The Over - Confidence thread

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Over - Confidence thread

by Muskrat » 14 Aug 2008 13:46

You can add me to that list Strap, although probably with not quite the same vitriol.

I see this being a wasted season (some would call it consolidation). Our team is not good enough for automatic promotion and is highly unlikely to challenge for a play off place. Mid table should be acheivable but I don't say that with any degree of confidence. And on the subject of confidence, if that goes from the side then we could even be on the fringe of another relegation battle.

So that leaves us one further season with the benefit of parachute payments before we have to cut our cloth in an even more miserly fashion.

Please Reading - act now to correct the obvious deficiencies in the side - 17 days to go, the clock is ticking...

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Aug 2008 14:01

I think the phrase is transitional season.

Its just frustration, really. There's no common-sense argument against spending a bit of money except that it is not what we've done. There's no common sense argument against playing our younger players except that it is not what we've done.

If we don't spend money, if we are cutting our cloth that way, then play the kids. What do we have to lose?

And if we don't want to play the kids, why persist with players and ideas that have not performed that well over the last season? Why not try to bring in these "young and hungry" players that we were told so much about.

The club appear to be doing neither possibility and it hardly raises the pulse, does it?

And I would be more positive IF I was given something to be positive about. Before 05/06, I said that the side did not look like Coppell's side and that it would be there or thereabouts because the players were could but no higher because it didn't seem to have a direction. Within a week of that being published, we signed Boris and Leroy. You could see what the club were trying to do and how they were going to do it. I really don't get that feeling this season.

I also find an irony in the posters trying to comment on the results and not the performance. Although football is, after all, a stochastic process, there are usually great big hints as to how well a team will do in terms of results if you look at how they play, the way they play and their performances.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 14 Aug 2008 14:03

strap
Schards#2 I see, literally, nothing to be optimistic about.

We've seen two games where the team looks poor and devoid of ideas. The management show no signs of venturing into the transfer market and our most creative player is out for 8 weeks which will probably end up being 4 months.

Assuming we don't perform, our few remaining "name" players will be looking for the exit if not by the end of August, then certainly in January.

I predict boos and Madejski out chants within weeks and have, again, backed Reading to be relegated as the 40/1 on offer seems very generous to me.

Seems there's at least 4 of us who can see tyhrough the bullshit spouted my Mr Ego, Sir Steve and Wally Hammond then! Schards#s, AP, Floyd and myself. Would hazard a guess we're a little older than many of the RTG's currently spouting on about how we're certs for promotion!! What a laugh!! Actually it's not in the least bit funny. Mickey Mouse FC run by disinterested and tired management who would all rather be doing something else.

Move over if you don't have the stomach or balls for the fight ahead.

Forest 2 divs below us last year, and out gunned us by 20 shots to 4 with only 1 striker, and Dagenham who were non-leage 2 years ago and deserved to beat us on Tuesday!! Wake up Mr Ego, Sir Steve and Wally Hammond!!! The rhetoric brigade trumpet that we are unbeaten this season - the realists point out we've played cr@p!! Look at the Emporer's new cloths!! What a load of oxf*rd bullshit cr@p.

Roll on Plymouth, when HOPEFULLY all the pre-seaosn cobwebs would have been blown away, and we get to see a REAL RFC team playing proper football the way RFC used to play! Oh sorry, forgot we have Kebe and Cisse in the side, and our only signing will be in the stands. Plus ca change ....

And me as well!

Always said that Madejski's an egotistical pcunt.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Aug 2008 14:26

Alan Partridge
Royal Rother :lol: at AP's obsession!!

You love it :lol:

"Officially Bored", "Over-Reaction" and "Sensible and Realistic" - The 3 most aped phrases from last season.... I'll see what I can come up with in 2008/9.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 14 Aug 2008 14:28

I liked "Officially bored"

It was funny because it was true.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 14 Aug 2008 14:28

Royal Rother
Alan Partridge
Royal Rother :lol: at AP's obsession!!

You love it :lol:

"Officially Bored", "Over-Reaction" and "Sensible and Realistic" - The 3 most aped phrases from last season.... I'll see what I can come up with in 2008/9.

Silence would be nice.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Aug 2008 14:29

strap
Roll on Plymouth, when HOPEFULLY all the pre-seaosn cobwebs would have been blown away, and we get to see a REAL RFC team playing proper football the way RFC used to play! Oh sorry, forgot we have Kebe and Cisse in the side, and our only signing will be in the stands. Plus ca change ....

Tell us oh wise one, exactly when was this period of which you speak ?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Aug 2008 14:31

papereyes I liked "Officially bored"

I'm a 'sensible and realistic' fan myself. 8)

Rother - trendsetter.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 14 Aug 2008 14:41

Alan Partridge

Rother - trendsetter.

I prefer knee-jerking and ranting, personally.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2008 14:46

As arrogant, pompous and condescending as he is, Rother does usually talk relatively sensible and intelligent sense. He's not always right, but then no one is.

As always I'd rather be cautiously optimistic, than unnecessarily negative when there is nothing that any of us can to do improve things, other than the possibility of vocally getting behind the team and offering support.

I've done my time time railing against the idiocy and shitness of the club and it'll take something truely awful to get me back that way (relegation fight), because it isn't good for one's health and it makes having an interest in football to help enjoy life rather counter productive.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Aug 2008 14:47

cmonurz
Alan Partridge

Rother - trendsetter.

I prefer knee-jerking and ranting, personally.

I like the likes of you, Strap, AP and Floyd. I'd be really pissed off and negative if it wasn't for your reactions, which I perceive as over the top.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 14 Aug 2008 15:01

What is about football?

I would never go to the theatre or a cinema thinking "this is going to be complete rubbish", I just wouldn't go. But that's exactly what i'm going to be doing on Saturday, spending large amounts of time and money on something I think will be garbage.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Aug 2008 15:05

Schards#2 What is about football?

I would never go to the theatre or a cinema thinking "this is going to be complete rubbish", I just wouldn't go. But that's exactly what i'm going to be doing on Saturday, spending large amounts of time and money on something I think will be garbage.

LOLoyaLOLty. For that 1 in 10 game where everything clicks and you see a hum-dinger of a game/result.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 14 Aug 2008 15:14

At the moment, watching the game on teletext is more enjoyable.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 Aug 2008 15:15

Schards#2 What is about football?

When going to the theatre you usually listen to people who've been before and recommend it. And almost without fail the performance will be good and consistent every time you go.

:shock:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Aug 2008 16:07

Ian Royal As arrogant, pompous and condescending as he is, Rother...

All popular misconceptions... next thing you'll be accusing me of sexual perversions. :cry:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 14 Aug 2008 16:44

cmonurz those questioning the club were widely abused
The persecution complex some of you have is truly comical. It's a forum for debate and sometimes it reduces to a slanging match. Big deal.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 Aug 2008 17:00

strap Seems there's at least 4 of us who can see tyhrough the bullshit spouted my Mr Ego, Sir Steve and Wally Hammond then! Schards#s, AP, Floyd and myself. Would hazard a guess we're a little older than many of the RTG's currently spouting on about how we're certs for promotion!! What a laugh!! Actually it's not in the least bit funny. Mickey Mouse FC run by disinterested and tired management who would all rather be doing something else.

Oh Strap, you've missed some of my rantings. Either I've gone on too much and folk can't be bothered to read it all, or there's little argument for what I put before the board (this board, not THE board, they wouldn't fcuking listen to any of us.)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Aug 2008 17:02

I believe that the current squad is the best we have ever had at the start of a football league (i.e.non PL) season apart from the one that started 2005/6.

Whilst it is unlikely that we will (or anyone) will reach 106 again I do think that somewhere between 80 and 90 points is achievable and this would in most seasons be enough for automatic promotion.

The start of the season will be all important as always but if we are in contention after 10 or so games I will be confident of a good season.

No doubt I will be slagged off as usual but my track record is not that bad - predicted promotion in 2005/6 and top 10 in 2006/7. Thought we would just survive last year and was ridiculed all year for being positive - but we only missed out be 3 goals - so it was close.

I will now put my tin hat on and wait for the abuse.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Aug 2008 17:04

Ian Royal I like the likes of you, Strap, AP and Floyd. I'd be really pissed off and negative if it wasn't for your reactions, which I perceive as over the top.

I think you forgot Royalee! No honestly I don't mind criticism and negativity when it is constructive and intelligent. For the most part AP and Floyd do this. Strap just foams at the mouth (sorry Strap). Royalee is just entertaining...

Oh and do I think we can go up? Well yes but the situation is a bit worrying at the moment. Coppell just isn't inspiring confidence in his decisions and tactics. A win on saturday would really improve the atmosphere around the club...