Little joining Pompey

423 posts
Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Little joining Pompey

by Riseley » 23 Jun 2008 14:58

I would carry on playing even if I had only my torso remaining ala Monty Python's Black Knight if Mr Fearn deemed me fit.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 23 Jun 2008 15:45

If I was Blakey I would of taken the money as well. Good luck to him and I hope it works out well for him. We will not miss him because we haven't seen him in the team for such a long time.

kieran

by kieran » 23 Jun 2008 16:02

double d I though Kranjar could play at right mid as well he looked decent in euro 2008

He can but he is too slow. Fantastic skill but cant go past based on speed. He is better suited imo to the middle. We actually play him on the left. :o

kieran

by kieran » 23 Jun 2008 16:06

Roger the Rabbit I'd be amazed if one of Pompey's lower earners is on 40k basic !
The sums simply wouldn;t add up !

But you simply could not begrudge Little that sort of money.

Well,

We have the likes of Nugent, Cranie 15-20k

Hughes, Davis etc circa 25k,

Mendes, Kranjcar, Diop 40 - 50k

Diarra, Defoe, circa 60k

James, Campbell circa 95k

Of course I dont actually know this just what is beleived to be the case.

With Pompey the figures dont have to add up - Gayadamak just funds it!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Jun 2008 16:18

So 'the rumours' think that Little, a 32 year old winger who's played the majority of his career outside of the top flight and who hasn't really kicked a ball in anger for well over 12 months because of injury, will command similar wages to current international 'big signings' like Mendes and Kranjcar. Even though he's being signed on a free transfer, I can't see Pompey throwing that much money at him.

I'm sure we saw a table of clubs wage bills not too long ago. Although they're weren't for the most recent season I'm sure Pompey were only paying around the average total wage bill and I'm not sure those are the sums that don't add up if you're estimates are close.

If you think Kranjcar is slow, just wait for Little to "burst" down your wing!!!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Jun 2008 16:24

Alan Partridge gROFLudge, how can you hold a grudge with someone you've never met? :lol:

I dodn't get some kind of perverse kick out of criticising someone or voicing concerns you know, seriously. I was deeply pissed off at our season ticket prices getting hiked up and next to nothing being spent on new players, something we were told that was where the money was going. I was annoyed at our dillusioned idiot of a chief executive telling the world we could be 'bigger than Arsenal' as we sign Jimmy Kebe from the French 2nd divison for £400,000. If I had seen Reading spent a bit of dosh and buy a couple of decent players, eve if we'd still gone down I personally wouldn't have been nearly as critical towards some people. As it was, it felt as though they never even tried to compete, something that's hard to take.

Come the 10th of August, I'll be there again.

Ok maybe grudge was too strong a word (although the banter on here sometimes does have a 'grudge' feel).

Anyway looking forward to the new season as I think we all are in our heart of hearts...

kieran

by kieran » 23 Jun 2008 16:33

Southbank Old Boy So 'the rumours' think that Little, a 32 year old winger who's played the majority of his career outside of the top flight and who hasn't really kicked a ball in anger for well over 12 months because of injury, will command similar wages to current international 'big signings' like Mendes and Kranjcar. Even though he's being signed on a free transfer, I can't see Pompey throwing that much money at him.

I'm sure we saw a table of clubs wage bills not too long ago. Although they're weren't for the most recent season I'm sure Pompey were only paying around the average total wage bill and I'm not sure those are the sums that don't add up if you're estimates are close.

If you think Kranjcar is slow, just wait for Little to "burst" down your wing!!!

Agreed. It seems a bit of the top. The figure you are referring 2 were for the 2006 season I think. Pompey I think were 6th highest just behind Newcastle. I think the average was destorted by the top 4 who are paying much, much more!

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Jun 2008 16:50

kieran
Southbank Old Boy So 'the rumours' think that Little, a 32 year old winger who's played the majority of his career outside of the top flight and who hasn't really kicked a ball in anger for well over 12 months because of injury, will command similar wages to current international 'big signings' like Mendes and Kranjcar. Even though he's being signed on a free transfer, I can't see Pompey throwing that much money at him.

Agreed. It seems a bit of the top. The figure you are referring 2 were for the 2006 season I think. Pompey I think were 6th highest just behind Newcastle. I think the average was destorted by the top 4 who are paying much, much more!

The average was distorted a lot by the top 4, but Pompey were 11th in that list and £26m behind Newcastle in 5th.

kieran

by kieran » 23 Jun 2008 17:11

Southbank Old Boy
kieran

The average was distorted a lot by the top 4, but Pompey were 11th in that list and £26m behind Newcastle in 5th.

I have found it now. It also states that Reading were one of the highest increases in wages. Of course that was based on the previous campaign in the championship

Streets

by Streets » 24 Jun 2008 07:50

Brain Traysers We will not miss him because we haven't seen him in the team for such a long time.

We'll still miss him, as we will with Harper is this move to West Ham goes through.

They are two of the nicest jovial personalities in the camp. They will, I assure you, be missed!

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 24 Jun 2008 12:54

Streets
Brain Traysers We will not miss him because we haven't seen him in the team for such a long time.

We'll still miss him, as we will with Harper is this move to West Ham goes through.

They are two of the nicest jovial personalities in the camp. They will, I assure you, be missed!
You are right to correct me, what I wrote isn't really what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that we won't miss him much on the pitch as a player because he hasn't been out there for so long. I agree completely that his personality will be hugely missed.

double d

by double d » 24 Jun 2008 13:59

All im going to say if if we had him at right mid we would'nt be where we are and we would not have gone on the 9 game non scoring streak he did get the most assists for us in the last few years and with him crossing and supplying balls we would be still a prem team.

royal.badger

by royal.badger » 25 Jun 2008 11:36

Quote of the year goes to Mr Nick (noit Nicky anymore) Hammond.....

From EP:

Hammond told the Post: “Glen had not played a full game all season and the two years prior
to that there had been a few injury concerns.
“Until the last game of the season we didn’t know whether we would be in the Premier League
or the Championship.
“In fairness to Glen we still don’t know whether he will be fit for the start of the season.
“The process has been conducted in the right way, but he has taken up his option of looking
elsewhere.
“Glen had agreed to sign and we thought it was done, but Portsmouth were obviously keeping
an eye on the situation as we would have done.
“Then when it looked like a deal was being done here Pompey made their move and talked to him. We are disappointed but life goes on. We had a whole season without him last year anyway.”

And we got relegated !!!! Numpty !!!!!

Streets

by Streets » 25 Jun 2008 11:46

He is a bright little thing isn't he!

He said yesterday that we would probably look at signing a right winger for next season now.

No f**king shit.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jun 2008 11:48

royal.badger Quote of the year goes to Mr Nick (noit Nicky anymore) Hammond.....

From EP:

Hammond told the Post: “Glen had not played a full game all season and the two years prior
“Until the last game of the season we didn’t know whether we would be in the Premier League
or the Championship.
“In fairness to Glen we still don’t know whether he will be fit for the start of the season.
“The process has been conducted in the right way, but he has taken up his option of looking
elsewhere.
“Glen had agreed to sign and we thought it was done, but Portsmouth were obviously keeping
“Then when it looked like a deal was being done here Pompey made their move and talked to him. We are disappointed but life goes on. We had a whole season without him last year anyway.”

i am a Numpty !!!!!

anyone who thinks that offering glen a two year extension while he was injured ,still not looking like being fit, at his age, etc etc
is off their rocker

hammonds comments are spot on

glen didnt love us as much as we loved him

get over it

anR

by anR » 25 Jun 2008 12:35

BBC Portsmouth are preparing a bid for Reading defender Nicky Shorey. (Daily Mirror)

They'll have Reading
Playing down each flank!
They'll have Reading
Playing down each flank!
They'll have Reading
Playing down each flank!
It's not got for us it's wank...

:|

royal.badger

by royal.badger » 25 Jun 2008 13:45

brendywendy
royal.badger Quote of the year goes to Mr Nick (noit Nicky anymore) Hammond.....

From EP:

or the Championship.
elsewhere.

What a Numpty !!!!!

anyone who thinks that offering glen a two year extension while he was injured ,still not looking like being fit, at his age, etc etc
is off their rocker

get over it

You carry on nodding to the endless political speak that comes from the man.!!
I will have my different opinion.
Aaarp.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jun 2008 14:54

royal.badger
brendywendy

From EP:

or the Championship.
elsewhere.

What a Numpty !!!!!

is off their rocker

get over it

You carry on nodding to the endless political speak that comes from the man.!!
I will have my different opinion.
Aaarp.

tis one of his many jobs-and he is good at it ill grant you.better than picking players for sure
just cant see anything wrong with what hes saying there
im not sure offering an extended contract to a player who still isnt close to being fit, may never ever be again,was a great idea-
we still offered one when fitness was improved vaguely so we did what we should have
but yet again running the football club properly isnt poular with th efans for some reason

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Jun 2008 18:15

Royal Lady Actually, it may have been Sonko I was thinking of, not Little re the playing on whilst injured in a game.

It's so easy to get them confused isn't it?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jun 2008 18:16

if a referee can mistake a 7 ft tall lion with a football player then anything is possible

423 posts