Jobs For The Boys At RFC

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Echo

Jobs For The Boys At RFC

by The Echo » 24 Aug 2008 12:30

Countless words have been exchanged on this board about the lack of drive and ambition at RFC. By common concensus there appears to be very little in the way of new, exciting and fresh ideas at all levels of the football club.

How long is it since a new recruit was added to the decision making team at RFC? Lets look at the key protaganists.

Madjeski - 20 years or so.
Hill-Wood, Nigel Howe - 10 years or more IIRC. How much more do these guys have to offer RFC? I don't know.
Squeek - 7 years?
Coppell - 5 years?
Dillon - 8 years?
Downes - Coppells sidekick and mucker.
Murty - 10 Years

My issue isn't neccasaily with any of the above individuals in particular. Besides, that would be for anther thread. As a management team it's healthy to at least have some turnover. Maybe this lot have reached the comfort zone with each other. Sometimes a boat needs a little bit of rocking.

Yes RFC should be proud of its record of stability over the past decade. Reckless risktaking is not the way forward. But surely theres a balance. Perhaps the RFC management team have grown into a routine like an old married couple. Who challenges who? Who's bringing in new ideas? These guys talk about how we do things "the right way" at RFC. How would they know? They've only known RFC in the modern era. no other club.

I suspect there is a fear of trying something new at RFC. The assumption is that the tried and tested methods have always worked and they'll continue to work. It makes me wonder who could we find within this cuddly little group to fill our problem left back spot. Ron Grant? Perhaps even Cilla could bring her boots on Saturday!

Negative_Jeff

Re: Jobs For The Boys At RFC

by Negative_Jeff » 25 Aug 2008 12:17

Perhaps your list could be extended to include one or two seasoned contributors to Nob Nob.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Aug 2008 12:59

This principle didn't do Liverpool any harm during the 70's and 80's

The Echo

by The Echo » 25 Aug 2008 13:27

Hampshire Royal This principle didn't do Liverpool any harm during the 70's and 80's

To extent that is true. Liverpool tended to at least supplement their playing squad with a couple of quality additions to the playing staff each season. Players that were better than were on the books already. Beardsley and Barnes circa 1987/88? IIRC spring to mind. There are countless other examples. They never rested on their laurals.

A good comparision would be the liverpool of a couple of years later. They fluffed up their squad with the likes of David Speedie and Jimmy Carter. That strategy sounds somewhat familar.
Last edited by The Echo on 25 Aug 2008 14:01, edited 2 times in total.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 25 Aug 2008 13:48

Roy Evans was the last of the Liverpool "boot room" dynasty. I seem to remember him doing them a great deal of harm, subsequently being given the tin tack at Swindon.

robb the royal

by robb the royal » 25 Aug 2008 17:49

look at other team though:
ferguson has been at man utd 21 or 22 years,
wenger has been at arsenal 12 years
dario gradi is still at crewe after 25 years (ok, hes now not the mangager, but is still involved)
the guys who own birmingham city have been there 15 years

and all of those have been doing well for most of their careers.
all those have done well, consistancy is as important in the board room and on the touch line as it is on the pitch. I'd love to see someone buy the club and pump millions into it, but them doing their jobs for too long isnt the problem.

The Echo

by The Echo » 25 Aug 2008 19:50

robb the royal look at other team though:
dario gradi is still at crewe after 25 years (ok, hes now not the mangager, but is still involved)

all those have done well, consistancy is as important in the board room and on the touch line as it is on the pitch. I'd love to see someone buy the club and pump millions into it, but them doing their jobs for too long isnt the problem.

Again you are correct. My point is not against anyone in particular. The problem is though that there is nothing fresh at any level of the club. Nothing is evolving. This is the general theme running through several current threads. The club is inward looking. It's in a comfort zone. It needs someone to ruffle a few feathers. As I said I have no problem with Coppell. There appears to be noboby however to keep him or anybody else at the club on their toes. Leadership must address this.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Aug 2008 20:10

The Echo
robb the royal look at other team though:

Again you are correct. My point is not against anyone in particular. The problem is though that there is nothing fresh at any level of the club. Nothing is evolving. This is the general theme running through several current threads. The club is inward looking. It's in a comfort zone. It needs someone to ruffle a few feathers. As I said I have no problem with Coppell. There appears to be noboby however to keep him or anybody else at the club on their toes. Leadership must address this.

I agree in many respects. I think we've done so well working to a certain system for so long that's it's come as a bit of a shock to see things going wrong. We don't seem to know how to handle it and have effectively going into the team-building phase of a few years ago, using the same methods. You could argue that it worked well before, so it's a good policy, but the difference is that we were starting from a much better position than we were then, and it's almost as if we want to get back to having a squad that needs completely rebuilding again before we progress. Two steps forward, one step back, isn't such a bad policy (barring those who regard taking that step back as a hanging offence) but we look to be going four steps forward, three steps back instead.

Streets

by Streets » 25 Aug 2008 20:15

Welcome back TE.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 26 Aug 2008 13:29

The Echo Countless words have been exchanged on this board about the lack of drive and ambition at RFC. By common concensus there appears to be very little in the way of new, exciting and fresh ideas at all levels of the football club.

How long is it since a new recruit was added to the decision making team at RFC? Lets look at the key protaganists.

Madjeski - 20 years or so.
Hill-Wood, Nigel Howe - 10 years or more IIRC. How much more do these guys have to offer RFC? I don't know.
Squeek - 7 years?
Coppell - 5 years?
Dillon - 8 years?
Downes - Coppells sidekick and mucker.
Murty - 10 Years

My issue isn't neccasaily with any of the above individuals in particular. Besides, that would be for anther thread. As a management team it's healthy to at least have some turnover. Maybe this lot have reached the comfort zone with each other. Sometimes a boat needs a little bit of rocking.

Yes RFC should be proud of its record of stability over the past decade. Reckless risktaking is not the way forward. But surely theres a balance. Perhaps the RFC management team have grown into a routine like an old married couple. Who challenges who? Who's bringing in new ideas? These guys talk about how we do things "the right way" at RFC. How would they know? They've only known RFC in the modern era. no other club.

I suspect there is a fear of trying something new at RFC. The assumption is that the tried and tested methods have always worked and they'll continue to work. It makes me wonder who could we find within this cuddly little group to fill our problem left back spot. Ron Grant? Perhaps even Cilla could bring her boots on Saturday!

Up until last season didn't they have an independant management company at the club for a couple of seasons ?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 26 Aug 2008 13:37

Catalyst – sports management consultants. Certainly there last year.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 26 Aug 2008 13:42

Steve Coppell We’ve deliberately kept quiet about the involvement of Catalyst ... not because we are ashamed or embarrassed, but because I think we’ve got an edge.

No mention of RFC on Catalyst's website though. :wink:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 26 Aug 2008 17:47

Whore Jackie
Steve Coppell We’ve deliberately kept quiet about the involvement of Catalyst ... not because we are ashamed or embarrassed, but because I think we’ve got an edge.

No mention of RFC on Catalyst's website though. :wink:

They were certainly very active in 2005/06 and 2006/7 and were in Korea at the start of last season - not sure if they are still around as much but wouldn't be surprised.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Aug 2008 18:28

Only one man mentioned above can change the clubs transfer policy and he won't.

Nothing a new Chairman/Director/Director of Football/Chief Exec can do about it.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Aug 2008 19:18

Ron Grant has been here for years, get rid of him and the 'house of cards' will surely fall like the walls of Jericho.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1