Relief as the window closes and the clouds clear

145 posts
Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Relief as the window closes and the clouds clear

by Archie's penalty » 02 Sep 2008 13:43

Very happy that we have kept the Holy trinity of Hunt, Doyle and Harper. They're my favourite players out of those who were targeted by premiership clubs.

Agree with other posters that the guys sold were either past it, uncommitted or disruptive. We also got good prices for them.

Looking forward to four months of speculation free football!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Sep 2008 13:52

Some good prices obtained for players but the fact that we spent only about 10% of the money we received demonstrates the loss of ambition at this club.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 14:03

Schards#2 Some good prices obtained for players but the fact that we spent only about 10% of the money we received demonstrates the loss of ambition at this club.

surely weve just had to cut our ambition coat in line with the loss of earnings cloth

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2008 14:21

Schards#2 Some good prices obtained for players but the fact that we spent only about 10% of the money we received demonstrates the loss of ambition at this club.

Assuming that a) all the money we received for players has been paid & b) we haven't paid out all money on players bought.

It shows we are continuing with the transfer policy which served us well at this level previously.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 02 Sep 2008 14:39

No it doesn't. We've sold the players that we wanted to sell, all at good prices, and kept those we wanted to keep and who will form, with the emerging youth, the nucleus of a team that will challenge for promotion again within the next year or two. Maybe Coppell saw that a number of the Youths were ready for the first team now, as indeed seems to be the case. The money that we received for the sold players will help us in our long-term ambitions to be a financially secure club able to challenge, certainly in the CCC, and to a lessere extent, in the PL.

I suppose the ambition shown by Derby should be the way to go - spend loads of money and still struggle!!!

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 02 Sep 2008 15:23

Just proved to me what a farce this transfer window is and that nobody really wants it except Agents and the Arabs and Foreign investors who see the Premiership as their latest toy. I did think that the club had got it wrong with its transfer and wages policy, and that Mr Mad was being tight, but the events of last night have changed my view somewhat and I am now excitedly looking forward to some good competitive football in the Championship and seeing a number of our excellent youngsters develop such as Karacan,Pierce, Henry etc.

As for the players sold, I think we achieved excellent fees/deals:

Kitson was becoming too big for his boots and a disruptive influence in the camp. I think we had seen the best of him, and nothing he has done for Stoke so far has changed my view based on the highlights I have seen.

Shorey has never been the same since being picked for England against Brazil and again had a poor season last year. He looked very 'iffy' for Villa on Saturday's highlights i saw.

Sonko has never fully recovered from his injury and has lost that extra yard of pace. He will allways pop up with avital goal, but much too prone to make mistakes and give penalties away.

Little--STILL INJURED. That troublesome thigh has returned again. Probably will never play for Pompey.

All in all I think we have done very well out of this transfer window.

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 02 Sep 2008 15:30

Tilehurst Mike Just proved to me what a farce this transfer window is and that nobody really wants it except Agents and the Arabs and Foreign investors who see the Premiership as their latest toy. I did think that the club had got it wrong with its transfer and wages policy, and that Mr Mad was being tight, but the events of last night have changed my view somewhat and I am now excitedly looking forward to some good competitive football in the Championship and seeing a number of our excellent youngsters develop such as Karacan,Pierce, Henry etc.

Kitson was becoming too big for his boots and a disruptive influence in the camp. I think we had seen the best of him, and nothing he has done for Stoke so far has changed my view based on the highlights I have seen.

Shorey has never been the same since being picked for England against Brazil and again had a poor season last year. He looked very 'iffy' for Villa on Saturday's highlights i saw.

Sonko has never fully recovered from his injury and has lost that extra yard of pace. He will allways pop up with avital goal, but much too prone to make mistakes and give penalties away.

Little--STILL INJURED. That troublesome thigh has returned again. Probably will never play for Pompey.

Blimey I tend to agree with everything you said there. Hated watching SSN last night fearing one of our remaining stars would be snatched away.

royal-arkansas

by royal-arkansas » 02 Sep 2008 15:32

I think congratulations need to go to SC , and the board of directors for good business over the summer .. good signings in and good money for players that have gone .. Can we stop all this negitivity and start supporting the team we love. If this is going to be a promotion chasing year its going to need Players , Management and the Fans to get behind it .. Those who have not invested in a season ticket this year do it NOW.

coyrls

by coyrls » 02 Sep 2008 15:43

There are a lot of disadvantages with the transfer window system but now that the window is closed I think it's working to our advantage. If we are looking like automatic promotion candidates by Christmas and teams like Stoke and Hull are looking doomed with others having a fight on their hands, the number of teams that will look like attractive prospects for our players is going to be reduced. That should mean a good chance of keeping the team together (and perhaps of being able to strengthen).

Bob the Builder

by Bob the Builder » 02 Sep 2008 16:40

Rubbish, people need to be a bit more realistic on here. We have a very very good squad for this division and we have cover in every position.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Sep 2008 16:43

Bob the Builder

Rubbish, people need to be a bit more realistic on here. We have a very very good squad for this division and we have cover in every position.

'Greed. Anymore players would stint the progress of the youth players, and create problems in the squad.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 16:46

Tilehurst Mike Just proved to me what a farce this transfer window is and that nobody really wants it except Agents and the Arabs and Foreign investors who see the Premiership as their latest toy. I did think that the club had got it wrong with its transfer and wages policy, and that Mr Mad was being tight, but the events of last night have changed my view somewhat and I am now excitedly looking forward to some good competitive football in the Championship and seeing a number of our excellent youngsters develop such as Karacan,Pierce, Henry etc.

so much so a few teams may be wondering if buying reading players is a good idea by the end of the season if they dont start performing

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

I have always been a sceptic

by ankeny » 02 Sep 2008 16:55

But after a nail biting Monday evening I can now see that our club is safe in Coppells hands.He could have blinked at the Hunt offer and give in but he didnt.He said their were no new Doyle offers for the last few weeks and some of us did not believe him but it turned out to be true.Now the pressure is off the players I think we can look foreward to a fruitful new season.All the best Ankeny

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Sep 2008 16:56

The squad as it is is fine and time will tell if we needed to supplement it. I think come January we will be in a position to strengthen but hopefully this will be done without any major losses.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 02 Sep 2008 16:57

This is the first time I've felt the transfer window has suited this club. When you're trying to buy players prices get jacked up because people need bigger squads and that's even more the case in August when there's not so much time to bring in replacements. Only a handful of Premiership clubs can cope with this, and I felt we suffered when we were up there.

However now it really works in our favour. All the uncertainty over Hunt, Doyle and Harper, which would affect them however professional they are, is gone. Our squad is protected until New Year and if it looks like we could well go back up around then our players could be inclined to hang around until the end of the season, especially when those interested in them will most likely be threatened by relegation. I guess all systems have winners and losers, and right now this suits us.

Streets

Re: I have always been a sceptic

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 16:58

Bye then. :|

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 Sep 2008 17:01

What? The Hunt offer that never was you mean????

Agree that hopefully now the silly seoasn is out of the way the players can now focus on what they are paid to do - well at least until Xmas anyway.

glosson

by glosson » 02 Sep 2008 17:02

I have always been a septic.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 02 Sep 2008 17:06

OK, tanks for that.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular