" Young Guns "

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: " Young Guns "

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2008 17:54

Archies Volley
Woodcote Royal Couldn't agree more....................yesterday's team selection restored much of the faith I used to have in Steve Coppell.

whilst I agree that it was great to see the youngsters and I am still a coppell man surely the selection was down to injuries (Cisse, Gunnar, Doobs, Marek), players being rested after the olympics (Bikey) and players being sold (Sonko)

As things stand, I think Pearce has got the shirt and that Coppell would have gone for Bikey had he felt the need.

Whilst I agree that it's hard to see Karacan keeping out a fit Marek, I believe he's cureently ahead of Cisse and lets face it, having already picked up a yellow Bikey could have been brought off the bench in the closing to stages to avoid the risk of a sending off.

In other words, Coppell played at least one of these players because he wanted to and almost certainly on the back of how well they played mid-week.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 31 Aug 2008 18:23

If Coppell was to come out and say he's let players go to give the youngsters a chance then I would applaud him for it. What concerns me though is that the young players may be starting simply because Coppell's hand has been forced.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2008 18:31

If you think about his available options yesterday, I thinks it's fairly clear that, that wasn't the case.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 31 Aug 2008 18:33

'greed with the post above. They played because they have earned the right and deserved to. And I think their performances yesterday proved that.

royal-arkansas

by royal-arkansas » 31 Aug 2008 18:38

Woodcote Royal If you think about his available options yesterday, I thinks it's fairly clear that, that wasn't the case.

I think thats a little negative he could have played Cisse in midfield again , He could have bought BK in ,, and he could have played SH at LB with Convey again .. SC didn't do any of this he played a young dynamic option

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 31 Aug 2008 19:03

royal-arkansas
Woodcote Royal If you think about his available options yesterday, I thinks it's fairly clear that, that wasn't the case.

I think thats a little negative he could have played Cisse in midfield again , He could have bought BK in ,, and he could have played SH at LB with Convey again .. SC didn't do any of this he played a young dynamic option

Cissé was injured, but otherwise yes.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 31 Aug 2008 19:57

I thought Bikey was unlikely having just come back from the Olympics and going off again on International duty.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 31 Aug 2008 20:03

Sarah Star I thought Bikey was unlikely having just come back from the Olympics and going off again on International duty.

Yeah, whats the point in having him in for one game, when he's just about to leave again?? I really hope he doesn't leave, we won't have any big muscular defenders if he does!!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Aug 2008 20:35

Sarah Star
Archies Volley
Woodcote Royal Couldn't agree more....................yesterday's team selection restored much of the faith I used to have in Steve Coppell.

whilst I agree that it was great to see the youngsters and I am still a coppell man surely the selection was down to injuries (Cisse, Gunnar, Doobs, Marek), players being rested after the olympics (Bikey) and players being sold (Sonko)

It's a shame it has to take that for them to get a game. I hope we don't go back to the 'established' players game after game when they are all fit and available tbh - not when the 'Young Guns' look this good.

Steve Coppell has said many times that whoever gets a chance in the team stays in the team for as long as they are performing and the team is winning - "senior" players certainly don't have a right to a place back when they come back from injury.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 31 Aug 2008 20:37

Its good to see the young guns having some fun...

Son of Len

by Son of Len » 31 Aug 2008 22:26

Re Pearce:
It seems to me that Coppell clearly felt comfortable enough to sell Sonko because Pearce is available. He gets the nod over Bikey for a couple of reasons:

1) Bikey has been on Olympic and int'l duty
2) Pearce will be the steadying influence of the Pearce/Bikey pairing that I expect to see by Easter, if not New Year's. That means Pearce needs to get his feet wet in league games with Ingi next to him, not Bikey or Sonks.

Re Karacan:
He may be the box-to-box ball-winning CM Reading needs. If so, Harper and Marek get to fight over the other spot. Could Harps be gone by tomorrow at this time?

Anyway, they did a fantastic job yesterday (listening to the BBCRB) and can only get better. Just expect a little inconsistency because of their youth. Although continued, non-stop improvement is always encouraged.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 31 Aug 2008 22:31

Uke Its good to see the young guns having some fun...

Crazy ladies keep 'em on the run.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Sep 2008 10:19

Arch
Uke Its good to see the young guns having some fun...

Crazy ladies keep 'em on the run.

I said "Soul Boy, let's hit the town!"
I said "Soul Boy, what's with the frown?"

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 01 Sep 2008 11:17

Forbury Lion If Coppell was to come out and say he's let players go to give the youngsters a chance then I would applaud him for it. What concerns me though is that the young players may be starting simply because Coppell's hand has been forced.

You should have come to the fans forum Forbes as he did say there that he much prefers to work with emerging talent than players at their peak or even on the way down.

That also explains he reluctance to spend JMs millions if in the past he has had so much more success with youngsters and at this club it is only now that the successful 2005-6 team is breaking up and we are no longer playing the best teams in the country that he sees the youngsters as being able to step up in preference to bringing in big money signings.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 01 Sep 2008 11:31

They're also significantly easier to manage.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Sep 2008 11:34

papereyes They're also significantly easier to manage.

many other managers will have failed to manage these players well enough though
since we got them in on a free or <500k transfer fee
yet SC manages them into 106 points, and 8th place

if it was that easy, surely everyone would be doing it

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 01 Sep 2008 12:06

brendywendy
papereyes They're also significantly easier to manage.

many other managers will have failed to manage these players well enough though
since we got them in on a free or <500k transfer fee
yet SC manages them into 106 points, and 8th place

if it was that easy, surely everyone would be doing it

Maybe I should have specified 'man-managed' to stop the numpty brigade clogging threads up.

"Younger players, with emerging talent and a hunger for success, are significantly easier to man-manage than players at their peak or even on the way down."

True across the board.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Sep 2008 15:21

not sure putting man, in front of manage cahnges the statement much either
i agree its "easier"
but doesnt refute my statement that a whole host of other managers hadnt managed to "man manage" the best out of them, till they came here

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Sep 2008 15:23

Mr P Gadd Young players are easier to groom

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 01 Sep 2008 15:38

YOU NEVER WIN ANYTHING WITH KIDS :wink: