Fae gone to Nice

133 posts
rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Fae gone to Nice

by rabidbee » 10 Jun 2008 02:44

Cookie
floyd__streete Perhaps Coppell might bother to watch our next potential record signing in person next time.

I agree with the sentiment here. Coppell spent a lot of time in Ireland watching Doyle Long and Bennett.
But I would have expected our scouts to do a better job. Fae was scouted for nearly two years. How was that time spent? Did anyone explain the way the English game works, did he bother to listen? Brian McDermot presumably had a french interpreter with him??

To be fair, you can't expect an experienced player to change their game to fit in ith your style of play; surely you should sign the players whose style matches your needs. Fine, I know it happens, sometimes very successfully; Wenger converting Henry from a winger ot a striker springs to mind, but I think that was more about seeing that the player was actually not playing in his best position. And fine, you can ask a player to add certain things to their game. But, essentially, surely it's up to the club to identify that a player's natural style is what they need?

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 10 Jun 2008 10:35

We should of bought someone decent instead of wasting are money on a frenchie who never wanted to play for us

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 10 Jun 2008 10:52

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 10 Jun 2008 11:03

I don’t like to criticise SC because of the great job he’s done but some of the signing especially Fae have been disappointing. After Sidwell left it was obvious we needed a ballwinner. We also had 12 months if not more, to prepare for his departure. We still don’t have that! I know its easy to say in hindsight but their has been players around which we could have gone for, 2 examples:

Marvin Elliot – (Who was mentioned by many posters at the time!) Moved to Bristol C last summer for a nominal fee (went to tribunal) he has experience in England and was a ballwinner. Was voted in the Championship team of the year.

Glenn Whealen (?) – Moved to Stoke last Jan from Sheff Wed, another player who could have made an impact.

The problem with Fae was from what I have seen he had to replace arguably our most influential player and he wasn’t the right ‘type’ of player (not a ballwinner) and he had to adjust to a different culture. It was so much to expect from a player with no experience in this country. Cisse presents a similar problem.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Jun 2008 11:03

Fae-k Off. Just another one of Reading's recent TERRIBLE signings.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 10 Jun 2008 11:09

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Jun 2008 11:10

Thaumagurist*
1871royals I don’t like to criticise SC because of the great job he’s done but some of the signing especially Fae have been disappointing. After Sidwell left it was obvious we needed a ballwinner. We also had 12 months if not more, to prepare for his departure. We still don’t have that! I know its easy to say in hindsight but their has been players around which we could have gone for, 2 examples:

Marvin Elliot – (Who was mentioned by many posters at the time!) Moved to Bristol C last summer for a nominal fee (went to tribunal) he has experience in England and was a ballwinner. Was voted in the Championship team of the year.

Glenn Whealen (?) – Moved to Stoke last Jan from Sheff Wed, another player who could have made an impact.

The problem with Fae was from what I have seen he had to replace arguably our most influential player and he wasn’t the right ‘type’ of player (not a ballwinner) and he had to adjust to a different culture. It was so much to expect from a player with no experience in this country. Cisse presents a similar problem.

The season's finished, it's time to move on. Stop whinging about Coppell's failure in the transfer market for the last 2 and a half years.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 10 Jun 2008 11:14

Thaumagurist*
1871royals I don’t like to criticise SC because of the great job he’s done but some of the signing especially Fae have been disappointing. After Sidwell left it was obvious we needed a ballwinner. We also had 12 months if not more, to prepare for his departure. We still don’t have that! I know its easy to say in hindsight but their has been players around which we could have gone for, 2 examples:

The season's finished, it's time to move on. Stop whinging about Coppell's failure in the transfer market last year.

So when are we allowed to voice displeasure about these transfers?

Before the season - you're just being negative
During the season - the players might hear
After the season - move on

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Jun 2008 11:17

papereyes
Thaumagurist*

The season's finished, it's time to move on. Stop whinging about Coppell's failure in the transfer market last year.

So when are we allowed to voice displeasure about these transfers?

During the season - the players might hear, 'Over Reacting'

Sounds good. although added a little bit.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 10 Jun 2008 11:20

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Jun 2008 11:22

Thaumagurist*
Alan Partridge
papereyes So when are we allowed to voice displeasure about these transfers?

I would think it's fine to voice displeasure occasionally, but to fecking go on about it all year - FCUKING BORING. It's why I sometimes bypass the Team forum straight to AE.

The place to be for fresh, witty, inventive humour. Hmmm

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 10 Jun 2008 11:42

Let's berealistic here.

We "only" paid 2 million give or take a few for Fae... every other Primmadonnaship team without exception would look at that as small change. Good riddance all the same - whatever we get back is a bonus.

I watched the record breaking Royals vid the other night and didn't appreciate - or forgot - how influential Bobby C was.... and how absoutely friggin brilliant Blakey was. And I was there at Burnley away..... :-)

I'll forgive Nogs everything for the goal he scored at Tranmere in the play-off semi.... and he was a really good bloke - lived below in a flat in Watford. His brother was bad news though....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 10 Jun 2008 11:48

Thaumagurist*
Alan Partridge
papereyes So when are we allowed to voice displeasure about these transfers?

I would think it's fine to voice displeasure occasionally, but to fecking go on about it all year - FCUKING BORING. It's why I sometimes bypass the Team forum straight to AE.

It might be boring, you might not like it but it doesn't mean its not true.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 10 Jun 2008 11:56

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 10 Jun 2008 11:59

Thaumagurist*
papereyes
Thaumagurist* I would think it's fine to voice displeasure occasionally, but to fecking go on about it all year - FCUKING BORING. It's why I sometimes bypass the Team forum straight to AE.

It might be boring, you might not like it but it doesn't mean its not true.

Did I say it wasn't true? I just said shut up, it's boring.

Spacey la la la I can't hear you la la la

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 10 Jun 2008 12:55

Spacey has got a point though. Everybody knows everybody else's opinions about pretty much every Reading player. Repeating them ad nauseam only serves as a great big "Look at me, I was right and everybody else was wrong", which isn't helpful to anybody.

Especially when I was wrong :cry:

Anyway Fae and Oster gone, Harper (and Hunt?) seemingly going, who knows what Matejovsky's plan is; Reading need a new midfield (still!) I suggest buying up a pair of Arsenal's reserves and pairing them together until they're good enough for VIlla.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Fae

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jun 2008 12:55

toppy
Derbyshire Royal Not seen this elsewhere but feel free to dodd etc

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31052008/ ... e-bid.html

Reading midfielder Emerse Fae is closing on a return to French football with Nice.

Fae was a club record signing for the Royals last summer from Nantes, but struggled to make an impact for Steve Coppell's side.

The 24-year-old made just eight appearances in the Premier League and was sidelined with malaria after playing for Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations.

He was also fined and suspended towards the end of the season after refusing to play for the reserves and branding Coppell "stupid" in an interview.

Following Reading's relegation to the Championship, Fae is widely expected to leave the Madejski Stadium over the summer.

Nice are hoping to sign Fae on a season-long loan, with the option to buy the midfielder for £2.35million.

The French club's chairman Maurice Cohen confirmed he is waiting to reach an agreement with Reading before finalising the move for Fae.

Cohen told AFP: "We have found an agreement with the player and we have almost agreed a deal with the English club."

Good riddance?

Seems we'll be getting most of our money back also
Assuming he plays well enough for them to take up the option, I imagine if he refused to play for their reserves they might decide not to buy him.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 10 Jun 2008 13:23

I would also imagine that when they see he play, they'll also have second thoughts about buying him.

I still struggle to come to terms with how we could have misjudged a player so badly after pursuing him for so long.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jun 2008 13:45

Because not every player manages to adapt to the English way of football?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 10 Jun 2008 13:53

sheshnu Spacey has got a point though. Everybody knows everybody else's opinions about pretty much every Reading player. Repeating them ad nauseam only serves as a great big "Look at me, I was right and everybody else was wrong", which isn't helpful to anybody.

I genuinely believe that if there had been a touch more tolerance of dissenting opinions, then you'd get a lot less of the great big nonsense that you describe.

133 posts