Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

527 posts
ScottishRoyal

Re: Madejski's comments to BBC Radio Berkshire

by ScottishRoyal » 18 Aug 2008 11:31

Agent Balti Madejski bottled it when he knew we could get into Europe, but at a cost. Happy to be the saviour, but un-willing to make us a force.

We are just another toy for him.

Unused at the botom of his big toy box.....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Aug 2008 11:32

Super Kevin Bremner! A business that's attempting to redress the losses of the past 15 years will not invest heavily until that objective is fully met.

Regards Bolton, the words Bolton and success should never be mentioned in the same sentence. They are an ugly club with an ugly tradition of bullying, mediocre football that has snuck them into Europe once and nearly gotten them relegated several times.

Portsmouth is a given - their fans are genuinely enjoying the Prem, so I kind of take your point there, but assuming they don't strengthen anymore now the purse strings are tight, what do you think will happen to the club should Crouch/Defoe not fire on all cylinders?

One of my pet gripes is how people see Portsmouth as having worked their way up.

Nope. They were Tier 2 fodder then Mandaric took over. That got them to the lower reaches of the Prem then Gaydamak took over and they pushed on again.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Aug 2008 11:44

As for us.

In 2001, 2002, I was pretty certain that I would see Reading in the Premiership with 5 years as all the pieces were in place - young team (core of which took us up), stadium which we would grow into, a desire to get there.

This is down to Madejski. Firstly, for getting us into that position - and the stadium is a key thing here and second, for ensuring that poorer managers haven't damaged us too much.

I thought in 2003, Pardew would take us there but we'd be drastically short of the ability required to stay there. But I thought we would regroup and attack again in the next few seasons. Which we did, using much the same strategy as what took us from 2000 to 2003.

I thought that the club had the desire to make a better fist of it last season and the way we got relegated suggested strongly to me that they didn't. I respect the need for continuity between the two seasons and think we have a very good basis on which to base further incursions into that top flight. And I understand that we aren't ever going to compete on a long term basis with the top teams due to limitations of history and the stadium but we can grow towards that.

My problem is that I just can't see what we're aiming towards at the moment. I get that feeling from Madejski's comments, I get it from Coppell's. Is it really the case that he's simply waiting for someone to buy him out?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Aug 2008 12:07

Streets
Super Kevin Bremner! So how many people ever thought we'd start a 2nd tier season as favourites to go up?

How many people, not having known 4 years ago what success was imminent, would have bitten someone's hand off if offered that.

And, who made that a reality? How did that become a reality?

By slowly building and empowering the likes of Coppell and Pardew to do a job however they wanted without going crazy with the cheque book.

It's a joke that people can even think about slating JM.

If I ever have millions of pounds then I'm buggered if I'll give a toss about how anybody thinks I should spend it.

And for the guy who replied that 'all we want is to get an LB and an RM in - not go mad with the money like Leeds', well you have missed the whole point of the thread. This isn't a 'why haven't we got the players in we need' debate, it's about Madjeski's attitude to the inappropriate way money is spent on the game.

And on that note, when we've needed to bring players in for certain positions in the past, we've done it, and almost always for sensible prices and with a successful outcome.

If you'd just seen 2.5m pissed down the drain on Greg Halford (albeit we got the money back) and then even more on Emerse Fae, then wouldn't you become synical about spending vast sums of cash?

Stand up and applaud JM's what I say.

Cracking post!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78872&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Jays like that character off "The Fast Show" who just agrees with whatever the last person said :roll:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Aug 2008 12:36

Schards#2
Streets
Super Kevin Bremner! So how many people ever thought we'd start a 2nd tier season as favourites to go up?

How many people, not having known 4 years ago what success was imminent, would have bitten someone's hand off if offered that.

And, who made that a reality? How did that become a reality?

By slowly building and empowering the likes of Coppell and Pardew to do a job however they wanted without going crazy with the cheque book.

It's a joke that people can even think about slating JM.

If I ever have millions of pounds then I'm buggered if I'll give a toss about how anybody thinks I should spend it.

And for the guy who replied that 'all we want is to get an LB and an RM in - not go mad with the money like Leeds', well you have missed the whole point of the thread. This isn't a 'why haven't we got the players in we need' debate, it's about Madjeski's attitude to the inappropriate way money is spent on the game.

And on that note, when we've needed to bring players in for certain positions in the past, we've done it, and almost always for sensible prices and with a successful outcome.

If you'd just seen 2.5m pissed down the drain on Greg Halford (albeit we got the money back) and then even more on Emerse Fae, then wouldn't you become synical about spending vast sums of cash?

Stand up and applaud JM's what I say.

Cracking post!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78872&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Jays like that character off "The Fast Show" who just agrees with whatever the last person said :roll:

Oy - that's © me.

Jay IS Indecisive Dave, though.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 18 Aug 2008 12:39

Platypuss
Oy - that's © me.

Jay IS Indecisive Dave, though.

Ah, but is he indecisive or just not sure?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2008 12:58

Royal Rother
The 17 Bus And can I add that any profit would have been after any loans had been repaid.

Loan repayments are not an overhead of a business so do not have an impact on the Profit made, therefore the above statement is completely incorrect.

If the club made a profit of £20m then there will have been surplus funds that may have enabled JM to take some repayments on his loans to the club; to be absolutely clear on this, loan repayments do not have an impact on the Profit.

I usually explain this once every couple of months - twice in 3 days is pushing it a bit, but I suppose, unfortunately, it is the hot topic once again!

Loan repayments due in a year, and long term loans are covered in the annual report though, do they not effect the P&L or is this just for the balance sheet?

The books (to June 07) show that the Chairmans loan hasn't decreased but I think from memory a bigger repayment was planned for for 07-08. If money is paid out to reduce liabilities does this not show up anywhere on the P&L?

I know you keep mentioning, but I don't think you've really explained it to be fair, but I'm not really expecting an accounting lesson, but thanks anyway.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2008 13:11

Regarding the whole Madejski issue, I think we're very lucky to have had him.

I don't care what his supposed ulteria motives are because I think he's got the best interests of the club at heart and he's not here to fleece us for every penny he can get. His legacy will be a well run club that has grown beyond belief under his stewardship.

Having said that I think these comments are a little odd as there has to be a bit of money flying about the club after all the revenue the Premiership bought into the coffers. Yes costs increased as well, but we turned round a loss making club into a profitable in that first season and so our model must've been returning a profit.

I dread to think what will happen when Madejski finally does call it a day.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 18 Aug 2008 13:14

Hoop Blah I dread to think what will happen when Madejski finally does call it a day.

This is the key. oxf*rd knows who would want us for a start.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Aug 2008 13:21

papereyes My problem is that I just can't see what we're aiming towards at the moment. I get that feeling from Madejski's comments, I get it from Coppell's. Is it really the case that he's simply waiting for someone to buy him out?

Pretty much.

I just dont believe anything that comes out of the club at the moment. Basically, the huge amount of money the club has made in the last 2 years is going towards increasing the book value of the the club. This, in theory, makes the club more valuable to any buyer which means more in the pockets of the shareholders when the club is sold. I think its that simple.

But everything at the club today, the ground, recent success, etc, is down to JM. and so will whatever we achieve in the future. I will not forget the programme notes for a game, against Bradford i think, towards the end of the 90/91 season. There were 1,900 people there and the programme basically said that the club was finacially fckd and we might not have a team next season. Yet look at what has happened since then. it is more than any lower division fan could possibly dream of.

So please JM, sell the club and let a new era begin.

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 18 Aug 2008 13:21

Now on the BBC web site for all to read including future players

Madejski slams players' salaries

Madejski says Reading will not pay high wages to players
Reading chairman John Madejski has hit out at the amount players earn, describing their salaries as "obscene in the extreme".

He told BBC Radio Berkshire that he would not be offering high wages to attract new signings to the club.

He said: "I think players are paid quite enough already and they don't need to be as high as they are.

"I'm pleased they get good salaries - that's only right - but it's gone off the Richter scale."

Madejski said that despite relegation from the Premier League, the club were not awash with money.

"It's not as wonderful as you imagine," he added. "We've done a lot of remedial work on the stadium.

We try to do the best we can and we have a great model, but we're not wallowing in a lot of cash

"The difference between being here and being in the Premiership is a £22m deficit and we still have an enormous squad of players.

"Over the past three years we've spent everything that we've had - as everybody does.

"We try to do the best we can and we have a great model, but we're not wallowing in a lot of cash, I assure you of that.

"We've sold 14,000 season tickets and I'm delighted about that, but it pales in significance compared to last season.

"We have to cut our coat according to the cloth, and it ain't that good."

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Aug 2008 13:22

Tony Le Mesmer So please JM, sell the club and let a new era begin.
To whom?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Aug 2008 13:41

Arch
Tony Le Mesmer So please JM, sell the club and let a new era begin.
To whom?

To whoever offers the most money?

Lets face it, if you put a nice Ford Focus in Auto Trader ( :shock: ) and asked 30 grand for it, you wouldn't get much interest.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Aug 2008 13:45

"Over the past three years we've spent everything that we've had"

:shock:

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 18 Aug 2008 13:52

Tony Le Mesmer "Over the past three years we've spent everything that we've had"

:shock:

10% on stadium
10% on signings
30% on wages
50% on loan repayments
...maybe

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 Aug 2008 13:55

I would have thought it was a little more on the signings. After all, we spent £2.5m on Halford and £2.5m on Fae....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Aug 2008 13:59

we will make a loss this season
any incoming transfer money will be weighted towards offsetting the loss we make on the day to day business side of things.
just look at the accounts for our 1st year to see where the money went while in teh top flight , and how much mr mad is "lieing" to us and "stealing " all our money

just taking a look down the leagues at previous prem teams, and the perilous financial state some of the more recently demoted teams are in to see what hes on about

the money is all in plain view, and what we did with it

if we are getting 22 M less in tv money after parachute payments, have fewer fans coming through the gates, and each fan paying considerably less for their tickets,while only making 6m profit when we were up anyway, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see why we need to"cut our coat according to the cloth" in order to stop us losing money this season

working class hero

by working class hero » 18 Aug 2008 14:05

SpaceCruiser I would have thought it was a little more on the signings. After all, we spent £2.5m on Halford and £2.5m on Fae....

And we received how much for Halford?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2008 14:09

brendywendy we will make a loss this season
any incoming transfer money will be weighted towards offsetting the loss we make on the day to day business side of things.
just look at the accounts for our 1st year to see where the money went while in teh top flight , and how much mr mad is "lieing" to us and "stealing " all our money

just taking a look down the leagues at previous prem teams, and the perilous financial state some of the more recently demoted teams are in to see what hes on about

the money is all in plain view, and what we did with it

if we are getting 22 M less in tv money after parachute payments, have fewer fans coming through the gates, and each fan paying considerably less for their tickets,while only making 6m profit when we were up anyway, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see why we need to"cut our coat according to the cloth" in order to stop us losing money this season

But that rocket scientist must also realise that costs have tumbled too? Wages are supposely slashed by around 40%, or so we were led to believe anyway.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 Aug 2008 14:10

working class hero
SpaceCruiser I would have thought it was a little more on the signings. After all, we spent £2.5m on Halford and £2.5m on Fae....

And we received how much for Halford?

Yes, we received pretty much all of the fee back, but this is about spending, not income.

527 posts