Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

223 posts
3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Coppell Looks For Excuses Already

by 3 veesinarow » 02 Jul 2008 12:58

Scarface and Royalee -the New Chuckle Brothers.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Jul 2008 13:03

I am also bored now with anything Glen Little has to say.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Jul 2008 13:25

Southbank Old Boy The bit that stood out for me was "Until we lose – if we lose – players, we won’t know where to fill in the gaps."

Totally accurate yes, a good way to manage the future of any business let alone a football team, no.

I'm sure this is just a throw away line, but I do hope the club have actually got some plans afoot to replace the players most likely to leave. If not it's negligence on their part.

As you intimate, in business it's called succession planning and those businesses that do it well tend to be amongst the higher performers. It's not easy but it is very important and it definitely pays off.

The rest of Coppell's comments appear to be pretty spot on and a common sense approach. At least he recognises that this season is likely to be far from the easy ride that many appear to think it will be.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jul 2008 13:27

he cant win really

people moan that we arent ambitious and positive enough
people moan when we are too ambitious, and over positive
people moan when we try to manage expectations
sometimes the same people moaning about all three

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Jul 2008 13:32

brendywendy he cant win really

There is a big difference between saying we're aiming to be a top ten club or the next Arsenal,
or not trying to sign players because we don't want to rock the boat
and again in saying we've not got any ideas of what to do until our players have been picked off by other clubs

There is a balance, and to be fair some of the comments about building up expectations and ambition haven't come from Coppell himself. Perhaps the senior management at the club need to sit and define what they should be doing and saying so that they're not all pulling in different directions.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 02 Jul 2008 13:38

Maybe they should all just keep quiet and let the team to the talking on the pitch.

Whatever is said gets ripped to shreds / misinterpreted anyway so why not just dump the website, stop doing newspaper articles and radio interviews and go back to where we were ten years ago.

I'm almost serious - the internet in particular has by no means been a wholly positive thing for football fans IMHO.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jul 2008 13:42

Southbank Old Boy

There is a big difference between saying we're aiming to be a top ten club or the next Arsenal,
and again in saying we've not got any ideas of what to do until our players have been picked off by other clubs

There is a balance, and to be fair some of the comments about building up expectations and ambition haven't come from Coppell himself. Perhaps the senior management at the club need to sit and define what they should be doing and saying so that they're not all pulling in different directions.

i couldnt see anything wrong with having that to aim at as a club

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Jul 2008 13:48

brendywendy
Southbank Old Boy

i couldnt see anything wrong with having that to aim at as a club

Aren't all good objectives supposed to be SMART?

I don't see anything in the way we behaved to really back up the objective let alone make it a realistic one.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jul 2008 13:59

in terms of personal objectives yes i believe they are supposed to be SMART.
in terms of company wide/department aims i believe its ok to put things that may just be out side of achieveable.
we had one aim at my last work to"completely eliminate errors from our data"
unachieveable-but ok to aim at

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 02 Jul 2008 14:09

In management gobbledegook there's probably a difference between SMART objectives and goals - goals can be less specific , more strategic.

And I think we can all agree that we could have done with a few more goals last season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jul 2008 14:14

Reading boss Coppell – who has already loaned Emerse Fae to Nice and lost winger Glen Little on a free to Portsmouth – is expecting a ‘busy summer’ and would like want-away stars to now put up or shut up.

He said: “I’ve heard a lot about players wanting to leave or saying that their futures will be better served playing elsewhere, but I haven’t heard many saying that they’re desperate to come back to the club and get back into the Premiership.

“I don’t want that attitude and I’m sure the fans don’t want that attitude. I want players who want to play football for this club and so do the fans.

i cant see anything wrong with these statements

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Jul 2008 15:02

CMRoyal
Southbank Old Boy The bit that stood out for me was "Until we lose – if we lose – players, we won’t know where to fill in the gaps."

Totally accurate yes, a good way to manage the future of any business let alone a football team, no.

I'm sure this is just a throw away line, but I do hope the club have actually got some plans afoot to replace the players most likely to leave. If not it's negligence on their part.

I'm new to this interweb thingummy but I'm learning the jargon. The above is what's known as a "straw man" I believe, ie set up a false premise (that the club won't have plans to replace players should they leave...) in order to knock it down (...if not, it's negligence). I honestly can't see the point of people constantly doing this.

It makes them think they have a point?

See also "not quite disagreeing but framing the points in such a way to make it look like you've disagreed strongly". That's a common one when you dare suggest that some of our players might not have played that well last season ...

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 02 Jul 2008 15:03

brendywendy
Reading boss Coppell – who has already loaned Emerse Fae to Nice and lost winger Glen Little on a free to Portsmouth – is expecting a ‘busy summer’ and would like want-away stars to now put up or shut up.

He said: “I’ve heard a lot about players wanting to leave or saying that their futures will be better served playing elsewhere, but I haven’t heard many saying that they’re desperate to come back to the club and get back into the Premiership.

“I don’t want that attitude and I’m sure the fans don’t want that attitude. I want players who want to play football for this club and so do the fans.

Can't see a hell of a lot right with it.

The longer we faff around waiting for these players to move on, the less time we have to get our team together for next season.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 02 Jul 2008 15:05

The Board's role is to set policy, including long term goals, and to define a strategy to achieve them, but any intelligent Board first confirms with the organisation's operating management (the people on the ground like Coppell) that the goals are realistic with the resources available. Members don't go spouting off grandiose statements like becoming another Arsenal.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 02 Jul 2008 15:06

papereyes
brendywendy

The longer we faff around waiting for these players to move on, the less time we have to get our team together for next season.

So you can't see much right with it, then agree with it !!
A variation on your previous theme....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 02 Jul 2008 15:09

Roger the Rabbit
papereyes
brendywendy

What's so right about a situation where we drift waiting for things to happen? :|

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 02 Jul 2008 15:10

Roger the Rabbit Maybe they should all just keep quiet and let the team to the talking on the pitch.

Whatever is said gets ripped to shreds / misinterpreted anyway so why not just dump the website, stop doing newspaper articles and radio interviews and go back to where we were ten years ago.

I'm almost serious - the internet in particular has by no means been a wholly positive thing for football fans IMHO.

Good point and I suspect Coppell would give his right arm for that to happen. He hates talking to the press and is quite open that it is the worst aspect of his job. It obviously isn't a matter of keeping things out of the public domain as he is very open at fans forums but it is the fourth estate itself. Presumably a sign of being a manager for a long time as a certain scotsman who has kept his job for decades has a similar problem (especially with the BBC).

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 02 Jul 2008 15:11

papereyes
Roger the Rabbit
papereyes

What's so right about a situation where we drift waiting for things to happen? :|

Nothing, what's that got to do with what Coppell said ?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 02 Jul 2008 15:12

papereyes What's so right about a situation where we drift waiting for things to happen? :|

We don't know what things are going on so it's really only boredom and uncertainty at this end.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 02 Jul 2008 15:14

Roger the Rabbit
papereyes

Nothing,

Exactly. But you took the second comment there, didn't you?

Maybe you should pause and have a think about what you're replying to before jumping in.

Just a thought.
Last edited by papereyes on 02 Jul 2008 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

223 posts