6%
N Hunt & Long
6%

Total votes: 142
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Whats the best combination?

by Ian Royal » 17 Aug 2008 11:29

kwik-silva Both our CM's are more defensive minded, thats the problem, if we had Matejovksi fit, he's the one who pushes forward

His passing is attacking, but I don't think he's mobile enough to get forward all that often. He's more a lurker outside the area than a player who busts a gut to get on the end of a cross. Saying that he has made some good counter attacking driving runs in his few appearances.

I'd like to see Harper given a licence to burst forward much more any time he's paired up with Bikey or Cisse in the middle.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 18 Aug 2008 13:02

Streets Doyle and Lita are like chalk and cheese.

Do you understand what ‘chalk and cheese’ means? As centre forwards go, they’re pretty similar. Medium height, strong, not the best first touch, reasonable in the air, good but not clinical finishers, reasonably pacy etc etc. They’re both very good players, more than capable of thriving in this division, if the service is there. Lita’s certainly more cocky than Doyle, or is it their ethnicity that’s blinding you?

And what’s the problem with a ‘chalk and cheese’ pairing? Surely a bit of variety up front is a good thing? Lineker and Beardsley, Rush and Dalglish, Shearer and Sheringham, Quinn and Philips; some of the most successful domestic centre-forward pairings of the last twenty years. Not forgetting Quinn and Archie. And then look how England struggled when Rooney and Owen were paired up. Countless injuries aside.

At the moment I’d stick with Doyle and Lita. You can’t knock their work rate; with Marek missing and Hunt at LB, their level of service has been diminished. Doyle seems lacking in confidence at the moment, actually for the last 6 months. A goal or three would do him wonders. He's lost that freshness and naivety that made him so dangerous. Lita’s one of those players that’s always cocksure, he just seems to have purple patches of scoring. Give them both a good 60-70 minutes against Charlton and then bring on Long and N.Hunt if it’s sensible.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Aug 2008 13:46

Based on Saturday, not Lita and Doyle
Lita won nothing in the air and controlled the ball successfully maybe twice. I am seriously beginning to think that his only real skill is the overhead kick
Doyle also won little in the air which is very unusual, for despite his height he normally has a good leap. He didn't look the all action player of last year by any means.
Long looked excellent when he came on and I would start with him and Doyle, with Long and Noel Hunt the next best option

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Aug 2008 13:47

I prefer Long to be on the bench as he always makes an impact when he comes on and that is what I like about him. For me, at Charlton we need to change it around a bit upfront so I would go with Doyle and N.Hunt.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 18 Aug 2008 13:58

rg6royal I prefer Long to be on the bench as he always makes an impact when he comes on and that is what I like about him. For me, at Charlton we need to change it around a bit upfront so I would go with Doyle and N.Hunt.

na lita and doyle again because doyle, you have to pick him hes class but lita will be really fired up because its against his old club technically as he played like 5 games for them

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Aug 2008 14:10

bcubed Lita won nothing in the air and controlled the ball successfully maybe twice. I am seriously beginning to think that his only real skill is the overhead kick

Put the ball on the deck in front of him to run onto and he's pretty unbeatable - witness Man City away and Preston away to name just a couple of examples. But we're not playing to his strengths with the current setup.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 18 Aug 2008 14:23

Something is missing with Doyle. When he first burst into the team what used to stand out was his strength and how he could control the ball, hold a defender off and then turn and out them. Maybe it's confidence, maybe it's service, maybe it's his attitude, but he looks to have lost his pace and rarely does he beat defenders.

At the moment it will be Doyle and Lita, but if they don't score after 5 games then Coppell should replace one of them, unless he decides to be loyal again.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Aug 2008 14:25

Alan Partridge After today, I'm still not sure about Lita and Doyle, I think both would be better off playing with a Kitson type player target man. They don't seem to be that great together and I would have personally liked to have seen N Hunt earlier. Long is an ideal sub and for me should remain there. Think I'd like to see N Hunt & either Lita or Doyle.

Thoughts?

Whilst not so bothered about a target man (provided we play as if we haven't got one and cut out the endless hoofs) other than that, I share your concerns.

Did either Doyle or Lita go close on Saturday? Can't say I remember them seriously troubling Stack (which isn't difficult :P )

You have to say that, on paper, our quartet of strikers looks impressive for this level but they were probably our most disappointing part of the team on Saturday.

I actually fancy Long and Hunt but only have the cup game to base this on.

I thought Leroy's attitude was excellent on Saturday but did he look threatening :|

Both he and Long usually fail to deliver when they get an extended run in the side but I'm hoping Coppell will give our young Irishman yet another chance in the league if he continues to impress in the cup.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 18 Aug 2008 14:26

Doyle has not been the same since he tore his hamstring away to Everton 2 seasons ago, for the last year he has been nothing short of woeful. Noel Hunt and Lita for me, although in reality it should be Lita and ___?____, as we need to sign a 6ft+ striker to compiment his game.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 18 Aug 2008 14:42

I'd like to see Lita and N. Hunt play together.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 Aug 2008 14:46

Geekins I'd like to see Lita and N. Hunt play together.

agreed

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Aug 2008 14:47

You have to say that, on paper, our quartet of strikers looks impressive for this level but they were probably our most disappointing part of the team on Saturday.

The individuals - maybe
But a strikeforce is surely about the combinations and changes to the combinations.

Hope Doyle and Lita form a partnership but can't see it. NHunt might be a different style of forward, but can't see it. It needs another dimension but could work reasonably well without it.

Injuries there will diddle us backwards.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Aug 2008 14:50

Woodcote Royal You have to say that, on paper, our quartet of strikers looks impressive for this level but they were probably our most disappointing part of the team on Saturday.

But it's not quite as simple as that - perhaps it was their awareness of strikers with the reputation of Doyle and Lita that meant the Plymough defence left Sonko unmarked...?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Aug 2008 15:00

"Quick lads, mark the two guys under 5 ft 9 while we leave the big tall centre back free. That'll stump them."

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 18 Aug 2008 15:28

Worked well for us! :wink:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Aug 2008 15:35

papereyes

The individuals - maybe
But a strikeforce is surely about the combinations and changes to the combinations.

Agreed......................lets hope Coppell give his numerous permutations a chance rather than just picking his favourite one week after week when it's not producing the goods........................don't hold your breath.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Aug 2008 15:39

S.Hunt & N.Hunt together up front

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Aug 2008 15:48

Dirk Gently
Woodcote Royal You have to say that, on paper, our quartet of strikers looks impressive for this level but they were probably our most disappointing part of the team on Saturday.

But it's not quite as simple as that - perhaps it was their awareness of strikers with the reputation of Doyle and Lita that meant the Plymough defence left Sonko unmarked...?

Once, maybe, twice in the same match = cr@p defence

PS. Sometimes things are more simple than you think..............................

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Aug 2008 13:22

Doyle and Long :)

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 Aug 2008 13:31

Woodcote Royal
Dirk Gently

Once, maybe, twice in the same match = cr@p defence

PS. Sometimes things are more simple than you think..............................

According to the Plymouth press, Rory Fallon was *supposed* to be marking Sonko.