008 01:11

Can i just say that i gave up a ticket to see Dara O'brien in Portsmouth to travel to Reading and show my support. I don't think i told anyone that. :wink:

It was worth it and thanks to people on here to tell me to come along! I love this club and i'll sacrifice anything for it. URZZZZ!

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 21 May 2008 01:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup This is to say an official thank you and well done to the several hundred people here, who, at the drop of a hat went out in force to support and welcome Coppell to stay. Well done 17 bus et al for the idea, and everyone else who took part and represented people like me who were at work and/or didn't even know about it. Clearly had a lot to do with Coppell's decision.

You may not realise it now, but this one act of sheer passionate support may well have changed the direction of RFC forever.

After being so vocal about our horrendous home support, which I still maintain shows we do not belong anywhere near the Premiership, you guys have put back a lot of my faith in Reading fans and I'm delighted the flame of Elm Park's spirit lives. After such a showing I'm beginning to think we certainly do deserve to fight for the Prem.

READING TILL I DIE.

Thank you, that means a hell of a lot. Seriously. The Facebook group I had set up got over 2700 members in the end and tbqh every single person who was down at that car park who was there needs to realise that by being there they may have changed the history of the club. Fan power. It was a fading force you thought within this club, but the parking space demonstration / rally whatever it is called really seems to have made some sort of effect on Coppell and the way that Reading fans managed to come out in force like that after we had just been relegated, it astounds me.

Well done to The17bus, Dirk, AbovetheI, myself ( :lol: ) , Murky and everyone else who had some part to play in getting it running and putting it on the ground. I can only echo what 2WWA1WC has said by saying : One day, you will be able to say you were there.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 21 May 2008 02:00

Ideal Wow, I wish I had been there.
When did all this happen?

Last Tuesday night. There is some footage on Youtube from the BBC. I'll try find the link.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 21 May 2008 02:06

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 May 2008 08:24

Geekins Can i just say that i gave up a ticket to see Dara O'brien in Portsmouth to travel to Reading and show my support. I don't think i told anyone that. :wink:

Funny, must have just imagined it then! :wink:

Anyway, well done!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 May 2008 08:28

there's some footage on the OS too (I assume it's the same bunch?). I only recognised Dirk.

ps well done you lot.

old woman

by old woman » 21 May 2008 09:04

Thanks to everyone who went.

At least it gave BBC south something other than Portsmouth to talk about!!!!

heathrow royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: As seen on Soccer AM and somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton airport!!!

by heathrow royal » 21 May 2008 09:11

Readingfanman
2 world wars, 1 world cup This is to say an official thank you and well done to the several hundred people here, who, at the drop of a hat went out in force to support and welcome Coppell to stay. Well done 17 bus et al for the idea, and everyone else who took part and represented people like me who were at work and/or didn't even know about it. Clearly had a lot to do with Coppell's decision.

READING TILL I DIE.

Thank you, that means a hell of a lot. Seriously. The Facebook group I had set up got over 2700 members in the end and tbqh every single person who was down at that car park who was there needs to realise that by being there they may have changed the history of the club. Fan power. It was a fading force you thought within this club, but the parking space demonstration / rally whatever it is called really seems to have made some sort of effect on Coppell and the way that Reading fans managed to come out in force like that after we had just been relegated, it astounds me.

Well done to The17bus, Dirk, AbovetheI, myself ( :lol: ) , Murky and everyone else who had some part to play in getting it running and putting it on the ground. I can only echo what 2WWA1WC has said by saying : One day, you will be able to say you were there.

To be honest i was suprised with the numbers that turned up with little notice, big well done to readingfanman!!! I WAS THERE!!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 May 2008 09:38

god, we're great arent we?!

didnt think it would make that much of a difference, i just wanted to show my appreciation, and let the man know he hadnt let me down
but judging from the quotes from yesterday, it actually had some effect.
it was well worth two sheets of A$ paper, 1 RFC scarf, an RFC flag, and an hour an a half of my time.

good to meet some nobbers too

hes not mentioned it,but i feel it should be put out there, i believe geekins may have passed up the opportunity to go and see a comedy show on the night, so well done to him, hes too modest to have really gone on about it

anR

by anR » 21 May 2008 09:41

The story also made the front of the Post, of course.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2028010_hes_staying

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 21 May 2008 11:41

brendywendy hes not mentioned it,but i feel it should be put out there, i believe geekins may have passed up the opportunity to go and see a comedy show on the night, so well done to him, hes too modest to have really gone on about it

I tried to keep it quiet but now you've let it out. :lol:

My sister who lives in Wokingham was really amazed what i did to show my support to Steve Coppell. She also told me that her son, my nephew (aged 6) started liking Man Utd, so me coming down in my Reading shirt and being positive about the club has made him back into a Reading fan. Good result all round!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 May 2008 11:44

ive just read we will be getting a new scarf for free with our new season tickets this season
so im leaving mine up at the carparking space, its yours sir steve if you want it

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 21 May 2008 13:05

Yes well done lads.
I was working in Bristol that day and all geared up to get back by 7:30, but my son needed me to stop by Oxford on the way back so I couldn't make it.
I can't say 'I was there' and I'm disappointed.
But I did send an email to the club on the Monday telling Steve to stay so I don't feel a total plastic.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 May 2008 13:49

Yes, well done to those of you who took placards and blu tak along to a car parking space for single handedly saving the club. Equally, congratulations on your self-congratulation.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 21 May 2008 13:51

It may have felt like a small, silly thing at the time, but it obviously meant a lot to everyone, and that's when you appreciate belonging to a club like Reading.

working class hero

by working class hero » 21 May 2008 14:01

I also think the fact he was met with a standing ovation at the STAR fans forum BEFORE the relegation also helped. As did the number of fans who were clearly supportive of him. The standing ovation at the end....and the many fans who pleaded with him to stay [even when he was in his car].

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 May 2008 14:02

floyd__streete Yes, well done to those of you who took placards and blu tak along to a car parking space for single handedly saving the club. Equally, congratulations on your self-congratulation.

ouch

miow

i consider myself well and truly told

(love the people sniping at it
why bother?
you showed your mindset by not turning up
not sure of the need for sneerage at those who did though)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 May 2008 14:07

Geekins
brendywendy on 21 May hes not mentioned it,but i feel it should be put out there, i believe geekins may have passed up the opportunity to go and see a comedy show on the night, so well done to him, hes too modest to have really gone on about it

I tried to keep it quiet but now you've let it out. :lol:
!

If you were trying to keep it quiet, perhaps you shouldn't have written this on the afternoon of 20th May! :wink:

Geekins Well done everyone. Truely glad us fans have felt wanted! Really pleased i missed going out to see a comedy show and travelled from Portsmouth to show how much i wanted Coppell to stay last week!

URZ! Steve Coppell's barmy army!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 21 May 2008 14:12, edited 2 times in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 May 2008 14:09

and on several occasions since

that was the point

117 posts