Shorey - How much will he go for?

165 posts

Shorey - How much do you think he will go for?

Less than 3 Million
31%
3 - 5 Million
61%
5 Million +
8%

Total votes: 236
Apocalypse Now
Location: " Has anyone here at this reading home game, got a season ticket"- Pa Dickhead

Re: Shorey - How much will he go for?

by Apocalypse Now » 22 May 2008 09:55

Wycombe Royal It is all just spin to make other football clubs think we aren't flushed with money so that when it comes to transfer dealings they can attempt to drive a harder bargain.

Unlike the Sunderland approach of "we have £50m to spend, how much of it do you want for this player?".

I am amazed at how much people are reading in to these comments.

Saying you've got no money and need to sell isn't a good tactic when trying to sell players though, which is the case here :roll:

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 22 May 2008 09:59

Why didn't he go to West Ham before?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 May 2008 10:06

Apocalypse Now
Wycombe Royal It is all just spin to make other football clubs think we aren't flushed with money so that when it comes to transfer dealings they can attempt to drive a harder bargain.

Unlike the Sunderland approach of "we have £50m to spend, how much of it do you want for this player?".

Saying you've got no money and need to sell isn't a good tactic when trying to sell players though, which is the case here :roll:

No it isn't, and they have not said they are desperate to sell and that there will be money problems if they don't. All they have said is that to bring in players we need to sell first because we want the squad to be smaller. Of course they would like some of the higher earners of the wage bill but that doesn't mean we are desperate to sell them and we therefore won't be selling for whatever we can get. The sales will be on our terms where contracts don't get in the way (Shorey and Hunt).

Madesjki said in the Coppell press conference that no players will be leaving on the cheap.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 22 May 2008 10:39

Given his poor form last season and the fact that he is now almost certainly off Capello's radar, I think we will struggle to get £2.5m. Pity since he was probably worth twice that a year ago and we've had little to thank him for since then.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 May 2008 10:43

Old Biscuitman and we've had little to thank him for since then.

Apart from the 10 goals he set up and the couple he scored (that's 12 out of the 41 we scored).

Fezza

by Fezza » 22 May 2008 10:50

Wycombe Royal

Apart from the 10 goals he set up and the couple he scored (that's 12 out of the 41 we scored).

We still got relegated - also how many did we concede?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 May 2008 10:53

Cant see us getting more than £3 mill for him as he only has 1 year left on his contract. It depends how many clubs come in for him

Hopefully the rumour of sonko going to stoke or west brom for £3 mill will turn out true

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 May 2008 11:01

Fezza
Wycombe Royal

We still got relegated - also how many did we concede?

I never said he played well all season, I was just pointing that he did do some good work last season.

And I don't think him not performing to his usual standard was the reason we conceded so many or the reason we got relegated. But if you are looking for a scapegoat.......

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 22 May 2008 11:03

I hope we get £3m+ for him but think it will be £4m max. I think other clubs think they can get our players on the cheap but I hope the club doesn't give in. You just wonder whether we might regret not accepting West Ham's £4 bid last August. Saying that at the time I thought it was the correct decision and we weren't to know that there would be no interest in him in January.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 May 2008 11:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup He can go for 5p for all I care. Was absolute sh*te all season and a reason we went down. If you don't want to play for Reading you can f*ck off as far as I'm concerned.

We'll probably get 2-3 million for him, no more.

well get more than that.....think of a realistic figure then double it.....reckon £6m

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 May 2008 11:06

exactly

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 22 May 2008 11:08

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. the chairman saying we are short of money is frankly rubbish, we've had 2 years worth of tv money, nearly 3 playing to crowds large enough to make a profit, not to mention all the extra money from hospitality and advertisements and we've hardly spent a very much in our two years in the top flight. oh and we're getting a cool £11,OOO,OOO just for being relegated.

thats the kinda attitude that puts teams like Leeds, Southampton, Leicester, etc where they are today

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 22 May 2008 11:22

Wycombe Royal

and he was on for readings most assists and according to the stats was in the top 5 in the prem for crosses....

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 May 2008 11:31

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 22 May 2008 11:34

Whatever his total contract is worth until it runs out, maybe a little bit more

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 22 May 2008 11:36

royalsteve
2 world wars, 1 world cup He can go for 5p for all I care. Was absolute sh*te all season and a reason we went down. If you don't want to play for Reading you can f*ck off as far as I'm concerned.

We'll probably get 2-3 million for him, no more.

well get more than that.....think of a realistic figure then double it.....reckon £6m

Come on, seriously. He's in the last year of his contract, wants to leave and is in shocking form. You think this is to our advantage?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 May 2008 11:36

Thaumagurist* Shorey can go, as long it isn't to Wet Sham.

The real question is, can we replace him with a left back of similar quality?

nope

but id settle for one with promise, and who wants to be here

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 22 May 2008 11:37

The real question is, can we replace him with a left back of similar quality?

Do you think Golbourne can replace him?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 22 May 2008 11:38

I'm so glad you are in charge of the club

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 May 2008 11:42

royalsteve
.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. the chairman saying we are short of money is frankly rubbish, we've had 2 years worth of tv money, nearly 3 playing to crowds large enough to make a profit, not to mention all the extra money from hospitality and advertisements and we've hardly spent a very much in our two years in the top flight. oh and we're getting a cool £11,OOO,OOO just for being relegated.

thats the kinda attitude that puts teams like Leeds, Southampton, Leicester, etc where they are today

Oh here we go again!! The extreme examples yet again!!

It is not that kind of attitude that put those clubs where they are today. Believe it or not very few, if any, supporters are advocating the crazy levels of spending and poorly drawn up contracts etc. that were the downfall of those clubs. However, lots of us do find it very difficult to accept that we are as hard up as is claimed and that it is necessary to go to the other financial extremes.

Can't help thinking that there is a sensible 'middle way' that is not being adopted due to a reluctance to invest realistic sums (in terms of the levels we are told the club aspire to compete) in order to obtain return.

165 posts