Shorey - How much will he go for?

165 posts

Shorey - How much do you think he will go for?

Less than 3 Million
31%
3 - 5 Million
61%
5 Million +
8%

Total votes: 236
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Shorey - How much will he go for?

by Ian Royal » 22 May 2008 17:43

The Surgeon of Crowthorne
nickaira Due to his performance last season, i cannot see a premiership manager wanting to buy him.

Marcus also made a similar point, saying that a number of players didn't do themselves any favors last season. I put Nicky in that list.

I think Shorey was to whom Marcus was specifically referring!

You could probably add Lita to that list to a lesser extent. Maybe Doyle and Hunt too.

I'm assuming noone even considers Fae part of the squad.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 22 May 2008 18:21

What i dont understand is why shorey was even in the starting line up. Nigel howe commented 'he has not been happy for a long time'

well why the hell play him. I would rather prefer liam rosenior to of been playing there

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 22 May 2008 18:31

An undisclosed fee...

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 22 May 2008 18:39

loyalroyal4life What i dont understand is why shorey was even in the starting line up. Nigel howe commented 'he has not been happy for a long time'

well why the hell play him. I would rather prefer liam rosenior to of been playing there

And let's be clear the only reason Shorey has been unhappy is because his big money move has been looking less and less likely this season.

He was the only player to publicly hit out after the game at Newcastle, and the reason was probably because after that performance, Newcastle were off the dwindling list of buyers looking at him.

*TOMOS

by *TOMOS » 22 May 2008 20:03

Top Flight In todays financial climate he should go for no less than £6 million Bucks. He is a capped England international.

And we all know how well England are performing at the mo lol :twisted:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 May 2008 20:29

loyalroyal4life What i dont understand is why shorey was even in the starting line up. Nigel howe commented 'he has not been happy for a long time' Well why the hell play him?

Because even though he may have been unhappy, he was still better than anything else we had. Even though Shorey wanted out, as long as he was with us Coppell thought he still gave us the best chance of winning each Saturday. Which, when you think about, doesn't say much about the rest of our squad last season and, if Shorey leaves, is cause for some concern this season. :|

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 May 2008 23:09

Glad to (probably) see him go for £million +

Sad to see him (probably) go like this.(getting booed by "our own" at the Mad Stad)

Remember back in 2002 when I told the world (at the players entrance) that he would play for England..........he did.......but I never thought it would actually happen whilst playing for Reading.

For what it is worth...thanx and good luck Nicky.......whatever the £

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 22 May 2008 23:23

rhroyal Saying that the 'we don't have any money' line could allow us to drive a harder bargain when we're after potential targets.

I don't think saying 'we have loads' (difficult to buy) or 'we have nothing (difficult to sell) helps either way, better to keep mouths firmly shut surely?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 22 May 2008 23:26

When selling Shorey, you must all remember how inflated prices for an England international are. Andy Johnson for £8.5mill, Hesket for £5.5mill when he was at the lowest point of his career, Micheal Carrick for somewhere between £16-18mill, Darren Bent for £18mill. Indeed it's not just England internationals, Gary Cahill cost Bolton £5mill, and surely Shorey is worth more than that? All these estimates of £3-4mill are way too low, even if he only has 1 year left.

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 22 May 2008 23:35

Will we sell the whole pub team, captain N. Shorey?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 May 2008 05:28

Ian Royal Sids was happy to stay and play out his contract and to put in good performances. Shorey has wanted away for some time and has already been in poor form because of it. The only thing we should do if we can't get more than £1.5m for him is make him rot on gardening leave. We'll see who wants him after a year without first team football and no professional training.

Heh, I recall when Sids left. He was worse than dog shiate and was viewed as the second coming of the devil. He was ridiculed left right and centre.

And then he was photographed at Shorey's wedding. And I recall asking about Shorey and the possibility of his leaving. At that time Shorey was the golden child and I was shouted down. Shorey was the blued eyed boy who had no ego and, unlike Sids, he really cared about the club.

Yet now it would appear that Sids is viewed differently, and better than Shorey. At least Sids (in hindsight, if not at the time) played hard and didn't have an attitude and saw his contract through.

So is this a learning curve within HNA? Is it some kind of Premiership evolution that little ole Reading are trying to adjust to? Woodcote Royal, do you still hate Sids and love Shorey? Does anyone have the nads to concede a point and give it up?

P.S. If Shorey leaves, does anyone in here honestly believe that as we 'strengthen the team' we'll actually be better and stronger at the left back position this coming season?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 May 2008 06:42

Denver Royal So is this a learning curve within HNA? Is it some kind of Premiership evolution that little ole Reading are trying to adjust to? Woodcote Royal, do you still hate Sids and love Shorey? Does anyone have the nads to concede a point and give it up?

P.S. If Shorey leaves, does anyone in here honestly believe that as we 'strengthen the team' we'll actually be better and stronger at the left back position this coming season?

Don't be ridiculous, Woodcote doesn't rate Shorey either.

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 23 May 2008 08:22

3.5m

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 May 2008 08:52

rhroyal When selling Shorey, you must all remember how inflated prices for an England international are. Andy Johnson for £8.5mill, Hesket for £5.5mill when he was at the lowest point of his career, Micheal Carrick for somewhere between £16-18mill, Darren Bent for £18mill. Indeed it's not just England internationals, Gary Cahill cost Bolton £5mill, and surely Shorey is worth more than that? All these estimates of £3-4mill are way too low, even if he only has 1 year left.

Cahill moving in January to a club desperate to sign him to try and stay up pushed his price up a fair bit. The Bent fee was just totally ridiculous but it all comes down to how much the selling club want to keep the player.

Shorey has one year left on his contract. He doesn't want to be here. We don't want to have to pay his inflated wages.

I don't think his price won't be much more than £3.5m at best now.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 May 2008 09:24

25p and a bag of spanners.

chandog

by chandog » 23 May 2008 10:05

He has been linked with a few clubs already - West Ham, Aston Villa and Newcastle
If these clubs end up competing to sign shorey then the price should go quite high
I reckon around £4 mill
Although he is not worth that after last season

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 May 2008 10:11

chandog He has been linked with a few clubs already - West Ham, Aston Villa and Newcastle
If these clubs end up competing to sign shorey then the price should go quite high
I reckon around £4 mill
Although he is not worth that after last season

Especially if they read this thread to try and gauge his effectiveness! Imagine if they used a printout of this thread to knock a few million off his price

Myself, I thought Shorey was by far one of the most hard working and effective players on the pitch this season. His tireless efforts and devotion to the cause clearly demonstrated why he is worthy of an England place cruelly denied him by playing for a low profile team.

If a higher profile team were to spend six million or so to buy him they would instantly have additional value added to his price when he receives the call up. He is also easily one of the best defenders to have should they somehow be dragged into a relegation dog fight. He could save them 2 million in the future.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 23 May 2008 10:15

ElmParker Full-backs are pretty pricy these days. Look at the fees paid for Baines, Chimbonda, Bale, Hutton* etc and it's a position that's nearly as over-priced as forwards. Add on the extra 25% for being English and £5m isn’t unrealistic.

*Granted, Spurs do appear obsessed with full-backs...

But take off 50% given he only has a year left on his contract meaning our bargaining position isn't exactly strong then £2.5 million isn't unrealistic.

In fact we might be lucky to get that.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 23 May 2008 10:16

Uke Myself, I thought Shorey was by far one of the most hard working and effective players on the pitch this season. His tireless efforts and devotion to the cause clearly demonstrated why he is worthy of an England place cruelly denied him by playing for a low profile team.

If a higher profile team were to spend six million or so to buy him they would instantly have additional value added to his price when he receives the call up. He is also easily one of the best defenders to have should they somehow be dragged into a relegation dog fight. He could save them 2 million in the future.

I just can't believe that Shorey isn't already an England international. His immaculate performances this year, precise passing skills and tenacious tackling make me think he will be an England captain sometime in the future. I expect a bidding war to develop between Man Utd, Chelsea and Barcelona and the fee to reach as high as £25 million.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 23 May 2008 10:30

Jack Celliers
Uke Myself, I thought Shorey was by far one of the most hard working and effective players on the pitch this season. His tireless efforts and devotion to the cause clearly demonstrated why he is worthy of an England place cruelly denied him by playing for a low profile team.

I just can't believe that Shorey isn't already an England international. His immaculate performances this year, precise passing skills and tenacious tackling make me think he will be an England captain sometime in the future. I expect a bidding war to develop between Man Utd, Chelsea and Barcelona and the fee to reach as high as £25 million.

He's probably thinking the same thing.

165 posts