Villa Game

143 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RFC -v- AVFC - Match thread

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Aug 2008 17:57

Chillitsphil Thought we played ok, but it is important to remember Villa had a decent number of reserves on.

And we didn't? It's not as if Hunt is first choice left back, and we were without Matejovsky and Bikey. We played a fair portion of the game with Karacan, Pearce, Kelly and Henry on the pitch, neither of whom (I think) have ever started a league game for us.

It'd be daft to get carried away with what we saw today, but it was decent enough.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 02 Aug 2008 18:02

We looked like our usual attacking selves again today.
Doyle and Lita were superb in my opinion as were Karacan, Kebe, Ingi, doobs.

Karacan looks like he could mix it with the big boys easily. Not scared of a challenge and doesn't stop running. Scored aswell.

Doyle and Lita worked their socks off and both of them looked like they ment business. There wasn't one theatrical? dive today from leroy which was pleasing to see. Both him and Doyle ran and ran and ran. Gr8 workrates from each.

Kebe looked very tricky and skillful but maybe just lacks that final pass/cross. But apart from that looks like he'll be superb for us.

Doobs and Ingi both looked solid and were rarely troubled.

Hunty did ok at left back but sometimes was caught out of position. Looks like he could possibly do a job their though.
Karacan was class. Worked very hard and has an eye for a pass. In the right place at the right time for his goal. Was nice seeing a central midfielder bursting forward to help out the front two.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 02 Aug 2008 18:02

Oh yeah and spotted : rg6ers, RL possibly, mini heathrow.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Aug 2008 18:04

How were Harper, Convey and Rosenior.

Commentators were singing the praises of the first two, but all I heard about Rosenior was misplaced passes.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 02 Aug 2008 18:06

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
It'd be daft to get carried away with what we saw today, but it was decent enough.

Agreed, and we played the multiball system again so be prepared for some quick throws and corners.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 02 Aug 2008 18:09

Harps was quieter than usual but still put in a good shift. Karacan out shone him today imho.
Convey looked lively again and did some brilliant driving runs. He showed glimpses of the form from the 05/06 season which was nice to see. He still is a bit lightweight though if im being honest.
Rosenior looked ok but some of his pasing was woeful! Defended ok but again sometimes looked shaky.

Had some twats behind me who didn't who the feck any of the players were. One example was when Karacan came on one of them said " I told you Matejovsky was playing" :evil:

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 02 Aug 2008 18:10

overall today the performance was reallly good
our defence was strong
midfield was stable
and the sgtrikers were getting shots on targets
but the players that sttood out was lita karacan ingi doobs and kebes dribbling was quite good but crossing and shooting let him down

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 02 Aug 2008 18:15

Impressed with Kebe and Karacan today. Thought Lita also looked alot better and showed the strengh he has and the good player that he is. Really unsure about Hunt at left back thought...Doesn't look like he knows what he's doing alot of the time. All in all though a good result imo.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Aug 2008 18:15

What's the betting that the players who started the match will be our first choice starters for the first couple of games until Matejovsky and Bikey are back? I thought the youngsters did well - plus they really want to impress, so will have a bit of fire in their bellies which has been sadly lacking in certain quarters last season. If having Noel Hunt here means that Stephen Hunt is more settled, then that's a bonus in my book. Doyle/Long are happy to stay here I think, and are the sort of hardworking players who will do their best to try and get us promoted. Lita looked up for it, maybe Kitson going will have stabilised him a bit now. If we can't buy any more players, I'd be fairly happy with what we've got on today's showing.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Aug 2008 18:16

Cricket called off at 12 pm made me reconsider my day and i ended up at the Madejski Playhouse for an afternoon's comedy starring Jimmy Kebe.

In all honesty Reading played alright for the most part, typical Reading performance, there was nothing new, nothing inventive, no new players or tactics, just 4-4-2, same players and nothing new learnt for me, for the first half an hour anyway. Then Cisse got injured and I got to see Karacan play for an hour, must say very impressed. He's like Harper in terms of he gets uo and down the pitch well, but he's got an eye for a pass and played some lovely slide rule passes in particular in the 2nd half. He likes a tackle as well and got involved. I like him and would prefer him to Cisse, not only that but I thought he showed Harper up for the pretty average footballer he is.

I prefer Hunt at left back than at left midfield although winced when he stood up for the penalty, utterly obvious it was going to be saved. I thought our 2 centre halves were excellent on the whole, Villa created chances mainly down our flanks not much change from Ivar and Doobs.

Going forward Doyle started slowly but got into the game more in the 2nd half and I was impressed with Lita, thought he looked sharp and he forced a couple of good saves from the excellent Friedel. Best signing of the summer anywhere. I also though Convey looked much better today than I've seen him in a while, and while it's quite clear Kebe has something about him, he's quick, he's got a bit of trickery. His crossing, passing and final end product just has to improve. He should have scored twice first and foremost and a few times he got into good positions but couldn't find the end cross.

In the 2nd half we got treated to a few changes, the young lad Kelly fitted in ok at right back with Rosenior (i still can't make my mind up on him) going to left back, Pearce replaced Ivar, Sonko for Duberry who got a knock right on half time, N Hunt for Lita, Long for Doyle and Henry for Kebe (think that's it!)

So the last 15mins or so was quite interesting, immediately a long punt was missed by the atrocious Zat Knight, Noel Hunt missed the ball with his first touch, got a lucky bounce off the defender and was left with Friedel to beat from 6 yards, no one near him and he hit the post, shocking miss. I don't recall him touching the ball after that moment.

Villa scored a deserved equaliser shortly after when a cross from the right was turned in at the near post. We had 1 more chance when Henry's corner was headed back in by Pearce and Harper fluffed the chance from 6 yards, a mixture of the defender on the line and Friedel kept it out. Harper should have scored.

Ultimately after the rain stopped and the sun came out, it was a nice enough day, 2 final points, the new shop layout is very good, i like that, the new kit, the back looks SHIT.

Seeing as though friendlies are about learning new things about players, I think the major thing is in Karacan we actually have a young player that doesn't look 1 iota out of place in the first team. Other than that not a great deal. Decent performance, decent result but not filled with mass excitemnt or hope for the new season, I don't think there is enough there to really challenge the top 2 places.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 02 Aug 2008 18:21

Royal Lady What's the betting that the players who started the match will be our first choice starters for the first couple of games until Matejovsky and Bikey are back? I thought the youngsters did well - plus they really want to impress, so will have a bit of fire in their bellies which has been sadly lacking in certain quarters last season. If having Noel Hunt here means that Stephen Hunt is more settled, then that's a bonus in my book. Doyle/Long are happy to stay here I think, and are the sort of hardworking players who will do their best to try and get us promoted. Lita looked up for it, maybe Kitson going will have stabilised him a bit now. If we can't buy any more players, I'd be fairly happy with what we've got on today's showing.

'greed...And I believe that Coppell to is beginning to like Karacan as well as he is giving him the chance and fair play to the lad as he has taken it.

Anyone know whats wrong with Cisse?

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 02 Aug 2008 18:25

I was really encouraged by today.

I thought we put in a solid performance for a friendly. Doyle and Lita looked confident, and caused a number of problems, and Lita and Noel looked HUNGRY for the ball and the scoring opportunity - something we really lacked last year with Kitson in midfield and Doyle dropping off.

Kebe looked good in midfield. He made some very strong runs, and Rosenior supported well. They did some nice overlapping as well, which reminded me of the Murty/Little partnership.

There were some great crosses coming in from midfield into the box, which again we lacked last season and gave us some good opportunities.

Doobs and Ingi were strong in central defence, and Pearce didn't look bad, neither did Sonko, which gives me confidence that we will overcome our wandering defence which we had last year.

The highlight for me was seeing 4 members of the Academy playing today. Kelly didn't quite look up to it yet, and Henry didn't do much. Pearce looked good though, and as for Karakan - based on today, I think we may well see him being a strong part of our squad next year. He was superb.

I'm feeling good about this season. Bring on Brum, Wolves, Charlton, Watford, Fake Hoops etc. We look ready.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Aug 2008 18:27

Thanks guys, interesting write ups

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 02 Aug 2008 18:31

Darren Caskey's Dietician I was really encouraged by today.

I thought we put in a solid performance for a friendly. Doyle and Lita looked confident, and caused a number of problems, and Lita and Noel looked HUNGRY for the ball and the scoring opportunity - something we really lacked last year with Kitson in midfield and Doyle dropping off.

Kebe looked good in midfield. He made some very strong runs, and Rosenior supported well. They did some nice overlapping as well, which reminded me of the Murty/Little partnership.

There were some great crosses coming in from midfield into the box, which again we lacked last season and gave us some good opportunities.

Doobs and Ingi were strong in central defence, and Pearce didn't look bad, neither did Sonko, which gives me confidence that we will overcome our wandering defence which we had last year.

The highlight for me was seeing 4 members of the Academy playing today. Kelly didn't quite look up to it yet, and Henry didn't do much. Pearce looked good though, and as for Karakan - based on today, I think we may well see him being a strong part of our squad next year. He was superb.

I'm feeling good about this season. Bring on Brum, Wolves, Charlton, Watford, Fake Hoops etc. We look ready.

Agreed, add Conveys first half into that aswell, he looked really up for it.

I hadn't really seen Kebe play until today but he impressed me quite alot. Final ball was lacking, but im sure that will come.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 02 Aug 2008 18:41

Omg whats up with everyone this evening people are being positive! :shock: ;)

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 02 Aug 2008 18:49

What he said. The real revelation was Kebe, who no longer looks like he's trying too hard to impress. He's not the finished article by any means (probably never will be) but he's going to cause some Championship defences real problems. Lita looked really up for it, as well.

My only real worry is at left-back. Hunt was just a fill-in, and we completely lost shape when Rosenior went to play there. Can't believe we'll be starting the season without a recognised L-B.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Aug 2008 18:51

CMRoyal

What he said. The real revelation was Kebe, who no longer looks like he's trying too hard to impress. He's not the finished article by any means (probably never will be) but he's going to cause some Championship defences real problems. Lita looked really up for it, as well.

My only real worry is at left-back. Hunt was just a fill-in, and we completely lost shape when Rosenior went to play there. Can't believe we'll be starting the season without a recognised L-B.

It is the Reading way though, I mean which other team in the world has played an entire season without a recognised right midfielder?! :|

We MIGHT be able to get a replacement in before the season starts sounds as though they have 1 or 2 possible targets.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 02 Aug 2008 19:03

Exactly as AP said...

Highlights:
Karacan - will be like having a young Siddy. Superb.
Lita/Doyle - very up for it. Looked happy and ran and ran.
Pearce - very impressive last 15 mins.

Lowlights:
Kebe - flatters to deceive. First touch of a rapist.
Rosenior - not convincing.
Hunt - hope to god the LB that Coppell has lined up signs tomorrow.

Lots of positive comments about Convey but depite lots of positive running he is still lightweight and his final product not penetrating enough.

Villa should have been 4-2 up at half time except for poor finishing and Marcus made one great stop in second half.

Took wife and our three young girls today as we are over here on holiday and they thoroughly enjoyed it. Youngest even got to snog Kingsley. She's 4. See - there is a point to friendlies.

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 02 Aug 2008 19:04

To be fair to Sir Steve, from what he said on BBCRB afterwards, Shorey will go soon and we will spend big (for Reading) on a replacement... but he doesn't want to do that until he's sure someone is going to take Shorey. And the price offered for Shorey last week (presumably Portsmouth or Villa) isn't enough. So we go into the season either with a depressed Shorey or (more likely) we will have to cope with the first few games until his replacement arrives. Not ideal, but it's what happens when you get relegated.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Aug 2008 19:10

Alan Partridge In all honesty Reading played alright for the most part, typical Reading performance, there was nothing new, nothing inventive, no new players or tactics, just 4-4-2, same players and nothing new learnt for me, for the first half an hour anyway. Then Cisse got injured and I got to see Karacan play for an hour, must say very impressed. He's like Harper in terms of he gets uo and down the pitch well, but he's got an eye for a pass and played some lovely slide rule passes in particular in the 2nd half. He likes a tackle as well and got involved. I like him and would prefer him to Cisse, not only that but I thought he showed Harper up for the pretty average footballer he is.

So average that it looks likely that a PL manager will pay £4.5M for him!! :roll:

143 posts