The Convenient Truth

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Convenient Truth

by brendywendy » 25 Jun 2008 09:52

50 Million LOL

will the hard of thinking please consult the club books before making daft statements.

two for each position is whats required, and will be what we have by the start of the season

yes our best players will leave-but we'll be getting good money for them and 5/6/7/8/9/10 times what we payed for them
we will then buy in players to cover the ones that have gone-i have every confidence that more than 1 million will be spent-perhaps even on one player

i have said all along when people were moaning about the yoof
their real value will be shown if we are relegated-we have been-& theyll have a part to play this season

god i cant wait for the start of the season

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Jun 2008 10:07

brendywendy 50 Million LOL

will the hard of thinking please consult the club books before making daft statements.

two for each position is whats required, and will be what we have by the start of the season

yes our best players will leave-but we'll be getting good money for them and 5/6/7/8/9/10 times what we payed for them
we will then buy in players to cover the ones that have gone-i have every confidence that more than 1 million will be spent-perhaps even on one player

their real value will be shown if we are relegated-we have been-& theyll have a part to play this season

The club has received upwards of £60,000,000 in the past few years only a tiny fraction of which was spent on transfer fees. What makes you so confident that if we receive, say. £10,000,000 in transfer fees, it will all be reinvested into the team.

I'm not saying it won't but history suggests that it will not.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jun 2008 10:13

Schards#2

The club has received upwards of £60,000,000 in the past few years only a tiny fraction of which was spent on transfer fees. What makes you so confident that if we receive, say. £10,000,000 in transfer fees, it will all be reinvested into the team.

woah-nowhere did i say all of it would go back into the team
id be happy if we sold 10 millions worth of talent, and brought 4 million back in-that sounds about right for us to me :wink:

i understand the big figures look very tasty-but really quoting them without the full figures for all other aspects of the business is pretty irrelevant, and only serves to make your arguments look more valid than they truly are.

not that they arent valid-its just saying we received 60M in-and only spent 5 is good spin but....oh anyway, you know what i mean

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 25 Jun 2008 13:44

Barry the bird boggler
All in all, let's wait until towards the end of July and see how we stand before panicking too much about squad size.

Then panic. Massively.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Jun 2008 14:09

Schards#2

the club made a profit of £6 million in the first year of the premiership, and presumably much less in the second year due to lower prize money. To suggest that we have £50 million available is ridiculous.

As for not spending £10 million, history doesn't suggest anything, because we've never been in a position of having a large cash surplus from transfers received before.

I would agree that I don't think we would spend all that £10 million. I just think it'd be because we are crap at finding players to bring in who don't fit into the bargain mould that we are used to.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 25 Jun 2008 14:12

There is also the consideration that whilst we didn't actually spend the money it was there to be spent.

gonesy

by gonesy » 25 Jun 2008 22:41

In Mourinho's first 2 (highly successful) seasons at Chelski, he always raved on about keeping a small squad of no more than 22 players. When he went away from this philosophy, the problems started - millions of pounds of talent warming the bench, mediocre players like Boulahrouz & Ben Haim brought in for 'cover' etc. Remember in the Championship, we can take players on loan at nearly any time. Coppell is fully aware of the situation. He wouldn't have stayed if he didn't think Mr Mad would give him funds to spend on players or if he didn't think he could take Reading back up. Personally, I see no need to worry about things, especially at this stage.

Laura Norder
Location: my loaction is seccret but it is near wallingford ha ha

by Laura Norder » 26 Jun 2008 16:47

im not worred it will be a god saesen and we will win

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Jun 2008 16:52

Laura Norder im not worred it will be a god saesen and we will win

sorted

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 27 Jun 2008 11:04

Rawlie19
Stranded 1 in 4 over 30 doesn't equate to an ageing squad.....taking your shortest list.

We will have a core first team squad of 18/20, pretty much as we did when we were last at this level.

Some in that list will not be there, some will arrive.

That's how it works, spin it negatively if you want, whatever gets you up in the morning.

Last time ATL we were VERY lucky with injuries. The few injuries we did suffer seemed to coincide with somebody strong from that position just coming back to fitness. The chances of being that lucky again are slim.

Last time we had Kitson, Sidwell and Shorey out for a month at the same time, and we had to beat Sheff Utd without Murty too. Little missed the last quarter of the season and Lita ended up breaking his ankle. We were fortunate nothing happened to Ingimarrsson or Sonko, but that's about as far as it goes.

Lord Howe-Howe

by Lord Howe-Howe » 05 Aug 2008 23:51

Not even the start of the season and we are sticking players out of position. Massive squad.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Aug 2008 10:25

Lord Howe-Howe Not even the start of the season and we are sticking players out of position. Massive squad.

probably more to do with not playing shorey and not replacing him yet though isnt it?
rather than a symbol of the impending doom of this club?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Aug 2008 10:30

Lord Howe-Howe Not even the start of the season and we are sticking players out of position. Massive squad.

Hmmmm, and it's only one player. The season hasn't even started yet. :roll:

retro royal

by retro royal » 06 Aug 2008 10:39

we still don't have a good enough right midfielder, kebe is a left sided player

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 06 Aug 2008 10:40

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Schards#2

the club made a profit of £6 million in the first year of the premiership, and presumably much less in the second year due to lower prize money. To suggest that we have £50 million available is ridiculous.

As for not spending £10 million, history doesn't suggest anything, because we've never been in a position of having a large cash surplus from transfers received before.

I would agree that I don't think we would spend all that £10 million. I just think it'd be because we are crap at finding players to bring in who don't fit into the bargain mould that we are used to.

Finally some fcuking sense on here

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Aug 2008 10:47

retro royal we still don't have a good enough right midfielder, kebe is a left sided player

though he is right footed

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 06 Aug 2008 11:19

brendywendy
retro royal we still don't have a good enough right midfielder, kebe is a left sided player

though he is right footed

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 54,00.html

Coppell says:
"He's actually more comfortable on the left wing, but I said to him there's a hole on our right, I've got a number of options for the left so try it on the right."

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Aug 2008 11:30

thought he was right footed, but played mostly on the left in france-hence why hes more comfy there
could be wrong, its been known to happen :wink:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 Aug 2008 13:40

"He's actually more comfortable on the left wing, but I said to him there's a hole on our right, I've got a number of options for the left so try it on the right."

.... although I'll be playong one of them at Left back.

joe999

So, lets get this straight...

by joe999 » 08 Aug 2008 01:10

We get £30m to spend this season, plus £5.5m for Kitson, £3.5m for Shorey

PLUS any left over TV revenue etc. and we have to play STEPHEN HUNT at left back??

and on top of that, theres more of this "Im happy with my squad, I have faith in my players" bollocks

Ive come to the conclusion Reading FC is run by a team of oxf*rd

Sure, with our squad we may well do ok this season... but its nowhere near ideal with our star players going, and Im not ready to return to the premiership until we have a new manager and chairman

Grateful for where theyve got us, but right now, theyve lost it and are oxf*rd useless

Anyone who doesnt agree with me, I dont care

Rant over, I feel better, whether it gets locked or not