Coppell out!

nev monkey

Coppell out!

by nev monkey » 16 Aug 2008 10:07

Thought i'd be the first to start it, couldn't wait until 5pm :lol:

79Royal

Re: Coppell out!

by 79Royal » 16 Aug 2008 10:24

And bring in who? A new manager will not have anymore money to spend than Coppell has. Madejski is taking his money whilst he can, because he knows that he might not get it back from the sale of the club.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2008 10:25

Well I certainly dont want Coppell out - just some signs that he has truly learned the lessons of last season by freshening up the squad by using the youth and/or getting in some new players.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 16 Aug 2008 10:28

I must not be loyal to players...............when they do not perform consistantly.

nev monkey

by nev monkey » 16 Aug 2008 10:54

Platypuss Well I certainly dont want Coppell out - just some signs that he has truly learned the lessons of last season by freshening up the squad by using the youth and/or getting in some new players.

Ok, so we all know from the past few seasons that's not going to happen. He is too loyal & he won't change that. If he does, then brilliant, i'm happy to have him here. However, you all know that the same team will start today & the same excuses will happen at 5pm.

The team that won the Championship is light years beyond the one that started last Sunday. We have not even nearly replaced Sidwell, Kebe isn't fit to kiss Little's boots & S Hunt can't replace Shorey. Convey is not the same player, Harper is lost without Sidwell next to him (or similar)& Doyle looks like he's packinh his bags for Villa. We needed to buy some quality to replace these players & we haven't. We've just made do & that won't do.

I hope i'm wrong, I hope we tear Plymouth to pieces & go onto win the league.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2008 11:49

79Royal And bring in who? A new manager will not have anymore money to spend than Coppell has. Madejski is taking his money whilst he can, because he knows that he might not get it back from the sale of the club.

Yet another who blames the Chairman when everything points towards the manager :|

It has got nothing to do with how much money Coppell has got to spend and everything to with him not spending it.

He didn't spend it last season and we got relegated.

He hasn't spent it this season and if we're not amongst the early front runners he should be sacked.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2008 12:24

Another thread that will end up going round in circles. FWIW my view is that the money made available to Coppell has not been nearly enough to allow us to get the right calibre of player in. As I've now said ad infinitum, if Coppell had refused to spend all the millions that Madejski made available, and this helped to relegate us, why on earth hasn't Madejski sacked him? Madejski has been the one blabbing about wanting to be an established PL team and "We won't be next" - so, surely, he'd have sacked him and blamed him for us being relegated. Whilst he may have made money available - it might only have been £2 million or something, so he's factually correct in what he says about money being available, but the money isn't enough for Coppell to do anything tangible with it. IMO.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 16 Aug 2008 12:28

Coppell's losing it!!

One (forced) substitution in 180 mins of football. Id allow it if the football was awesome, but honestly!!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2008 13:04

Royal Lady Another thread that will end up going round in circles. FWIW my view is that the money made available to Coppell has not been nearly enough to allow us to get the right calibre of player in. As I've now said ad infinitum, if Coppell had refused to spend all the millions that Madejski made available, and this helped to relegate us, why on earth hasn't Madejski sacked him? Madejski has been the one blabbing about wanting to be an established PL team and "We won't be next" - so, surely, he'd have sacked him and blamed him for us being relegated. Whilst he may have made money available - it might only have been £2 million or something, so he's factually correct in what he says about money being available, but the money isn't enough for Coppell to do anything tangible with it. IMO.

So, even if we assume that Nick Hammond was lieing when he said that the proceeds of Kitson's transfer was being given to Coppell to spend on the squad and that the rest of his budget for the season is zero, how many other Championship managers would fail to spend the notional £2m that you've come up with?

Some managers at this level can only dream of having this kind of money to spend and wouldn't have the slightest problem spending a fraction of it effectively.

We once had a manager who bought the likes of Ingimarrson, Sonko, Gunnarsson, Hunt, Kitson, Doyle and Long for next to nothing and ended up with 106pts in this division .........................what the fcuk happened to him?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2008 13:10

If there are no left backs, for example, available to us within our price range and wage structure, I'd venture any other manager in Coppell's position would also be unable to purchase the player/s he wants. Still begs the question however, if Coppell has refused to spend all the many millions previously available to him last season, why hasn't Madejski sacked him??

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2008 13:12

He's had a year to find a left back to replace Shorey and chose to do nothing until he left.

Do you think Hammond lied about Kitson's fee being made available to Coppell?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2008 13:15

I doubt Hammond lied. But I do think the "there's money available" rhetoric that was spouted last season was not as clear cut as it was purported to be. Even if there's £4 million in the kitty for Coppell to spend, which left back/s do you think we should go after? Plus, of course we need more strength in midfield and possibly at the back, so if there's only £4million in total to spend on whichever number of players Coppell needs, it clearly limits his choice, wouldn't you say?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2008 13:20

Woodcote Royal He's had a year to find a left back to replace Shorey and chose to do nothing until he left.

Did he say how much of the fee or how much for wages?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2008 13:22

Woodcote Royal He's had a year to find a left back to replace Shorey and chose to do nothing until he left.

I doubt very much nothing has been done. Not enough and too slowly is very difficult to argue against. But nothing? I can't believe thats the case. No evidence for and a little evidence against.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2008 13:24

nev monkey
Platypuss Well I certainly dont want Coppell out - just some signs that he has truly learned the lessons of last season by freshening up the squad by using the youth and/or getting in some new players.

Ok, so we all know from the past few seasons that's not going to happen. He is too loyal & he won't change that. If he does, then brilliant, i'm happy to have him here. However, you all know that the same team will start today & the same excuses will happen at 5pm.

Still plenty of the window left - no need to knee-jerk quite yet.

However if we're struggling in September while still persevering with Hunt at Left back and a midfeld of Convey, Cisse, Harper and Kebe then the natives will have every right to be restless.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2008 13:25

Royal Lady I doubt Hammond lied. But I do think the "there's money available" rhetoric that was spouted last season was not as clear cut as it was purported to be. Even if there's £4 million in the kitty for Coppell to spend, which left back/s do you think we should go after? Plus, of course we need more strength in midfield and possibly at the back, so if there's only £4million in total to spend on whichever number of players Coppell needs, it clearly limits his choice, wouldn't you say?

We aren't in the Premiership anymore!

There are plenty of players that cost less than a million and it's not as if we didn't know Shorey was leaving.

Those who run this club aren't perfect but when the Chairman says there's money available his managers aren't usually slow in spending some..............apart from Steve Coppell........................for the last 2 seasons.

Last season he said he had faith in his players and we were relegated.

Given his past record I can see why the Chairman didn't sack him and why some fans begged him to stay but if the same strategy fails again I think he'll be gone by October.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 16 Aug 2008 13:28

Royal Lady If there are no left backs, for example, available to us within our price range and wage structure, I'd venture any other manager in Coppell's position would also be unable to purchase the player/s he wants. Still begs the question however, if Coppell has refused to spend all the many millions previously available to him last season, why hasn't Madejski sacked him??

Because any chairman's dream is a manager that can succeed without spending any money. The manager and board are stuck in a quandary, Coppell (you would think) knows the type of player he would like but he's been stung by the likes of Fae and Halford. The board won't wish to release such funds for 'failures'. Therefore, now we're at a lower level those risks to spend high are magnified. If the remaining amount left is lower, then Coppell can't possibly 'improve' the squad; so doesn't.

That's one theory...the other and it's my personal theory, is that Coppell just doesn't know what to do in the transfer market in the current climate. Our scouting system is poor, either that or we're beaten to the punch by clubs who will take more of a gamble than our conservative Chairman.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2008 13:34

Ian Royal

I doubt very much nothing has been done. Not enough and too slowly is very difficult to argue against. But nothing? I can't believe thats the case. No evidence for and a little evidence against.

We know Shorey wanted to leave since last summer and Coppell said he didn't want to buy another left back until he'd gone, also stating that he still hoped he wouldn't leave.

Given how Shorey played last season, the above alone is more than enough to make the fact we've started this season with a makeshift left back totally inexcusable.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 16 Aug 2008 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2008 13:35

Woodcote Royal we've started this season with a makeshit left back totally inexcusable.

:lol:

Like that one!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2008 13:37

Sorry, Mr Moderator, duly edited :P