Fans forum

216 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Fans forum

by floyd__streete » 29 Aug 2008 18:36

brendywendy this is gay.

Thaumagurist* This thread now = boring

Two of the greatest minds on the RTG side of the divide are bored and frustrated with all this reasonably interesting debate.

allwite123

by allwite123 » 29 Aug 2008 18:59

floyd__streete My source at tonights forum informs me of the following revelations which came direct from SC himself:

- We were offered Kevin Phillips.
- We were interested in Ben Watson but Palace refused to do business with us.
- Coppell effectively offered his resignation in February.
- Expect a player to leave over the next day or two.

My source suspects that Lita might be the one to go because when asked about his front two for Saturday Coppell said that it would likely be Long and Doyle. Nick(y) Hammond was not at the forum because he was finalising the aforementioned departure.

ok so how many saw sonko going??? does this now mean our strikers are safe???

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Aug 2008 19:29

RoyalBlue
brendywendy
RoyalBlue
But then I imagine, like most, your ego has a far, far, smaller appetite.

If you crave public adulation, the company of stars etc. in a big way, then you do gain, and I guess it could be measured by the number of times your name is mentioned in the media, the number of people applauding you and the quality of the stars sat next to you!

Yeh, fine, spend your money on a business to feed your ego but don't then dress it up as an act of charity, service to the community that's given you so much etc.etc.

That would probably be preferable to positive spin that repeatedly turns to ashes in front of our eyes!

once

not repeatedly

and again

madejski been nothing but honest about expecting loans to be repayed etc
dunno where you are getting the charity bit from
not from him thats fur sure

Come off it, do you not recall the times he repeatedly appeared on BBCRB bleating about all the money he was having to put in to keep the club going with little or no prospect of getting it back?!! :shock: He used to say that the very least the Reading public could do in return was come along and support their team.
If that didn't strongly imply charitable/philanthropic motives then I don't knwo what does. Actually I do, I believe he was also on record on more than one occasion as saying he wanted to put something back into the local community and his support of RFC was one way of doing that. Few, I suspect, took this to mean that he was putting back into the community in a similar way to how Barclays do when they lend money to local businesses/people!

Surely, that is exactly the point. When Mad John was putting up his money there was little realistic chance of ever getting it back. The fact that he is getting some/all back is a minor (possibly a major) miracle.
Having gambled once and won (or should it be not lost) why would he take such a massive gamble again.

That said, it is clearly the time for him to move aside and let someone else gamble. But, even if that does happen, it will take time for things to come right.
Question is : how many fans have the patience ?

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 29 Aug 2008 19:45

Alan Partridge Don't read it then, I am sure there is a riveting topic such as 'what do you call your remote control?' on AE that's far more exciting.

Yawn.....

nev monkey

by nev monkey » 29 Aug 2008 20:59

brendywendy
RoyalBlue
brendywendy
once

not repeatedly

and again

madejski been nothing but honest about expecting loans to be repayed etc
dunno where you are getting the charity bit from
not from him thats fur sure

Come off it, do you not recall the times he repeatedly appeared on BBCRB bleating about all the money he was having to put in to keep the club going with little or no prospect of getting it back?!! :shock: He used to say that the very least the Reading public could do in return was come along and support their team.

If that didn't strongly imply charitable/philanthropic motives then I don't knwo what does. Actually I do, I believe he was also on record on more than one occasion as saying he wanted to put something back into the local community and his support of RFC was one way of doing that. Few, I suspect, took this to mean that he was putting back into the community in a similar way to how Barclays do when they lend money to local businesses/people!

LOL wasnt that when he was pumping lots of his money in, with no guarantee of getting it back?

and if you cant see that his management has taken us from shitsville to success and solvency road
there is little point in trying to reason with you

enjoy your indignation

Blimey aren't you full of your self?

JM chose to save the club & for that I thank him. However having got to the Prem, he then shat himself & decided that this would be a great opportunity to take back all the money he put in. I for one feel cheated because he talked of big plans & big spending. Our wage bill turned out to be the lowest amongst all the teams & we hardly spent. We have now sold & sold & sold. I have no problem with that, except we haven't replaced what's gone. If we're not careful we will end up back where we came from due to lack of investment. It's like 1995 all over again.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Aug 2008 22:08

floyd__streete
brendywendy this is gay.

Thaumagurist* This thread now = boring

Two of the greatest minds on the RTG side of the divide are bored and frustrated with all this reasonably interesting debate.

It was interesting up to a point then it became repetitive over the same ground. Therefore it became BORING!

Wealdstone at home

by Wealdstone at home » 29 Aug 2008 22:12

georgerob interesting, this was from the star fans forum wasn't it? Why didn't Coppell mention this to the media before if this information is true. It would frustrate if we were offered kevin phillips why didnt we try our best to get him to sign for reading, look what he has done for birmingham already.

He'll be out injured in a few more weeks

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Aug 2008 22:14

Kevin Phillips league stats this season ..

Played 3
Scored 3

Either you're wrong (likely) or you're making things up.

STAR Webmaster

by STAR Webmaster » 30 Aug 2008 20:59

A full report of the evening is now available on the STAR website:

http://www.star-reading.org/index.php?o ... &Itemid=26

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 30 Aug 2008 21:12

STAR Webmaster A full report of the evening is now available on the STAR website:

Floor: You intimate a lot of the problems are psychological and there are divisions in camp. What
is happening?
SC: Lots of stories. If you are getting beaten people do have rows. The person who has spoken most was
probably most responsible…

Kits?

Good read to be honest, he's very honest in that piece

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 30 Aug 2008 21:24

chilipepper91
STAR Webmaster A full report of the evening is now available on the STAR website:

Floor: You intimate a lot of the problems are psychological and there are divisions in camp. What
is happening?
SC: Lots of stories. If you are getting beaten people do have rows. The person who has spoken most was
probably most responsible…

Kits?

Good read to be honest, he's very honest in that piece

yeah good read, and i take it that means kitson?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 30 Aug 2008 21:28

I thought Copps said that Mooney was the "perfect replacement for Kitson"?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 30 Aug 2008 21:31

Coppell We have the ability for promotion – maybe not the mindset… The youngsters have the mindset but not
the ability.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Aug 2008 21:33

The worrying thing is that Coppell refers to 3 or 4 leaving..ok Sonko is one of those but Doyle, Lita and Harper are all still potential departures. Given Lita's contractual situation I think it will be him. Surely to god that will be it.
Will be glad when the transfer window closes

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2008 22:44

Given the other things he's said about Harper, I can't see him being one who especially wants to leave.

Yes he'll want to be in the prem, and yes he'd leave if the chance came, but I don't think he'll be knocking on a door for a transfer and I think he'll work his bollocks off to get promotion with us.

Doyle is a maybe, Lita too

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 30 Aug 2008 22:58

He will too. That's an exceptionally revealing read. 8 or 9 players want(ed) to leave including 4 or 5 who may be "stuck here". I'd say from this that Little, Kitson, Shorey and Sonko are all players Coppell was quite relieved to see the back of. If nothing else, bringing in those fees may give us a cushion where we can afford to knock back offers for players we're more keen to keep. Hard to get a read on his attitude about Doyle.

Anyway, we'll all sleep a bit easier from Monday night on. At least this week's nine goals and youth performances have given us something to cheer about. I can't see us finishing in the bottom half, but I can see us back to the old days of flattering only to ultimately deceive.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Aug 2008 23:04

Arch He will too. That's an exceptionally revealing read. 8 or 9 players want(ed) to leave including 4 or 5 who may be "stuck here". I'd say from this that Little, Kitson, Shorey and Sonko are all players Coppell was quite relieved to see the back of. If nothing else, bringing in those fees may give us a cushion where we can afford to knock back offers for players we're more keen to keep. Hard to get a read on his attitude about Doyle.

Anyway, we'll all sleep a bit easier from Monday night on. At least this week's nine goals and youth performances have given us something to cheer about. I can't see us finishing in the bottom half, but I can see us back to the old days of flattering only to ultimately deceive.

Coppell is a fantastic bloke and I love his candor in the write up. Especially seemingly given a fairly hard time.

I can see us doing exactly what you say this season, but I also think it could put us with a fantastic (and much more secure) platform for a new manager to come in and take us up next season. How many more want aways would there have been without Coppell staying? How many more would have gone?

I still think he's best placed to take us back, and if not that certainly best placed to steady the ship and settle a few players back in, and bring on the younger ones enough to be taken seriously by his replacement, if he does leave.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Aug 2008 23:21

A very interesting read.

That made me like Coppell even more than I did already.

His comments show the ridiculousness of today's game. Players seems to be Oxf*rds (apart from Hunty and Harps).

The fan's forum also shows there were some SERIOUS problems last year.
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 30 Aug 2008 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 30 Aug 2008 23:29

On the basis of those comments, Kitson can oxf*rd off and fail miserably IMO.

Seems to have forgotten who gave him his big break, the tw@t.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Aug 2008 23:41

Little doesn't come across much better...

216 posts