" Young Guns "

royal-arkansas

" Young Guns "

by royal-arkansas » 31 Aug 2008 12:39

Is this the start of something big ? a new chapter in the history of this great club .. Fans love to watch them and they are full of energy and want to play and seem to have the skill needed in this division..

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: " Young Guns "

by Rex » 31 Aug 2008 12:44

Its the start of the transition. Clubs evolve - this is where we are at. Where this leads us - we shall see.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 31 Aug 2008 12:50

copps did say he was excited at the prospect of them, so you never know, we may see them starting alot more regularly

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Aug 2008 12:57

People have been moaning that Coppell is too loyal to his established players - but those players show just how loyal they are by wanting to leave and by taking the club down by failing to pull together and play to their potential.

So natural selection takes over and those players walk, to be replaced by up and coming players who are hungry for success and have the drive to succeed. All teams need to be reinvented every now and then - Fergie has done it 3 or 4 times - and now it's happening here. But still some people moan.

As far as I'm concerned Tuesday was the start of new chapter for RFC - as the next generation comes through.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2008 13:00

Couldn't agree more....................yesterday's team selection restored much of the faith I used to have in Steve Coppell.

Archies Volley

by Archies Volley » 31 Aug 2008 13:33

Woodcote Royal Couldn't agree more....................yesterday's team selection restored much of the faith I used to have in Steve Coppell.

whilst I agree that it was great to see the youngsters and I am still a coppell man surely the selection was down to injuries (Cisse, Gunnar, Doobs, Marek), players being rested after the olympics (Bikey) and players being sold (Sonko)

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 31 Aug 2008 13:36

Archies Volley
Woodcote Royal Couldn't agree more....................yesterday's team selection restored much of the faith I used to have in Steve Coppell.

whilst I agree that it was great to see the youngsters and I am still a coppell man surely the selection was down to injuries (Cisse, Gunnar, Doobs, Marek), players being rested after the olympics (Bikey) and players being sold (Sonko)

It's a shame it has to take that for them to get a game. I hope we don't go back to the 'established' players game after game when they are all fit and available tbh - not when the 'Young Guns' look this good.

royal-arkansas

by royal-arkansas » 31 Aug 2008 14:11

Lets get behind these " young guns " there going to be around along time !!!

We need a " Young Guns " T shirt !!!!!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2008 14:18

after one game ...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Aug 2008 15:34

papereyes after one game ...

Correction.

Far more than that.

Pearce has played in the cup three times plus a sub appearance. I may have got that slightly wrong. He's also made a sub appearance in the league, and played on loan in the Championship for Norwich (as well as at lower levels).

Karacan played against Luton and has played in League 1 with Millwall and Bournemouth.

Then there's youth and reserve matches...

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 31 Aug 2008 16:22

I thought Tom Soares had a good game for Palace. He was born in Reading, and I think his brother plays for Aldershot. I think they both went through the Palace academy system before ours was established. Can anybody confirm?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2008 16:32

SCIAG

Correction.

Far more than that.

Pearce has played in the cup three times plus a sub appearance. I may have got that slightly wrong. He's also made a sub appearance in the league, and played on loan in the Championship for Norwich (as well as at lower levels).

Karacan played against Luton and has played in League 1 with Millwall and Bournemouth.

Then there's youth and reserve matches...

No, that's really not a correction. That's a whole load of other information that is pretty much completely irrelevent to the point being made.

Those two players have both just made their first team debuts for the club in the league. Yes, they had good starts but let's not get carried away after one game.

I do like the way you brought in the games on loan that really did help our first team's league position. Nice touch.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2008 16:33

Read the first post again, SCIAG, read my post again and then work out why your post was really just another pointless exercise.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 31 Aug 2008 16:54

Pearce especially has looked great. Sonko is no loss if he keeps this up and I cannot see him failing. Coppell also see's BK as a CB and I would love to see those to in the centre of our defence.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 31 Aug 2008 17:06

I've always been impressed by Pearce when I've seen him, and I thought he looked thoroughly comfortable yesterday. I'd be more than happy for him to start regularly. Karacan I thought had a fairly quiet game, although he could have been off had got the yellow card he deserved when he up-ended a Palace player on the half-way lin; he only escaped the card because the resulting advantage was so long that the ref probably forgot who he was. He made some good runs into the box from deep, which invariably weren't noticed by our front line. I still don't think he's ahead of Bikey, Marek or Cissé, but he should certainly feature more regularly this season, and perhaps should start some of the less difficult matches, to rest the first choice players. Kébé looks so much better than last season - I think that this is the season when James Henry will move to a Leage 1 team, to be honest. I was impressed by him against Luton, but I've never been impressed by him in the past.

This is also the season that Golbourne is going to have to step up or be moved on; signing Armstrong can't have been very cheering for him, then. That said, I've just noticed that he's only 20, so I might be being a tad harsh. Kelly looks a bit from regularly featuring in the squad, to me, but he looks promising, and I wouldn't mind him making the occassional appearance as back up to Rosenior. I'm guessing it was also his comfort on both sides that gave him his appearance on the bench yesterday.

Long is clearly the most frustrating of the younger players.He's been on the fringe of the squad for so long that it's easy to forget that he's still only 21. Yesterday, and the match against Luton on tuesday, perfectly epitomised Long: he does the difficult stuff well, but then makes silly simple mistakes; he'll trap a ball travelling at speed from a height brilliantly, then pop a simple pass to a player ten yards away straight into touch; he'll use his pace to leave defenders in his wake, then shoot tamely straight at the keeper. I think I can see what Coppell likes, as Long's work-rate does win us set-pieces. However - and this surprises me - Long and doyle still don't really look like a pairing, they don't seem able to anticipate what each other are going to do. Noel is clearly still finding his feet, and the team are still learning how he plays, but even so he looks more of a goal threat in the box than Long does. I certainly don't understand how Long started ahead of Noel after the latter's performance on Tuesday. And where was Lita? Transfer imminent?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2008 17:08

This is also the season that Golbourne is going to have to step up or be moved on; signing Armstrong can't have been very cheering for him, then. That said, I've just noticed that he's only 20, so I might be being a tad harsh

They covered that at the Fans Forum - I think injury might be a factor

It's the round thing

by It's the round thing » 31 Aug 2008 17:09

Sarah Star
Archies Volley

It's a shame it has to take that for them to get a game. I hope we don't go back to the 'established' players game after game when they are all fit and available tbh - not when the 'Young Guns' look this good.

Sonko being sold is is a strong vote of confidence for Pearce. Bikey could have played. I think we are seeing the start of new blood in the team. OK, it is only one game but I'm excited for the season. How much better to have players playing who are playing to get promoted than those recovering from being relegated. And with their level of enthusiasm and commitment they will raise the level of the team - either because their enthusiasm is contagious or because they'll raise the level of competition for positions.

Streets

by Streets » 31 Aug 2008 17:09

We have little money available and little choice. I'm glad the youngsters are getting a game though. About time!

royal-arkansas

by royal-arkansas » 31 Aug 2008 17:23

What i was trying to get across was we are beginning to pull our academy players through and we should unite as fans behind them ( god forbid even if they have a bad game ) I agree we are a team in Transition , but still hoping to compete for promotion , that has to be down to the genius of SC.. But these players are the future and if MU can have their successes with their young players why can't we ?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 31 Aug 2008 17:26

royal-arkansas

What i was trying to get across was we are beginning to pull our academy players through and we should unite as fans behind them ( god forbid even if they have a bad game ) I agree we are a team in Transition , but still hoping to compete for promotion , that has to be down to the genius of SC.. But these players are the future and if MU can have their successes with their young players why can't we ?

No hassle with that.

But after one game ... just hold it in for a bit. It was just one game.

Was great to see a change that many had been asking for, though, and to see it have a massive positive effect.