To All Those Who Are Blaming Lack Of Funds For Inactivity...

105 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

To All Those Who Are Blaming Lack Of Funds For Inactivity...

by Royalee » 08 Aug 2008 22:35

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: To All Those Who Are Blaming Lack Of Funds For Inactivity...

by rfcjoe » 08 Aug 2008 22:40

No-one ever said lack of funds, we said lack of ambiton.

Cheers.

Next.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2008 22:42

Not exactly new news. And certainly won't change the mind of anyone blaming Madejski. Quotes like that have been around for the last two or three years and still people like Jay think we arn't spending because Mr Mad is tight.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Aug 2008 22:45

Ian Royal Not exactly new news. And certainly won't change the mind of anyone blaming Madejski. Quotes like that have been around for the last two or three years and still people like Jay think we arn't spending because Mr Mad is tight.

I know, but I thought I'd try and put extra emphasis on it in one last hope that the intellectual cripples on here would understand that the reason we are not signing players is not the chairman, otherwise we'd not have signed anyone in eighteen bloody years.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2008 22:51

I very rarely agree with you, and I get the feeling this is all designed as a way of blaming things solely on Coppell, but on this specific subject of our lack of spending not being his Madej's fault, I agree.

But you're pissing into the wind with it.

Lord Howe-Howe

by Lord Howe-Howe » 08 Aug 2008 23:23

Has Coppell ever criticised Madejski? Is he going to come out and say he isn't given any money. I see the propaganda machine has won a few people over.

"Last year I said we had too many players, and we signed players who didn't make their potential."

Blimey. Last year I thought we were getting ready for Europe. We were worried that we would have too large of a squad, but at the same time, we played majority of the season without a proper right midfielder. We must have one of the least competitive squads in the league.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 08 Aug 2008 23:27

We had a transfer budget of £0 until we sold Kitson, as was revealed at a shareholders meeting just before he left.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Aug 2008 01:36

Rev Algenon Stickleback H We had a transfer budget of £0 until we sold Kitson,

Thats was disgusts me the most. We have two years in the prem of spending peanuts and the money dissapears? Laughable management of this football club.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 09 Aug 2008 07:50

FiNeRaIn
Rev Algenon Stickleback H We had a transfer budget of £0 until we sold Kitson,

Thats was disgusts me the most. We have two years in the prem of spending peanuts and the money dissapears? Laughable management of this football club.

As well as the often rolled out quip of "The chairman will consider any request..." etc. I fail to understand what kind of message RFC are sending out these days. Are we a well run club with money to spend or are we a club struggling with the demotion from the Premiership and unable to compete with the likes of Birmingham or indeed any other club which has spent over £600k in the Summer. Which is it? (It's not like we pushed the boat out massively whilst in the Prem.)

I can't believe in any way shape or form that there are no players out there in the wide world of football that are a) available b) better than what we have c) financially obtainable.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Aug 2008 08:18

I don't think the issue is that we havent got money to spend - for many of the reasons provided above, for gods sake we should have money to spend !!

The issue is how much money we have to spend - £5.5m v £600k out and then for Shorey £3.5m in v £300K out???

In addition, we have taken a huge amount of players of the wage bill - so looking across everything - we are being led a line, to pacify the fans- Either there are sufficient funds there or there aren't, and we dont know. If its the latter then questions should be asked about where all the money has gone, because the sums just dont add up.

Also worries me that Coppell is saying is a suitable offer comes in for any of our players we will put it to the player, and then in the next breathe he is saying we are not a selling club - we cdont need to sell any of our players

Its easy to understand why supporters are totally bemused

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 Aug 2008 08:29

What does annoy me is when I click on the link to Reading FC I can't just click back to HNA without going around the houses. :evil:

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 09 Aug 2008 08:43

The other issue is showing the players we have and those we are trying to attract (if they really exist!) that we have ambition. In the last few seasons, we have lost :

Our Best Full Back
Our Best Central midfielder
Our Best Winger
Our Best All Round Forward

and we have replaced them with??

OK Left Back only recently gone but shows our lack of any strength in depth that we have to employ a winger to fill it
Marek is a creative midfielder and not a Steve Sidwell - and Cisse definitely isnt' a SS
Kebbe for Little ..... he will never be able to do what Little could do
Noel Hunt for Kitson - in the ilk of his brother so definitely no Kitson

My other big issue is that two of our best dead ball players Shorey and Little have gone - where does our creativity in these situations come from now? and dont say Hunt, he's bloody useless as you can tell from his spot kicks

All in all not replacing this quality will prove our key players will prove our undoing

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Aug 2008 08:50

Repeating a fact which is blatant to a 5 year old is like banging your head on a brick wall sometimes on HNA.

For the umpteenth time funds may well be/have been available (funny how they're all of a sudden available now, after Shorey has gone and we OBVIOUSLY need a replacement and a few million is a drop in the ocean compared to what we've been getting so far but not spending, but that's another matter.... and where's the decent replacement for Kitson etc, eh Madejski? Why does Coppell only specify a replacement for Shorey?). Assuming there are good answers for the above the main issue is, and always has been our wage structure and for that Madejski is to blame (or praise, who knows?). No point saying money is/was available if you couldn't use it in any meaningful way because of a notoriously poor wage structure. In that case I donate all my money to a charity of anyone's choice, as long as the people you employ to carry out the aid word get paid no more than 1p per 10 years. But the money is there guys, honest.

Same old story. Same old HNA bizarre inability to grasp a no-brainer concept.

Sorry but it really is getting a little tiring.

Bye bye guys: enjoy 'discussing' this 'issue' :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Aug 2008 10:34

The English langauge is a marvelous thing. So many combinations available.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 09 Aug 2008 10:51

Streets

by Streets » 09 Aug 2008 10:56

He has funds, of course he has funds, but what has he got and is it enough to go and get the players he wants? (Maybe a Mattock for £1.5m for example - probably not. But I'm sure he has £700k available for left back).

Just like we heard for the past three summers now. Coppell has money, yadda yadda yadda. So why aren't we spending it? Is it because Coppell is losing his senses? (no, I don't agree he's the problem) or is it that what is avilable is peanuts and Coppell can't get a good enough player with what he has?

I think the latter. But it's all opinions.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Aug 2008 11:17

I'd say it was the latter too, Jay. If Coppell had millions at his disposal last year and didn't spend it and we went down, why would Madejski keep him on? Why didn't Madejski sack him due to incompetence, especially when Madejski says he wants us to be in PL and Howe says we could be as big as Arsenal or whatever he said. I'll tell you why he didn't sack him, why he breathed a sigh of relief when Coppell decided to stay of his own accord - because Madejski isn't giving him much money to play with at all and he knows as well as we do that very few other managers would accept that position and not complain publicly about it. Coppell is a minor marvel for what he has done at this club on a very limited budget and with such a strict wage structure imho. If Madejski had given Coppell a few million to play with, we'd have bought a left back last season who would have been equal to Shorey (when Shorey was playing at his best) - this player would have either pushed Shorey for his place, and made Shorey decide he wanted to play for us, or would have replaced Shorey last season anyway. Coppell saying all this rhetoric about he likes to stay loyal to his players, we don't need to strengthen the squad was, to my mind, covering up for the fact that he didn't exactly have much money to change things.

Streets

by Streets » 09 Aug 2008 11:31

Royal Lady I'd say it was the latter too, Jay. If Coppell had millions at his disposal last year and didn't spend it and we went down, why would Madejski keep him on? Why didn't Madejski sack him due to incompetence, especially when Madejski says he wants us to be in PL and Howe says we could be as big as Arsenal or whatever he said. I'll tell you why he didn't sack him, why he breathed a sigh of relief when Coppell decided to stay of his own accord - because Madejski isn't giving him much money to play with at all and he knows as well as we do that very few other managers would accept that position and not complain publicly about it. Coppell is a minor marvel for what he has done at this club on a very limited budget and with such a strict wage structure imho. If Madejski had given Coppell a few million to play with, we'd have bought a left back last season who would have been equal to Shorey (when Shorey was playing at his best) - this player would have either pushed Shorey for his place, and made Shorey decide he wanted to play for us, or would have replaced Shorey last season anyway. Coppell saying all this rhetoric about he likes to stay loyal to his players, we don't need to strengthen the squad was, to my mind, covering up for the fact that he didn't exactly have much money to change things.

Couldn't agree more!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Aug 2008 11:33

Why would Madejski keep him on? Pretty bloody obvious, he's costing him sod all!!! no big wages, no big fees goes back into the JM retirement fund.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Aug 2008 11:38

Er yeah AP - that was kind of the point I was making too!

105 posts