Madejski being booed yesterday

330 posts
voice of reason

Re: Madejski being booed yesterday

by voice of reason » 31 Aug 2008 15:09

I didn't say anything about Dave Whelan's motivation for naming the stadium, just making sure woodley royal was aware that JJB and Dave Whelan are basically the same thing. And no I am not saying its the same as calling it the Dave Whelan stadium.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2008 15:12

BobKnows I am routinely astounded by the sheer dimwittedness of some of my fellow fans. Go on, my fickle friends, do your best to force out a deeply prudent businessman who has helped develop this club into a solvent, successful and friendly club. I'm sure some of you would love some dodgy oligarch to pitch up and turn your local club into the soulless global brand that is Chelsea... personally I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty needle.

BTW I'm sure Madejski does have a rampant ego (couldn't give a crap, though, he's not a personal friend of mine). I'm also fairly sure Coppell does have money to spend (weirdly enough "big" premiership players don't like coming to "small" Championship clubs though) and yes everybody does have a right to their opinion, but for Christ's sake, be polite to a man that has does great things for this club (even if you consider that to be in the past) SO DON'T oxf*rd BOO YOUR OWN TEAM.

Really why scott carson gone to west brom Giavanni gone to hull and Jermain pennant going to stoke prem players dont like going to smaller clubs :roll:

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 31 Aug 2008 15:13

WoodleyRoyal
BobKnows I am routinely astounded by the sheer dimwittedness of some of my fellow fans. Go on, my fickle friends, do your best to force out a deeply prudent businessman who has helped develop this club into a solvent, successful and friendly club. I'm sure some of you would love some dodgy oligarch to pitch up and turn your local club into the soulless global brand that is Chelsea... personally I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty needle.

BTW I'm sure Madejski does have a rampant ego (couldn't give a crap, though, he's not a personal friend of mine). I'm also fairly sure Coppell does have money to spend (weirdly enough "big" premiership players don't like coming to "small" Championship clubs though) and yes everybody does have a right to their opinion, but for Christ's sake, be polite to a man that has does great things for this club (even if you consider that to be in the past) SO DON'T oxf*rd BOO YOUR OWN TEAM.

Really why scott carson gone to west brom Giavanni gone to hull and Jermain pennant going to stoke prem players dont like going to smaller clubs :roll:

SMALLER CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 31 Aug 2008 15:14

Platypuss
voice of reason
WoodleyRoyal dave whelan has spent millions and millions of this own cash ut dosent see the need to spread his name accross his stadium

Your right, Dave Whelan, who owns JJB, has done nothing to spread his name across the JJB stadium.

Dave Whelan doesn't own JJB.

He was owner when JJB started sponsoring the team and stadium though. Which I would imagine he was very key in arranging, though of course it still a completely different scenario to Madejski naming the stadium after himself. For Whelan, it was very cheap/free advertising of his own brand

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2008 15:15

but we wernt championship in the premiership funnilly enough, and we didnt buy anyone then

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 31 Aug 2008 15:15

WoodleyRoyal
voice of reason
WoodleyRoyal and please explain why would disclose our finacial figures if we are not a PLC and not on the stock market

Okay so you have done/doing GCSE business studies . . .well done! Unfotunately in the real world its not quite so straight forward! The club have released the accounts for the first season in the PL I believe it only costs a couple of quid to retrieve them. Why don't you type "accounts" into the search bit of HNA and see the numerous amount of times people have talked about them.

real clever yeah lets tell our rivals how much we have in the bank so teams can raid us. we dont release agent fee's we dont have the figures for undisclosed fee's no-one can say what our actuall figures are and the member who posted before you should be called "voice of reason"

Believe it or not the accounts I am referring to is not a Championship Manager style bank balance of 5 million etc . I saw a simplified profit and loss account, are you aware of what one of those is? It basically shows what is going in and out of business leaving an operating profit. Which was, in our first season in the PL, just over 5 million. You really don't have a clue do you?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 31 Aug 2008 15:16

RoyalBlue It was interesting hearing David O'Leary describing the last years at Villa under Doug Ellis, on Goals on Sunday, this am. He could well have been talking of where RFC stands today!

What's more, it sounds as though Ellis was succeeded by a very good chairman/owner from a footballing point of view.

That's an interesting point. What Ellis did for Villa was to make them virtually debt-free (I think they had a relatively small overdraft when Ellis sold). What that allowed the new owners to do was to buy Villa for whatever the price was in the knowledge that they wouldn't have to service lots of debt.

I know numpties like O'Leary were moaning about Ellis, as, indeed, were the Villa fans. But look where they are now! They are quite possibly one of the most financially healthy clubs in the PL and are well poised to make a real attempt to break into the 'Big Four'. Maybe if Ellis had spent the money that O'Leary wanted him to spend, they would have ended up like O'Leary's other club!!

Madejski has done and continues to do a good job at Reading. He has a manager who he knows will get the best out of the team while spending as little as possible, and he has also funded big transfers where he has been persuaded by Coppell. We are in the process of rebuilding this season, and I will be happy to be playing as we are playing, with a good mixture of Youth and Experience and show that we are capable of making a promotion push in the next couple of years. Mind you, if it happens this year I'll be even happier!!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Aug 2008 15:17

Platypuss
voice of reason
WoodleyRoyal dave whelan has spent millions and millions of this own cash ut dosent see the need to spread his name accross his stadium

Your right, Dave Whelan, who owns JJB, has done nothing to spread his name across the JJB stadium.

Dave Whelan doesn't own JJB.

Yes, but he did when the stadium was built.

I repeat: Madejski didn't want the stadium named after him.

When did Pennant go to Stoke?
Giovanni hardly counts... he made about 3 appearances for City and was about 5th choice.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 31 Aug 2008 15:17

WoodleyRoyal

I dread to think what their wage bills will read like at the end of the transfer window. They may have been very coy and managed to sign players on OK basics with lots of bonuses built in like Bolton did but players like Pennant would want parity with their current money, if not more for being a 'name' at the club

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2008 15:18

we increased season ticket prices when we went up by nearly £200 a ticket for less games and what did we get to show for it? was everyplayer on a promo wage increase in there contract i very much doubt it we got stiched out of serious money and we were robbed by not buying the players we needed to stay up

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 31 Aug 2008 15:20

WoodleyRoyal but we wernt championship in the premiership funnilly enough, and we didnt buy anyone then

We didn't have a reason to, as the first season proved. When Kitson says the problem last season was not talent but egos, I tend to believe him. And regardless, I am not interested in Reading becoming a "big" club. And I don't give a flying oxf*rd if that means I lack ambition blah blah blah. Too many people are sucked in by the idea of a big bucks cure to not winning every game. The only thing I didn't enjoy about the match yesterday was the booing. Miraculously I am able to watch football and not be instantly offended by the idea we aren't in the premiership.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2008 15:22

sorry we played the entire season without a right winger how can you say we didnt need anyone?? oster wasnt up to standard in the champ let alone in the prem

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 31 Aug 2008 15:23

WoodleyRoyal sorry we played the entire season without a right winger how can you say we didnt need anyone?? oster wasnt up to standard in the champ let alone in the prem

Don't tell me, you were one of those lovely people that booed John Oster every time he came on the pitch last season?

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 31 Aug 2008 15:24

WoodleyRoyal

I would rather Hanhemann and Federici over Scott Carson. Geovanni barely got a look in at Man City last year yet will still surely demand huge wages. Jermain Pennant is a text book mediocre Premiership Player, however he probably would have improved our team last year but I would have been surprised to see him join Reading when he was still in the mix at Liverpool playing in the Champions League.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2008 15:24

nothing to do with ego's we went down by one point a right winger would have got us 1 extra point over the season

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2008 15:25

BobKnows
WoodleyRoyal sorry we played the entire season without a right winger how can you say we didnt need anyone?? oster wasnt up to standard in the champ let alone in the prem

Don't tell me, you were one of those lovely people that booed John Oster every time he came on the pitch last season?

i never boo players just madjeski

voice of reason

by voice of reason » 31 Aug 2008 15:26

BobKnows
WoodleyRoyal but we wernt championship in the premiership funnilly enough, and we didnt buy anyone then

We didn't have a reason to, as the first season proved. When Kitson says the problem last season was not talent but egos, I tend to believe him. And regardless, I am not interested in Reading becoming a "big" club. And I don't give a flying oxf*rd if that means I lack ambition blah blah blah. Too many people are sucked in by the idea of a big bucks cure to not winning every game. The only thing I didn't enjoy about the match yesterday was the booing. Miraculously I am able to watch football and not be instantly offended by the idea we aren't in the premiership.

That is really, really gd post. Couldn't agree more.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 31 Aug 2008 15:27

WoodleyRoyal
BobKnows

i never boo players just madjeski

Good for you :roll:

Sure, the right wing was a weak area. I still haven't worked out the logic as to why I should boo Madesjki for that though... :?:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 31 Aug 2008 15:29

voice of reason Believe it or not the accounts I am referring to is not a Championship Manager style bank balance of 5 million etc . I saw a simplified profit and loss account, are you aware of what one of those is? It basically shows what is going in and out of business leaving an operating profit. Which was, in our first season in the PL, just over 5 million. You really don't have a clue do you?

Our first season or to the end of March 2007?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2008 15:29

madejski should be booed for a number of reasons not for that

330 posts