Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

527 posts
Streets

Re: Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

by Streets » 16 Aug 2008 18:33

FiNeRaIn Any doubt I ever had about madejski has now been cured. Those comments are insulting to our fan base. He simply expects us to beleive after 2 years in the prem, 3.5 million for shorey, 5 million or so for kitson, that there is little or no money available? Hand on heart he genuinely thinks we will believe him?

The standing ovation he gets everytime he walks on the pitch tells him we're behind him every step of the way.

If we want to vent our feelings regarding a lack of investment, don't clap him!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Aug 2008 18:36

Thought it was a shocking interview of someone so out of touch I presume he still wears fruit of the loom jumpers and fat willy's surf shack t shirts.

However those saying 'time to let someone else carry it on' well yeah but sadly there aren't any millionaires around that want to take on a football club, if anyone knows one tell him to give JM a call, he'll happily sell it.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Aug 2008 18:36

Streets
If we want to vent our feelings regarding a lack of investment, don't clap him!!

People around me went a step further today and boo'd. I just remained silent and thought what an arrogant oxf*rd.

Royal Yank
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: A dry county in North Carolina... but close to the county line. WooHoo!

by Royal Yank » 16 Aug 2008 18:39

g a post thread supporting madejski = deleted
post a thread criticising madejski = allowed in numbers

sums up moderators here nicely.. only accept THEIR views.. no room for others

No, it was deleted because it was incoherent drivel.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Aug 2008 18:40

Really? Show me where...

...and don't be so childish with the jibes. You know I won't bite, unlike others.

You just did bite. I win. :wink:

"We are just another toy" outranks the childishness of "half a brain" by a country mile.

Look, if you are not aware of his hugely-publicised comments on the subject I can only assume you've been out of the country for most of the last few years.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 16 Aug 2008 18:40

Does anybody know any indulgent Billionaire prepared to subsidize a loss making business or would you prefer just to borrow heavily and hope we can pay it back?

Before JM we spent a CENTURY as the archetypical 3rd tier club, flirted with bankruptcy without the infrastructure ever to hope for anything more than a brief appearance in the 2nd tier of English football.

The level of whining from spoilt Premiership fans is beyond words. The idea that “everybody else runs at a loss so why shouldn’t we?” is easily the stupidest argument the interweb has ever produced.

Some people won't realize what he had done for us until he has gone.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 16 Aug 2008 18:42

Their is no doubt that Madejski is a brilliant businessman and has worked wonders at RFC but it doesn't make him immune from criticism. Just because he is a talented businessman who has made millions from very little it doesn't make it wrong for a person who is talented in a different field from earning large sums of money, maybe a touch snooty.

I wonder what he thinks about film stars earning £25m a film.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2008 18:45

I heard his comments, and what I couldn't accept was his "we're without £22million that we would have had in the Prem" - where the hell is the other £40 million we're said to have had?? When he was more or less asked this question, he tried to say that repairs to the stadium and salaries accounted for it all - I cannot accept that I'm afraid. I know no-one else has shown any interest in this club and I'm eternally grateful to Mr Madejski for helping to get us to the Prem and to have experiened two years of top level football, but I cannot help but think that if he REALLY REALLY had this club's best interests at heart, we'd still be there and we'd be more of a going concern to any interested millionaire/billionaires than we are now. He's shot himself in the foot imho.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Aug 2008 18:45

Streets Now can those that believed it was Coppell not wanting to spend the money please accept it is in fact John Madejski holding this football club back!!!

Time to sell up and let someone else come in!
In order to sell up you have to find someone willing to buy it at the price the seller is prepared to accept.

So far no takers and what's to say the new owners won't decide to do what the Glaziers did and transfer all the debt used to buy the club over to the club. The club would then have to repay the loan repayments before it even thought about a transfer budget.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Aug 2008 18:47

Everton - no money to buy despite the sale of AJ
Portsmouth - have to sell to buy despite being owned by a rich Russian billionaire
West Ham - no money left in the kitty and swamped in excessive salaries
Rangers - one of the richest clubs in Britain had to sell their best player to make ends meet

The money is going out of football, the salaries are unsustainably high even for foreign billionaires and the transfer fees are over-inflated too. We've made a loss every year of JM's tenure except when we were in the Premiership. Well, we're not there any more. Get used to it.

By the way, there was a game today.

Streets

by Streets » 16 Aug 2008 18:47

2.8 lita injection Their is no doubt that Madejski is a brilliant businessman and has worked wonders at RFC but it doesn't make him immune from criticism. Just because he is a talented businessman who has made millions from very little it doesn't make it wrong for a person who is talented in a different field from earning large sums of money, maybe a touch snooty.

I wonder what he thinks about film stars earning £25m a film.

Post of the day!

He isn't a football man, he says it himself.

He has banked paracute payments, players wages reduced as part of their contracts with relegation and recieved almost £8 in transfer fees.

THERE'S NO F**KING MONEY FOR PLAYERS???!!!

DO ONE!!!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 16 Aug 2008 18:47

No-one will buy us in the Championship.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Aug 2008 18:49

Royal Rother Also effectively said that wage levels are obscene and that he would far rather the players played for the love of the game rather than the love of money. Bless...
Perhaps he could lead by example and show his love for the game by allowing fans to attend for free rather than for his love of our money.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 16 Aug 2008 18:52

We don't want anyone to buy us the championship.

At the end of his interview he was asked what he expects from the Team this season and he said promotion. Its ok but I don't think he can demand it if players are being sold without some of it being money spent ?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Aug 2008 18:55

Forbury Lion
Royal Rother Also effectively said that wage levels are obscene and that he would far rather the players played for the love of the game rather than the love of money. Bless...
Perhaps he could lead by example and show his love for the game by allowing fans to attend for free rather than for his love of our money.

He's only trying to cover his costs! :wink:

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 16 Aug 2008 19:00

Do people not understand the basic principles of running a business? And yes weather you like or not in order for RFC to survive it needs to be treated as a business first, football club second. If the books don't balance the football club don't exist, simple as.

Let me put this simply to you . .

Last season we have LOTS of money coming out of the club

- Lots, and lots of wages

But . .

Last season we have LOTS of money coming into the club

- Lots of sponsorship money
- Lots of TV money
- Lots of season ticket holders
- Lots of full stadiums
- Lots of People buying Reading shirts.

This season everything coming into the club has decreased on every front. 4,000 less season ticket holders paying a lot less per season ticket just for a start BUT do you think the players wages will have come down? Our outgoings will have remained very much the same with a hugely reduced income.

I would guess that the vast majority of this £8 million pound, that according to most people has disappeared into adding to Madejski's classic car collection, is infact balancing the books of the club and preventing it from having to fall into debt? I would also suggest, as I have in my last post, if there is a good player that actually wants to play for us that is better than what we have already have and will increase our chances of promotion, as has always happened in the past, I am sure there is £1-2 that has been earmarked for potential players. But, in essence what he was trying to say, is don't expect some £4 million rated Premiership footballer looking for a retirement home and a cushy living in Berkshire. Just give the man a break he only ever has Reading Football Clubs best interest in mind, people really need to realise that.

Streets

by Streets » 16 Aug 2008 19:01

2.8 lita injection We don't want anyone to buy us the championship.

No but at the very least give the poor manager £2,000,000 of that income to get a left back and central midfielder, or right winger.

Hardly a fecking lot, and wouldn't buy us the Championship.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 16 Aug 2008 19:16

voice of reason Just give the man a break he only ever has Reading Football Clubs best interest in mind, people really need to realise that.

While you speak a lot of sense but JM is primarily worried about JM's money. This isn't necessarily the best interests of RFC (although, I will admit, they're not mutually exclusive)

When he eventually gives up the helm, JM will have recouped every penny he has put into Reading Football CLub and I would imagine make a handsome profit into the bargain. How he then has the bare faced cheek to say that footballers should play for the love of the game shows his true colours.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Aug 2008 19:19

cmonurz No-one will buy us in the Championship.

Tell that to QPR :wink:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 16 Aug 2008 19:25

Madejski out. He has taken us as far as he can.

527 posts